Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fatman should've hung dong actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Casey Finnigan posted:

The only positive thing I can say about Quiet's design is that, knowing Kojima, he'd probably be completely willing to make a similarly nude-for-stupid-reasons overly-sexualized male character.

Vamp in MGS4 once he takes off his overcoat, basically? He's even got his knife (which he constantly slowly licks every time he slowly and sensually pulls it out) sheath directly over his dick, and Naomi all but tweaked his nipple in one scene. If he wasn't wearing pants he'd be rocketed straight into the Quiet Zone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah if you start The Outer Worlds expecting a sprawling open world like Fallout or Skyrim you are gonna end up disappointed. I'm happy as well that its not some gigantic map with barely anything to do. I barely have time to play videogames anymore so hearing "its gigantic and it'll take 150 hours to see everything!!!" is just not attractive to me. I like the FPSRPG thing so i'm happy theres one where i actually have a chance of finishing it!

My issue wasnt the length, I hate that RPGs have this stigma that they need to be 40 hours or theyre a failure. The issue was that TOW feels like it was meant to be a longer game but got cut short.

The first 2 planets are retreads of the same basic conflict, corporation vs seperatists. That would be fine if the plot escalated but it...doesnt. The first real raising of the stakes that the colony is unsustainable and drastic measures need to be taken is good, but right after you learn it the end game starts.

Then it drops another plot escalation that earth has gone dark literally 30 seconds before the ending slides so theres no time to let it sink in or affect your decision in the plot.

These things are fine but in a short game they feel so rushed and the plot could have been better paced.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'll say one other thing about Outer Worlds - the weapon and armor system needs a complete revamp by next game. In my experience, money was useless at stores other than for unique items, which were rare. If you saw a gun you wanted, that meant you were high enough level that it was now part of the "loot pool" now and you were going to find 3 billion of them on the corpses of your enemies, or even just laying around in the world, in the next 15 minutes of gameplay. So once you realize that, why bother spending money on it? Same goes for restorative items. Money was spent on "tinkering", which is the way you make weapons and armor better. It gets more expensive every time you "tinker" but it doesn't really go into why.. "Spend 75 bits to make these numbers higher. Now spend 100. Now 150." It didn't cost any other resource other than money. Were you just shoving cash into it to make it better? Who knows.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly the whole weapon and armor system felt too ephemeral to ever care about fixing or upgrading. There was always something better coming along or half a dozen duplicates to swap in if one got really damaged. I don't think I even bought anything non-quest-related at any of the shops aside from occasional ammo packs early on, before I just killed enough to be rolling in it most of the time. I guess the upside was that I always had enough money to just throw at whatever bribes/etc came up along the way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I didn't even realize there was an upgrade system until right before the final level. My heavy n-ray machine gun was just destroying everything with little-to-no effort. I also never needed to heal during the game because of the auto-regenerating health feature, which meant I never bought Adreno. The only time I even needed it was for the final shootout.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Prey 2017 was an excellent, reasonable lengthed video game that has virtually no flaws. If I wanted to get picky I could say, "one of the enemy types near the end is obnoxious to fight", and that's that. Maybe also the relative uselessness of the alien powers?

I'm probably in the wrong thread I just want more people to play Prey

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Squiddycat posted:

I just want more people to play Prey
:hmmyes:

I loved it, all the more for ignoring it at the time and just assuming it was yet another bland shooter. My biggest flaw was the unnecessary amount of running back and forth between areas with loading screens every time in the last act, still great but that wore me down a bit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Squiddycat posted:

Prey 2017 was an excellent, reasonable lengthed video game that has virtually no flaws. If I wanted to get picky I could say, "one of the enemy types near the end is obnoxious to fight", and that's that. Maybe also the relative uselessness of the alien powers?

It would have nice if Walther Dahl didn't come out of nowhere to taunt you into thinking the game was over.

Something I like about Outer Worlds is that you can take the steps needed to complete a mission long before you actually get the mission from a quest-giver. Being able to read the script and be one step ahead of everyone else is more rewarding than any EXP you'd get

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Squiddycat posted:

I played through Prey from beginning to almost-the-end (I was scanning the coral nodes when I stopped because I found it too boring, which I think is very, very close to the end) and I honestly don't get what's supposed to be so flawless about it. It's okay. The enemy variety was weak, the mimics weren't scary because they were never close to being a threat on normal difficulty, none of the guns felt good to shoot and juggling materials to make ammo got on my nerves, and the backtracking around the station got tiresome by the end. I didn't see anything in the game that was particularly revolutionary or handled better than most games of the genre. I mean, I like Arkane Studios, they don't make bad games, I like everything they make, but I really wasn't blown away by Prey. I actually found the 2006 Prey to be a lot more interesting.

