Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mystic Stylez posted:

This might be a tall order but anything for Disco Elysium
All you need, on the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anything for Blackguards 2?
Do I need to play 1 first?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

If I'm going to play through Pillars of Eternity II only once, what character class should I be if I want to see the most stuff?
You want to be an Aumaua race Cipher/Priest of Whatever The Fire Goddess Is Called to the most class/race specific dialogue. I looked it up on the wiki once, those are apparently what gets the most lines. None of them really matter, though, it's just flavour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably still a bit early for Death Stranding, but I keep hearing about how postponing side missions until episode 3 is a good idea.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably still a bit early for Death Stranding, but I keep hearing about how postponing side missions until episode 3 is a good idea.

Also holding l2 and r2 everywhere makes you never stumble or fall.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Death Stranding tip: try to place your ladders in such a way that the top of the ladder is roughly flush with the ground, because Sam will jump down and faceplant even if the ladder is 20 feet off the ground.

Also, ladders are almost more useful as impromptu bridges than as climbing aids. You can use them to cross both bodies of water and just generally rough terrain. You can even balance a vehicle over them, if you're careful. Always carry ladders.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Death Stranding tip: try to place your ladders in such a way that the top of the ladder is roughly flush with the ground, because Sam will jump down and faceplant even if the ladder is 20 feet off the ground.

Also, ladders are almost more useful as impromptu bridges than as climbing aids. You can use them to cross both bodies of water and just generally rough terrain. You can even balance a vehicle over them, if you're careful. Always carry ladders.

It's also worth carrying a climbing anchor; apparently one item has three charges so it's good to keep one on hand in case you come across any sheer drops that you want to trivialize, you can get a lot of mileage out of that 5kg of cargo.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, this is super true.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Also holding l2 and r2 everywhere makes you never stumble or fall.

Drains your stamina and you move slower, but yeah. If you're going in a straight line don't but if you feel like you might have to turn or whatever then go for it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also worth carrying a climbing anchor; apparently one item has three charges so it's good to keep one on hand in case you come across any sheer drops that you want to trivialize, you can get a lot of mileage out of that 5kg of cargo.

I just realized this tonight, I've been walking around with 6 or 9 loving ropes most of the time I've been playing.

So yeah, really tips for this game boil down to what's been mentioned and also:

* There's a super exhaustive tips section in the menu of every tutorial thing plus some other stuff
* You need to stop moving to see/scan BTs
* People's routes get shared and form desire paths, makes it a bit easier to travel and also know where to say build a bridge or whatever
* The delivery time stat only goes up if a delivery is timed and at least so far I haven't seen a lot of those (my highest stat atm is like 60ish, delivery time is 12~15)
* Item descriptions sometimes have additional info about how to use things as well
* Participate with the online aspects, check for cargo to deliver in the share locker, give items, literally mash the like button, etc.

I feel like there's not much to say without telling you how to play, it's pretty straight forward game-play wise and has the info for the systems in the game. Explore around, consider stealing a truck if you can, build stuff, etc.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Anyone got tips for Dicey Dungeons? I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I feel like I suck even more than I usually would expect from a roguelite, so I'm thinking there's stuff I'm doing wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ritznit posted:

Anyone got tips for Dicey Dungeons? I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I feel like I suck even more than I usually would expect from a roguelite, so I'm thinking there's stuff I'm doing wrong.
We've got a thread for it! Been a while since I played, but from what I remember...

- In battle, always check what the enemy can do before you decide what you want to do (you can click at the top of the screen to see their abilities).
- Builds that care about numbers of dice are generally more consitent than those that care about specific dice values, since splitting dice is easy and almost always results in a +1 in dice value.
- If you would split a 1, it instead splits into two 1s. This creates an exception to the "value builds are unreliable" tip, since splitting actually synergizes well (though this is mostly useful for the thief).
- Shield is conserved across turns, which generally makes it more useful than an equivalent amount of healing.
- Don't rely too hard on either freeze or shock. They're powerful, but there's one boss immune to each, and freeze in particular can either completely shut down a monster's strategy, or end up enabling it super hard. Burn is a good source of additional consistent damage, but is less effective against monsters that can just choose to not use some of their dice. Blind is almost completely useless against enemies, but there's no enemies that can punish you for using lock (and only one immune boss, IIRC.)
- Rushdown is tempting, but unless you can go infinite or practically-infinite, tanky/survivability builds are almost always better against bosses.
- Don't settle too hard into a particular build until about midgame, since you never know what kinds of enablers you might find in chests or the shop.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 11, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Return of the Obra Dinn.

Thanks

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Been a while, and game not installed, so IIRC:

Return of the Obra Dinn.

* If you can't find the next corpse, check your book - it will have the it's location in the relevant page.
* When your ferryman talks about a storm? It means you found everything, now get to solving.
* In a flashback, if you zoom on a character, you will be shown their sketch - and if you click, you will be taken into their page.
* In the dialogue transcript, an X next to a line means it's being spoken by whoever died there.
* Forged weapon? Speared. Natural one is spiked. (This is where "I know everything but the exact verb the game wants")
* You can brute force - I suggest you don't. It's much more fun to figure how to ID everyone by the small details.

