Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I like how I laid out my criticism of a show while still giving it credit for other characters and it's summed up as bitching. also dismissing it all for a monolith of some untouchable "a legacy and mystery" is quite boring and vague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Binary Logic posted:

Her previous persona was The Comedienne: she's expected to tell jokes.

Instead we got Bill Hicks. Woof

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zmej posted:

I like how I laid out my criticism of a show while still giving it credit for other characters and it's summed up as bitching. also dismissing it all for a monolith of some untouchable "a legacy and mystery" is quite boring and vague

I like it too that's why I did it! You're welcome

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

Her previous persona was The Comedienne: she's expected to tell jokes.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Instead we got Bill Hicks. Woof

Which was also the deal with the actual Comedian, a jaded nihilist creep whose assassination was accompanied by Rorschach doing "Doctor, I am Pagliacci"

Basically all that stuff amounts to thus far is that she's become her dad, down to boning a subordinate 40 years younger than her

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'll have a large fry with that, also

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Sir, this is a Taco Bell.

You're talking about the Watchmen show in the thread for talking about the Watchmen show, chill out.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Does the general public know rorshachs dead?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Does the general public know rorshachs dead?

No, only that he disappeared on a mission he didn't think he would return from. He's probably presumed dead.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

:psyboom:

I'm sure my inkling about Cal is wrong, but dang that's cool.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Weedle posted:

As a native Tulsan I can say that Lube Guy is an extremely believable local character.
HBO make a superhero Biker Fox

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hilario Baldness posted:

Note well that Lady Trieu is a reference to a historical warrior from Vietnam that fought Chinese imperialism.

I sort of think she wants to either free Vietnam or reverse history so it never becomes a state. The trauma that is "remembered" by the girl and Trieu talking about keeping the humidity at levels like that of Vietnam. I don't think her story is about taking over the world or something that big, I think it's all going to trace back to Vietnam.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think a big part of this is some people trying to remove trauma that has shaped theirs or their loved ones lives.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

This song is now in my rotation btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wSXTN2EfRo

So drat good.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I had a moment of getting my wires crossed and when Triuxe went to the farm house with the baby and said that if they didn't adopt it she would find a good home for it, I suddenly thought "yes right like in a lab... Oh is this how Homelander was created" but then realized those are two different shows I was crossing over

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

KoRMaK posted:

I had a moment of getting my wires crossed and when Triuxe went to the farm house with the baby and said that if they didn't adopt it she would find a good home for it, I suddenly thought "yes right like in a lab... Oh is this how Homelander was created" but then realized those are two different shows I was crossing over

Compound V was created by Manhattan in order to try and reconnect with humanity by bringing them closer to his level.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anyone have a gif of Irons casually tossing bad babies over the side of a boat?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nail Rat posted:

Really I don't care what the deal is with Veidt, it's kind of dumb that we still don't know halfway through the show. A story is more interesting and enduring than a mystery.
I still think his story is this show's Black Freighter; It's an allegory that doesn't actually connect to the main plot at all. The mystery is "what's his predicament" but the story is "what is he going through in his predicament." The entertainment is in the story and the mystery at levels set by the viewer. Just adjust your own levels to enjoy the story, not the mystery.

Also if you think 4 out of 9 episodes is "too long" to hold a mystery, be glad you're not watching Mr. Robot. There's been a mystery in that show for 3 years now and I loving hate it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lindelof explicitly said Veidts storyline will crash into the main story at some point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Boats have been known to crash!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lindelof explicitly said Veidts storyline will crash into the main story at some point
Between this and Sam Esmail having to explicitly state that a character died in his interviews, I'm kinda sick of show creators spoiling/explaining their own in-progress shows.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Those structures weren't meant to be on the same spot. Not much time has passed because Trieu's daughter is still an adolescent.

Was actually asking to try to validate whether a new Bian/Trieu clone was created between the 2 events, because (like you say) Bian looks the same.

But looks like everyone is saying the "pop in" of 2019 structures was just a transition to a different part of Oklahoma, guess I just missed that somehow!

Jedit posted:

No, only that he disappeared on a mission he didn't think he would return from. He's probably presumed dead.

Ooh this means there's a chance someone (maybe in the 7K) tries to pass themselves off as the real Rorschach.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 13, 2019

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it could be acting, but I'm pretty convinced jean smart has actually robbed a bank at some point in her life.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

Weedle posted:

As a native Tulsan I can say that Lube Guy is an extremely believable local character.

