Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I think our cat is dedicated to showing us that cats can be expensive to maintain too... we're on track to get a puppy soon but she's had 4 visits to the vet in a month for various urinary tract issues with constant recovery / relapses.

Anyone else run into this before? I'm hoping that we can do something other than suck up vet bills and hope it doesn't come back again.

Picture of the little jerk for reference:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

mistaya posted:

1: DO NOT USE FLEA COLLARS. They're very bad for the cat and often do not even work.
2: DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH A HERTZ LABEL. Hertz has a bad track record of poisoning pets.
3: READ ALL YOUR LABELS. Lots and lots of flea products cannot be used on a kitten less that 12 weeks of age! The product will say on the bottle what age is required for safe use.

Get a bottle of unscented Dawn dishsoap and scrub your kitten in the sink. Start by making a "ring" around the neck to prevent any fleas from trying to rush up to her face and then bathe her like a duck in an oil spill. Don't get her head wet though, if you can help it, or water in her ears.

Anything she's been sleeping on needs to be washed in hot water as it may have eggs on it. Vaccuum everything you can and dump/empty the can/bag immediately. It's not fun but it's a manageable disaster. 11 week old kitten can have Revolution or Capstar I believe if you want to treat the pet directly (which is a good idea) but again, READ YOUR LABELS before you buy anything and make sure you have a safe product for the age and weight of your kitten.

e: If you want home remedies I've heard that using a heat lamp over a plate of soapy water will attract and catch fleas. They go for the heat source, land in the soap and can't get out so they drown. Won't remove eggs but can attract any loose fleas. That said don't leave soapy water plates out unattended in case the kitten thinks it's a water bowl.

e2: You should tell the previous owner about this because if she had fleas they all have fleas.

Ok so thread consensus is ;

1. Flea collars dont work, and will either choke or chemically harm said kitty

2. Use how water to launder all that I can.

3. Daily flea combing

4. Daily vacuuming

5. Monthly flea treatments.

I already called the vet and they just suggested using Frontline/Advantage, and waiting a week. The current plan is a bath, clean house, do laundry, and wait a week before using the Frontline. Also possibly treat my carpets with this stuff called Tropiclean Natural Flea & Tick Carpet Powder. Anyone have any experience with that?

Just to allay my paranioa since this is my first cat. I assume they are ticks because they are small black little oblong thinsg that moved quickly, they were on her head.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 9, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've had success with this product: https://www.chewy.com/vets-best-waterless-flea-tick-cat/dp/148049

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaj posted:

Just to allay my paranioa since this is my first cat. I assume they are ticks because they are small black little oblong thinsg that moved quickly, they were on her head.

Those are fleas. Ticks latch on and don't let go. They get big and swollen with blood.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Bleh I mispoke, yes fleas.

Post bath report: There was blood. Cat is now dry and by a heating pad.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Cherestin is the only flea med worth a poo poo

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Majorian posted:

My wife and I lost our 12-year old kitteh, Sophie, last night after a week-and-a-half long illness. We were asleep, and so was she. She had recently been diagnosed with bad hypertension, and had a seizure yesterday, so I'm guessing she had a stroke somewhere in there. She couldn't even stand up on her own last night. We planned on getting her put to sleep today, and bundled her up when she was asleep and we were going to bed. This morning we woke up and found her in exactly the same position we had left her, just cold and stiff. We were both pretty relieved, I have to say. She went peacefully, knowing that we loved her.

But yeah, this really sucks. My wife had Sophie since before we started going out, and she's been with us for a lot. She comforted us when my wife's parents passed away, she saw us through two big moves and the ups-and-downs of our various jobs, she always came and snuggled with us whenever we were feeling sad or stressed. I've never met a more empathic creature in my life. I was never really a "cat person;" I had cats growing up, but they were outdoor cats (I lived out in the countryside). But I really loved Sophie, and I miss her a lot right now.

Anyway, I've posted here a couple times asking for advice in previous years, and lurked a lot, so thanks to everyone who gave me pointers. Here's our little princess, just a few months ago:

I'm sorry for your loss. What a sweet face! She looks very happy in that photo.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Alucard posted:

I think our cat is dedicated to showing us that cats can be expensive to maintain too... we're on track to get a puppy soon but she's had 4 visits to the vet in a month for various urinary tract issues with constant recovery / relapses.

Anyone else run into this before? I'm hoping that we can do something other than suck up vet bills and hope it doesn't come back again.

Picture of the little jerk for reference:

What are the urinary tract issues, specifically?

