Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

multijoe posted:

They were trying to protect Klassje, who they thought did it in response to being raped by the mercenary. Basically they thought the worst they'd have to deal with was the RCM and weren't aware Krenel would massively escalate the situation taking them at their word that they lynched him.

I'm not sure they ever thought she was raped. I thought they told her to say she was raped.

e: Decided we should probably be spoilering this.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The hardies actions make sense, Klassje and Ruby’s don’t.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Never mind that it's extremely possible that escalating the situation was precisely Klassje's job.
Nah, she wanted to keep a low profile so as not to get murked by the corpo hitmen which is what exactly happens if you arrest her. The Deserter shooting the merc made things way harder than she would ever want. The whole coverup was just a mad scramble that nobody thought enough through because how quick it went down.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 12, 2019

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

MAJOR spoiler

thanks bud :unsmith:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VelociBacon posted:

This game was good. I'd have appreciated some kind of fast travel system to maybe 3 areas (could have used Kim's car as a viable conceit for this).

The problem with that is then you'd miss new thought orbs popping up near stuff as you blunder around.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

MAJOR spoiler

thanks bud :unsmith:

I really liked this minor reveal of your character's past and how it coincides with the mechanics of the gameplay itself.

Lots of games where you travel on foot, you are running everywhere. Unless there's some mechanical reason be it stamina, stealth, or careful exploration, you're not going to waste time by slowly walking everywhere. Even at the end of day 1 Kim mentions Harry running everywhere as an odd and exhausting quirk. I thought it was a nice ludonarrative design choice.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My second playthrough I ran around in just one shoe because I forgot to pick up the second one and harry was stupefied about how I was able to keep running with just one shoe. I told him it was my penance

now I wonder if going through the entire game like that or without shoes entirely would lead to some alternate conversations

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 12, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

The hardies actions make sense, Klassje and Ruby’s don’t.

Klaasje is concerned that a dude getting shot while loving her will result in her getting picked up by the RCM and held for questioning, which will then result in her being murdered by her former employers, and her kneejerk reaction to fear is to attempt to throw the nearest person under the bus. The coverup is something she thought of literally in the time it took her to walk downstairs which is probably why it's so stupid, but then again she probably didn't expect the RCM to actually investigate a dock lynching so thoroughly considering that they barely show up in Martinaise to begin with and I would imagine she just assumed the Union would strongarm them into loving off or, worst case scenario, they'd bust Titus and then declare Case Closed. So, either they don't investigate or they end up going head to head with the Union about it but either way, she stays out of it.

As for Ruby, even if she isn't a psycho-stalker like Klaasje tries to paint her as, she definitely had some kind of a thing for her and would naturally want to help her out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

why does everyone keep spoiler tagging ruby's name? that there's a character called ruby isn't going to spoil anything for anyone

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One thing I’m not clear on, the Boys seemingly believe that the coverup was Ruby’s idea, but Ruby says that the coverup was Klassje’s idea, and was the one putting the body vertical in the shower. I didn’t get the impression Ruby was lying about that, but isn’t it something the Boys should have known?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

One thing I’m not clear on, the Boys seemingly believe that the coverup was Ruby’s idea, but Ruby says that the coverup was Klassje’s idea, and was the one putting the body vertical in the shower. I didn’t get the impression Ruby was lying about that, but isn’t it something the Boys should have known?

Not necessarily. Klaasje tells Ruby what to do, then Ruby tells everyone else what to do. Since Klaasje wasn't actually present at the hanging it seems likely she just told Ruby the plan and then let her handle the rest, and I doubt Ruby would have relayed that fact to Titus.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Naturally they should have ran Klaasje out of town and left the scene as is and locked the door.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Accordion Man posted:

Nah, she wanted to keep a low profile so as not to get murked by the corpo hitmen which is what exactly happens if you arrest her.

Do we *know* that happens or are we trusting her ?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't get all the "fast travel/walk faster" talk. This game is meant to be played slow and soak in the awesome music and atmosphere. Half the time I don't even make my little Hairy man run. I just walk him place to place because this a world I enjoy being in, not a game I'm looking to beat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Someone said it’s a Shivers thing, and Shivers never steers you wrong.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

If you arrest her there's a shivers scene later where a bunch of dudes who definitely aren't cops come to see her in jail and it's implied it doesn't go well for her.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shivers corroborates her claims.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

why does everyone keep spoiler tagging ruby's name? that there's a character called ruby isn't going to spoil anything for anyone

I know I was disappointed to come across it untagged when I was on my first playthrough, because you can meet pretty much everyone else by Day 3, and seeing posts about people looking for ruby with huge spoiler blocks following below told me that she's gonna be significant character and likely I'll be close to the endgame by the time I hear that name. Which is not really a massive spoiler, but something I would've rather not known, still.

Though tbf even if you speed-scroll past all the spoilered posts, with how bad a lot of people are at using spoiler tags, you're gonna end up getting spoiled on things you don't want to anyway, so by the time game's out for a week or so it's better to stay out of any discussions until you finish it.

chaosapiant posted:

I don't get all the "fast travel/walk faster" talk. This game is meant to be played slow and soak in the awesome music and atmosphere. Half the time I don't even make my little Hairy man run. I just walk him place to place because this a world I enjoy being in, not a game I'm looking to beat.

