Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My Socks = Best Socks

Please excuse my white, white legs.

(I have many other pairs of cockatiel socks. Many.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Tendai posted:

All birds = poop. All of them. There is not one species of bird that does not lay down gnarly poops, in either composition, amount, or frequency. You could write an article just titled Your Life Is Now Poop: Tips & Tricks For New Bird Owners".

Truth.

Nice socks, Cap.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Suntan Boy posted:

Truth.

Nice socks, Cap.

:derptiel: :respek: :downs:

MissAndy
Feb 24, 2011

Oh my goodness. :3:

In Chicken news, today my husband was cleaning his food bowl, and as generally happens he launches himself out of the cage. Poor guy still hasn't quite learned that he cannot fly very well anymore. But he can get some air, as he accidentally landed smack on me!

He spent the next 5 minutes in confusion, not sure if he should attack, flee, or enjoy himself. I had mercy and walked him close enough to his cage for him to hop back off, and now he refuses to acknowledge me in any way. I didn't put you there, bird! He did agree to eat some millet I was holding, though. Instead of picking off the seeds one by one, he crams as much into his face as possible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Progress is progress!

:3:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

posting this again.

the vid was blurry at the end so had no clue what the pied blue was actually doing

after 5 times i finally got it was walking way on its back with the wings. it was caught between the two serious mindsets of "oh man i love getting water all on my belly" and "i need to flip the gently caress over!"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I was watching football last night and had Serra out to keep me company. One of her favorite toys is just a little length of bright green paracord string.

She walked over to the edge of my recliner and tossed it off. Then she started posturing and hissing at her favorite toy that had just been deposited on the ground.

Birds are weird.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Obviously a ghost got into that string and she has to scare it out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/1194423971170545665

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

Obviously a ghost got into that string and she has to scare it out

She is good at scaring anyone in ghost mode.

Also, for every "good" picture like that I get of her, there are probably twenty of her looking like a blurry Predator.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Captain Log posted:

I was watching football last night and had Serra out to keep me company. One of her favorite toys is just a little length of bright green paracord string.

She walked over to the edge of my recliner and tossed it off. Then she started posturing and hissing at her favorite toy that had just been deposited on the ground.

Birds are weird.

Sometimes your green stringy best friend suddenly becomes a snake

Sometimes a delicious spray of millet suddenly becomes a snake

It's hard being a cockatiel sometimes

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I will forever be impressed at how loving beautiful Serra is, look at those wings!!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hhhhhuehuehue

https://i.imgur.com/fPIfJWS.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/BRWV0jM.mp4

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/UT9CNAB.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/9T5S4u5.gifv

Don't look at her, she's BIG!

Niamh is home and adjusting and suspicious of everything. She enjoys making us hold her water cup and getting scritches on her stupid Pikachu cheeks while we watch movies. She's entirely disinterested in chop and had to be repeatedly shown where food and water were, but she finally seems to be getting a grasp on it! Having slightly different food dishes really hosed up her birdy brain.

The shop was free feeding her seeds and pellets and wasn't doing a chop mix at all. With a cockatiel, should we eventually swap her diet entirely over to pellets and chop? She's lost a couple grams (102g to 99g) since she came home Sunday but I think the first couple days were rough for her. We're keeping an eye on her. Yesterday she seemed to remember that she enjoys food and just gorged herself, so I imagine this is a temporary weight loss.

Niamh is a tiny moron. I love her very much but the more I'm around her, the more I think a conure was the right call for me. When yall said "it's a mystery how cockatiels survive in the wild" I thought it was a funny joke but honestly HOW DO THEY SURVIVE IN THE WILD? :psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cockatiels will eat about 10-20g of food a day (depending on nutritional content and such), and occasionally take massive shits that can weigh several grams. (Mine always make a huge dump in the morning, and occasionally also when I get home from work if they've been sleeping. Of course there's also multiple smaller droppings during the day.)
Their weight can vary quite a lot during the span of a day.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I sprained my middle finger, I guess, though I can't really figure out what I did. It's not very serious, so I just have it taped up.

Sera is absolutely terrified of my taped hand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I once sprained my pinky finger, and it's still crooked. Bandaged hands freak out all my birds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Faerie Fortune posted:

I will forever be impressed at how loving beautiful Serra is, look at those wings!!

There are so many time when I’ll just stare at the patterns on her feathers like a stoned nineteen year old. The wild thing is how much more defined her patterns are getting with age.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My grey turned off the water going to the toilet. Not the thing you want to find out in the middle of a 5 alarm poo.

edit: And I know why he did it. He turned the knob to turn it into a platform to climb up so he could reach the top of the toilet and then the bathroom sink.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton and Galbedir love bandaids and bandages. Good for nibbling. They will steal unused bandaids to chew them up.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

My grey turned off the water going to the toilet. Not the thing you want to find out in the middle of a 5 alarm poo.

edit: And I know why he did it. He turned the knob to turn it into a platform to climb up so he could reach the top of the toilet and then the bathroom sink.

this is amazing

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton and Galbedir love bandaids and bandages. Good for nibbling. They will steal unused bandaids to chew them up.