And yeah, cats with special needs can get crazy expensive. One of mine has congenital gum disease and it's a few hundred dollars every year for dental procedures. Another one has bad eye herpes and needs fancy eye drops and Prozac :psyduck: Prozac is because she's very timid and anxious (she takes after me!), which makes the eye herpes flare up. It actually works really well. She is a good cat.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just spent a bit of time wondering why my cat was just meowing her face off from downstairs. I went down there and: "She got a cricket and wants to show us."

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Artichoke was just standing next to my bed meowing directly at me. When I woke up and asked him what he wanted he just meowed once and walked away.

Pretty hypocritical to yell at me to wake me up when he sleeps for like 18 hours a day

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My fiancee was watching her friends almost 3 year old yesterday and our cats handled it differently.

Bean hid under the couch all day long and had to be lured out with a trail of treats once she left

rear end in a top hat sat on high places looking down at this child as she begged for him to come down and get pets

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

effika posted:

Please don't use an off-the-shelf collar; one killed my mom's favorite kitten.

Listen to Dienes about vacuuming daily and washing everything. I've also got a post or two in this thread about treating for fleas around the house; let me see if I can find it.

Keep combing that little fluffball with a fleacomb and dip it into a bowl with diluted Dawn dishsoap to trap the fleas off it.

Talk to your vet about topical flea & tick treatments and heartworm prevention. These are usually once-a-month and while expensive to get a year's supply at once, month-to-month they're not too bad. The vet will know what works best in your area too! (e.g. Catego is the go-to here because we have to worry about Bobcat fever, Revolution doesn't do much now, etc).

Edit: Here we go! Integrated Pest Management for Fleas:

• Keep up with the topical flea treatments from the vet. Ask the vet if you need an accelerated application time (e.g. every 3 weeks instead of 4). If you've been given Capstar or another ingestible, use that too on schedule. (Capstar kills the fleas on the pet-- it worked for their cats but left them all lethargic and scared us a bit.)
  • Vacuum everything you can vacuum with the best vacuum you have access to. Shark, the better Dysons, etc, are great choices if you can. A HEPA filter is great. Empty the canister outside into a trash bag and dispose (or dispose of the vacuum bag) immediately each time you vacuum. You will need to vacuum daily. This includes nooks & crannies of baseboards and furniture, in your closets, etc.
  • All of your clothes, bedding, jackets and coats in the closets, curtains, etc need to be laundered. Launder daily any pet favorites (like a blanket) and weekly at minimum bedding and curtains.
  • If your cats are properly treated, you shouldn't need to flea comb them. Try doing so anyway to see if there's anything you can catch.
  • Shoes possibly brought the fleas in, so make sure outside shoes are taken off ASAP when entering and don't make it to the carpet. If you are extra paranoid and fleas are very bad where you are at, remove your entire outfit and launder. Check yourself for insects before getting dressed again.
  • Windows need to stay closed, as fleas will jump inside.
  • Treat the outside areas of your home with pesticides if you have noticed fleas jumping on you when you are outside.
  • Cut down tall weeds and grass around your home. Avoid walking through tall weeds and grass when possible.
  • Insect Growth Regulator pesticide is much safer than other flea treatment methods, but will take a few weeks to really show progress as they target only the young, growing fleas. You want a spray or a foam product to apply to areas with flea infestations to directly hit the population, and areas it is tough to get to (like under the furniture). Foggers are NOT a good idea as the fleas and their eggs are usually not in places foggers reach, nor do they provide a strong enough dose to do anything useful.

In addition to this, you can put down a dusting of borax powder or diatomaceous earth on any carpet or rugs between vacuumings. The powder dries out invertebrates and locks up their joints, killing them faster, and vacuums up pretty easily. It's also safe for large mammals like cats

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im just waiting till the end of the week until I start using prophylactic chemicals (she will be 12weeks and a bit heavier). Until then its daily flea checks and flea combing. Whenever she scratches her chin I go in and spot comb and I havent gotten anything. Like every day flea combings doesnt show any fleas, but she did have a bit of flea dirt after the bath.

I really hope her kitten habits stay into adult catshithood. She wont use her claws on me, even when going full bunny kicks. She also invites belly rubs and they arent traps. Unfortunately she has discovered the joy of knocking all the little things on my desk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gaj posted:

Unfortunately she has discovered the joy of knocking all the little things on my desk.

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
UUUGGHHHHHHHHHH

So my toilet overflowed and I had to do a full house clean, and I decided hey why not do the litter box as well. Now it seems I either have an allergy to one of the cleaners I used for the floor, or the enzyme cleaner, or I have about 100 flea bites on my stomach.

