Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RaMp2r7eWI

a video about the navy learning to fly the F-14 from the mid 70s

video is bad rear end

watching these guys talk about fighting the F-4 with the F-14 sounds EXACTLY like guys talking about fighting F-15/16 with the F-22

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Shooting Blanks posted:

But...why? What do you even do with something like that?

If it works, then it's possible that giving it power in the right places and sticking it on a makeshift rail would give you a poo poo tier SAM

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stravag posted:

I cant remember why did the guy in the us govt decide to rat out the us black ops teams? Money or something else?

I don't think it was rat them out per se. IIRC (it's been almost a decade since I last read it) the US kill squads in Columbia were there not wearing the flag and operating incognito. When the off-books operation started to be in danger of being discovered in Washington the people that authorized it (I think one of the Deputy CIA directors?) just swept it under the rug and didn't authorize extraction of the troops that were down there, because doing so would reveal that they had been running the op all along so they were just going to leave the guys down there to die to cartel soldiers. Jack Ryan blows the whole thing open and helps commandeer some helicopters from Panama or something to save some of the US soldiers in the end.

Thinking about 2000s+ era drone policies the ending of Clear and Present Danger and political consequences for those involved seems more far fetched now.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

You could make a Cold War gone Hot series with a modern Sharpe who is like a left leaning American constantly having to stop CIA plots to coup nations or do missions to subvert genocidal generals tryio escalate to nuclear war between shooting at Russians who constantly offer him or her sweet rewards for defection and have a nuanced in depth perspective as to the shortcomings of the Soviet system being why the protagonist ultimately refuses while still making it a "Will they or won't they" especially in response to legitimate gripes with the West.

[Standard jeremiad against moral equivalence here.]

Now that that's out of the way, these are fairly pervasive tropes in Cold War spy fiction. It's pretty much John le Carre's whole schtick. Which isn't too say his work is without literary merit; it's really good. I haven't seen the film adaptations though, and couldn't say how they stack up.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That Works posted:

I don't think it was rat them out per se. IIRC (it's been almost a decade since I last read it) the US kill squads in Columbia were there not wearing the flag and operating incognito. When the off-books operation started to be in danger of being discovered in Washington the people that authorized it (I think one of the Deputy CIA directors?) just swept it under the rug and didn't authorize extraction of the troops that were down there, because doing so would reveal that they had been running the op all along so they were just going to leave the guys down there to die to cartel soldiers. Jack Ryan blows the whole thing open and helps commandeer some helicopters from Panama or something to save some of the US soldiers in the end.

Thinking about 2000s+ era drone policies the ending of Clear and Present Danger and political consequences for those involved seems more far fetched now.
The ex-cuban Intel guy also promised to eliminate the cartels and cut cocaine exports in half.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Captain von Trapp posted:

Now that that's out of the way, these are fairly pervasive tropes in Cold War spy fiction. It's pretty much John le Carre's whole schtick. Which isn't too say his work is without literary merit; it's really good. I haven't seen the film adaptations though, and couldn't say how they stack up.

I haven't read any of his but I really liked tinker tailor and definitely recommend it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Everyone should read The spy who came in from the cold. It's a short read and quite well done imo. It's cold war as gently caress spy stuff between east and west germany and is a really tight story.

Haven't seen many of the film versions of his stuff but seconding Tinker Tailor as being a solid movie.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That Works posted:

I don't think it was rat them out per se. IIRC (it's been almost a decade since I last read it) the US kill squads in Columbia were there not wearing the flag and operating incognito. When the off-books operation started to be in danger of being discovered in Washington the people that authorized it (I think one of the Deputy CIA directors?) just swept it under the rug and didn't authorize extraction of the troops that were down there, because doing so would reveal that they had been running the op all along so they were just going to leave the guys down there to die to cartel soldiers

The fly in the ointment was the one cartel leader's pet Cuban counterintelligence officer, who figured out what the Americans were up to and figured he'd set himself on top by blackmailing the national security advisor into pulling support for the troops (and even moreso than that: by giving up their positions so he could human-wave them with cartel mercenaries and kill them all). The carrot was that once he was the sole power in the cartel, he'd act as a sort of double agent, allowing the American authorities to intercept enough drug shipments to double the street price of cocaine, and both sides would come out looking good. The American president because the street prices were up and they had all kinds of drug arrests to show to the cameras, and the cartel because it was still making huge amounts of money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
RSR was pretty good except for the kind of abject poo poo Iceland human interest side plot, which was sad. You get some good portrayals of the Muslim terrorists, some good portrayals of various Red Army commanders, soldiers, naval airmen, etc, pretty decent balance overall. The outcome isn't in a macro sense in doubt because hey, it's Clancy, but it's tense enough through reversals and good breaks for both sides.

