Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the term limits came into effect during his first term and the supreme court ruled that first term didn't count toward his term limit.

This is not what they ruled at all!

Background: Morales was elected to his first five-year term in 2005 with about 53% of the vote (A full 25% over the next most successful candidate). Much of his early presidency was spent presiding over the 2006-2007 Constitutional Assembly, which rewrote Bolivia's constitution. Once written, the constitution was put to a vote in early 2009, passing 61-38, and called for new elections in December 2009. As written, the Constitution stated that people in certain positions, including the Presidency, could only run for reelection once—however, it was also understood at the time that, as Morales' first term had been under the old Constitution, he would be able to run in 2009 and still run for reelection in 2014.

After winning by large margins in 2009 (64-27) and 2014 (61-24), on top of his victory in a 2008 recall referendum (67% to stay), Morales stated he would abide by the constitution and not run for reelection in 2019. Then, he changed his mind, stating that his supporters wanted him to run again, and put the issue of abolishing term limits and amending the constitution to a referendum in 2016. The vote failed narrowly, 51-49, and was the first time Morales had lost a national election. At first, Morales said he would stand by the results of the referendum and retire after his term was up... but then went to the country's constitutional court (Not the supreme court!) to ask them to abolish term limits. The court, whose members are elected in national elections, voted to declare the Constitution was Unconstitutional, citing that term limits violated the American Convention on Human Rights. This opened the way for Morales to attempt the Full Roosevelt, though the decision was widely protested (For obvious reasons).

In the most recent election, setting aside the claims and counterclaims of fraud/not fraud, Morales won with his lowest approval yet, 47-36, just barely avoiding a runoff election, and his party got murdered in the parliamentary elections, losing a full third of their seats in the lower house and several seats in the upper house, leaving them still in power but with extremely slim majorities.

Regardless of whether the opposition's accusations of fraud are true, it's clear that Morales' decision to run for a fourth term hurt him and his party badly at the polls, and energized the opposition. It's a lovely situation all around, and one that likely could have been avoided if Morales had decided to accept the results of the first referendum and found someone else to run in his place and continue his work.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

A legitimate court, that overturned a popular referendum explicitly voting down another term for Morales?

How is it on Earth-2 where Al Gore foiled the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the US is involved in 0 forever wars?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wut....

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Not today, CID.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How is military coup ever a justified response to "broke term limit by winning an unrigged popular election"

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stephen-miller-pushed-racist-stories-to-breitbart-leaked-emails-show

Well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

How is military coup ever a justified response to "broke term limit by winning an unrigged popular election"

I believe the US South American flow chart is just:
Thing happens -> sponsor right wing coup

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I am shocked.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Eej posted:

Leftists

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Stravag posted:

Strangley enough this is covered in the constitution because of the fdr amendment i think. You can only serve a max as 10 years as president so if you serve 3 years of your predecessors term youre only elligible for one election campaign

In a 5 - 4 decision written by Justice Kavanaugh...

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LongDarkNight posted:

In a 5 - 4 decision written by Justice Kavanaugh...

...the Supreme Court ruled that bribing a public official is legal, so long as the bribe is reimbursement for Washington Nationals tickets.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

...the Supreme Court ruled that bribing a public official is legal, so long as the bribe is reimbursement for Washington Nationals tickets.

In a 5-4 decision Harvard football tickets are also acceptable. A vicious dissent read from the bench by Sotomayor and joined by Thomas, Kavanaugh, and Alito says that only Yale could be acceptable. Controversially it ended with the phrase "beat Harvard"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I find the "we're all just a buncha leftists in here" amusing given various folks thinking Joe Biden was good not too far back and a few pro-Buttigieg posts I remember over the last couple months.

