Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I'm looking for a time travel movie. I know people are going to say Primer but reading the synopsis of Primer I don't think that's it.

Here is what I remember:
Advertised heavily online and especially YouTube. Came out between 2009 and 2013
It was a movie about a group that builds a time machine.
It turns out that the person we think is "current time" guy is actually from the future and he's secretly trying to sabotage (or he travels from the future secretly trying to sabotage the machine).
I remember that you basically see them test the machine and it fails, then towards the end of the movie you see the same scene from a different perspective and you see the sabotage happening.
The movie is really dark (like it's a dark movie from a lighting perspective)

It's Primer dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arrhythmia posted:

It's Primer dude.

Primer came out before 2009 and also sounds nothing at all like what is being described there.

I mean okay if you squint a little, maybe, but the guy definitely isn't sabotaging anything.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Arrhythmia posted:

It's Primer dude.

It's possible but reading the synopsis of Primer it sounds like most of the time machine stuff is in their garage where as this movie the time machine stuff is in an actual lab.

food court bailiff posted:

Primer came out before 2009 and also sounds nothing at all like what is being described there.

I mean okay if you squint a little, maybe, but the guy definitely isn't sabotaging anything.

Primer came out in 2004 and the movie I'm thinking of was definitely advertised online well after 2004. I know the movie I'm thinking of came out at least after 2007 because I was out of the military, the movie I'm thinking of had a large scale digital release (which was how I watched it), and while having some similar plot points of Primer, sounds vastly different.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 23, 2019

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I was gonna say it sounds like Primer but not quite, but I just remembered there is in fact a fairly important part of Primer involving sabotaging the original experiment. I don't think you ever actually see it fail or w/e tho. It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

It's possible but reading the synopsis of Primer it sounds like most of the time machine stuff is in their garage where as this movie the time machine stuff is in an actual lab.

There's a scene in a science lab in primer. They think the experiment failed because they dropped a ping pong ball in the machine that was still there when they reopen it. A biologist looks at the ball and says "this is covered in way more biology slime than could have been created in three minutes". This is how they realize the machine actually works, it sends things back and forth through time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I was gonna say it sounds like Primer but not quite, but I just remembered there is in fact a fairly important part of Primer involving sabotaging the original experiment. I don't think you ever actually see it fail or w/e tho. It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

....What? I think you're misremembering.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SalTheBard posted:

I'm looking for a time travel movie. I know people are going to say Primer but reading the synopsis of Primer I don't think that's it.

Here is what I remember:
Advertised heavily online and especially YouTube. Came out between 2009 and 2013
It turns out that the person we think is "current time" guy is actually from the future and he's secretly trying to sabotage (or he travels from the future secretly trying to sabotage the machine).
I remember that you basically see them test the machine and it fails, then towards the end of the movie you see the same scene from a different perspective and you see the sabotage happening.

Is it in Spanish? It might be Cronocrimenes which was called Time Crimes in the US. Came out in 2007

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

....What? I think you're misremembering.

Nope. Abe's stated goal at the end of the film is to gently caress up the original experiment to prevent any more tomfoolery. It's also why he goes back after the Granger thing. He does a lot to try and gently caress up the original box.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Primer is also like, an hour long if that. Just watch it to check.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Arrhythmia posted:

I will

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Totally wrong plot, but while you're checking Primer out also give Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) a shot.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Is Primer the one where they get eaten by some monster in the end as a result of their time travel?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah it's not Primer, although this is a hell of a movie.

frogge posted:

Totally wrong plot, but while you're checking Primer out also give Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) a shot.

I will. It got good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not that it will probably help, but I believe the Time Machine from the movie I'm thinking of ran on some sort of nuclear mineral or something like that. The character that is sabotaging steals the actual material needed to run and replaces it with something else.

gently caress I wish I could just travel back in time to figure it out.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Is Primer the one where they get eaten by some monster in the end as a result of their time travel?

You thinking of the drat Langoliers?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ok Time Crimes sounds loving cool as hell too. Going to watch that when I get home from work.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah it's awesome

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

SalTheBard posted:

Here is what I remember:

Is it "Synchronicity"?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Obsidianheart posted:

Is it "Synchronicity"?

Yes!!! Holy poo poo thank you!!!!!