Clancy's specific writing is kind of cringeworthy at times now but eh, it's dadlit, what do you expect?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Captain von Trapp posted:

the film of tinker tailor soldier spy is quite good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cardinal in the Kremlin had The Archer as a good guy, a Mujahideen that would most likely have become Taliban. Although the Russian he recovers from the plane crash was also pretty sympathetic what with dying slowly and horribly.

It's my favourite Clancy book but is often forgotten about because there was no movie on it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

priznat posted:

Cardinal in the Kremlin had The Archer as a good guy, a Mujahideen that would most likely have become Taliban. Although the Russian he recovers from the plane crash was also pretty sympathetic what with dying slowly and horribly.

It's my favourite Clancy book but is often forgotten about because there was no movie on it.

With the exception of the awful lesbian character (I don't mean she's awful because she's a lesbian, she's an awful character because Clancy has no idea what he's doing writing that particular character), that is an excellent spy book.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Phanatic posted:

With the exception of the awful lesbian character (I don't mean she's awful because she's a lesbian, she's an awful character because Clancy has no idea what he's doing writing that particular character), that is an excellent spy book.

Ohhh yeah I kind of remember that, she gets used by a KGB agent because of her unrequited love for her coworker.

I should really re-read it and see if it holds up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

priznat posted:

Ohhh yeah I kind of remember that, she gets used by a KGB agent because of her unrequited love for her coworker.

It's way worse than that. She helps the KGB kidnap her coworker's husband and then when the woman's crying and terrified because her husband's been kidnapped she makes a play for her by grabbing her boob.

Everything else holds up pretty well, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yikes well we've all been there!!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

RSR was pretty good except for the kind of abject poo poo Iceland human interest side plot, which was sad. You get some good portrayals of the Muslim terrorists, some good portrayals of various Red Army commanders, soldiers, naval airmen, etc, pretty decent balance overall. The outcome isn't in a macro sense in doubt because hey, it's Clancy, but it's tense enough through reversals and good breaks for both sides.

Clancy's specific writing is kind of cringeworthy at times now but eh, it's dadlit, what do you expect?

Having read RSR a dozen times when young, I'm pretty sure the cool parts were Larry Bond.

That Works posted:

Everyone should read The spy who came in from the cold. It's a short read and quite well done imo. It's cold war as gently caress spy stuff between east and west germany and is a really tight story.

Haven't seen many of the film versions of his stuff but seconding Tinker Tailor as being a solid movie.

They are usually pretty solid.

Tailor of Panama is almost a comedy, A Most Wanted Man is Seymour Hoffman's last performance, and very good.

BBC/AMC have done miniseries of Little Drummer Girl and The Night Manager which are also good.

Also, A legacy of Spies is a pretty :stonk: "Sequel" to Came in From the Cold/Looking Glass War

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

There's a complete reversal at the end of the Cardinal of the Kremlin where the Soviet officer heroically leads a KGB unit in a small unit defense of a bunch of civilians being attacked by the Archer.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

priznat posted:

Eh, the Archer character was supposed to be an Afghan math teacher motivated by the loss of his family. The Taliban would have been the kids educated in the Pakistani refugee camps along with other Pastun foreign fighters whose leadership got pissed off that Islamic law wasn't imposed after the Soviets left. Pretty even odds on the average Afghan not-Wahhabi militia guy getting absorbed by the Taliban in the 90's or fighting against them in the civil war.

It was a better book for showing that Russians weren't all bloodthirsty monsters baying for civilian blood - nor were they saints civilizing those darned violent islamo-barbarians. The mujahideen were similarly not portrayed either as good guy freedom fighters or Islamist assholes out to kill the unbelievers.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 13, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like that about the only solid action in Cardinal of the Kremlin was an HRT raid that was over in 5 seconds start to finish.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Because it's too hard to fit an entire MiG-21 in your apartment.

