Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I work from home a couple times a week but I don't really make calls that often. I gave my deskphone back because it was taking up too much space and was a real dust magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Found the Skype lover.

I guess it's fine if you never have to interact with the phone during the call...
But honestly I really prefer not having to alt+tab to mute or conference or hold or whatever I need to do. Plus having a desk phone doesn't interfere with my computer audio so I can still be on a webex and call someone real quick if I have to.
Also being able to quickly mute myself and scream obscenities or blare music without having to close an RDP window is pretty solid.

Besides, having speed dials, and line keys, and functions and * codes, and paging, and intercom, all the other wonderful sorts of other things at your finger tips that doesn't require taking focus off your beautiful scotch on the rocks in order to use is immense.
Plus if you've already got an IP phone programmed for your PBX why would you pay for (or even worse, subscribe to) a lovely softphone?

Headsets sold as certified for SfB or whatever typically have buttons for controlling all the main functions, and can answer a call while away from the machine (as long as it's still in range) or the machine is locked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, this comes from my dad:

Dad: *gets email from <COMPANY> asking him to log in somewhere, junks it and reports it, advises others to do the same, as it reads like a phishing email*

A few hours later

IT: hey all, we just signed up for a new VIOP service, it's <COMPANY>. You should have gotten an email asking you to log in to it to set things up!

Dad: send that email first, next time...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Our support team wants to move to wireless headsets and soft phones. When my director told us you could see six faces fall in unison.

Thankfully we're gonna be testing it and I can tell you exactly how that's gonna go already.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

Our support team wants to move to wireless headsets and soft phones. When my director told us you could see six faces fall in unison.

Thankfully we're gonna be testing it and I can tell you exactly how that's gonna go already.

"It's poo poo, don't buy them".

"Too late, we signed a 50 year contract!"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

less than three posted:

All this, plus being unable to answer your phone when your PC is locked.

Well that depends on my case. My VPN connection will time out if my computer goes idle, and my phone will stop working.

It's a feature really.

Also, I used to be the IT department for a 500 seat call center. I cannot imagine the shitfest that would have been if I had to support that many 'free' softphones on lovely hobbled together from pallets of free, broken HP's with Pentium D's.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I work for a Nationwide Insurance company. I like it but I travel too much. I've been offered jobs by two of my vendor companies in the last week.

I'm totally not sure what to do

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We switched to headsets and softphones like four years ago and the only issues we've had are people insist on having a handset and a headset (sometimes two) plugged in at the same time who invariably are just talking into the wrong device because they refuse to only have one or read the instructions on how to switch between them.

That's possibly also because a lot of people elected to just forward their SfB to their work mobile.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

kensei posted:

I work for a Nationwide Insurance company. I like it but I travel too much. I've been offered jobs by two of my vendor companies in the last week.

I'm totally not sure what to do

Are they doing work that interests you or affords you an opportunity to grow?

Do you like working with the people from these vendors? Enough to do it every day?

If yes, you should probably look into it further and figure out things like travel expectations, benefits and compensation, etc. If you're bringing a ton of domain knowledge, that's leverage to help you negotiate a better deal. Don't be shy, they're reaching out to you for a reason.

FWIW I did this about 5 years ago and I've never looked back. My former position was very comfortable, but I wasn't learning new things at the pace I wanted, didn't have a clear path forward to grow, and was ultimately pretty unhappy with how it turned out due to some changes in management. Now I work from home, travel to headquarters a few times a year when it's convenient for me, and do work that I find engaging and that pushes me to learn new things. I get to solve problems on an entirely different scale than before, am compensated beyond what I would consider generous, and I like both my coworkers and management.

It's not always easy to step out of a comfortable position and take a risk on something new, but I've found it to be one of the best choices I've made in my entire career.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nullfunction posted:

Are they doing work that interests you or affords you an opportunity to grow?

Do you like working with the people from these vendors? Enough to do it every day?

If yes, you should probably look into it further and figure out things like travel expectations, benefits and compensation, etc. If you're bringing a ton of domain knowledge, that's leverage to help you negotiate a better deal. Don't be shy, they're reaching out to you for a reason.