EDIT: So after reading the synopsis I realize that I was off in some areas, but was still generally pretty close.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 25, 2019

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Cosmik Slop posted:

There was this animated short, very early CGI I think, about this guy's disembodied head flying around a room. He was singing in this over the top, operatic Italian (?) and the subtitles were really funny. I remember "Ah! I bounce and sing" and "send me my shoulders". Also I think there was something to do with a cow? It made a big impression on me as a kid but I haven't been able to find out anything about it since.

I came here to post this. It was really bad CG, like intentionally low poly, and creepy looking. a galloping horse, the head oscillates faster and faster outside a window.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

ChaosTheory posted:

I came here to post this. It was really bad CG, like intentionally low poly, and creepy looking. a galloping horse, the head oscillates faster and faster outside a window.

This last part sounds like... whatever you want to call this thing. Val Val Val, I guess?
It has nothing to do with any floating, operatic Italian head, though, so maybe this isn't it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sjivgLoikcg

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was Time Cop. It's always Time Cop.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Here it goes.

A youtube video posted to the forums. It's some power rangers esque action heroes and super villains. The villain happens to be a Velociraptor in, i think, a leather jacket. Pretty sure there was some 90's era metal guitar riffs, like something you'd hear in a dreamcast video game, or a commercial for EXTREME BEEF JERKY. Spoiler, but the good guy beats the evil velociraptor-man with a magic medallion. Like, the only thing I remember clearly is the bad guy shouting, "THE MEDALLION!" before being vanquished. It's like a minute and a half video but it was a wild ride.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phy posted:

I think this might be Robotman, a push at a multimedia marketing character. The newspaper comic is still going, however it's completely shifted over to what was originally a side character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_(comic_strip)

That's the guy. Thanks.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

paid money to post posted:

Here it goes.

A youtube video posted to the forums. It's some power rangers esque action heroes and super villains. The villain happens to be a Velociraptor in, i think, a leather jacket. Pretty sure there was some 90's era metal guitar riffs, like something you'd hear in a dreamcast video game, or a commercial for EXTREME BEEF JERKY. Spoiler, but the good guy beats the evil velociraptor-man with a magic medallion. Like, the only thing I remember clearly is the bad guy shouting, "THE MEDALLION!" before being vanquished. It's like a minute and a half video but it was a wild ride.

What you described reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/N2IWxqvsSY8

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ChaosTheory posted:

That's "La Salla" by Richard Condie, it's very early CGI, he also made "the big Snit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaNB-ruHpQ

yaffle fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 26, 2019

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Last Visible Dog posted:

This last part sounds like... whatever you want to call this thing. Val Val Val, I guess?
It has nothing to do with any floating, operatic Italian head, though, so maybe this isn't it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sjivgLoikcg

Thank you, this is exactly it. I'm shocked that was is so hard to search for these last few years.

yaffle posted:

That's "La Salla" by Richard Condie, it's very early CGI, he also made "the big Snit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaNB-ruHpQ

Thank you, this wasn't it, however, it must be what Cosmik Slop was talking about. So I hope he sees this post.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Raspberry Bang posted:

What you described reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/N2IWxqvsSY8

You beautiful son of a bitch. That wasn't it, but it WAS something on their channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvlxDcALQ6g

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
A (probably) edutainment game about Vikings, specifically a Viking village, from about 25 years ago - I think it was isometric and you could walk around/control an avatar? I only got to play it once because it was a reward for finishing your schoolwork early and uh I wasn’t a great student :v: I think that’s partly why it has stuck with me, it seemed much more interesting and visually appealing than other edutainment stuff but I never got to finish it :(

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
a 3d short animation with soldiers on a cliff(?), each guy jumping off, one by one. i want to say it’s from the 00s?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
An old animation movie that's your incredibly basic kunf fu story: evil kung fu master kills parents of kid, kid trains with an old martial arts master, years go by, kid has king fu duel evil master and wins, but doesn't kill him.

I saw it when I was like 4-5(early 90s)so aside from that, a scene where the kid was training by grabbing small balls from atop some poles and that the VHS case was green, I can't remember a thing. It could have Japanese, Chinese or Italian even.

Edit:
Another animation movie that I saw during the same time. I'm almost certain its some kind of anime and again, I can barely remember it. There were like 3 main characters. It was sci-fi where evil robots hunted the characters after they had arrived on a planet. There was a big city. The most memorable scene was the main character being in a completely white room and he saw a skeleton reaching out to something... which turned out to be a gun.