Lube this town, vote Paul Tay

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Not sure if it has already been mentioned but enjoyed how the intro was a slight allusion to Superman (The Clarks and their farm, mysterious object from the sky, the show's references to popular superheroes like Batman). Does the fade imply this event happened many years ago before the city was built? Might imply the Clarks' kid could as a grown up be a vigilante, possibly lube man?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No. Trieu started building the millennium clock after Veidt disappeared. He's been gone 7 years in the present of the show. She had already begun building it in the farm flashback so it's less than 7 years ago.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Jay-V posted:

Wow good catch on his name. Also, "Excalibur" is the name of Laurie's Dr. Manhattan dildo. So you have:

"Laurie's ex" -> "Dr. Manhattan" -> "Excalibur" -> "Ex-Cal Abar" -> Cal Abar is Laurie's Ex, Dr. Manhattan :tinfoil:

Sorry, this was a dumb joke post I made but now I can't stop thinking about it. Cal is the one who insists Dr. M can't look like a human. Also, Cal could have rescued Angela by annihilating all trace of the 2nd 7K dude during White Night (thus why everyone thinks she had just one attacker).

I may have brainworms

e: AND Laurie is attracted to him :colbert:

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 13, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

As I watched the episode in real-time with a buddy, it was pretty awesome when he uttered "...the gently caress?!" at seeing Lube Man, moments before Sister Night said the same thing.

Then last night I rewatched it with my wife who hadn't seen the episode yet... and she did it too. :neckbeard:

It's pretty remarkable Lindelhof and crew succeeded in creating such an instant, universal response to that moment.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

DaveKap posted:

Between this and Sam Esmail having to explicitly state that a character died in his interviews, I'm kinda sick of show creators spoiling/explaining their own in-progress shows.

Yeah sorry I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Trieu makes a big deal about her clock being safe from any kind of disaster, which makes me think that she's going to do some kind of hard reboot of the world, either in the past or presant. Create a centerpiece of a new civilization, collect a bunch of people you want to lead it/clone yourself then BOOM CRTL-ALT-DEL the world and you can have your perfect society, well, perfect for you.

Though I think tech that enables the clock to survive changing time may not be reasonable for what we've seen of this world though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mulloy posted:

Compound V was created by Manhattan in order to try and reconnect with humanity by bringing them closer to his level.

twistedmentat posted:

Trieu makes a big deal about her clock being safe from any kind of disaster, which makes me think that she's going to do some kind of hard reboot of the world, either in the past or presant. Create a centerpiece of a new civilization, collect a bunch of people you want to lead it/clone yourself then BOOM CRTL-ALT-DEL the world and you can have your perfect society, well, perfect for you.

Though I think tech that enables the clock to survive changing time may not be reasonable for what we've seen of this world though.
Hell yes this thread is good now

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Jay-V posted:

Sorry, this was a dumb joke post I made but now I can't stop thinking about it. Cal is the one who insists Dr. M can't look like a human. Also, Cal could have rescued Angela by annihilating all trace of the 2nd 7K dude during White Night (thus why everyone thinks she had just one attacker).

I may have brainworms

e: AND Laurie is attracted to him :colbert:

Wasnt the 2nd gunman Judd?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Collateral posted:

Wasnt the 2nd gunman Judd?

We dunno

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Let the mystery be [it's easier for me that way]

The writing and directing have been good but the acting and music have been outstanding.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The show has so much diversity that frankly I'd consider it hugely disappointing if the sole character with Vietnamese ethnicity existed purely to be an inscrutable Other who acted as a mouthpiece for some Vietnam ethnostate that transcended time and space.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sister Night's Vietnamese!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

The scene with Veidt pulling babies from cray pots out of the water was one of the most delightfully bonkers things I've ever seen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tace Vim posted:

The scene with Veidt pulling babies from cray pots out of the water was one of the most delightfully bonkers things I've ever seen.

It's the best scene in the whole show, so far.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah sorry I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it.
Oh no it's fine, no ill will towards you. If anything, appreciation. I'd rather not go around speculating wrongly about things that were already explained by the creator.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tace Vim posted:

It felt like something out of a David Lynch movie.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Anyone have a gif of Irons casually tossing bad babies over the side of a boat?

Looking for one with a thicker skin.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Night fishing on Lake Placenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I laughed way too hard at the "Ligma balls" comic panel someone posted a few pages ago.