Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

extra row of teeth posted:

If you did come across it, I would greatly appreciate it. My life kinda went to hell recently so I missed out on the last couple of events. I can give a legit shiny in exchange, got a couple by chance while completing the dex.

Sent you the card code I found, hope it still works :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

mabels big day posted:

People complain about "reverse feature creep" for the last few gens, but Pokemon has been doing that in literally every single generation. In Gen 2 they got rid of the infinite items feature from gen 1, and in gen 3 they got rid of the Cloning Pokemon feature in gen 2. And nobody really made a fuss about it back then. Gamers are just extra entitled nowadays.
what are you talking about? gen 3 brought cloning pokemon back in emerald, and even let you clone whatever items they were holding as well! :eng101:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

what are you talking about? gen 3 brought cloning pokemon back in emerald, and even let you clone whatever items they were holding as well! :eng101:

The battle frontier was truly the greatest loss in the series.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Abundant Atrophy posted:

-Fairy being a devastating type (I remember thread-people saying everyone will just have to field terrible poison/steel moves)
This is an amusingly backwards way of looking at steel and poison moves actually becoming worthwhile.

X/Y were indeed pretty meh though, and the rest of the issues listed are fair. The chummy kids and being given that Lucario left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Also being given a Kanto starter obliged me to pick my favorite pokemon ever, Venasaur (complete with the spelling I used for it as a kid), and that meant I felt I couldn't pick my favorite X/Y starter- Chespin, or I'd have too many grass types.

Black and White had the right attitude: Cull the old to make room for the new. I actually ended up having a bad feeling after X/Y when it let me use my old favorites from the start.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Holy molly Incineroar got Close Combat AND Parting Shot. Yep, he gonna be everywhere in VGC

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i never learned how to do it as a kid so it may as well not have existed

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So like, old starters confirmed coming back after all?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Framboise posted:

So like, old starters confirmed coming back after all?

the other gen 1 starters and the gen 7 ones, at least. in some form. probably events, maybe.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I am happy to see Bulbasaur and Primarina make the cut then :3:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I just decided to play Pokemon Platinum and buy a different game instead of shield like I intended :shobon:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is there still a list of the extra ones out there somewhere? When people were talking about it in this topic they all linked to a twitter that was deleted by the time I read the posts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
its wild to me that we still dont have an official reveal of the starters the tuesday before the game drops

insane

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blaziken386 posted:

ORAS briefly had a glitch where you could use the DS camera to crash the game and fill a box with the Pokémon in the first slot.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Eiba posted:

Black and White had the right attitude: Cull the old to make room for the new. I actually ended up having a bad feeling after X/Y when it let me use my old favorites from the start.
My first playthrough of Black was honestly one of my favorite runs in the entire series, even if N was kind of a dweeb. Everything was new and I hadn't been keeping up with pokemon at all at the time, so everything was like "yooo what the gently caress big crocodile?? big sand crocodile???"

mabels big day posted:

i never learned how to do it as a kid so it may as well not have existed
That's fair, neither did I. But I also didn't know you could do it in crystal as a kid, so it basically comes out the same.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EDIT ^ Yeah I think this is the product of the loving ridiculous 1 year development cycle plus the team adapting to making games for the Switch. Everything reeks of a solid foundation with lots of flat-out unfinished bits.

Like I said if they pull a Star Allies this could kick both Gen 6 and Gen 7’s rear end... but HAL is a rare and special gem of a developer these days and I don’t expect anyone else to do that level of content for free.

I would laugh so loving hard if the botched code we’ve been seeing somehow culminates in hacking being able to easily bring about Missingno v 2.0. That may be why the Pokemon don’t even exist in the code, or maybe even blank spaces don’t exist. IIRC, Missingno and his glitchy family were “birthed” from blank Pokemon slots running wild. Of course the programming for Gameboy and Switch are probably waaaaaay different, but it’s clear that at Gamefreak the more things change the more things stay the same.

Also XY sucked and a handful of great designs like Hawlucha and Xerneas was the only redeeming factor.