They looked like this reference image, just over my gut area and about 100 of them. They were bright red and raised.
https://www.orkin.com/other/fleas/flea-bites
However, they have all gone away in about 30 minutes, like all gone.

Now assuming the worst, I have flea bites, I am washing my entire bedspread again. Also my Cheristin came in the mail today and once my kitten is napping I will apply it to her.

My question is what can I do to fumigate my mattress. Like can I throw down some of the flea carpet powder under my foam pad or what. Should I just go ahead and call an exterminator? Should I do something stupid and apply the Cheristin to the mattress (under the foam pad and 2 mattress sheets) itself?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 11, 2019

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Account McAccount posted:

What are the urinary tract issues, specifically?

And yeah, cats with special needs can get crazy expensive. One of mine has congenital gum disease and it's a few hundred dollars every year for dental procedures. Another one has bad eye herpes and needs fancy eye drops and Prozac :psyduck: Prozac is because she's very timid and anxious (she takes after me!), which makes the eye herpes flare up. It actually works really well. She is a good cat.

She's had 3 incidents where she has strained to pee / dribbled out a little pee / had some blood in her urine over the last month. The first time she was super distressed and was silent the entire way to the vet.

The other 2 times her demeanor and behavior were more similar to her normal self, but our vet recommended we bring her in for a full check. The most recent time she puked once when she was having the trouble but went back to eating and drinking soon thereafter.

In all cases, she was back to normal that day in terms of peeing, but the first 2 times she got an anti spasmodic so that may have helped. She also came back with an all clear on the urinalysis before each recurrence.

I am hoping that the most recent round where she's gotten a slightly different antibiotic as a preventative measure, along with the consideration that she might be suited for a urinary health diet, will put this to rest once and for all.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Gaj posted:

UUUGGHHHHHHHHHH

So my toilet overflowed and I had to do a full house clean, and I decided hey why not do the litter box as well. Now it seems I either have an allergy to one of the cleaners I used for the floor, or the enzyme cleaner, or I have about 100 flea bites on my stomach.

They looked like this reference image, just over my gut area and about 100 of them. They were bright red and raised.
https://www.orkin.com/other/fleas/flea-bites
However, they have all gone away in about 30 minutes, like all gone.

Now assuming the worst, I have flea bites, I am washing my entire bedspread again. Also my Cheristin came in the mail today and once my kitten is napping I will apply it to her.

My question is what can I do to fumigate my mattress. Like can I throw down some of the flea carpet powder under my foam pad or what. Should I just go ahead and call an exterminator? Should I do something stupid and apply the Cheristin to the mattress (under the foam pad and 2 mattress sheets) itself?

Before you go apeshit with flea treament, how closely clustered were they, and were they anywhere your cleaners could have touched? It could be contact dermatitis. If you had that many flea bites in short order you'd probably see the fleas bounding around in your place.

I stayed in a friends place that was flea infested in one room and it was very apparent. Thankfully his side was clear so I slept in his room and neither of us got any of our stuff affected.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gaj posted:

Go out to target or whatever department store is near you and buy a mattress cover that explicitly says it is flea-proof. Zip it up around your mattress and leave it on for at least three months. Any fleas on/in your mattress will be trapped inside the cover and eventually die, and three months should also allow for any flea eggs inside to hatch and die off.

Also make sure you throw something heavy like a comforter or quilt over it so the kitten doesn't break the seal by cutting through it with her claws.

To prevent yourself from being bitten around the house, here are some things that I did:
1. Always wear long pants and socks, and tuck the bottoms of the pants into the socks. Most flea bites will come from fleas jumping off your carpet onto your feet/legs.
2. When going to sleep, wear long sleeves, pants, and socks. Tuck the pants into the socks, and also tuck your shirt into your pants. You'll look like a goofy idiot, but it minimizes exposed skin.
3. While you're out buying the mattress cover, go also buy a can of Off! or other skin-applied insect repellent that says it works against fleas. Spray yourself down just before you go to bed.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Alucard posted:

Before you go apeshit with flea treament, how closely clustered were they, and were they anywhere your cleaners could have touched? It could be contact dermatitis. If you had that many flea bites in short order you'd probably see the fleas bounding around in your place.

I stayed in a friends place that was flea infested in one room and it was very apparent. Thankfully his side was clear so I slept in his room and neither of us got any of our stuff affected.