I have sporadic outbursts of a skin problem on my hands that gets quickly cleared up with a cream.

While I'm waiting for that to happen, it is Band Aid time.

Right now, my left hand has a big, black bandaid on it.

Serra literally jumped off my shoulder, semi-flutter plummeted to the ground, and scurried off towards my Dad.

P. S. Life is too short to wear plain band aids. All of mine are bright neon colors. Well, except for the black one. :derptiel:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

There’s a project in Sydney that tags and tracks Cockatoos around the city. I follow them on FB and it’s always a treat to see the short stories they post about the birds they’re tracking.

https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/science/the-wingtags-project/

I wonder if they’ll ever find Gaston and be able to charge him with the kidnapping of Dreggon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

I have sporadic outbursts of a skin problem on my hands that gets quickly cleared up with a cream.

While I'm waiting for that to happen, it is Band Aid time.

Right now, my left hand has a big, black bandaid on it.

Serra literally jumped off my shoulder, semi-flutter plummeted to the ground, and scurried off towards my Dad.

P. S. Life is too short to wear plain band aids. All of mine are bright neon colors. Well, except for the black one. :derptiel:

Have you tried the newer oval-shaped semi-transparent band-aids? They might confuse your birds for regular skin and be left alone. They're also just plain great.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Spare-Ohs posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UT9CNAB.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/9T5S4u5.gifv

Don't look at her, she's BIG!

Niamh is home and adjusting and suspicious of everything. She enjoys making us hold her water cup and getting scritches on her stupid Pikachu cheeks while we watch movies. She's entirely disinterested in chop and had to be repeatedly shown where food and water were, but she finally seems to be getting a grasp on it! Having slightly different food dishes really hosed up her birdy brain.

The shop was free feeding her seeds and pellets and wasn't doing a chop mix at all. With a cockatiel, should we eventually swap her diet entirely over to pellets and chop? She's lost a couple grams (102g to 99g) since she came home Sunday but I think the first couple days were rough for her. We're keeping an eye on her. Yesterday she seemed to remember that she enjoys food and just gorged herself, so I imagine this is a temporary weight loss.

Niamh is a tiny moron. I love her very much but the more I'm around her, the more I think a conure was the right call for me. When yall said "it's a mystery how cockatiels survive in the wild" I thought it was a funny joke but honestly HOW DO THEY SURVIVE IN THE WILD? :psyduck:

As mentioned, a variance of a few grams is nothing, attributable to a satisfying poop down your shirt. The big tell for bird weight is the keel bone; particularly protruding means too skinny, and hard to locate means fat bird. 100-ish grams is perfectly fine for a tiel, weight-wise.

Pellets are, in general, more nutritionally complete than seed mixes. That said, you don't need to switch your bird over to it exclusively for her to have a long, happy, healthy life. A good seed mix, chop, and regular sprinklings of a multivitamin like Avia works just as well. Most people don't even bother with the multivitamin, and their birds do just fine. Interest in the chop usually goes up markedly if they see you eat it, first. Maybe start with a nice apple walnut salad, to make life easier on you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried the newer oval-shaped semi-transparent band-aids? They might confuse your birds for regular skin and be left alone. They're also just plain great.

You would think so, right?

Plain bandaids, clear band aids, any type is enough to scare off Serra.

She got used to the new one once I scooped her up and gave her mandatory scritches. She just has that cockatiel quality of thinking anything can be a snake at anytime, for any reason.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

She just has that cockatiel quality of thinking anything can be a snake at anytime, for any reason.

not just cockatiels, I grew up in the middle of the desert in Australia and thinking that everything might be a snake is just good thinkin'

There was a type of snake native to where I grew up called the death adder, and it hides in piles of leaves. Being a kid in the outback is low key terrifying (also fun).

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I've more than once frozen or leapt away from a hose or pipe or stick pretending to be a sneaky snake, and also been saved from stepping on a real sneaky snake by the same split second reaction. Snake detection skills are important in the outback or the bush, especially so if you're a delicious small bird.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
One time I did mistake a green tree snake on the ground for an interesting sprout and walked over to it to within striking distance while remarking on what an interesting sprout it was. Not a terrible mistake for a human to make (the snake gave a little :stonk: and wiggled away, and if it had bitten me it would have been more annoying than deadly), but a cockatiel would not be so lucky. A bird that mistakes millet for snakes will probably live longer than a bird who mistakes snakes for millet.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
But open mouths of humans are worth investigating for potential food or nesting

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tsaedje posted:

But open mouths of humans are worth investigating for potential food or nesting

Humans are basically just big soft trees that move around sometimes, and it's an observable fact that holes in trees contain nests and food.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

Suntan Boy posted:

As mentioned, a variance of a few grams is nothing, attributable to a satisfying poop down your shirt. The big tell for bird weight is the keel bone; particularly protruding means too skinny, and hard to locate means fat bird. 100-ish grams is perfectly fine for a tiel, weight-wise.