Fairy type was a good addition :colbert: also, being able to change your clothes, I also liked roller blading.

Flopsy posted:

I believe our serious rival was the unchosen player character and you slowly break their spirit and destroy their confidence as the game goes on and it feels loving HORRIBLE.

If they didn't want to have their soul crushed they should have stayed out of my drat way :argh: also, had a full team of six.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

ORAS briefly had a glitch where you could use the DS camera to crash the game and fill a box with the Pokémon in the first slot.
ORAS also had a glitch where you could use QR codes to inject pokemon straight into your game, which was rad as poo poo

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sent you the card code I found, hope it still works :v:

Thanks! Stuck at the doctor’s but I’ll check when home.

lezard_valeth posted:

Holy molly Incineroar got Close Combat AND Parting Shot. Yep, he gonna be everywhere in VGC

I never got too into VGC and prefer Singles but apparently he’s the Lando-T of VGC, and they BUFFED him. Lol welp.

Also I agree gen 5 was the best modern generation by far and it doesn’t get anywhere near enough love because idiots hoot at the garbage and ice cream designs and ignore literally everything else great about them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eiba posted:

Is there still a list of the extra ones out there somewhere? When people were talking about it in this topic they all linked to a twitter that was deleted by the time I read the posts.

https://pastebin.com/3jNGBZqh

1 & 7 gen starters plus a bunch of legends and mythicals.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Flopsy posted:

I believe our serious rival was the unchosen player character and you slowly break their spirit and destroy their confidence as the game goes on and it feels loving HORRIBLE.

That was the best part for me, if my rival hasn't lost all hope of ever achieving anything then clearly they need another lesson.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

gotta wait for him to be officially released at least

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avalerion posted:

These will probably be the Wild Area raid events.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Fairy type was a good addition :colbert: also, being able to change your clothes, I also liked roller blading.

If they didn't want to have their soul crushed they should have stayed out of my drat way :argh: also, had a full team of six.

gently caress I totally forgot about that. Fairy type owns, Clefable’s rise to stardom owns, being able to change clothes and be brown if you are brown irl owns.

Also breaking your rival’s spirit was the only good part about the cheerio and apple juice vomit that was that kiddie trash excuse of a story. Like I would have been insulted and felt infantilized by that story if I played it as a literal infant

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Oh that's too bad. Legendaries are lame. My favorite part of the Galar dex was only 3 legendaries at all. But it makes sense if they're going to be special promotional things.

I'm glad Venusaur is there. I think that means all my favorites are somewhere in the game with the exception of Magnezone.

It seems a bit odd that they chose gen 7 starters in particular. I wonder why.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Also breaking your rival’s spirit was the only good part about the cheerio and apple juice vomit that was that kiddie trash excuse of a story. Like I would have been insulted and felt infantilized by that story if I played it as a literal infant
Did you miss the part where Mister Totally Not Genodical Maniac invented a device called the Holo Caster

I genuinely don't know if the translators were having fun with that one or they just stone didn't realize what they had done at all

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Unless they are willing to move away from a yearly schedule it isn't about effort more than literal time to develop.

I didn't even know they were on a yearly release schedule. Feels like several years between pokemon games, but looking back it's probably just because I tend to skip ones where I feel I'm trying to get milked. That's probably also why they deleted all my old monsters, didn't pay for Bank between played releases so they killed them all as punishment for my disloyalty. Not sure what to do with my monsters now, the ones left. Went through the trouble of transferring my old D-squad boxes from old games, got them in Bank, but with no good official news about their replacement service, and the seemingly inevitable double-paywall aspect, I'm not sure where to park them. Parking in Moon seems like something they'll eventually kill once 3DS support finally goes blank, parking them in an eventual copy of Sword can't work because of dexit, and parking in Pokemon Home sounds like a big trick and I already know how I will be punished.

At this point, perhaps the humane thing is just to manually free my pokemon one by one. At least then they don't have to worry about oblivion, they can just be free in the last environment that would accept them all.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Eiba posted:

Oh that's too bad. Legendaries are lame. My favorite part of the Galar dex was only 3 legendaries at all. But it makes sense if they're going to be special promotional things.

