Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TOMMY PROVOLONE posted:

Gamefreak is aptly named because they sure do make Gamers freak out.

More like Game Weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

When did spending death threats over video game opinions become such a regular thing?

How old are you?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got a angry gamer message for screwing up some co-op mission when I was learning the controls. I simply said sorry was getting used to the game and
"oh well it doesn't work like that! Learn the controls!"
"But I was doing what the controls said"
-10 minutes later-
"drat you're right that's weird."

That's my only story

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

qnqnx posted:

More like Game Weak

People have been calling them Gamebreak and that’s hilarious

Edit for positivity: I’m not the type to pimp youtube videos but Pokeaimmd is one of like 3 of the only watchable channels: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u_lsyDzZ-fk

REALLY cool meta news. Venusaur’s getting legal weather ball + chlorophyll and earth power. Ninetales getting memento and mystical fire. (Praise the sun!) Blastoise getting Shell Smash. Gengar getting Nasty Plot and Sludge Wave. Tyranitar gets a bunch of nonsense like High Horsepower and Hydro Pump because clearly that poor, weak Pokemon needed help via lots of buffs.

I’ve written off the main campaign mentally but the metagame is going to be loving NUTS.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 12, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ambaire posted:

This is the pokemon sword and shield thread, correct? Never played pokemon before but I was browsing reddit's best of subscribed and this was posted in Games and made me go :wtc: . people in that thread are loving saying it's a 'neat' and 'immersive' feature... and that 'kids might be overwhelmed by the options so it's best to introduce them slowly' are you loving kidding me

it is the most gamefreak thing loving possible to include audio options for the first time in the series, but lock them behind a rando NPC. I'm almost impressed.

Zodack posted:

Za warudo
:laffo:

The Bee posted:

A Pokemon game where you had to work a match to get the approval of the crowd would be pretty interesting, ngl.
sounds like a combination between battling and contests, that'd be pretty sweet actually.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was rolling my eyes at nerds in the past few months about “THE TREE TEXTURES LOOK BAD!” And Dexit was a bummer but yknow whatever

But all the poo poo coming out the last week has been loving yikes after yikes.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

The Bee posted:

A Pokemon game where you had to work a match to get the approval of the crowd would be pretty interesting, ngl.

Gen 9 needs to be in pokeMexico where the gyms are all lucha matches.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
There is a dump of generic (non-story-related) text from the game on GitHub. Not sure if it's considered :files:

Looked through it to see if the GTS is still in under another name. Searched for "trade" and "looking". Didn't see anything that looked like the sorts of messages that have appeared in GTS.

There are a bunch of trading related messages that look like they are about trades that aren't pre-arranged. e.g. "Link Trades help expand your horizons! I’m looking to trade. How about you?"

I suspect that GTS is removed and that the only ways to trade with randoms are the ones that are for trading with people who are online at the same time as you. Which tends to be a bit tiresome since (based on previous generations) they never give you the tools to communicate what you want to the other person, and a lot of the people you encounter are the sort of people who just show you their hacked shinies and whatever. Of course, wading through the nonsense on the GTS to find the rare trades that were on actually reasonable terms was always a chore, too.

There seems to be some kind of replacement for the EV-training Poke Pelago island. "We’ve started offering a seminar that’ll increase HP base points! We’re looking for students to prove its effectiveness!" (and similar messages for the other 5 stats)

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Busting Pokemon Carte-er I mean TEAMS who are warring against each other and we have to bust them and turn in their blocks of Silverpowder to Officer Jenny. All the grunts have Hawluchas but the cockfighting is totally cool because it’s Pokemon world.

I would play the poo poo out of this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You get the option to fix matches and throw fights for less experience (but more money).

You can buy lucha masks for all pokemon.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Hammerite posted:

There is a dump of generic (non-story-related) text from the game on GitHub. Not sure if it's considered :files:

Looked through it to see if the GTS is still in under another name. Searched for "trade" and "looking". Didn't see anything that looked like the sorts of messages that have appeared in GTS.

There are a bunch of trading related messages that look like they are about trades that aren't pre-arranged. e.g. "Link Trades help expand your horizons! I’m looking to trade. How about you?"

