Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1193024792351379456

Gonna be nuts when Abbott has the dude murdered anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we're gonna run out of lethal injection drugs and just sit them under pecan trees in an ice storm

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I lived in Bastrop County most of my life and Rodney Reed has been a perpetual background noise, so this rush of national attention is real weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if you want the Zodiac Killer on your side in a murder investigation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

i say swears online posted:

what do you not like about the current latina woman incumbent

Oops, I got that district mixed up with the 21st that Wendy Davis is running for.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 11, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rebekahallen/status/1194278720988680193

I have no idea if the HISD board was mismanaging poo poo or sucked or whatever (I do know the state's pretext is bullshit) but regardless: this is going to be a complete disaster

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I have no idea if the HISD board was mismanaging poo poo or sucked or whatever (I do know the state's pretext is bullshit) but regardless: this is going to be a complete disaster

Greg Abbott to announce he is sending all HISD students to a state-owned field outside IAH

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/1194284169632927748

Since individuals can only be mutilated as children up to the age of 18, we rate this claim mostly false.

quote:

Castilla said state lawmakers "left children able to be sterilized and mutilated at any point in their life" by failing to adopt a law prohibiting minors from undergoing medical or surgical gender transitions.

Castilla is right that there is no law regulating transition-related treatment separately from other medically-necessary care and the same age regulations apply — minors need parental consent.

Widely accepted guidelines for transition care emphasize gender-affirming care and therapy as primary tools for children. More intensive options, like surgery or hormone treatment, are typically reserved for older adolescents (with parental consent) and adults.

We rate this claim Mostly False.

I loving hate fact checkeres

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
If theres one thing the state government is capable of, its fixing the social and economic issues of a high school in the fifth ward of houston !

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I am going to assume that Abbott found out HISD was teaching evolution and sex ed.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I'm happy to announce that Wheatly High School will now be IDEA Wheatley, partnered with KIPP. the school will have half the enrollment of before and we are going to spread all the bad students throughout the rest of the schools to meet metrics. Numbers are infallible and will show that this area is performing better in the aggregate. Thank you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I am going to assume that Abbott found out HISD was teaching evolution and sex ed.

If I had to guess at a state pol with sinister motives behind this, I'd point at Dan

https://twitter.com/DCPolitics2016/status/1194320020274393090

Oh boy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 12, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dan patrick is a child rapist

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The HISD takeover was odd timing. The Board was was an utter shitshow that routinely violated the Open Meetings Act to engage in secret meetings to snipe at their rivals on the board while also being blatant criminals directing contracts to their friends (my Trustee, Diana Davila did this)

They almost came to blows on multiple occasions and it is amazing that HISD was able to accomplish anything with their board in utter disarray.

However, last week, every incumbent up for re-election lost, it was a de facto new board chosen by the voters (some of the old ones stayed on because their seats weren't up). The state announced the takeover after this happened.

I would feel differently if I thought the state GOP was even capable of acting in remotely good faith, but they aren't, and used a flimsy pretext to depose an elected school board so they can destroy the district from the inside to use as their evidence of the failure of public schools.

Anyway. If you're from Houston, please run for school board and dont be corrupt. Thanks.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

The HISD takeover was odd timing. The Board was was an utter shitshow that routinely violated the Open Meetings Act to engage in secret meetings to snipe at their rivals on the board while also being blatant criminals directing contracts to their friends (my Trustee, Diana Davila did this)

They almost came to blows on multiple occasions and it is amazing that HISD was able to accomplish anything with their board in utter disarray.

However, last week, every incumbent up for re-election lost, it was a de facto new board chosen by the voters (some of the old ones stayed on because their seats weren't up). The state announced the takeover after this happened.

I would feel differently if I thought the state GOP was even capable of acting in remotely good faith, but they aren't, and used a flimsy pretext to depose an elected school board so they can destroy the district from the inside to use as their evidence of the failure of public schools.

Anyway. If you're from Houston, please run for school board and dont be corrupt. Thanks.

School boards always attract the loving worst of the worst because of their taxing authority and power to dole out projects to contractors (read: relatives) they favor. The boards in the Valley are basically run by one family and the nepotism is some next-level poo poo.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

IT BURNS posted:

School boards always attract the loving worst of the worst because of their taxing authority and power to dole out projects to contractors (read: relatives) they favor. The boards in the Valley are basically run by one family and the nepotism is some next-level poo poo.