Honestly my memories of these are so blurry that its probably impossible to find them aside from pure luck.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 12, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Another animation movie that I saw during the same time. I'm almost certain its some kind of anime and again, I can barely remember it. There were like 3 main characters. It was sci-fi where evil robots hunted the characters after they had arrived on a planet. There was a big city. The most memorable scene was the main character being in a completely white room and he saw a skeleton reaching out to something... which turned out to be a gun.

I feel like this is Galaxy Express 999 (made in 1979 but released in English a few years later). It checks almost all of your boxes; the skeleton / white room / gun thing could be a few scenes sort of mashed together in memory.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8 Ball posted:

A (probably) edutainment game about Vikings, specifically a Viking village, from about 25 years ago - I think it was isometric and you could walk around/control an avatar? I only got to play it once because it was a reward for finishing your schoolwork early and uh I wasn’t a great student :v: I think that’s partly why it has stuck with me, it seemed much more interesting and visually appealing than other edutainment stuff but I never got to finish it :(
Was it one of these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Child

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_of_the_Gods_(video_game)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms_of_England_II:_Vikings,_Fields_of_Conquest

My white whale is also an old edutainment game. It was very bizarre, not in 3-D, definitely for DOS or Windows 3.1. It was vaguely a mystery or adventure game, you start in a town and at some point you are traveling down a river (maybe the Amazon?) by plugging in the angles at which you want your boat to travel. The last thing you do is "draw" some crystal shapes as some sort of cure for something in a lab. It sounds insane but I swear it was real, this would have been '96 or so I played it but it definitely came out way earlier.

E: It's almost certainly abandonware, and I suspect it was just one of those old Windows shareware games that has simply disappeared

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 12, 2019

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was it one of these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Child

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_of_the_Gods_(video_game)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms_of_England_II:_Vikings,_Fields_of_Conquest

My white whale is also an old edutainment game. It was very bizarre, not in 3-D, definitely for DOS or Windows 3.1. It was vaguely a mystery or adventure game, you start in a town and at some point you are traveling down a river (maybe the Amazon?) by plugging in the angles at which you want your boat to travel. The last thing you do is "draw" some crystal shapes as some sort of cure for something in a lab. It sounds insane but I swear it was real, this would have been '96 or so I played it but it definitely came out way earlier.

E: It's almost certainly abandonware, and I suspect it was just one of those old Windows shareware games that has simply disappeared

Is it The Crystal Rainforest? Sorta hits a lot of your points.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jeza posted:

Is it The Crystal Rainforest? Sorta hits a lot of your points.
Yes! Lmao. I loving love goons.

e: It was a really early version, too, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMi0QoLB4gM

God drat, this video is a trip for me. Sadly it's just a demo, apparently the full version is real hard to find. Almost every other screenshot etc. is from a later edition.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 12, 2019

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes! Lmao. I loving love goons.

e: It was a really early version, too, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMi0QoLB4gM

God drat, this video is a trip for me. Sadly it's just a demo, apparently the full version is real hard to find. Almost every other screenshot etc. is from a later edition.

I also played a slightly later version in primary school. My school bought a bunch of computers and hired a general purpose nerd to run IT classes while I was there, mostly to look modern. There was basically little to no lesson planning because it was so new. Most of the kids were doing Mavis Beacon touch typing lessons, but I already could, so I just spent every lesson playing SimCity 2000 (hell yes), Zork (could barely comprehend) and this.

Since progress never saved, I never did reach the end. It became like some kind of proto-speedrunning, just getting as far into it I could with a couple of friends. I guess it also sort of haunts me a little bit.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i've always dreamed of finding one of those bricks of coke you hear about washed up on the beach

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

I feel like this is Galaxy Express 999 (made in 1979 but released in English a few years later). It checks almost all of your boxes; the skeleton / white room / gun thing could be a few scenes sort of mashed together in memory.

...That might actually be it. I checked out the trailer and it does feel very faintly familiar.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
When i went to the movies as a kid in southeastern ohio, id get this candy called “BC’s”, which were an M&M ripoff. They came in blue boxes and red boxes IIRC. I cannot find any evidence they ever existed.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Brolander posted:

When i went to the movies as a kid in southeastern ohio, id get this candy called “BC’s”, which were an M&M ripoff. They came in blue boxes and red boxes IIRC. I cannot find any evidence they ever existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ive been trying to find some sort of show, at least an hour long, where Tiff Needell tries to decide which is his favourite Ferrari. It has a bunch of them in an outside courtyard and he goes over the history of some of them like the old Dino's etc. And then he tries to decide which one he likes the most.