Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I honestly feel like anyone who finishes Prey and comes away thinking "And in the end, nothing you did matters" is either a fullbore sociopath IRL or just lacks extremely basic reading comprehension.

It is very common for people to complain about the ending of Prey. Whether it is a fundamentally bad or good ending, it is a very divisive ending. I think it's interesting to explore where the difference comes in but I'm not really getting anything interesting from the other side to make the conversation worth it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I spoiled the ending for myself when I played for an hour and was sure I wasn't going to like the game. Then I gave it another chance, thankfully. If I hadn't spoiled the ending I would have figured there was a twist. In the first hour I read part one of The Evacuation and thought the twist was going to be that Earth was already overrun by Typhon and Yu's memories got messed with trying to find a way to integrate Typhon DNA with humans so the remnants of humanity aboard Talos I would be able to "ascend" and survive in space. Turns out not only was I wrong, but The Evacuation is seemingly really about a (terrorist-caused?) accident involving Recycler technology on a bigger-than-Chernoybl scale.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Well, it also could be taken to matter in the sense that if Alex can't get a Typhon to empathise, ie if you play like a complete monster, then humanity really is irretrievably hosed.

agreed this is why i think the ending works by itself instead of just setting up a sequel

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
drat the amount of weird bugs in the last stretch of the game is disappointing. I've had the game say Dahl is in Oxygen Control in Life Support when really it's everyone I saved from suffocating, and to look up he's really in the Arboretum. Then have it not recognize that Dahl is in Medical Bay when I dragged his body there. Had to look up that the solution was to save and reload a bunch until it triggers. I also keep getting audio logs playing relating to things I've already taken care of, which I guess is why I'm having incorrect quest markers. Thankfully the major plot point of the giant Typhon crashing through the station made a bunch of unfinished side quests incomplete-able. I didn't feel like wandering through reinfested sections of the station to tag a bunch of computers and listen to some more audio logs and get Neuromods when I'm already nearly maxed out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
IMHO, the less human interaction in immersive sims, the better. They often break the illusion of the simulation, because you can't convincingly emulate a human being with a simple ruleset, the way you can, say, a physics problem.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

IMHO, the less human interaction in immersive sims, the better. They often break the illusion of the simulation, because you can't convincingly emulate a human being with a simple ruleset, the way you can, say, a physics problem.

If I didn't know the answer, I think the fact that the people you end up rescuing end up easily hopping around the station that's plagued with aliens that can transform into anything, or mind control humans, or control turrets, or are made out of pure fire/radiation/electricity, or are invisible, etc. would have broken my suspension of belief. The station feels so authentic until late in the game when human NPCs are introduced. I almost feel like humans shouldn't have been in the game in the first place, or at most been like the guy in the sealed escape pod who you never interact with beyond a binary switch of "Did you make a decision in this Trolley Problem yet?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As long as human interactions are minimally competently written, which is the baseline for at least even the worst characters in here, I can take it. Having everyone conveniently be a corpse was getting to me and I was a lot more forgiving of the game when I started coming across people to (very limitedly) interact with. You get to see them freak out, cry, mumble to themselves, chatter with each other, it just makes me feel more invested in the station and keeping it alive. Thats why I felt so betrayed and grossed out by the ending.

Hm, I did spend the entirety of the intro wrecking the entire set too once I got out of it so I DUNNO ALEX maybe you should have paid more attention to how badly some people take horrible deceptions. What can I say, I really liked getting into that sort of headspace. Even leaving the post credits scene out of it would have made the game so much better. You have all the flickers of the real world but you leave it to the player to work out. Spelling it out as a simulation and asking for a simple a/b choice is just insulting. I'm already playing the game, I've willingly given you my suspension of disbelief and sat down to have... well not a fun time but an interesting time. Then it throws it out at the last second.

I'm less angry at the game now and just so disappointed at how short sighted it is.

Also lmao that Alex doesnt expect to be instantly murdered once you have a fully empathic Typhon that's also learned that he's murdered 8000 people just for neuromods.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2019

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Replaying Prey now and loving it. The ending is great and sets up some awesome expectations for a possible future game we might never get, but its certainly inspiring.