I'm glad Venusaur is there. I think that means all my favorites are somewhere in the game with the exception of Magnezone.

Incineroar is popular and in Smash and as evidenced by the fandom making GBS threads it’s diaper over the Charizard controversy, you can’t have one starter available and leave out the other 2 without pissing off 2/3rds of that generation’s players.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did you miss the part where Mister Totally Not Genodical Maniac invented a device called the Holo Caster

I genuinely don't know if the translators were having fun with that one or they just stone didn't realize what they had done at all

Remember they let Jynx slide for a disturbingly long time. That said, the pun flew over my head.

It’s me I am the baby

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eiba posted:

i think mainly since they're so new compared to the rest. the specter of the gen 1 starters will never leave the series so they're always a lock but i guess they wanted to bring forward the previous gen's starters just because they've had the least time so far with the exception of the new ones.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pretty hosed up how GF has declared damnatio memoriae on the gen 1 starters, and if you so much as rename one of yours to one of their names it deletes your savefile

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Remember they let Jynx slide for a disturbingly long time.

They gave Jynx Dry Skin as a hidden ability and it weirds me out that much more.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Okay, but it was a good move to have the news anchor not just an E4 member, but also part of the evil team.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm on a sort of break from Go but didn't they just have an event that was basically "pay us 8 dollars to get access to this exclusive pokemon"? Unless I'm reading it wrong that's a worrying sign going forward even if it's Niantic and not GF

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lmfao are you fuckin kiddin me

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

I'm on a sort of break from Go but didn't they just have an event that was basically "pay us 8 dollars to get access to this exclusive pokemon"? Unless I'm reading it wrong that's a worrying sign going forward even if it's Niantic and not GF

It was “pay 8 dollars to get access to this exclusive pokemon a month earlier than everyone else”.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Abundant Atrophy posted:

They gave Jynx Dry Skin as a hidden ability and it weirds me out that much more.

Okay, but it was a good move to have the news anchor not just an E4 member, but also part of the evil team.

As a POC that almost feels like a subtle racist joke and/or racial in-joke about how we darker skinned people can get ashy elbows If we don’t moisturize, but there’s no way in hell GF is tuned in enough to black culture to make that joke (or would poke the bear after handwaving it by saying it was a late 90s Japanese makeup fad that happened to look like blackface). Odd either way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It was “pay 8 dollars to get access to this exclusive pokemon a month earlier than everyone else”.

oh, well that's not so bad then, kinda weird but Go has always been about the long game anyway

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

....oh my God I just got that.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's kind of sad how lacking the postgame seems to be in Sword/Shield coming from US/UM and its whole team Rainbow Rocket plot.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't doubt at all that localization team knew what they were doing. The charismatic, classist, scapegoating mass murder endorsing demagogue leading an invasion of Not France would be such fertile ground for a Hitler joke that they couldn't resist. They'll never cop to it because it's not in the best of taste but they could have easily called it the holo-phone, tel-appel, holokit like the french version, or any other transliterable frenglish concoction of light, phone calls, holograms, or whatnot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

As a POC that almost feels like a subtle racist joke and/or racial in-joke about how we darker skinned people can get ashy elbows If we don’t moisturize, but there’s no way in hell GF is tuned in enough to black culture to make that joke (or would poke the bear after handwaving it by saying it was a late 90s Japanese makeup fad that happened to look like blackface). Odd either way.

i assume it's some reference to the yuki-onna myth that just comes off kinda weird when you remember jynx's old design

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can't believe so many people missed that pun, that was some of the only good writing in the entire game

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I mean, it would've been a good move, had she (or any of the other admins) actually been characterized at all. She insults me for trashing Team Flare during the Elite 4 battle and I was like "wait, have I met you before??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When I realized that in my replay, i felt immediate shame because there's just no way they'd make a loving holocaust pun in a pokemon game, that nobody would believe me. It's probably somewhere in the last thread.