I'm the exact same, though it helps that I love the art style so much. Even when I run it's more like in little stop-starts so I have enough time to gawk at the brush strokes again or appreciate some details I skipped over previously. Also, the one time I decided to beeline across screens, I missed clicking the orb that would've warned me about the Tribunal before it kicked off and my unoptimized clothing resulted in Kim getting shot, which changed the entire tone of the playthrough lol.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I had a similar thing where inland empire popped up to warn me, but it was the middle of the night and I had only just dismissed the Headless FALN event so I was assuming it was part of that, and I figured I would deal with that later, and so WHOOPS

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Whoever it was that suggested trying Cheat Engine's speed hack in this game, you're a hero & thank you. Kick it on for the long walks, turn it off for the great talks, and just like that my main frustration with the game is resolved.

I don't know if I really prefer the dice based conversation checks - I get that we "fail forward" a lot of the time here but it feels lovely to spend a lot of points and gear up only to fail 97% chances based on a poor roll. The gameplay flow when you succeed at what you're good at makes more intuitive sense to me and feels less like an unfair barrier to progress.

I guess the game is trying to teach me that failing is actually ok and not to be so neurotic about it. I haven't been save scumming at all, though, and it's got me a few times when it seemed like my character is in all ways ready to proceed down that path but for a bad roll.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I do think that critical failure is pretty lame but critical success owns.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

When you do things out of sorts and have to slowly trudge through like 4 loading screens on something when you just want to basically flip a switch its irritating. The loading screens are a bit baffling given how sparse the game is. I don't know how to video game very well but you'd think they'd be pretty obsolete in a compact thing like this. Late game when you can sorta buy or mini quest whatever points you need it becomes annoying. But I do like the early and late game pacing a lot.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Agreed posted:

Whoever it was that suggested trying Cheat Engine's speed hack in this game, you're a hero & thank you. Kick it on for the long walks, turn it off for the great talks, and just like that my main frustration with the game is resolved.

I don't know if I really prefer the dice based conversation checks - I get that we "fail forward" a lot of the time here but it feels lovely to spend a lot of points and gear up only to fail 97% chances based on a poor roll. The gameplay flow when you succeed at what you're good at makes more intuitive sense to me and feels less like an unfair barrier to progress.

I guess the game is trying to teach me that failing is actually ok and not to be so neurotic about it. I haven't been save scumming at all, though, and it's got me a few times when it seemed like my character is in all ways ready to proceed down that path but for a bad roll.

my main gripe is that the fail forward thing doesn't really feel like it works that often in practice. a lot of the white checks, when failed, don't feel like they move the story forward or provide you with alternate outcomes, it just turns into "HARD STOP come back later and try again" and while there's not necessarily long-term consequences with failing white checks, it doesn't feel like that matches the experience as it was sold to me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Main thing failure seems to do is unlock some thoughts you wouldn't get otherwise.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I mean, with the way white checks outright specify all the bonuses and maluses (mali?) in play, you can treat them as mini-quests in they own right, finding all the things that might factor into the check.

Spamming the Measurehead Physical Instrument check until you succeed won't get you an interesting early interaction with the scab leader (for example).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

my main gripe is that the fail forward thing doesn't really feel like it works that often in practice. a lot of the white checks, when failed, don't feel like they move the story forward or provide you with alternate outcomes, it just turns into "HARD STOP come back later and try again" and while there's not necessarily long-term consequences with failing white checks, it doesn't feel like that matches the experience as it was sold to me.

So far the only seemingly critical white check I've encountered so far is in the church. If you fail to hear something, there's not a way to progress the party crew from moving on in. Which is odd, because on failure one of your brain mans says "oh maybe need better headphones, let's go ask the speedfreaks." If you go and talk to them you don't get any new options to proceed. You have to go back and re-do the check. I usually float a level up specifically for checks I might not pass or be on the cusp of beating, so it was fine, and I'm sure this segment isn't core to completion but having accidentally wandered into the finale once before reloading -- it seems this tech will be important.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Khanstant posted:

So far the only seemingly critical white check I've encountered so far is in the church. If you fail to hear something, there's not a way to progress the party crew from moving on in. Which is odd, because on failure one of your brain mans says "oh maybe need better headphones, let's go ask the speedfreaks." If you go and talk to them you don't get any new options to proceed. You have to go back and re-do the check. I usually float a level up specifically for checks I might not pass or be on the cusp of beating, so it was fine, and I'm sure this segment isn't core to completion but having accidentally wandered into the finale once before reloading -- it seems this tech will be important.

i almost wish they had made it so there was no obvious, objective indicator of your success or failure, the game just rolled the dice behind the scenes and proceeded with the outcome you rolled. i feel like it'd be a lot easier to immerse myself in "failure isn't a bad thing, it's just a part of life, go with the flow" if there was nothing indicating to me whether or not i had failed / succeeded.

most of the narrative reactions make it pretty clear anyway whether or not you achieved the outcome you wanted, which makes the whole "roll some dice and flash the screen green or red based on outcome" feel especially game-y.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Post-game spoilers:

So, how differently can the game go, and where are the crucial moments? I'm going to assume the tribunal and what happens to Klaasje are key moments.