E:formatting

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 12, 2019

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Return of the Obra Dinn:

Pay attention. The game rewards you for noticing tiny details. Every detail is carefully chosen. Consider playing with headphones.

Some of the characters have multiple valid answers for cause of death, you don't always need to be perfectly accurate.

Whenever you get three characters completed, the game will tell you and lock them in. Sometimes, this mechanic gives you extra information (i.e. whenever you close another three cases, you can be certain that all your other characters are either incomplete or partially wrong). One chapter can only be solved in the post-game-- you'll know which one early.

You can leave the boat early without ending the game; although you get an ending (and a little extra info), you can still go back to the boat and keep playing.

Often, you need to make educated guesses. Occasionally, brute-forcing a puzzle works-- though only once you've narrowed it down to two or three people.

This is a spoiler, but it's a vague one, and I was glad when it was pointed out to me: the hammocks have numbers on them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oldpainless posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn.

Thanks

-The game is generally very fair. There are tricky solutions, but the game will generally not play with intentional deception.

-Once the help menu (the question mark in the identification page) is available, make sure you look at "Using the book, generally", which has some important hint information which isn't quite covered by the "mandatory" tutorials.

-The difficulty ratings are static and do not change based on how much information you uncover.

-If you "force" an identification for a blurred crewmember for whom you're fairly sure of their role, you can set them to things such as "unidentified officer/seaman/passenger/etc" which can be very helpful for further scenes they appear in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krazyface posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn:
Often, you need to make educated guesses. Occasionally, brute-forcing a puzzle works-- though only once you've narrowed it down to two or three people.

Often, you can make educated guesses. However, if you're really fuckin' astute, you can get through the game without making a single guess.

Edit: Not me, I guessed like a third of them. But I read a walkthrough afterwards that went point-by-point on how to figure everything out. Was fascinating.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Not me, I guessed like a third of them. But I read a walkthrough afterwards that went point-by-point on how to figure everything out. Was fascinating.

Would you still have a link? I already finished the game but this sounds interesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mystic Stylez posted:

Would you still have a link? I already finished the game but this sounds interesting.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1552463657

I think this is the one I was looking at, but even if not, it's a pretty comprehensive guide.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Just reiterating that Return of the Obra Dinn is fair and isn't trying to trick you. If something doesn't add up, it's probably because you made a mistake somewhere and you gotta double check your information.

I absolutely adored the game and I recommend it to everyone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Obra Dinn is amazing and I heartily recommend playing it without any hints or advice at all. You'll be missing out from anything that people tell you in advance.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Obra Dinn is amazing and I heartily recommend playing it without any hints or advice at all. You'll be missing out from anything that people tell you in advance.

This is more mini-review than Q&A, but how's the pacing? What put me off in the demo was the fact that I was constantly triggering the watch, getting the info I needed in 5-10 seconds, then waiting, bored for however long while the song finished playing and it kicked me out. Does that continue to be a problem as the game goes on?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Omi no Kami posted:

This is more mini-review than Q&A, but how's the pacing? What put me off in the demo was the fact that I was constantly triggering the watch, getting the info I needed in 5-10 seconds, then waiting, bored for however long while the song finished playing and it kicked me out. Does that continue to be a problem as the game goes on?
There is a lot more information in the full game and there's no way you'll get it all (or even know to look for some of it) on your first visit to every body. The forced waiting only happens on the first visit.

There are definitely a few sequences where the game will push you towards another body while you're still thinking "wait, poo poo, I want to go back and keep looking at the current one", but again, that's only on your first visit. Once you've found all the bodies, you're free to logic it up at your own pace.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

There is a lot more information in the full game and there's no way you'll get it all (or even know to look for some of it) on your first visit to every body. The forced waiting only happens on the first visit.

There are definitely a few sequences where the game will push you towards another body while you're still thinking "wait, poo poo, I want to go back and keep looking at the current one", but again, that's only on your first visit. Once you've found all the bodies, you're free to logic it up at your own pace.

Oh cool, that's what I was hoping- thanks!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I found that if you find yourself waiting and going 'I don't see anything else here' you're probably missing a detail you could've been looking at.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flatluigi posted:

I found that if you find yourself waiting and going 'I don't see anything else here' you're probably missing a detail you could've been looking at.

Hey pal we’re talking about the Obra dinn not your sex life

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that doesn't even make sense in a tortured pun way

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

flatluigi posted:

that doesn't even make sense in a tortured pun way

hey we're talking about a forums post not my sex life

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I need some tips for Romancing Saga 3.

I would probably be best served by understanding which characters are most complicated to start with.

I'm playing the new version on PS4 if that matters, and am familiar with Saga Frontier

Vadun fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 16, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vadun posted:

I would probably be best served by understanding which characters are most complicated to start with.