It's worth playing, but that's as far as I would go.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prey suffers from the same problem as Alien Isolation in that it is 4 hours and 17 minutes too long

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Prey is very good but arkane’s best game is dishonored 2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The end of Prey is really frustrating because it makes my computer chug a little (and it really, really shouldn't) and parts of it suddenly seem almost kind of trial-and-error-y compared to everything else in the game up to that literal exact point. I still haven't finished it even though I could have, and I'm pretty sure my save is just barely outside psychotronics so I really don't have far to go at all but ughhh.

the real problem is that once I beat it, it's over. :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The best thing about Prey is the song over the opening credits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBLnfCyCjp4 (called "Everything is Going to Be Okay.")

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

The end of Prey is really frustrating because it makes my computer chug a little (and it really, really shouldn't) and parts of it suddenly seem almost kind of trial-and-error-y compared to everything else in the game up to that literal exact point. I still haven't finished it even though I could have, and I'm pretty sure my save is just barely outside psychotronics so I really don't have far to go at all but ughhh.

the real problem is that once I beat it, it's over. :(

Is that the engine room area that’s giving your computer trouble? I got it on the Xbone and it ran completely smooth, no trouble at all, until I got to that engine room and it suddenly became a 5 FPS slideshow. As soon as I walked out of the room it went back to normal, walk back in and it’s a PowerPoint again.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Squiddycat posted:

This game was practically perfect, yeah. The only alien powers that I even used were kinetic blast and psyshock. Psyshock in particular is just a monster blaster. Nightmares get disabled when you use it, so you get to blast them away with no risk

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The better way to handle Nightmares was to shotgun rush them. Nightmares weren't much of an issue when you were unloading shells down their throat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

New Leaf posted:

Amen to that. I'm a 35 year old father of a toddler, my game time is relegated to her bath time with mommy and the odd nap time on weekends, assuming we're even home. The Outer Worlds wasn't a masterpiece but it definitely scratched some itches for me.

Right there with you, my man.

Anymore I prefer games that "feel" open world but are clever enough to sort of be on rails. Evil Within 2 and, to some extent, the Tomb Raider remakes fit the bill for me just fine. I don't have enough time in this world to delve into Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim, RDR and all that stuff. Most fun I've had with a game in years was RE2 remake precisely because it was so tight. Arkham Asylum, Doom and Wolfenstein were right there in that middle zone for me.

Then again, there's people playing 500 hours of stuff like Candy Crush or what have you so who knows if open worlds are really my issue.

Squiddycat posted:

That's another good example of "just right" but I still put it down around the 15 hour mark because I started getting wrecked and got the idea I built my guy wrong.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Nov 13, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

The better way to handle Nightmares was to shotgun rush them. Nightmares weren't much of an issue when you were unloading shells down their throat.

I keep telling myself I'll replay Prey and not just be shotgun god.

But I'm going to play the exact same way again because it's comfortable and shotgun god.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I absolutely hate that, in Dusk, the rocket launcher key is 9.

And even more so, it is not the 9th weapon you’re going to find. You get it before you get the hunting rifle, crossbow, and mortar.

Why isn’t it on 6?! Also, the shotguns and super shotgun are on different keys (3 and 4), which kinda make sense since the dual shotties fills a clear niche not fulfilled by the SSG, but double-tapping 3 just switches to a single shotgun. Put the SSG and dual shotties on the same key dangit!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is on me and not the game but I am no good at figuring anything out in Obra Dinn.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

This is on me and not the game but I am no good at figuring anything out in Obra Dinn.

More like oldclueless :hellyeah:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

I keep telling myself I'll replay Prey and not just be shotgun god.

But I'm going to play the exact same way again because it's comfortable and shotgun god.

I played three extra times to get some trophies: one with only human powers, one with alien powers and one with no powers at all.

Hard to be a shotgun god without an upgraded shotgun. Hell, without any powers the game turns into outright survival horror, when a single telepath or technopath can absolutely destroy you. Lots of running.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Right there with you, my man.

Anymore I prefer games that "feel" open world but are clever enough to sort of be on rails. Evil Within 2 and, to some extent, the Tomb Raider remakes fit the bill for me just fine. I don't have enough time in this world to delve into Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim, RDR and all that stuff. Most fun I've had with a game in years was RE2 remake precisely because it was so tight. Arkham Asylum, Doom and Wolfenstein were right there in that middle zone for me.

Then again, there's people playing 500 hours of stuff like Candy Crush or what have you so who knows if open worlds are really my issue.