I mean as a kid I would have loved to have had one, preferably without the explodey bits, any classified guidance systems, or anyone who wanted it back :v:

Did anyone ever play the Cardinal of the Kremlin game? I had it when I was a kid but I think I hardly played it, I guess I was only interested in games with action and:

Wikipedia posted:

In a 1994 survey of wargames, Computer Gaming World gave the title one-plus stars out of five, stating that it "utilized intensive bar graphs as a replacement for action and entertainment".[2]

In 1996, Computer Gaming World declared Cardinal of the Kremlin the 36th-worst computer game ever released.[1]

screenshots

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Cardinal of the Kremlin is where my middle school love of Clancy ended.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

That Works posted:

I like that about the only solid action in Cardinal of the Kremlin was an HRT raid that was over in 5 seconds start to finish.

Did... Did you forget the infantry battle at the end of the book?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Smiling Jack posted:

And the requisite submarine chase.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

And the anti-aircraft duels.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Don’t forget all the laser stuff! :eng101:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Huh... poo poo you're right for some reason I just thought all that was another book. I havent read that one since maybe 1996.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Buttcoin purse posted:

Because it's too hard to fit an entire MiG-21 in your apartment.

I mean as a kid I would have loved to have had one, preferably without the explodey bits, any classified guidance systems, or anyone who wanted it back :v:

Here you go dude:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/manufacturer/mikoyan/model-group/mig-21

$75k for a single seater, $249k for a twin. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It’s not very Cold War (unless you count literally the last thirty seconds of the movie) but JoJo Rabbit is really loving good and you should all go watch it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s not very Cold War (unless you count literally the last thirty seconds of the movie) but JoJo Rabbit is really loving good and you should all go watch it.

I would and I was planning to but they did that thing where they show the whole story and top funny moments in the trailer (at least in the trailer's cut over here) so I've basically already seen it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

The carrot was that once he was the sole power in the cartel, he'd act as a sort of double agent, allowing the American authorities to intercept enough drug shipments to double the street price of cocaine, and both sides would come out looking good. The American president because the street prices were up and they had all kinds of drug arrests to show to the cameras, and the cartel because it was still making huge amounts of money.

gently caress, so kinda what ended up happening then

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Carth Dookie posted:

Here you go dude:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/manufacturer/mikoyan/model-group/mig-21

$75k for a single seater, $249k for a twin. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Just be aware, they will need to be re-certified more than likely.

You will need to keep a spare engine around.

And they drink JetA like a whore (about a 1lb per hour per pound of thrust, so figure about 9000 lbs of fuel per hour WITHOUT the can on. With the can on? more than double that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dance of the Vampires loving owned and gave me goosebumps.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Personally I liked Chieftains for cold war gone hot. Warning: ending is very British

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I really wonder how the KC-46A actually beat the KC-45 a little bit more every day:

quote:

The US Air Force has reportedly approved a retrofit to prevent cargo locks on an aerial refueling tanker from coming undone midflight. Will Roper, the Air Force’s top acquisition official, told Defense News he’s confident the KC-46A Pegasus aerial refueling tanker’s malfunctioning cargo locks will be fixed within months. In September, after a flight where cargo locks on the bottom of the aircraft’s floor became unlocked midflight, the tanker was restricted from carrying either cargo or people in the back of the aircraft. So far Boeing has paid more than $3.5 billion of its own money to fund corrections to ongoing technical issues, of which the cargo issue is the fourth. The company has also paid to address the tanker’s remote vision system, which provides imagery that in certain lighting conditions looks warped or misleading; instances of the boom scraping against the airframe of the receiver aircraft; and a requirement to redesign the boom to accommodate the A-10 plane

I mean I know the answer is bribery but god drat

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 14, 2019

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You'd think they'd have figured out most of this stuff by now. I mean, this isn't even the first 767-based tanker program!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hauldren Collider posted:

I think it would be difficult to write a book involving the Soviet Union where the bad guys are not extremely obvious

Okay, boomer

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mazz posted:

I really wonder how the KC-46A actually beat the KC-45 a little bit more every day

KC-46A: Not an okay boomer

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm watching a load of 90s crap at the minute, and it is amazing just how many "US Military Man Seeks To Instigate War Or Perpetrate Domestic Terrorism" and the top 3 reasons seem to be:

- Not Enough Wars To Fight
- Old Soldiers Now Not Respected And Left On Scrapheap
- Young Soldiers/Politicians Are Too Soft/Dangerously Peacenik

The 2nd reason is the strangest because now in real life it's more like "All Soldiers Are Heroes (but throw them on the scrapheap all the same)"

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 14, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just imagine what would happen if The Rock was released today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mazz posted:

I really wonder how the KC-46A actually beat the KC-45 a little bit more every day:

It actually didn't, Boeing had to throw a tantrum to be declared the winner.