The DLCs story and writing is trash in comparison, but the gameplay ideas are solid.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I personally would have liked the ending a lot more without the binary [kill 'em all/hold Alex's hand] choice at the very end. It all being a simulation really doesn't bother me that much; it's foreshadowed quite heavily with the mirror-neutron audio log, the "bad ending" wherein you leave the station through Alex's personal escape pod does all but literally show you the simulation room, and it's a neat little book-end from the game starting with a simulation.

I don't really know of a good way to fix my issue with the ending, nor do I believe it really could be fixed. It also doesn't really matter in the long run. The ending isn't so disappointing that it makes me think less of the game; I threw 30 hours down the drain because I couldn't step away from the very fun game, a 10 minute cutscene doesn't matter. It's a helluva lot better than the last 1/3 of System Shock 2, and I hated the endings of both Bioshock's as well but still love them.

Thanks for reading my long-rear end post that says absolutely nothing. A better topic: I can't decide between starting up a new/NG+ playthrough on a higher difficulty to try out different mods, or if I should jump into Mooncrash and experience new content...

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I would have preferred the ending if one of two things happened:

1) They made the ending sequence based on your actions in the simulation entirely. Have the judges actually make a stance on what it meant when you did X or Y. Then have the kill/shake be determined from it, maybe add another one where Alex does his "this is not the one" thing from the escape pod but he also doesn't have time for another go so has to risk it. I guarantee some people would be mad at that one but it would have worked for me.

2) Explicitly spell out the entire simulation and its purpose to the player at some point near, but not at, the end. Give me time to process exactly what is happening before I finish the game so I'm not feeling deflated at the very end of the game. I more or less came to terms with the ending after the fact, but losing me at the very moment the game ends is not ideal. I feel like you really don't want me to be thinking "so it's all pointless" at the end of the game before finally coming around to being relatively okay with it after the fact. The way I feel at the end of the a game sticks with me to an extent regardless of what comes before or after.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Thanks for reading my long-rear end post that says absolutely nothing. A better topic: I can't decide between starting up a new/NG+ playthrough on a higher difficulty to try out different mods, or if I should jump into Mooncrash and experience new content...

I found it difficult to return to the main game after Mooncrash. Knowing exactly where everything was and what was coming felt less exciting after the randomness of Mooncrash. I guess my advice is to do the new game run first and then do Mooncrash last, unless you think you'll burn out after the second run in which case just go ahead and play Mooncrash now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phigs posted:

I would have preferred the ending if one of two things happened:

1) They made the ending sequence based on your actions in the simulation entirely. Have the judges actually make a stance on what it meant when you did X or Y. Then have the kill/shake be determined from it, maybe add another one where Alex does his "this is not the one" thing from the escape pod but he also doesn't have time for another go so has to risk it. I guarantee some people would be mad at that one but it would have worked for me.

2) Explicitly spell out the entire simulation and its purpose to the player at some point near, but not at, the end. Give me time to process exactly what is happening before I finish the game so I'm not feeling deflated at the very end of the game. I more or less came to terms with the ending after the fact, but losing me at the very moment the game ends is not ideal. I feel like you really don't want me to be thinking "so it's all pointless" at the end of the game before finally coming around to being relatively okay with it after the fact. The way I feel at the end of the a game sticks with me to an extent regardless of what comes before or after.

Yep.
Have the characters at the end be operators/live humans depending on their state at the end of the game would contribute a lot and give you some sort of feeling over control of the ending, that what you saw and did was a true record of events.

Or even trim down the junk at the end of the game and have one last bit in the lab where you try save/murder all these people once you've been woken up or just jump into a giant blender.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

going through anger, depression, bargaining already. :|

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There are other video games in the ocean dude, you’ll get through it. It takes time, but once you find a new video game, Prey will become a distant memory

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

If I didn't know the answer, I think the fact that the people you end up rescuing end up easily hopping around the station that's plagued with aliens that can transform into anything, or mind control humans, or control turrets, or are made out of pure fire/radiation/electricity, or are invisible, etc. would have broken my suspension of belief. The station feels so authentic until late in the game when human NPCs are introduced. I almost feel like humans shouldn't have been in the game in the first place, or at most been like the guy in the sealed escape pod who you never interact with beyond a binary switch of "Did you make a decision in this Trolley Problem yet?"