I suspect that GTS is removed and that the only ways to trade with randoms are the ones that are for trading with people who are online at the same time as you. Which tends to be a bit tiresome since (based on previous generations) they never give you the tools to communicate what you want to the other person, and a lot of the people you encounter are the sort of people who just show you their hacked shinies and whatever. Of course, wading through the nonsense on the GTS to find the rare trades that were on actually reasonable terms was always a chore, too.

There seems to be some kind of replacement for the EV-training Poke Pelago island. "We’ve started offering a seminar that’ll increase HP base points! We’re looking for students to prove its effectiveness!" (and similar messages for the other 5 stats)

Although we don’t have any confirmation yet I bet 99% it’s a feature rolled into Home. AKA “you must pay a subscription for this even if you don’t have a massive collection for us to hold hostage via sub fee for years”

To quote a similarly out of touch dev from Blizzard, “Don’t you guys have phones?”

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Bee posted:

I was reticent about this idea because generally "winning but not too hard" mechanics tend to be a chore but:

Elblanco posted:

It must happen now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Elblanco posted:

Holy poo poo yes.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

indigi posted:

I'm gonna buy it and play the gently caress out of it. I also wish it looked like it was going to be better.

Same here. I'm excited for it, I'm really excited that I have surprises to look forward to since I have avoided a majority of the leaked or revealed new Pokemon, and I'm looking forward to grabbing some snacks and settling in for a new Pokemon adventure that will temporarily take my mind off of the horrors of term papers and approaching final exams. With all that said, it's still incredibly disappointing to see the kind of stuff we've been seeing. Pokemon is a huge franchise, but it very rarely ever feels like it.

Pokemon is like a favourite shirt. It's big, comfy, safe, and you look forward to slipping in to it to relax, but it's also got holes in it, it's kind of drafty because it's been stretched out, some permanent stains have formed, and it's starting to pick up this weird odour that won't wash out.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Elblanco posted:

NGL I've wanted a pokemon game in mexico ever since gen 5 showed they weren't gonna stick to just japan, this would make it loving spectacular

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I've finally decided on probably giving this game a miss.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dv438w/complete_list_of_all_problems_known_so_far_in/

And believe me I'm not loving happy about it. Thing after thing kept coming up and I kept making excuses in my head because I've never missed a gen but I've lost my patience with all this poo poo. I'm not paying extra money for a shitshow. Game freak needs to take more time and get their act together because this is not getting $20 + from me and buying this is going to send the wrong message; They can drop quality and charge extra while they're at it. gently caress to the no on that chief. That being said I hope you guys enjoy whatever parts aren't loving broken and all the new mons look great. I really did want to play with em'. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flopsy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dv438w/complete_list_of_all_problems_known_so_far_in/

And believe me I'm not loving happy about it. Thing after thing kept coming up and I kept making excuses in my head because I've never missed a gen but I've lost my patience with all this poo poo. I'm not paying extra money for a shitshow. Game freak needs to take more time and get their act together because this is not getting $20 + from me and buying this is going to send the wrong message; They can drop quality and charge extra while they're at it. gently caress to the no on that chief. That being said I hope you guys enjoy whatever parts aren't loving broken and all the new mons look great. I really did want to play with em'. :(

Cool. See you in a week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. See you in a week.

Oh my lord

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want a game that takes place in India so I can catch a elephant

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
sword and shield looks amazing, shaping up to be the best pokémon game yet

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. See you in a week.

I'm this close to reporting you and loving nanigans for harassment. Keep it up sweetie.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Sorry to hear :(

Honestly, for adult collectors who are serious enough to have a big pokedex or shiny hunt and have legacy favorites/do Nuzlocke runs/etc., but don’t do metagame or pvp stuff? There really isn’t much here IMO. There’s romhacks and even online multiplayer rom bootlegs that could give you a better experience in that aspect than what it looks like we’re getting with SwSh. (Is it illegal to talk about them here? I like one online one in particular, it’s a little shady but has been chugging along without a shutdown since 2013 and it’s sad to say but they seem to care more about balance and patches than Gamefreak does...)

For the very old, the very young and the very casual? They won’t care, and that’s where GF makes most of their game money sadly. The competitive fans are mostly pacified by the shakeups to an increasingly stale and gimmicky meta but we a TINY fraction of the playerbase.