Wait so in Texas school boards have the power to raise revenues for schools through taxation?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait so in Texas school boards have the power to raise revenues for schools through taxation?

Texas schools are funded by property taxes, and the district itself is the taxing authority. They are always the largest portion of the property tax bill. It is helpful in some cases (avoids Dan Patrick being in charge of doling out school funds to his favorite evangelical charters) but harmful in a lot of others (small boards without a lot of oversight lend themselves to corruption)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

Texas schools are funded by property taxes, and the district itself is the taxing authority. They are always the largest portion of the property tax bill. It is helpful in some cases (avoids Dan Patrick being in charge of doling out school funds to his favorite evangelical charters) but harmful in a lot of others (small boards without a lot of oversight lend themselves to corruption)

You know, I'll take some small time local corruption over whatever intense and vile rot the state is about to inject into any school system they seize.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Sab0921 posted:

The bolded portion is the part that’s novel. I can’t decide if that’s awesome or horrible.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

The bolded portion is the part that’s novel. I can’t decide if that’s awesome or horrible.

It's usually better because in our current political climate, the school systems can generally avoid the WASTE AND FRAUD FIRE ALL THE ADMINS method of operating government favored by state leaders because of how close the actual underlying operating costs to the elected board.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
My school district keeps jacking the price up ~10% a year but now I get hella youtube ads from them. They're smart.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Marxalot posted:

My school district keeps jacking the price up ~10% a year but now I get hella youtube ads from them. They're smart.

The state government has been starving them of funding for a decade necessitating the 10% year over year increase in property taxes.

Everything can always be traced back to the shitheads in charge in Austin.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

The state government has been starving them of funding for a decade necessitating the 10% year over year increase in property taxes.

Everything can always be traced back to the shitheads in charge in Austin.

I think the recent property tax and school finance bills will ultimately do more harm than good to homeowners (GET OFF MY LAWN). Most districts way overappraised this past year in anticipation of major changes in the funding formulas, so they'll likely be 15-20% higher in coming years now that most people are essentially locked into a higher appraised value. Housing affordability has reached an unsustainable level for many.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
yeah the +30% years were great. +10% is relatively nice

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Marxalot posted:

yeah the +30% years were great. +10% is relatively nice

So how is life in the Heights/Montrose?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

The Cantu's are a cartel and it's amazing how much of their money infests the RGV as a whole even so far as to try and worm their way into the UT School system.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sab0921 posted:

So how is life in the Heights/Montrose?

Baytown actually. Haven't had anyone try to rob me in a few years so I guess things are nice

e: there's an heb now!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah but there is also Baytown Brown and ain't nobody should have to suffer that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6xMglSMdk

Barbara Jordan's 1974 statement at the Watergate hearings was a career maker, and as we begin what is sure to be a complete debacle, it's worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/time/status/1194627215960481792?s=21

:jerkbag:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/replouiegohmert/status/1194638706130505730

The chair recognizes the Gentle-egg from Tyler

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Dameius posted:

Yeah but there is also Baytown Brown and ain't nobody should have to suffer that.

Ngl, never heard of that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Ngl, never heard of that.

Slang for either or both poo poo water and weed.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The water beats the hell out of the "am I drinking unfiltered water out of the trinity river?" Richardson system I dealt with for a few years.

Can't speak for the weed, I live in an extremely normal country that requires me to piss in a cup regularly, or make <$12/hr.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1194985511141724161?s=21

Guess we know why he retired

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I thought it was because he wanted to take a run at SD 19. Poncho being a cokehead explains a lot.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
drat I thought canales would get busted first. Amazing that he would put it all in an envelope with his name on it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Can't speak for the weed, I live in an extremely normal country that requires me to piss in a cup regularly, or make <$12/hr.

The drug testing donut hole will never stop being sadly hilarious to me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah I'm detoxing at the moment to have a shot at okay jobs because I'm not having much luck with very good jobs that pay double and don't test

Tech interviewers have brought up their weed habit when speaking to me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
For job interviews just use Quick Fix. They don’t watch you pee at that level of test and it’s super easy if you pay attention to the temperature.

More difficult if it’s a random one though.