Why is that a problem? You manage to basically clear out the entire station single-handedly, why is it impossible for another person to so much as travel from point A to point B? Other staff on Talos are for-sure using neuromods to gain enhanced abilities, the game even confirms that.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

*huff, puff* came here as quick as I could from 1995 to say: do NOT go see The Usual Suspects

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I found it difficult to return to the main game after Mooncrash. Knowing exactly where everything was and what was coming felt less exciting after the randomness of Mooncrash. I guess my advice is to do the new game run first and then do Mooncrash last, unless you think you'll burn out after the second run in which case just go ahead and play Mooncrash now.

Your memory may vary, but I started a prey through Prey a few months after I beat it the first time, with someone else. I had already forgotten where things were and wasn't much help beyond pointing out how to figure out where to go the in-game ways. I was playing through some of the early stuff with a buddy last weekend since he had been stuck since last time I bugged him about if he'd played it yet. When I took controls I had a pretty good sense of some of the areas, like I could get to Morgan's office real easy and stuff like that, but it's not like I could route him through a speedrun based on memory.

Maybe if I'd played two play-throughs back-to-back, but with time and Mooncrash in between I think I could play a new game through with half-new eyes.

Mooncrash also isn't immune from learning the map, through repetition I knew Mooncrash's map better than the main games. The location of most stuff changes and routes can be blocked, but after a while you really get the hang of getting around. You'll learn where some of the static drops are, where "good" containers for stuff are. Blocked routes eventually start to feel relatively trivial, either through a strong loadout, sensible route, or just spending time on your first life doing the basic "open areas" tasks. Not to mention you can also cheat a little by dropping all your crap for the next life to pick up.

LifeLynx posted:

I spoiled the ending for myself when I played for an hour and was sure I wasn't going to like the game. Then I gave it another chance, thankfully. If I hadn't spoiled the ending I would have figured there was a twist. In the first hour I read part one of The Evacuation and thought the twist was going to be that Earth was already overrun by Typhon and Yu's memories got messed with trying to find a way to integrate Typhon DNA with humans so the remnants of humanity aboard Talos I would be able to "ascend" and survive in space. Turns out not only was I wrong, but The Evacuation is seemingly really about a (terrorist-caused?) accident involving Recycler technology on a bigger-than-Chernoybl scale.

I went unspoiled and the twist was unexpected for me. I kept thinking that the whole thing was just still the same simulation. I was chucking crap at windows and stuff trying to break into "space," which I assumed was full of assholes doing tests on me. When I first got into space, I started to suspect maybe I was wrong and it was more along the lines of me being brain-hosed and seeing people as monsters or whatever. Then for a while I was thinking maybe I was someone else all along, some kind of identity-amnesia-confusion, perhaps I was secretly Alex somehow

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

*huff, puff* came here as quick as I could from 1995 to say: do NOT go see The Usual Suspects

Yeah I know Kevin Spacey's cancelled.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm gradually coming to terms with how many safes I can't open by realizing how many places I can get into really early on by turning myself into a coffee mug.

The cramped inventory sucks a thousand years of rear end, though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

The cramped inventory sucks a thousand years of rear end, though.

I will never do a typhon only run for exactly this reason, that sounds like the opposite of fun

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve always head cannoned that body inventory mods are Neutral and not Human because the game is 100% better that way.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve always head cannoned that body inventory mods are Neutral and not Human because the game is 100% better that way.

Absolutely, the problem is I want to know how they react at the end if I install nothing but Typhon mods.

That said, if this gets too annoying I might just youtube that variant of the end and install the inventory capacity upgrades because aaaargh.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The key is to do a no needles run and save a neuromod. Save right before the end of the game, beat it, then reload the save and use the neuromod to install a typhon/human power and beat the game again.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

e: nvm

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dyz posted:

The key is to do a no needles run and save a neuromod. Save right before the end of the game, beat it, then reload the save and use the neuromod to install a typhon/human power and beat the game again.