Pellets are, in general, more nutritionally complete than seed mixes. That said, you don't need to switch your bird over to it exclusively for her to have a long, happy, healthy life. A good seed mix, chop, and regular sprinklings of a multivitamin like Avia works just as well. Most people don't even bother with the multivitamin, and their birds do just fine. Interest in the chop usually goes up markedly if they see you eat it, first. Maybe start with a nice apple walnut salad, to make life easier on you.

Thanks so much for the help and advice, everyone! My housemate and I are incredibly grateful for all your guidance. I'll stop subjecting poor Niamh to The Dreaded Scale and teach her to find the keel bone.

We toweled her to weigh her last night and then put her down on the floor to escape on her own. Her mystified expression was adorable. :3:

ETA: nibbling spinach and then offering to share an un-nibbled side of the leaf with her was a success, though she wasn't a fan. Time to try new stuff!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Spare-Ohs posted:

Thanks so much for the help and advice, everyone! My housemate and I are incredibly grateful for all your guidance. I'll stop subjecting poor Niamh to The Dreaded Scale and teach her to find the keel bone.

We toweled her to weigh her last night and then put her down on the floor to escape on her own. Her mystified expression was adorable. :3:

ETA: nibbling spinach and then offering to share an un-nibbled side of the leaf with her was a success, though she wasn't a fan. Time to try new stuff!
BTW, I was told by my vet to check using this visualization as guidance. If the keel is sharp, and the breast is sunken on either side, bird is underweight. If the keel is sunken and the bird has bosoms or a cameltoe, bird is probably overweight. If bird is in between being bosomly blessed and sunken chest, then its just right lol

lol with my two pigs with wings I just play "Keep away" with food I want them to try as I eat it.

With the appropriate "MMMMMMMMMMMmmmm shame birdies can't eat this, its so good...oh you can't have this! It's not for you!!" of course :)

Then after a little time, I let them succeed in the inevitable "thievery" of said food. Eventually, it becomes..."oh fine I GUESS you can share this but don't tell your sister/brother" So, of course, the OTHER one sees the other eating something and oh noes!! They can't be allowed to have something that they don't have....that's simply not done! And boom, both are eating the new food cos they were told not to eat it lol

Unless it looks like it MIGHT be a carrot or the dreaded sweet potato of some sort. Then we have to scream at it in between bites.

Makes me laugh every time lol

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 14, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

At some point I have to try and catch Ozzy singing while he preens on video. It inevitably ends up with loud singing muffled by his own butt, but he stops immediately if he sees you watching.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I lived in Australia, I wouldn't leave the house without knee high steel toed boots and snake shooing stick.

The one time I ran into a snake was in my grandparents garage in Tennessee when I lived with them.

My twenty-two pound clawless long haired cat corned a rattlesnake in the garage. I came out without knowing about this and nearly walked on top of them. It was coiled up and kept striking at Sparkle the Ridiculous Cat, who would then bop it on the head. This repeated ad infinitum. I got a shotgun, but quickly realized I couldn't shoot the garage floor with shot and expect to come out unscathed. I called a neighbor who went in and dispatched (sorry everyone, had to be done. There isn't animal control for poor people in the south.) the snake with a hoe. It came out to almost three feet long. It became a belt.

I have never had such an, "OH GOD!" moment and walking over to see what the cat was playing with and coming upon a giant rattlesnake.

The funniest thing was the neighbor made me stand outside of the garage with the shotgun and said, "If the snake comes out before me, shoot it." The noises that came from the inside of that garage sounded like they came from a Hee Haw sketch. "OH LORDY! Oh my...WHAT! GET BACK! OH LORDY! GET ON GO ON NOW GET BACK NOW!" :clank clank clank:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Was... was sparkles okay?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I have a question for bird knowers, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes...

I don't own any birds but there are some scrub jays that frequent my back yard enough that I've grown fond of them. One of them was attacked by something recently and now its left leg seems useless (it doesn't look obviously broken to me, a bird moron, but it isn't putting weight on it) and its left eye is permanently shut. It can still fly and feed itself, it returns to eat and drink every day. Aside from the aforementioned injuries it acts normal enough.

I asked the local rehab center if there was anything I could do and they said to bring it in if I can catch it. So far I've failed and now I'm wondering if I should try harder or just leave it alone. I don't want to make its life more stressful just because I've developed an attachment to it, but I also want to do everything I can. It doesn't seem to be getting worse and I'm not sure what if anything could be done for its injuries if I did catch it.

Please help me figure out what to do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think that if the bird is obviously still surviving on its own, and doesn't appear to be in pain or dying of infection, just let it be.

Advice to capture an injured bird and take it to a shelter is predicated on the assumption that the bird is too hurt to fly away. It's sad that wild animals have to suffer chronic injuries and keep on going, but that's nature, and it sounds like that little bird is taking care of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I think I have told the story here before of back when I had a budgie who lived in a cage out on the deck next to some large trees. On more than one occasion, a python wrapped itself around the cage, trying to get in to eat that sweet budgie meat. I think I've still got photos somewhere.