Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cicero posted:

What options are around as far as co-op RTS gaming? Not counting just custom skirmishes vs AI, almost everything has that. SC2's co-op mode is good, though ideally I'd like something that's more of a campaign. Gonna be playing with my 8 year old.

Dawn of War 2 would definitely be a good pick, given that (especially in Retribution) you can make your dudes ridiculously OP if you want, and I think you can set how many squads each player gets. On the other side of the table, it looks like there's a coop mod for Supreme Commander.

Oh, for something newer, there's also Spellforce 3, though that's divided between RPG and RTS sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
For co-op RTS gaming there is AI War: Fleet Command. It pretty much is the definition of long-form campaign. I’m not sure if I’d recommend it in the case of an 8-year old, however- not even considering it has a sequel now (co-op not yet implemented).

The learning curve is going to be rough, especially if you both pick it up at the same time. The graphics are underwhelming as well. Soundtrack is great but not typical 8 year old stuff. I’ve had fun playing it with my 60+ year old father, but I had to help him figure things out occasionally.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Dawn of War 2 also has the 'Last Stand' mode included, which is a very popular co-op vs AI survival mode.
Though notably it's not an RTS since you don't build troops or gather resources, it's just hero-based. It also has no story.
But it IS fun.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I keep hearing how glorious Endless Legend is and finally dived in. Are there any uptodate guides or newb friendly playthroughs that anyone would recommend?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
More recent Total War games let you play coop with both the turnbased campaign and the RTS battles.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
https://www.projectceleste.com/

Fan rebuild of Age of Empires Online has pretty good co-op I hear! Haven't played it but have heard good things :)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Kris xK posted:

I keep hearing how glorious Endless Legend is and finally dived in. Are there any uptodate guides or newb friendly playthroughs that anyone would recommend?

One recommendation I hear a lot is to start with the expansion content off. I’ll see if I can turn up something this evening but are you working with the base game or all expansions?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Not the Messiah posted:

https://www.projectceleste.com/

Fan rebuild of Age of Empires Online has pretty good co-op I hear! Haven't played it but have heard good things :)

...Huh. I had no idea this was a thing.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

LordSloth posted:

One recommendation I hear a lot is to start with the expansion content off. I’ll see if I can turn up something this evening but are you working with the base game or all expansions?

I went crazy and got them all. Right now I'm playing as the Vaulters who seem generic and scientific which should be up my alley.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

More recent Total War games let you play coop with both the turnbased campaign and the RTS battles.

This includes gifting control of as many or as few units as you want in the tactical battles.

Giving someone some micro-heavy units while the other controls the battle line can be very effective.

Or in the case of an 8 year old, picking Warhammer Total War and giving them control of a couple of monsters/heros might work well.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Oh yeah, the co-op question lets me talk about a classic old game series I like talking about :

Myth: The Fallen Lords (and Myth 2: Soulblighter, and yes, even Myth 3: The Wolf Age).
These games allow co-op multiplayer, with the host 'gifting' units to the other player. And it has a strong single-player campaign. So that's definitely an option.

So, Myth...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PliayDCDvL4

Myth was made by Bungie before they became 'The Halo guys' and after they were the 'one of the only halfway decent Mac FPS game' guys.

It's a real-time tactics game, more than real-time strategy - there's no unit production or resource management. You start every mission/game with a limited number of troops and unless there's some story event or something to give you reinforcements, what you see is what you get. Units don't heal naturally and resources are limited.

For its time (and to some extent, even now) Myth has some really cool features.

The game is in 3D (2D sprites for the characters in the first 2 games, but full 3D environments) and it has a really robust physics system. Arrows, javelins, thrown grenades, severed body parts... they can all be given velocity and trajectory. Terrain gets permanently altered by blood, explosions, debris, footprints in the snow etc. Arrows arc through the air and will only hit what they physically make contact with. This results in increased range if you're firing from high ground (and reduced range if firing up), the potential to take cover or micromanage some evasive action at long range... and the potential for friendly fire.

The molotov cocktails used by dwarves are unpredictable but awesome/hilarious. They'll likely be one of the main causes of failing a mission, as well as one of the main causes of surviving. They don't always go off when they hit - sometimes they'll bounce once, then go off. Sometimes they might go out. Weather effects affect this too. I'll always remember one of my favourite missions, where you're supposed to hold a tactically strong position at a river against a massive horde of tough, slow-moving zombies. The heavy rain was causing my dwarves' grenades to go out one after the other, leading me to almost give up in despair... until one go through, blew up, detonated the one next to it, and set of a massive chain reaction that sent zombie bits raining down for some time afterward.