Games like Candy Crush, roguelikes, point 'n' clicks, and, for my current game of choice, RimWorld, are easy on the mind after a day at work and dealing with a toddler. They can be picked up and put down quickly and easily, and if you screw up, you can usually hop right back in without too much trouble. I generally prefer more taxing games requiring quicker reflexes, but these days, I want something I can take the time to plan out rather than react immediately to something happening. Outer Worlds was a good middle ground for me, but I've been bouncing off of Blasphemous despite liking it because I just don't have the mental wherewithal to play it by the time my family goes to sleep.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

Games like Candy Crush, roguelikes, point 'n' clicks, and, for my current game of choice, RimWorld, are easy on the mind after a day at work and dealing with a toddler. They can be picked up and put down quickly and easily, and if you screw up, you can usually hop right back in without too much trouble. I generally prefer more taxing games requiring quicker reflexes, but these days, I want something I can take the time to plan out rather than react immediately to something happening. Outer Worlds was a good middle ground for me, but I've been bouncing off of Blasphemous despite liking it because I just don't have the mental wherewithal to play it by the time my family goes to sleep.

Yeah I've been playing a game called Undermine which a roguelite that I can walk away from or let sit without feeling like I lost too much progress.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I almost feel like too much stuff from other players pops up in Death Stranding. I don't feel sufficiently motivated to build my own bridge if there's three of them right around the corner. I guess it's a hard balance to get right. But I like to take my time with games and if I get to chapter 3 and there's a fully formed infrastructure waiting for me I'll be at least a bit disappointed.

Could be playing offline I suppose, sure, but that'd be missing the point, wouldn't it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I do think its a smart move that a zone has to be on the network before stuff starts appearing. So at least the first trip to new territory feels new. Ropes and ladders are an exception since those feel like things youd just find in the wilderness.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Knights of the Old Republic II is so loving boring. There is endless dialogue that probably sounds deep to a 14-year-old, antiseptic, grey environments and dogshit combat. I'm like four hours in and have escaped a boring deserted mining colony and am now in a boring boxy city talking to terribly written NPCs. I guess later on they introduce philosophical complexity to the Force or some poo poo - but why should I give a poo poo about ethics in space magic?

I'm going back to Death Stranding.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's me, I'm the terrible person who liked Bioshock's pipe dream hacking. ...But even I'll admit it was a bit of a pace-breaker to cut to a totally separate minigame screen all the time. Also I've only ever played Bioshock on PC where you can just fly through every hack at speed.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4: After you turn Kellogg's brain into cornflakes there's a bit where you roam around his cyborg memory-bank in search of the next thread of plot. Kellogg narrates his own memories as you explore them and he happens to refer to two separate characters as "the Old Man". The only reason he does this is to poorly conceal a twist everyone saw coming in a manner that is blatantly cheating. It'd be like if the narrator of Fight Club had a business-card he shows to everybody, only his fingers cover his name every time we see it.

There's also that really bizarre bit just afterwards where Nick starts talking as Kellogg and then it never comes up ever again, because I guess it was some weird dropped plot thread that wasn't fully cut.

Or the player character is hallucinating because Kellogg is actually now in their head and also they're a synth. :tinfoil:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

It's me, I'm the terrible person who liked Bioshock's pipe dream hacking. ...But even I'll admit it was a bit of a pace-breaker to cut to a totally separate minigame screen all the time. Also I've only ever played Bioshock on PC where you can just fly through every hack at speed.

I really like pipe dream so I thought it was fun. Haven't played bioshock in years though, so maybe it aged poorly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

There's also that really bizarre bit just afterwards where Nick starts talking as Kellogg and then it never comes up ever again, because I guess it was some weird dropped plot thread that wasn't fully cut.

Or the player character is hallucinating because Kellogg is actually now in their head and also they're a synth. :tinfoil:

I recall far harbor trying to wedge in a "But what if YOU were a synth? You have no memories of before the war except for the part where everything gets bombed" theory, except im pretty sure Evil Son would have told Bad Dad/Murder Mother about that while he was explaining why he made Synth Son.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fallout 4: After you turn Kellogg's brain into cornflakes there's a bit where you roam around his cyborg memory-bank in search of the next thread of plot. Kellogg narrates his own memories as you explore them and he happens to refer to two separate characters as "the Old Man". The only reason he does this is to poorly conceal a twist everyone saw coming in a manner that is blatantly cheating. It'd be like if the narrator of Fight Club had a business-card he shows to everybody, only his fingers cover his name every time we see it.
Heavy Rain is even better at this "downright cheating to hide an oh-so-clever twist" thing :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