I'm playing the new version on PS4 if that matters, and am familiar with Saga Frontier

Mikhail is HANDS DOWN the most complicated character. he has to play a quite thorough kingdom management simulation but you can only interact with it through an SNES-era UI by a company that mostly made rpgs. it is intricate as HELL, way more in-depth than RS2's was if you're familiar with it, but i poo poo you not it's almost like trying to play Nobunaga's Ambition 1 in Final Fantasy text boxes. if you're good at it, you can get some really powerful items. if you're not good at it you can straight up hit an unwinnable war battle and have to restart. the game

Julian, Thomas, Ellen, Monica, or Sara are probably the easiest to start the game with. they have a pretty standard jrpg type intro sequence that just gently eases you into the setting and the controls. Harid and Katrina are more for veteran players, they have short intros and then the game really throws you to the wolves in terms of "well. what the gently caress am i supposed to do now"

keep in mind playing as Katrina is the only way to get her to join your party(?) if you want to use her, she's cool i guess

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I’d take any tips for Romancing SaGa 2 as well, I just grabbed them both.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I strongly recommend against selecting Sara as your first character for reasons that won't become clear until very, very lategame.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any Pokemon Sword/Shield tips?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I strongly recommend against selecting Sara as your first character for reasons that won't become clear until very, very lategame.

actually it's okay because while commander mode is forced in the final battle, you can still issue commands as normal. however because sara technically leaves your party per the game's programming, your formation gets reset to Free Fight :downs:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I know it's a bit new, but anything for Fallen Order?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Gato Roboto

One section of the game is mostly underwater in a sub. The sub handles a little different from the baseline mecha suit in that holding the fire button shoots continuously and keeps the sub pointed in the same direction. Both of these wound up being necessary for me to beat the area boss.

yook fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 24, 2019

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Any Pokemon Sword/Shield tips?

You get some pokeballs pretty early without really being told about it, and if you catch something before hitting the catching tutorial it’ll automatically skip the tutorial, which helps somewhat with the loving never ending intro sequence. So check your inventory and catch something ASAP.

The Pokémon wandering around outside of grass in the wild zone can be much higher level than you, I ran into a level 40 something when my team was roughly level 12. So probably stick to the ones in the grass at first.

As far as I can tell, trying to catch anything higher level, even just 1 higher, than what you have currently out is entirely futile - I threw like 10 balls at a level 9 Growlithe with a level 8 something out, it never even shook once, switched to a level 10 one, caught first throw.

You can do the dynamax raids in the wild area very early to get some good items and Pokémon, they’re honestly pretty easy even with the dumbass AI raidmates.

The rival is awful and I can’t wait to grind him and his idiot brother into powder.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

Vadun posted:

You can have six characters in your party at any given time, but only five can participate in battle. You can enter a special commander mode by leaving your main character out of your party, which enables combo techniques, but takes away control of your characters. If you have six characters, potential party members won't offer to join, so I'd recommend sticking to five until you know the game well.

You can kick characters out of your party at pubs, but a few characters will refuse to leave. The girl who names herself after desserts is easy enough to get rid of (visit towns until you find her hometown, and she'll leave automatically), the other two (the bard and Herman) require beating major bosses. The only alternative is to purposely kill them off (reduce their LP to 0.)

There is a mini-game involving purchasing businesses. Once you start it, a couple quest important NPCs will be locked off until you either finish a phase of it, or quit it and permanently lose access to it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Lone Badger posted:

I know it's a bit new, but anything for Fallen Order?

If you need t parry something the timing is earlier than you think. Combat in general is not as precise as you may be expecting.

The next lightsaber "upgrade" is on Dathomir or the starting planet after you get a few new force powers. Its not as amazing as you think. Dathomir
is also designed to be a challenge so don't hate yourself if you can't make it very far.

Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty health upgrades are a priority.

The chests only contain cosmetic upgrades except for the yellow chests. Those contain more stim packs and are quite useful.

I would wait to explore until after you leave Zeffo for the 2nd time. After that you should have most of the upgrades and while exploring periodically face random boss battles.

Try to go down every pathway and open up shortcuts. It really helps when you have to back track. Tied into this is check your map often. Its kind of hard to read but will show you new paths and poo poo you can't access until later. This is a Metrodvania so if you've searched the whole area and can't figure out how to reach something you probably need to come back later.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ArkOfTurus posted:

You can have six characters in your party at any given time, but only five can participate in battle.
When I first read this, I thought it was a crack at HM slaves in Pokemon

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
An oldie... Is Police Quest III still enjoyable in 2019, or is the UX so atrocious compared to modern standards that it's not even worth trying? I remember playing that as a kid, but never making it far, so I figured I'd give it another shot and crush the rosy nostalgia lenses. If it's horrible, I'll just watch a Let's Play, but it's not the same..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DreadCthulhu posted:

An oldie... Is Police Quest III still enjoyable in 2019, or is the UX so atrocious compared to modern standards that it's not even worth trying? I remember playing that as a kid, but never making it far, so I figured I'd give it another shot and crush the rosy nostalgia lenses. If it's horrible, I'll just watch a Let's Play, but it's not the same..
I played a whole bunch of adventure games, back in the 90's and now. Trying to play PQIII back in... 2015? I never managed to figure out how to drive anywhere \ get on the highway. Dropped the game.

Make of that what you will.