The game's damage model includes 'flinching' - basically, most units, if injured, will flinch briefly, interrupting whatever they were doing - such as taking a swing with a weapon. This means that being surrounded - even by inferior units - is quickly deadly to your troops, since the constant hits will prevent them from completing an attack of their own and slow down any attempts to flee. Conversely, there are certain units (looking at you, Myth 2) that are powerful by virtue of being nearly 'flinch-proof', and are capable of ripping through troops even when surrounded.

Units gain experience and get more effective (increased accuracy, typically) if you keep them alive - it's subtle but an experienced archer is definitely better than an inexperienced one.

The single-player campaign has an engaging story, well-told by an evocative narrator. It gives the sense of a desperate war against an implacable foe. It doesn't over-explain, and instead gives the sense of a much larger world and story out there, of which we are only catching a small glimpse. It tells of the Legion, the last embattled defenders of humanity, and their battle against The Fallen Lords, who are leading an endless army of undead and monsters to wipe out civilization.

The game controls can be a little challenging to get used to, the game in general is quite hard. There are never really any huge battles - it's mostly smaller skirmishes - and personally I am a little disappointed that most battles are decided by your ability to take out enemies at range (melee tends to only happen when things have gotten really bad) but I do still strongly recommend it.

The modding community has further patched and graphically enhanced Myth 2, and even ported the entirely to Myth 1 into it. If you're interested, see https://projectmagma.net

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The C&C Dawn of The Tiberium Age mod has Co-Op missions, I think Twisted Insurrection does too. I haven't played the missions but the mods themselves are pretty nice standalones that run nicely in HD resolutions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Age of Empires 4 showing tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1194547758734233600

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there a total war thread?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Two of them:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490183 (general)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548 (Warhammer)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gonna second Myth. I've not played any coop game that approaches the shenanigans of Myth. It's all I can do to not write a crazy effortpost that almost nobody would read, because god drat is Myth good.

e: The theme is basically "The Black Company, but a computer game instead of a book."

e2:

Soul Reaver posted:

personally I am a little disappointed that most battles are decided by your ability to take out enemies at range (melee tends to only happen when things have gotten really bad) but I do still strongly recommend it.

This is partly true, primarily due to the player's role as the Quality force versus the enemy's Quantity, but not entirely. Myth 2 leans more this way due to the rule of phalanx tactics, but Myth 1 (the original masterpiece - play this in the modernized Myth 2 engine for best experience) and Myth 3 (the weird off-brand one that still has some good qualities) both focus on flanking and enveloping in melee combat. You can do a ton of work in 1 and 3 with well-controlled melee troops. It also makes melee units stronger in general in those games, since explosives have a field day against Myth 2 melee phalanxes.

e3: Really, what wins battles in Myth is organization; when you start stepping on your toes due to too many threats from too many angles, and your units start getting in each others' way as your orders pull your formation in different directions simultaneously, is when you die.

e4: There's also an enormous store of custom coop/solo maps that modders created over the many many many years of the game's active lifespan. I remember playtesting some almost fiendish coop maps with algorithmically varied enemies with algorithmically varied tactics, as opposed to the static scripting of the campaign.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 13, 2019

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Came here to post this. Very curious to see what time period this one will be. Hopefully sometime pre-gunpowder.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Corbeau posted:

Myth 3 (the weird off-brand one that still has some good qualities)

I know it's different and kind of weird at times, but I actually liked Myth 3 a lot. The graphics/animations were really good, and while I know some people will think it's unnecessary, I actually really loved how the prequel 'wrapped up' the story the way it did by answering lingering questions and seeing how it set up events in the first two games - it makes a lot of sense for that to be case with the cyclical nature of the plot. The gameplay formula felt tight and well-executed.

The only big letdowns for me were the terrible overcompressed pre-rendered cinematics, the 3D health/mana bars and the considerably less good (though by any measure, still decent) narrator.

Even so, it gave me one of my most memorable gaming moments - a Trow Iron Warrior, surrounded by Heron Guard, who manages to swing his hammer. Ooof.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fanatic posted:

Came here to post this. Very curious to see what time period this one will be. Hopefully sometime pre-gunpowder.