Yeah Im now leaning towards contact dermatitis, as I have fairly sensative skin, my kitty isnt going crazy on scratching, and the bumps literally dissapeared in less than 30 minutes. They were randomly scattered with no visible patterns or clusters, kinda like maybe a backspray from a cleaner.

Will get a flea bag for my mattress.

EDIT

Question: Flea treatment warning says not to get into cats eyes or mouth obviously, and advises to apply to the back of the head. However it also says that if you have 2 cats it is ok for them to groom each other after 30 minutes and the solution dries. Wouldnt basic grooming possibly allow the flea treatment to be licked and thus ingested? Should I avoid scratching/petting the back of my kitty's head? Im not trying to over think this Im just curious how this works.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 11, 2019

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Apply it to the back of their shoulders, between the blades. Then wash your own hands. It tastes nasty if you have any on your hands and accidentally touch your face/mouth.

I don’t know about the grooming thing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

For the separation, I lock one cat in the bathroom and suffer both crying piteously on each side of the door for thirty minutes, then let them free.

eta: Don't touch the spot you put it for at least thirty minutes as well to avoid putting it in grooming reach.

This is all stuff my vet told me when I asked regarding Lucky and Toasters heartworm/flea prevention

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaj posted:

Yeah Im now leaning towards contact dermatitis, as I have fairly sensative skin, my kitty isnt going crazy on scratching, and the bumps literally dissapeared in less than 30 minutes. They were randomly scattered with no visible patterns or clusters, kinda like maybe a backspray from a cleaner.

Will get a flea bag for my mattress.

EDIT

Question: Flea treatment warning says not to get into cats eyes or mouth obviously, and advises to apply to the back of the head. However it also says that if you have 2 cats it is ok for them to groom each other after 30 minutes and the solution dries. Wouldnt basic grooming possibly allow the flea treatment to be licked and thus ingested? Should I avoid scratching/petting the back of my kitty's head? Im not trying to over think this Im just curious how this works.

I think you want as much as possible to get soaked into their skin to kill the fleas. If they lick it, it goes through their digestive system, where there aren't any fleas. Cheristin doesn't do anything to intestinal parasites, so it's useless there. The solvent is probably the main problem. Getting acetone in your eyes hurts like hell.

Remember that Cheristin is a one-time treatment that kills the fleas that are on your pet at the time. It won't kill the fleas in your carpet, or prevent reinfestation when eggs hatch. Long-term flea control is better with a monthly treatment like Revolution. It's more expensive, but keeps working after treatment.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I think you want as much as possible to get soaked into their skin to kill the fleas. If they lick it, it goes through their digestive system, where there aren't any fleas. Cheristin doesn't do anything to intestinal parasites, so it's useless there. The solvent is probably the main problem. Getting acetone in your eyes hurts like hell.

Remember that Cheristin is a one-time treatment that kills the fleas that are on your pet at the time. It won't kill the fleas in your carpet, or prevent reinfestation when eggs hatch. Long-term flea control is better with a monthly treatment like Revolution. It's more expensive, but keeps working after treatment.

Thank you, I am now informed and less stupid.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What? No, Cherestin starts working in 30min and is effective for up to 6wks, recommended to re-treat once a month. It is a monthly treatment.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Extremely good shithead. Thank you for taking care of her.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

For the separation, I lock one cat in the bathroom and suffer both crying piteously on each side of the door for thirty minutes, then let them free.

eta: Don't touch the spot you put it for at least thirty minutes as well to avoid putting it in grooming reach.

This is all stuff my vet told me when I asked regarding Lucky and Toasters heartworm/flea prevention

I just wait for their "off hours" when I know they're both going to be sleeping away from each other for a while. Like, usually after dinner they spaz out for 45 minutes and then take a nap, so that's when I hit them.

I live in a swampy area and it's been a hot Florida summer. Advantage doesn't seem to be working as well anymore, so I think I might give Cheristin a shot in a couple weeks when they're due for a re-up.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Shroomie posted:

I just wait for their "off hours" when I know they're both going to be sleeping away from each other for a while. Like, usually after dinner they spaz out for 45 minutes and then take a nap, so that's when I hit them.

I live in a swampy area and it's been a hot Florida summer. Advantage doesn't seem to be working as well anymore, so I think I might give Cheristin a shot in a couple weeks when they're due for a re-up.

I tried that but then they both cry and try to help clean each other because they both hate the stuff. You'd think I was murdering them....

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Fartington Butts posted:

Just spent a bit of time wondering why my cat was just meowing her face off from downstairs. I went down there and: "She got a cricket and wants to show us."

this was my cat the other day, but instead of a cricket it was unidentifiable mouse organs

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Finer grain litter seems to be helping the loud litter issue, but I have to freaking get an Amazon subscription. They've also stopped selling Orijen basically everywhere, which was one of the only dry foods they would eat. Ugh. Luckily I can still find Acana for now.