FWIW I did this about 5 years ago and I've never looked back. My former position was very comfortable, but I wasn't learning new things at the pace I wanted, didn't have a clear path forward to grow, and was ultimately pretty unhappy with how it turned out due to some changes in management. Now I work from home, travel to headquarters a few times a year when it's convenient for me, and do work that I find engaging and that pushes me to learn new things. I get to solve problems on an entirely different scale than before, am compensated beyond what I would consider generous, and I like both my coworkers and management.

It's not always easy to step out of a comfortable position and take a risk on something new, but I've found it to be one of the best choices I've made in my entire career.

Thank you for the well detailed reply. I'm going to think about this more.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kensei posted:

Thank you for the well detailed reply. I'm going to think about this more.

Do it. Don't waste opportunity!

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

nullfunction posted:

I'm kinda wrestling with a situation like this myself. I should be receiving and offer from a company today and if they offer me more money than I'm making now I'm sorely tempted to go for it. My present place isn't bad, but it has grown from a small company to a big one very rapidly and has negative sides of both. I keep getting more and more things piled on me without an increase in pay and the new place would also come with a more defined role. Change can be scary, but sometimes it's a very reasonable choice.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm kinda wrestling with a situation like this myself. I should be receiving and offer from a company today and if they offer me more money than I'm making now I'm sorely tempted to go for it. My present place isn't bad, but it has grown from a small company to a big one very rapidly and has negative sides of both. I keep getting more and more things piled on me without an increase in pay and the new place would also come with a more defined role. Change can be scary, but sometimes it's a very reasonable choice.
If they don't offer more money than you make now, counter offer and tell them that you'd love to join them but need a little more $$$.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Macaroni posted:

If they don't offer more money than you make now, counter offer and tell them that you'd love to join them but need a little more $$$.

This.

If your requirements aren't unreasonable, they really want you, and they're not on a hard-locked budget, then they'll make room.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Today the lovely Head of Information Security at the the client I am embedded with, whose personality is best described as "walking insider threat generator", started week four of just not bothering to come into the office.

I also got my first "do the needful" from the third party helpdesk.

And finally, I learned that they 100% do not have the budget to keep me on after Christmas.

It was a good day :unsmith:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

This.

If your requirements aren't unreasonable, they really want you, and they're not on a hard-locked budget, then they'll make room.

My HR department just reduces your stock and bonus % components, which they won't tell you until a base has been determined, by the amount they increase your base salary when you negotiate that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are the stock and bonus componants known to you at the time of negotiation?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

My HR department just reduces your stock and bonus % components, which they won't tell you until a base has been determined, by the amount they increase your base salary when you negotiate that.

So don't enter salary negotiations until you know your full compensation package, like most people do.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

The Macaroni posted:

Well, the offer came in with an effective raise of almost 800€/month compared to what I make now. I quess that solves that, I really cannot afford to turn it down. One question I would like to ask this thread is that how to bring this to my colleques and my boss. I have a winter holiday at the end of December and very early January, and I'm effectively starting right after that. In here you can't be fired right away and if I leave on my own accord there is a 2-week notice period. How, or perhaps more accurately, when, do I tell my boss & colleques that I'm leaving? I don't want to burn bridges as the infosec community here isn't super big, but my present company turned down my request for a raise in August and that has been chafing me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ataxerxes posted:

Well, the offer came in with an effective raise of almost 800€/month compared to what I make now. I quess that solves that, I really cannot afford to turn it down. One question I would like to ask this thread is that how to bring this to my colleques and my boss. I have a winter holiday at the end of December and very early January, and I'm effectively starting right after that. In here you can't be fired right away and if I leave on my own accord there is a 2-week notice period. How, or perhaps more accurately, when, do I tell my boss & colleques that I'm leaving? I don't want to burn bridges as the infosec community here isn't super big, but my present company turned down my request for a raise in August and that has been chafing me.

I would give them the 2 weeks notice, if someone is mad because you did that, they are crazy. Do you have 2 weeks after your holiday?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

MF_James posted:

I would give them the 2 weeks notice, if someone is mad because you did that, they are crazy. Do you have 2 weeks after your holiday?