In my game, I shot first but hit the mercenary leader's armour with the first shot, and hit him in the head with the second. Kim shot the mercenary sniper, and then everyone bum-rushed the remaining mercenary while the leader shot me in the armour and then the leg. All in all, six people died.

I let Klaasje go, buying her story that imprisoning her would mean her death.

How could that stuff have gone differently? Presumably if I'd hit the mercenary leader in the head first time it would have saved some lives?

Are there other crucial moments? Presumably ignoring the cryptid stuff means you are less prepared when you actually meet it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Gort posted:

Post-game spoilers:

So, how differently can the game go, and where are the crucial moments? I'm going to assume the tribunal and what happens to Klaasje are key moments.

In my game, I shot first but hit the mercenary leader's armour with the first shot, and hit him in the head with the second. Kim shot the mercenary sniper, and then everyone bum-rushed the remaining mercenary while the leader shot me in the armour and then the leg. All in all, six people died.

I let Klaasje go, buying her story that imprisoning her would mean her death.

How could that stuff have gone differently? Presumably if I'd hit the mercenary leader in the head first time it would have saved some lives?

Are there other crucial moments? Presumably ignoring the cryptid stuff means you are less prepared when you actually meet it.

i'm pretty sure your outcome of the tribunal is the most optimal one (or it's the most optimal one i've seen). it can get a lot worse, but what you saw i think is the "best" outcome. OTOH if Kim does get shot AND you've made friends with Cuno then he becomes your sidekick for the final section of the game, which is loving AMAZING

not bothering to investigate the with the cryptozoologists can definitely diminish certain things. in my second ending where i totally skipped them, the cryptid showed up and then immediately ran away because my skill check to talk to it was at 3% success

how you handle ruby can affect some stuff in the final dialogue.

likewise, finding your missing gear can make a difference (but finding despite not ever reporting it missing doesn't seem to make as big a deal). since you have to cooperate with evart to complete some of these goals, you automatically get hassled about being his lackey if you do recover everything

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i almost wish they had made it so there was no obvious, objective indicator of your success or failure, the game just rolled the dice behind the scenes and proceeded with the outcome you rolled. i feel like it'd be a lot easier to immerse myself in "failure isn't a bad thing, it's just a part of life, go with the flow" if there was nothing indicating to me whether or not i had failed / succeeded.

most of the narrative reactions make it pretty clear anyway whether or not you achieved the outcome you wanted, which makes the whole "roll some dice and flash the screen green or red based on outcome" feel especially game-y.

I also personally wish there wasn't a save system if they're doing a game dice roll thing. Dice rolls to me in a videogame 100%, savescum until roll I want occurs. This is a problem that in theory could be resolved by willpower, a stat I've never put any points into. I try my best to roll with failed checks, but there are times when I simply cannot resist. Making the rich lady admit she's only riding around on that boat because she's rich... that was a moment I needed to happen in my reality, despite failing the first check attempt.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Where is the place where you can sleep for free after crossing the river on the third day?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Where is the place where you can sleep after crossing the river on the third day?

talk to the old lady with the wash board

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wafflecopper posted:

I was a little annoyed at Steam because the very first trading card I got for DE was hers so not only did I know there was a character named Ruby, I knew what she looked like and I easily predicted that the "eighth Hardie" was going to be her. It's not exactly a big spoiler, but it's just a bit annoying to have a story beat telegraphed for basically no reason.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
This game is fantastic. I'm in the middle of my second playthrough as a FYS/MOT superstar cop. Some of the skill check failures are amazing. I like that so many of the "not actually a good idea" skills want you to torment Garte in some way.

I've seen complaints about the ending but I found it incredibly satisfying, even though I missed a huge chunk of it (the dream).

Volition is my phone wallpaper now. He's got my back.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gort posted:

Post-game spoilers:

The major plot beats don't change, but the manner in which things happen can, sometimes to fairly major effect.

For example, an excerpt from the very end-game debriefing with the Precinct 41 cops and your new Martinaise partner when Jean grills you over a shitshow tribunal result:

the book reference is just :discourse:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i enjoyed the video game. is it possible to hide that you've lost your memory from kim for the entire game? I think that would be a fun second playthrough but I don't really wanna try if he just finds out no matter what.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GulagDolls posted:

i enjoyed the video game. is it possible to hide that you've lost your memory from kim for the entire game? I think that would be a fun second playthrough but I don't really wanna try if he just finds out no matter what.

I think I'd seen written that you can avoid telling him, and he won't find out so much as figure out from context that your memory is clearly fucky.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you manage to stay Raphaël Ambrosius Cousteau through the entire game?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Yes, and you even get a thought for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Can you manage to stay Raphaël Ambrosius Cousteau through the entire game?

What do you mean "stay"? That's who you are. I don't understand the question?