Also, I bought one of those stacking ball tower toys and Aleta loved it so much that she immediately broke it. Buying another one.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Definitely contact dermatitis, flea bits are like mosquito bites they take a little bit to go away. You're probably panicking more than you need to honestly. A treated kitten and treating the house means you're probably fine. It's a different story if you get a huge infestation but you caught it way before that could happen.

Even IN a major infestation you're gonna get them on your ankles not your stomach. Fleas generally don't care for people flesh unless they can't get on your pet. They go for body temperature and we're not warm enough to be very enticing except as a last resort.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Wozapi Waste Win*, you are a weird cat. It's a cold winter day, the bathroom is cold, I can't imagine that sitting in the ceramic bathroom sink is very warm or comfortable. Also you are preventing me from brushing my teeth and getting ready for work. I almost resorted to turning the faucet on, you would NOT have appreciated that.

cats :shrug:

*good plum pudding girl

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I picked up some Feliway solution to apply to Terry's scratching post and he loves the stuff. But he still loves scratching my couch to bits, so I guess I'll try one of those bad-tasting sprays to see if that works?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I picked up some Feliway solution to apply to Terry's scratching post and he loves the stuff. But he still loves scratching my couch to bits, so I guess I'll try one of those bad-tasting sprays to see if that works?

How would bad-TASTING sprays stop your cat from SCRATCHING something? I'd recommend putting a sheet over the couch so he scratches that instead of the couch beneath.

Or, do what I do, and never buy a piece of furniture you care that much about ruining. :thumbsup:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Look, it's just a lot easier to sacrifice the couch. In fact, I believe that every home that has a cat should have a specific cat couch which is only used by the cat(s), although it usually starts it's life as a regular couch and then gets changed into a cat couch.

So if you get a new couch, keep the old on anyway and let the cats go wild on it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, you guys might be right about that. One problem I've had in redirecting him is that he largely ignores the sisal/jute rope that most scratching posts use and won't go for the textured cardboard either. He's pretty enthusiastic about the shag carpeting at the base of his little crow's nest though, so I might see about getting a few carpet swatches for him to destroy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, you guys might be right about that. One problem I've had in redirecting him is that he largely ignores the sisal/jute rope that most scratching posts use and won't go for the textured cardboard either. He's pretty enthusiastic about the shag carpeting at the base of his little crow's nest though, so I might see about getting a few carpet swatches for him to destroy.

Sounds like Sweetheart. She only rarely goes after sisal and doesn't like cardboard at all, but boy howdy she loves going after the carpet wrapped poles on her cat tree.

She also has an old ottoman that she gets to scratch and nap on.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Sure love it when one cat eats one of my wife’s stray hairs and then poops it out, leaving a little poop trail that my kitten chases around, scaring the pooping cat and leaving poop smears everywhere. Very cool!!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
One time my rear end in a top hat ginger cat poo poo on his own tail. It was very runny and coated said tail. This concerned him, so he immediately jumped in bed and started thwapping it against the wall over my head (I was poor and didn't have actual furniture yet so no headboard). Super fun sound and smell to wake up to.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The size, orientation, and placement of the scratching post can matter a great deal for cats, as can the material its made out of. Different cats can have very different preferences, and providing a scratching post in material they don't like won't help. Carpet stores often have samples or remnants that you can get free or cheap, and you can sometimes get a heavy fabric, like canvas or burlap, from a store - I've had cats go nuts for a few layers of burlap stapled to a board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How would bad-TASTING sprays stop your cat from SCRATCHING something?

Well, there are a few ways! Bad tasting things often also smell. Cats avoid being near furniture that smells like poo poo they don't like, so they also avoid scratching that furniture. The stuff also transfers to the paws and claws quickly, which your cat notices and dislikes when grooming.

I still think it's worth trying an essential oil scented aversive spray if you've a scratching problem - it's a gentle way to try to stop unwanted behavior when your first redirection attempts have not worked. My home is still a work in progress, and likely will be my whole life, but moving from a time when some furniture just looked like poo poo and I couldn't do anything about it to now (where my cat scratches plenty of poo poo, all human approved) when none of my furniture is covered in scratches was such a big improvement to my quality of life at home, and my pride in my home, that I couldn't imagine going back. Cats really vary, and it's worth trying a wide range of interventions if your first and most likely ones fail.