At this point all we can do is hope that GF lays such a turd that Nintendo yanks the license out of their hands and produced Pokemon in-house.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 12, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

quote:

no elite 4, no victory road, etc
:stare:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. See you in a week.

good lord you're being a weirdo

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I'm really excited for no elite 4. we all knew eventually they would have to stop putting elite 4s in the game, and now they can shake up the single player endgame

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. See you in a week.

really committing to the smug dickhead look, huh

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Looks like a good time for me to finally start Ultra Sun! I assume GTS is completely dead there by now?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

I was looking forward to being Sobble buddies with you. :smith: You converted me.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. See you in a week.

:nallears:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Well, people might have had the same reaction to gen 7 on hearing that gyms were not in the game. But what they were replaced with turned out to be a really good change. It's not about them not being there, it's about what is there instead.

... What is there instead?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My dream feature for Home? Glad you asked - it's to make it so you need to delete any move from a mon they can't get normally in gen 8. I'm a twisted fucker.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Welp, gone from excited and pre-ordered, to neither. Hopefully the negatives are overblown or will be fixed, because I was looking forward to this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Modus Pwnens posted:

Welp, gone from excited and pre-ordered, to neither. Hopefully the negatives are overblown or will be fixed, because I was looking forward to this.

Realistically speaking I don't see things being patched and it just being a "hope the revision is better" kind of situation. There's just too many bad things about the game/engine/whatever, and if they need to get started right away on a new pokemon game for next year that leaves no time to really work on patching this one.

Could be wrong though!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

im just glad they culled the pokedex. i sincerely hope no gen is over 500 pokemon ever again.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I still don’t know what I’m gonna do with my living dex. It’s complete minus Volcanion, Melmetal (disabled so I can’t play Go) and that lovechild of Renamon and Raikou that came out recently.

I have an action replay (I would breed legit 5 or 6IV mons then hack my favorites to be shiny, don’t @ me, gently caress that extra layer of RNG sandwiching on top of good competitive stats) but if I gently caress up and corrupt the save I lose everything from gen 3 onward, including tons of legit event mons and all my ingame bros and past competitive winners on top of my living dex and ditto collection.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hammerite posted:

Well, people might have had the same reaction to gen 7 on hearing that gyms were not in the game. But what they were replaced with turned out to be a really good change. It's not about them not being there, it's about what is there instead.

A tournament instead of E4, so you battle 4 trainers regardless. Victory road apparently is a hallway with 6 trainers.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Countblanc posted:

My dream feature for Home? Glad you asked - it's to make it so you need to delete any move from a mon they can't get normally in gen 8. I'm a twisted fucker.
My selfdestructing wailord would like you to know that it hates you

Hammerite posted:

that's a good point. I remember people being pissed about no victory road, despite the fact we totally had a victory road, it was just named "Vast Poni Canyon"

but at the same time the leakers who've beaten the game haven't mentioned anything about endgame fights, so
e:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A tournament instead of E4, so you battle 4 trainers regardless. Victory road apparently is a hallway with 6 trainers.
oh, that's not bad. Like Elite 4 & Champion Defense rolled into one. Victory road is disappointing though

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 12, 2019

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

extra row of teeth posted:

I still don’t know what I’m gonna do with my living dex. It’s complete minus Volcarona, Melmetal (disabled so I can’t play Go) and that lovechild of Renamon and Raikou that came out recently.

I have an action replay (I would breed legit 5 or 6IV mons then hack my favorites to be shiny, don’t @ me, gently caress that extra layer of RNG sandwiching on top of good competitive stats) but if I gently caress up and corrupt the save I lose everything from gen 3 oneard, including tons of legit event mons and all my ingame bros and past competitive winners on top of my living dex and ditto collection.

If you’ve got all of those other past games can you just hack on one of them and transfer over to your host game if it works?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zodack posted:

Since the internet, I guess. Unfortunate side effect of anonymity. Road rage is really no different if you think about it. So easy to type and send something vitriolic when there are no consequences. Even more so when you're in an echo chamber.

I remember some real heinous poo poo showing up in 'fan' letters segments of old gaming magazines back before they even had emails. I imagine the companies got their fair share and worse poo poo the mags wouldn't even publish as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

mabels big day posted:

im just glad they culled the pokedex. i sincerely hope no gen is over 500 pokemon ever again.

i agree. in my opinion, the next gen should have only 15 pokémon