No needles doesn't sound at all fun, though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

It very much relies on stealth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORZKtHlTLzI

Speaking of stealth, it's one of the least utilized aspects of the game.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
No needles is also drastically easier if you beeline for the jetpack in Hardware and immediately grab the Propulsion chipset that’s on a fellow floating outside in space as soon as you can. It made my nightmare+no needles run so much more bearable when I could just climb/jump/float over enemies, and combined with GLOO you can basically go anywhere within just a short time after starting the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I thought it was very fun, but you really need to get into the mindset of being a helpless mook who's trying to avoid enemies. There's a lot of good equipment in this game, and you can really make a lot of stun and shotgun and gloo ammo

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mike the TV posted:

My hot take: the DLC is better than the main game.

While I miss some of the writing/storytelling of the base game, I almost have to agree. Not really a roguelike person, but the format fits 0451 games really well. It means that you always have to roll with your mistakes or weird poo poo that you didn't expect, and it means that the early part of the game where you're always in danger lasts... well, not forever, but a lot longer, which keeps things interesting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just got a 1.3GB update to Prey. According to steamdb the patch notes are "adds VR multiplayer to Typhon Hunter".

This is pretty cool, but Typhon Hunter is a separate game I don't even have installed. :confused:

E: hold the gently caress on, if I Mimic Matter an operator I can FLY?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 13, 2019

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I beat this about a month ago and thought it was great but what was with that crazy chef guy? I never did that sidequest.
Also was there a reference to the original prey game anywhere

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

1) just the best side quest
2) no

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

I just got a 1.3GB update to Prey. According to steamdb the patch notes are "adds VR multiplayer to Typhon Hunter".

This is pretty cool, but Typhon Hunter is a separate game I don't even have installed. :confused:

E: hold the gently caress on, if I Mimic Matter an operator I can FLY?

Yes, that's why you have to upgrade mimic matter and spend neuromods just to unlock the operators- being able to fly is pretty useful.

Also I continue to be very disappointed in Prey's VR. I have the free thing they released in VR but am not going to make a Bethesda account to play a single room gimmick; and it also means we know that the game works with VR, but the game itself isn't supported, which is quite disappointing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kly posted:

I beat this about a month ago and thought it was great but what was with that crazy chef guy? I never did that sidequest.

He's an escaped volunteer who murdered the old chef and is trying to kill as many people as possible. If you explore his freezer (he'll lock you in there if you try to help him out) you'll find the body of Danielle Sho's girlfriend along with a transcribe hinting at Danielle's location; if you talk to Danielle she'll ask you to kill the chef.

If you actually follow the quest, he flees across the station leaving traps behind for you. You eventually corner him in the escape pods, where he blows himself up trying to take you out with him.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Or just zap/kill him when he opens the freezer door for you!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s one of the best immersive sim things in the game (/ all games), in the sense that it presents you all the evidence to make a decision - it is patently obvious that he is an impostor and You Should Not Trust Him - but because Prey doesn’t really have cutscenes or explicit decision prompts (aside from the beginning and end), it freely lets you walk into an obvious trap. Players are so conditioned to FINISH ALL CONTENT and expect “are you sure??” decision points that they will up and expect the game to play itself before they’ll break quest sequence and double cross the volunteer before he double crosses you.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

He's an escaped volunteer who murdered the old chef and is trying to kill as many people as possible. If you explore his freezer (he'll lock you in there if you try to help him out) you'll find the body of Danielle Sho's girlfriend along with a transcribe hinting at Danielle's location; if you talk to Danielle she'll ask you to kill the chef.

If you actually follow the quest, he flees across the station leaving traps behind for you. You eventually corner him in the escape pods, where he blows himself up trying to take you out with him.

i did all the first stuff but never actually did the last part

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sorry you’re haunted by Sho Dan now

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I bumble into traps on purpose in games like Fallout/Prey because its usually more fun to get out again rather than just shoot the guy trying to get you to go into the obvious trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

When does Mooncrash get good? Like it's fine now but it's nothing special from the base game because it doesn't seem to have started really doing its thing. I've just escaped for the first time with the first dude, second time playing for reference.