Nope, my holiday ends Sunday 5th January, my new start day will be Tuesday, 7th January. This cannot be negotiated.

Edit: I was thinking of telling at least my senior colleque (my boss doesn't really direct me day-to-day, but is rather the administrative boss) during December (as the company can't fire me on short notice due to the way Finnish employment law works) so it won't screw up his January too much.

Edit2: Also, I have a bi-annual review with my boss during December, I might need to tell them then.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 12, 2019

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
"I fully understand the company can't afford to pay me more - I know times are tough. So unfortunately I've had to find another job instead. How do we best handle this for minimum disruption?" or similar - and do it sooner rather than later.

Ultimately, you're working a job to get paid. They won't pay you.

If suddenly they have the money to pay you - too late! don't trust 'em.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

When I left my first IT job, which I had for 15 years, it was pretty simple.

"I got a job offer, and it's this much"
"I can't get you that, but I can get you this"
"I appreciate that, but I'm going to have to take their offer"
"I understand, I wish there was more we could do. Here's what you need to do, and let's see what you need to turn over before you go"

I ended up hating that loving job, but it opened the door for current job. And while current job has its... quirks, I doubled my income in 3 years after leaving.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
An security alert came in letting us know of a user email sign-in from a suspicious IP (we're on the east coast, the IP was from the west coast). We've reviewing everything and check with the user and it turns out someone fibbed about a sick day and took a little extended vacation. Normally we wouldn't give a poo poo but it triggered a security event in our system so now we have to write it up and explain what happened.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

An security alert came in letting us know of a user email sign-in from a suspicious IP (we're on the east coast, the IP was from the west coast). We've reviewing everything and check with the user and it turns out someone fibbed about a sick day and took a little extended vacation. Normally we wouldn't give a poo poo but it triggered a security event in our system so now we have to write it up and explain what happened.

Why wouldn't that be a simple "confirmed it was user"?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

PBS posted:

Why wouldn't that be a simple "confirmed it was user"?

Because we have an incident reporting system that subsequently gets reviewed in manager meetings by my boss' boss to make it sound important.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Because we have an incident reporting system that subsequently gets reviewed in manager meetings by my boss' boss to make it sound important.

That sounds hosed up

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

"User's phone/laptop logged in to <whatever> through nearby coffee shop wifi when at home. Coffee shop wifi WLAN exit node in <city>. False positive. Closing".

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Serves him right.

...not for the naughty holiday, but for checking email while on holiday.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

"User's phone/laptop logged in to <whatever> through nearby coffee shop wifi when at home. Coffee shop wifi WLAN exit node in <city>. False positive. Closing".

Yeah except we're in a regulated industry and all of the incidents in this system get turned over to the state auditors that comes around yearly. As I said, I normally wouldn't give a poo poo but he hosed up in a way that left an audit trail that would potentially be a legal issue if we tried to purge/obscure/lie about.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't know why everyone's so intent on trying to have IT accept the risk for covering an employee who was dumb enough to get caught in a lie in the first place.

If the employee gets into poo poo for breaking the rules then it's extremely not your problem.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Yeah except we're in a regulated industry and all of the incidents in this system get turned over to the state auditors that comes around yearly. As I said, I normally wouldn't give a poo poo but he hosed up in a way that left an audit trail that would potentially be a legal issue if we tried to purge/obscure/lie about.

In that case:

"User did not inform us they would be accessing email remotely while out of town. Confirmed it was indeed User. Forwarded information to User's manager for security retraining."

edit: Whether User was out of town on vacation or had an appointment in a west coast hospital for strange illness from planet X is between them, their manager, and HR.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 12, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

I don't know why everyone's so intent on trying to have IT accept the risk for covering an employee who was dumb enough to get caught in a lie in the first place.

If the employee gets into poo poo for breaking the rules then it's extremely not your problem.
It's generally poor form to get a rep for narcing on people. Lowers trust with the users.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wouldn't calling it narcing if you're just doing your job. The name of the game is CYA. If management randomly decides this is The Most Important Thing In The World as they're known to do, then any kind of cover story is going to fall apart under heavy enough scrutiny. I'm not going to be the fall guy for something I had no part of.