There are some leftists that post in here, and who exactly qualifies as a leftist is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, but there ALSO other people who are not leftists in this thread. Mostly everyone is dem-friendly (as far as I know) but that don't make you a leftist, IMO.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Being a leftist also doesn't mean you have to carry water for leftist dictators, fyi

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I wish all dictators got popularly elected in a manner that the independent judiciary supported. That would be great. By any measure, George W was more of a dictator than morales. I loving hate George W but he was not a dictator, despite becoming president after getting fewer votes and being installed by a court even less democratic than Bolivia

If a coup is justified in Bolivia in these circumstances then a coup is justifiable everywhere.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 12, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Being a leftist also doesn't mean you have to carry water for leftist dictators, fyi

lucky we're not discussing a leftist dictator

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
"The election wasn't rigged because what happened in Florida in 2000 was worse" is a pretty weaksauce justification, my dudes

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1194085622924939265?s=19

:thunk:

look at the location where it's trending

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

cia needs to get on that nordvpn deal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Extremely popular among both CIA analysts and AWS US-East twitters bots!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZNyv87b4E

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Rookie mistake, should have just set up a bench warmer puppet like Dmitry Medvedev for the next term.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I really dont know what is more insulting at this point. The laziness going into the fraud allegations, or how thinly veiled the astroturfed support is

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

I know it's an incel argument but if you're attractive and have charisma, you really can win over the chuds and lovely men in power.

She's mentally ill..apparently she's a cancer survivor too? https://www.instagram.com/p/B02fMhgHs29/

quote:

The day this photo was taken was from the last time I was diagnosed with cancer.

At least her husband seems to be a real USMC vet and USNA grad

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 12, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/...ingawful.com%2F

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I really dont know what is more insulting at this point. The laziness going into the fraud allegations, or how thinly veiled the astroturfed support is

How insultingly lazy, to cite the report of an independent multinational organization, the results of which both sides had agreed to abide by, which conducted a thorough two-week investigation, with no further evidence

Clearly this unverified, unsupported twitter account is a better source, as it agrees with my preconceived notions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

How insultingly lazy, to cite the report of an independent multinational organization, the results of which both sides had agreed to abide by, which conducted a thorough two-week investigation, with no further evidence

Clearly this unverified, unsupported twitter account is a better source, as it agrees with my preconceived notions

They were unable to verify the security of the e-voting machines. By this standard most US elections are illegitimate too.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

hobbesmaster posted:

They were unable to verify the security of the e-voting machines. By this standard most US elections are illegitimate too.

I mean

That’s exactly what’s happened

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

The preliminary OAS report, following an audit of the Oct. 20 vote, said that the international body could not verify the result after it found "clear manipulations".

"The manipulations to the computer system are of such magnitude that they must be deeply investigated by the Bolivian State to get to the bottom of and assign responsibility in this serious case," the report said.

Sure sure "unable to verify the security"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Best Friends posted:

I wish all dictators got popularly elected in a manner that the independent judiciary supported. That would be great. By any measure, George W was more of a dictator than morales. I loving hate George W but he was not a dictator, despite becoming president after getting fewer votes and being installed by a court even less democratic than Bolivia

If a coup is justified in Bolivia in these circumstances then a coup is justifiable everywhere.

Who in this thread said a coup was justified? I missed it. Can you please quote them?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The biggest, dumbest moron to have ever lived.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1194359256805494786?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chichevache posted:

Who in this thread said a coup was justified? I missed it. Can you please quote them?

Cugel the Clever posted:

If your team's elected representative has nominally fought for causes you care about, they destroy everything by malfeasance, whether disregard for term limits, corruption, or sexual harassment, and if you just handwave it away you're going to be unpleasantly surprised when the rug is pulled out from under you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Suicide Watch posted:

I know it's an incel argument but if you're attractive and have charisma, you really can win over the chuds and lovely men in power.

That's not an incel argument. Incels think this about every woman who's every accomplished anything. There's a difference.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That's a hell of a stretch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:yikes:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

It's not compressible to a twitter headline, but here is a non-crappy Rundown of today's oral arguments in the DACA cases

The nitty gritty:
Anti-DACA: 1) It's a political question so it's not reviewable, and 2) even if the Administration didn't dot every 'i' and cross every 't' this time, the Administration could end DACA tomorrow it they wanted to and it would be unreviewable, so why are we even here?
Pro-DACA: 1) It's not a political question, and 2) A :decorum: argument - the Administration can't do what it's allowed to do if it doesn't do it in the proper manner.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Going “well the truth is in the middle” or “he’s a bad hombre” has a very clear implication when the context is a coup. Doubly so when the truth is not actually in the middle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just another normal day in Hong Kong

https://twitter.com/leolodo1226/status/1194366771509235712?s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-gen-x-mortality-rate-mental-health-depression-2019-11

American millennials' mental and physical health is on the decline — and they're on track to die faster than Gen X, a new report says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

thank god