The announcement trailer spans from antiquity to the Revolutionary War so who knows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Age of Empires Earth

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Corbeau posted:

Gonna second Myth. I've not played any coop game that approaches the shenanigans of Myth. It's all I can do to not write a crazy effortpost that almost nobody would read, because god drat is Myth good.
I remember that there was a guy who remade the main game loops of Myth 2 but nobody bought it on Steam so he shut it down. It really sucks that the video game people doesn't (financially) support indie RTS games.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Relax Or DIE posted:

Age of Empires Earth

I can't tell whether to be excited or afraid.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Love Stole the Day posted:

I remember that there was a guy who remade the main game loops of Myth 2 but nobody bought it on Steam so he shut it down. It really sucks that the video game people doesn't (financially) support indie RTS games.

Bad news for my hobby project then. :v: I'd be curious if anyone has any more information on that steam game though.

e: Deadhold? It looks like they went multiplayer-first and campaign-later, which is an immediate red flag for any indie game. Doubly so when a bunch of effort appears to have gone into meta-game unlocks and abilities for said multiplayer?

Soul Reaver posted:

I know it's different and kind of weird at times, but I actually liked Myth 3 a lot. The graphics/animations were really good, and while I know some people will think it's unnecessary, I actually really loved how the prequel 'wrapped up' the story the way it did by answering lingering questions and seeing how it set up events in the first two games - it makes a lot of sense for that to be case with the cyclical nature of the plot. The gameplay formula felt tight and well-executed.

The only big letdowns for me were the terrible overcompressed pre-rendered cinematics, the 3D health/mana bars and the considerably less good (though by any measure, still decent) narrator.

Even so, it gave me one of my most memorable gaming moments - a Trow Iron Warrior, surrounded by Heron Guard, who manages to swing his hammer. Ooof.

I really liked Myth 3 multiplayer, but the campaign suffered from requiring incredibly game-y solutions to problems like Trow Iron Warriors. TFL and Myth 2 never broke my suspension of disbelief that way. Myth 3 Herons were badass though - easily my favorite Myth unit from the entire trilogy.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 14, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Love Stole the Day posted:

I didn't play it because I don't buy EA games, but I thought he also went off course and started adding a bunch of questionable mechanics to it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

The announcement trailer spans from antiquity to the Revolutionary War so who knows.

Calling it now, Age of Empires 4 will be from Victorian Era to Modern Warfare, so a quarter of the game will be Company of Heroes 3.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Looks like Age of Empire II: DE is available for pre-install and good timing too as a 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate for $1 deal just started.

Mordja posted:

Wow 2017. No wonder I don't remember that trailer. :cheeky: Hopefully we find out something at this X019 conference.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

ZearothK posted:

A Year of Rain is in EA now. Any takers from our steemed forums? Reviews suggest there are quite a few technical problems with the game.

I picked it up. Was able to get a single multiplayer match on the first day. And I haven't been able to get one since. So it's completely dead in terms of multiplayer (as usual it seems with RTS's these days :( ). I haven't played the campaign mostly because it's still in EA and I'd rather wait till it's fully released.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They just did the AoE4 trailer. Looks medieval.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they didnt follow the plan!!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
StarCraft 2 has some pretty big balance changes rolling out soon. Great RTS that's free to play and updated constantly and is very fun to play. I promise that you will win 50% of your games if you play ladder, because the matchmaking system is top-notch and there are millions of people playing. Give it a shot if you haven't played in a while or never tried it out. It's one of the best RTS of all time.

Warcraft 3 was also pretty good, though imo the whole hero unit thing always felt a little tacked on to me as a way to differentiate itself, but they made it work I guess. I'll probably see some of you online when reforged launches.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Krazyface posted:

They just did the AoE4 trailer. Looks medieval.

Could just be one of the several ages.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Accessories are on point.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

As an aside I would give almost anything for Bungie to roll out a lower budget, semi-side project Myth 4. Holy gently caress that would be such a dream come true. The Myth games are my favorite RTS by a loving mile and no one has ever even come close to doing anything like them. Goddammit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing through Homeworld Remastered, beat HW1 last night, about five missions deep into HW2. Unpopular opinion: so far, Homeworld 2 has the superior campaign. To play, I mean, I fully understand why people aren't down with the mysticism and prophecy bullshit, and it doesn't have a hook as compelling as the first game's exiles' return. But Homeworld's mission design was really pretty simplistic and some levels could be completed in under ten minutes. Like, a later one is just "swat some ships away from the Bentusi, mission complete." Meanwhile, HW2's had me protecting inbound crew ships and taking down border forts. I've also held that HW2's gameplay is also better, but that's not a new thought for me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
HW2s feature of punishing you for not losing ships in the campaign is just one of those things that colors my memory of it to an absurd degree. It's all immaterial anyhow as Cataclysm owns the throne.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Okay, after playing some Myth 2 again, is Myth 3 any good? I remember playing it way back when and being disappointed by it, but that might have been due to how buggy it was. Is it any good with fan patches, or should I stick with 1 and 2?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LordSloth posted:

For co-op RTS gaming there is AI War: Fleet Command. It pretty much is the definition of long-form campaign. I’m not sure if I’d recommend it in the case of an 8-year old, however- not even considering it has a sequel now (co-op not yet implemented).