I'm not lying for anyone else's sake. At best I'll perform my job duties to the absolute bare minimum.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Renegret posted:

I wouldn't calling it narcing if you're just doing your job. The name of the game is CYA. If management randomly decides this is The Most Important Thing In The World as they're known to do, then any kind of cover story is going to fall apart under heavy enough scrutiny. I'm not going to be the fall guy for something I had no part of.

I'm not lying for anyone else's sake. At best I'll perform my job duties to the absolute bare minimum.

100% this. You're reporting facts as you need to. You aren't throwing anyone under the bus so much as simply tapping into the traffic cam footage of them jumping under themselves.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

It's generally poor form to get a rep for narcing on people. Lowers trust with the users.

There's a difference between narcing on people and doing your job. It's not like IT saw the user at a baseball game and ratted him out for playing hooky; the user triggered a security even that had to be researched and documented.

It sucks that it ends up getting the user in trouble for something all of us have done, but since it sounds like it's not an environment where you can turn a blind eye all you can do is CYA by doing your job properly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While I was at Ignite last week we had an incident where the remote end of our vpn tunnel to our Washington data center was deleted. It was resolved pretty quickly, VPN was rebuilt. Only took about 20 minutes of my time and a half-dozen e-mails.

This week I start pushing for an rca and get this response back from the manager of that team:

quote:

I understand the business issue. It was not arbitrarily deleted.
Someone was working on a another VPN and made a mistake using the wrong crypto map using the GUI in ASDM.
I have already spoked to the DS team about it.

I don't even

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
My helpdesk dude makes me chuckle.

I get a call that "the internet is broke on every machine in here"

I am aware my helpdesk dude is taking contractors in this particular building at some point today and no one else has complained, so it stands to reason they might have knocked something in the data cab... idk.

Can you see helpdesk dude in data cab room?
There are some ladders?
Yeah he is up them, give him a shout, it'll be easier
Hey helpdesk dude can y...
:mad: :mad: :mad: I'm not taking the blame for this I've been no where near it
Right - all I want you to do is check if the cabinet has any sign of life
:mad: it's locked
right I know, can you hear fans and stuff
:mad: yes
Right ok, so the faults probably something else...

At this point I was going to take back over and go through it with the user as helpdesk guy was supposed to be looking after some contractors but the cordless phone was a bit out of range, so helpdesk guy goes into a rant about how it's not his fault and starts complaining to me over the phone, in the users office that they dont know what they are talking about because they accused him of breaking the internet

I've just had an email notifying everyone there is a global issue of some kind, he is going to love that he got the blame for that ha ha.

bless him

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

My helpdesk dude makes me chuckle.

I get a call that "the internet is broke on every machine in here"

I am aware my helpdesk dude is taking contractors in this particular building at some point today and no one else has complained, so it stands to reason they might have knocked something in the data cab... idk.

Can you see helpdesk dude in data cab room?
There are some ladders?
Yeah he is up them, give him a shout, it'll be easier
Hey helpdesk dude can y...
:mad: :mad: :mad: I'm not taking the blame for this I've been no where near it
Right - all I want you to do is check if the cabinet has any sign of life
:mad: it's locked
right I know, can you hear fans and stuff
:mad: yes
Right ok, so the faults probably something else...

At this point I was going to take back over and go through it with the user as helpdesk guy was supposed to be looking after some contractors but the cordless phone was a bit out of range, so helpdesk guy goes into a rant about how it's not his fault and starts complaining to me over the phone, in the users office that they dont know what they are talking about because they accused him of breaking the internet

I've just had an email notifying everyone there is a global issue of some kind, he is going to love that he got the blame for that ha ha.

bless him
Every computer toucher always gets the blame when anything computery is down, irrespective of scope or relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

D. Ebdrup posted:

Every computer toucher always gets the blame when anything computery is down, irrespective of scope or relationship.

This is the most true of all things. I can't tell you how many times 'the first IT guy you see' has been blamed for power outages.
Even worse, it always seems to be our fault when SOMEONE ELSE'S (as in some other company completely unrelated to our function in any way, shape or form) poo poo breaks.

Let's pour one out for the computer touchers.