Heavy Rain is even better at this "downright cheating to hide an oh-so-clever twist" thing :v:

Oh man, that was such bullshit. I was so let down by Heavy Rain, I was one of the weirdos that really liked Indigo Prophecy (It's a mostly good game that happens to go delightfully batshit at the end, what's not to enjoy) so my hype levels were high and then.... that. I can take a story-based game going off the rails at the end, hell, IP had you kung-fu fight the internet after you hosed the police detective as a zombie. It wasn't a good story but it was just so weird I couldn't help but enjoy the audacity. Heavy Rain did not go off the rails as much as it just farted itself to death, and that's not fun, that's just boring.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Necrothatcher posted:

Knights of the Old Republic II is so loving boring. There is endless dialogue that probably sounds deep to a 14-year-old, antiseptic, grey environments and dogshit combat. I'm like four hours in and have escaped a boring deserted mining colony and am now in a boring boxy city talking to terribly written NPCs. I guess later on they introduce philosophical complexity to the Force or some poo poo - but why should I give a poo poo about ethics in space magic?

I'm going back to Death Stranding.

The intro mining station is loving awful, but it gets way better later. Though if you don't like Kreia droning philosophically about the Force, you might not like the rest of the writing in this game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

grate deceiver posted:

The intro mining station is loving awful, but it gets way better later. Though if you don't like Kreia droning philosophically about the Force, you might not like the rest of the writing in this game.

For a while there it seemed like it was mandatory to have the intro area of your RPG be absolutely terrible. Irenicus's Dungeon in BG2, the mining station in KOTORII and Taris in KOTORI, a bunch more I know I'm forgetting. It was like they wanted your first five hours of the game to suck, and also discourage you from wanting to make a new character because you didn't want to subject yourself to that again. Someone even made a mod to skip BG2's intro dungeon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For a while there it seemed like it was mandatory to have the intro area of your RPG be absolutely terrible. Irenicus's Dungeon in BG2, the mining station in KOTORII and Taris in KOTORI, a bunch more I know I'm forgetting. It was like they wanted your first five hours of the game to suck, and also discourage you from wanting to make a new character because you didn't want to subject yourself to that again. Someone even made a mod to skip BG2's intro dungeon.

Pretty much every Fallout Bethesda game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Good starting levels are hard.

Some companies are better at them than others.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Good starting levels are hard.

Some companies are better at them than others.

I get why they're hard, especially for RPGs and the like where you level up. You typically are going through a level with a fraction of your full toolset, which is a pain in the rear end. It's also usually got the most restrictions on player freedom when it comes to things like choosing where you want to go next. I like it when games at least give you a taste of what you'll be able to do down the line, like Prototype's flash forward where you tear poo poo up with late-game powers before it goes back and starts the story proper.

Deus Ex's first level is a weird case. It was a brick wall for me for a couple years until I went back and finally beat it in like 2003 or 2004. Now that I understand how the game works, it's my favorite level in the entire game and, in my opinion, one of the best designed levels ever made. There's a way to succeed with any approach, it's challenging, there's a lot to explore. The thing is, as much as it's a great level, it's a terrible first level, because odds are, you're not going to have a familiarity with how the different approaches actually work (especially with crap skills and no augs), challenging is a pain when you're getting used to the fact JC Denton can't run and gun worth a drat early on, and so on. It might be easier now since multiple approaches and terrible accuracy on the move have become pretty standard, but in 2000 it definitely kicked a fair few people's asses.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Emerald Vale in The Outer Worlds can be bee-lined in twenty minutes, good for an RPG. Run to the mayor, scoot over to the plant, bash robots and flick some switches, pick up the mcguffin from the town you doomed, fast-travel to your ship and you're done. In that same twenty minutes you'd still be stuck in the prologue of a Bethesda game. To compensate the last level Byzantium lacks a ton of content and has no challenge anywhere.

Good god. Was Fallout 3 ever playable on a PC? It crashes before Liam Neeson can say anything.

What other games stand as being horribly future-proofed? That only worked on the hardware at the time, and don't scale to more advanced tech. I'm guessing any game that tied a function to CPU-cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What other games stand as being horribly future-proofed? That only worked on the hardware at the time, and don't scale to more advanced tech. I'm guessing any game that tied a function to CPU-cycles.

Yep, the CPU cycle thing is a major problem for almost anything made before the mid-90’s. At least dosbox has provided a workaround for that. I remember in the 2000’s there were a lot of games I had to run in compatibility mode for Windows 95, as well. That was so common I can’t really even think of examples.