The learning curve is going to be rough, especially if you both pick it up at the same time. The graphics are underwhelming as well. Soundtrack is great but not typical 8 year old stuff. I’ve had fun playing it with my 60+ year old father, but I had to help him figure things out occasionally.

AI War lets one player play a single, powerful, upgradable "champion" ship instead of a faction. Still maybe not an 8-year-old's first choice. AI War 2 is fresh out of course, and maybe they'll implement this feature later.

Does Majesty let you do co-op?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mordja posted:

I'm playing through Homeworld Remastered, beat HW1 last night, about five missions deep into HW2. Unpopular opinion: so far, Homeworld 2 has the superior campaign. To play, I mean, I fully understand why people aren't down with the mysticism and prophecy bullshit, and it doesn't have a hook as compelling as the first game's exiles' return. But Homeworld's mission design was really pretty simplistic and some levels could be completed in under ten minutes. Like, a later one is just "swat some ships away from the Bentusi, mission complete." Meanwhile, HW2's had me protecting inbound crew ships and taking down border forts. I've also held that HW2's gameplay is also better, but that's not a new thought for me.

Did you make your judgements on HW1's gameplay based on the original game or the remastered version? Because the remaster absolutely hosed a lot of HW1's gameplay mechanics because they built it on HW2's engine. This means that it doesn't have the fuel mechanic for fighters or the fact that HW1's projectiles were actual projectiles that had to travel through space to hit something instead of being set dressing for the RNG "hit or miss" HW2 has.

Not gonna remark on the mission mechanics since HW2 does have more variety.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

skaianDestiny posted:

Did you make your judgements on HW1's gameplay based on the original game or the remastered version? Because the remaster absolutely hosed a lot of HW1's gameplay mechanics because they built it on HW2's engine. This means that it doesn't have the fuel mechanic for fighters or the fact that HW1's projectiles were actual projectiles that had to travel through space to hit something instead of being set dressing for the RNG "hit or miss" HW2 has.

Not gonna remark on the mission mechanics since HW2 does have more variety.
Two things:

1)I'm speaking solely on its mission design and nothing else. And that's not to say that I thought it was a bad campaign in any way, just a little simplistic. But the underlying gameplay was still fun, and the big moments still hit like they did. My statement was only a comparison of the two, not a dismissal of the first game.
2)I played the original HW1 back in the day, and while my recent run was with the remastered, I'm on the patch that adds back in physical projectiles and formations and such; adds 'em to HW2 as well, I think. No fuel, but I never thought that added a lot in the first place.
3)Also HW2 has such good music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Pathos posted:

Okay, after playing some Myth 2 again, is Myth 3 any good? I remember playing it way back when and being disappointed by it, but that might have been due to how buggy it was. Is it any good with fan patches, or should I stick with 1 and 2?

My response to this one?
Yes, I liked it a lot.

There's a lot of unit variety - multiple types of Myrkridia, multiple types of Berskers, multiple types of Ghol, multiple types of Dwarves, multiple types of Trow etc
The 3D models are smoothly animated.
The storyline fills in a lot of gaps. Some people don't like it because, having been made a by a different studio, it feels a bit like fanfiction that was written specifically to explain the stuff that was supposed to remain mysterious - personally, I don't mind it at all, and I found the explanations welcome and satisfying, serving as a conclusion despite the game itself being a prequel. Don't read up on it if you can avoid it.

It does seem a wee bit weird how technology hasn't really changed between Myth III and Myth I, but that's a minor gripe.

Overall gameplay mechanics are vintage Myth, though it does lean a bit more on the unique playable hero units than some previous entries.
It is at times also HARD AS BALLS. The difficulty curve goes all over the show. The difficulty of a mission tends to determined more by how hard it should be according to the story, rather than any sort of progression. Which personally I don't mind, but makes it a poor entry point to the series. No problem for veterans though.

I personally didn't experience major bugs or stability problems when I played, but I might have just been lucky. The last patch released is available here: https://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-iii-1-3-1-patch-pc. I believe it has stability improvements.