Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mutata posted:

This poo poo is so tedious. Comparing triangle count? Really?

It'll be interesting to see what the day 1 patch does.

Day 1 patch?? That sounds crazier than hoping they'd put all the pokemon in this game by launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

there's gonna be a day one patch?

There is always a day 1 patch. There's little reason not to prep an update for day 1, particularly when there's so much run up time to press cartridges and shrink wrap packages and get everything distributed. If I had to guess, I'd say the leakers are playing month-old code at least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

they didn't really have the luxury of that option with stuff like the anime and merchandise already being planned around early November 2019

yeah i don't think people realize that gamefreak doesn't have the luxury of taking their own pace. other franchises published by nintendo might only be the games. pokemon is a media juggernaut.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mutata posted:

There is always a day 1 patch. There's little reason not to prep an update for day 1, particularly when there's so much run up time to press cartridges and shrink wrap packages and get everything distributed. If I had to guess, I'd say the leakers are playing month-old code easily.

i don't recall any of the 3ds pokemon games having a day one patch

like, i hope you're right but i'm not as confident as you are here

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Brother Entropy posted:

the idea that they'd make let's go for the switch and then go back to the 3ds makes no sense

It did at the time. I think that kind of thinking is what put AlphaDream into bankruptcy.

But yeah the whole thing seems like its a severe growing pain on Game Freak's front. The games have always been a bit janky, but they were the big fish in a relatively small pond of Nintendo handhelds since its inception. Moving up to something like the Switch so quickly is bound to cause a few issues.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah, see those kinds of bugs look like they could be caused by the 'soft DRM' I was talking about. Here's the explaination of the Playstation's DRM in regards to Spyro: Year of the Dragon (correction from earlier, I thought it was Original Spyro) if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYSeXLr5sY

If it is indeed that, I'll be awaiting eagerly the analysis on this DRM because it sounds like the kind of underhanded trickery I like.
Exactly like in Spyro 3

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't recall any of the 3ds pokemon games having a day one patch

like, i hope you're right but i'm not as confident as you are here

That's fair enough. I'll rephrase: I would be shocked if there wasn't a day 1 update. Every title I've ever worked on had one as a planned part of the project. Certain fixes would even get earmarked for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah, see those kinds of bugs look like they could be caused by the 'soft DRM' I was talking about. Here's the explaination of the Playstation's DRM in regards to Spyro: Year of the Dragon (correction from earlier, I thought it was Original Spyro) if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYSeXLr5sY

Makes me kinda wanna play it that way, then. Sounds like a cool-rear end secret hard mode to do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that raboot clip is seriously cracking me up

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mr. Whale posted:

It seems innocuous actually.

Accessibility options should never be locked.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

It's not a glitch, it's a warning to all would be protesters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i'm real glad that was the first context i saw the 'KOed while big' animation, really ramped up my confusion there

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

wow! These new games look worse than pokemon usually is, and thats impressive!

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Deviant posted:

Accessibility options should never be locked.

Didn't say it should be. It's just people are talking about it like it's ruined the game for them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Mr. Whale posted:

Didn't say it should be. It's just people are talking about it like it's ruined the game for them.

Well, if you need those options to hear the drat game, maybe it is?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brother Entropy posted:

there's gonna be a day one patch?

I heard it be stated in one place. I imagine to fix up some of the pop in issues.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Deviant posted:

it's just pixels, who cares?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Aw gently caress guys. They took out Ion Deluge.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Live Free posted:

it's just pixels, who cares?

games are for everyone, idiot

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I haven't really been following any of the Sword and Shield stuff because, for the past 20 years or so, I had implicitly trusted gamefreak to not gently caress up Pokemon. Preordered every main installment in the series blind, in part because I liked to be surprised by the new pokemon in each game. Was gonna do my preorder today but one of my friends sent me a list of changes and uh... are they seriously cutting the national dex down to 400 pokemon, cutting 100 moves, and removing GTS + most of the postgame?

I assume this has to be real but also it seems surreal to me that we're getting a pokemon game where it's completely impossible to have a Blastoise or Bulbasaur. Like they have to patch in more pokemon, right?

I've put at least 150 hours into every one of the main series games but this is making me wonder whether I shouldn't just play Pokemon Showdown and sit this one out...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gnumonic posted:

I haven't really been following any of the Sword and Shield stuff because, for the past 20 years or so, I had implicitly trusted gamefreak to not gently caress up Pokemon. Preordered every main installment in the series blind, in part because I liked to be surprised by the new pokemon in each game. Was gonna do my preorder today but one of my friends sent me a list of changes and uh... are they seriously cutting the national dex down to 400 pokemon, cutting 100 moves, and removing GTS + most of the postgame?

I assume this has to be real but also it seems surreal to me that we're getting a pokemon game where it's completely impossible to have a Blastoise or Bulbasaur. Like they have to patch in more pokemon, right?

I've put at least 150 hours into every one of the main series games but this is making me wonder whether I shouldn't just play Pokemon Showdown and sit this one out...

squirtle and bulbasaur are in but we've only found this out through datamining which strongly suggests they're only gonna show up at some point down the line through a giveaway or a special timed raid

also fwiw the vast vast majority of the moves removed were either redundant or unusuable trash

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Deviant posted:

games are for everyone, idiot

even without all the music and sound effects there's still a whole new region with 400 good boys to befriend, and besides you can always just control your volume on the tv or an external speaker. furthermore saying "games are for everyone" is outright classist because they are demonstrably not for everyone--they are for everyone priveleged enough to have 300 dollars of disposable income for the console, a reliable source of electricity, a television or monitor if they're playing docked, plus the cost of whatever games. and we can assume that most people playing switch also have reliable housing and were raised in an environment where the system didn't fail them and they actually learned to loving read. I won't even get into the ableism/disrespect for the mentally ill on display in your post but suffice to say you're really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Having only seen the reveal trailer and small glimpses of the game since, man, this game looks rough compared to that initial impression.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Live Free posted:

even without all the music and sound effects there's still a whole new region with 400 good boys to befriend, and besides you can always just control your volume on the tv or an external speaker. furthermore saying "games are for everyone" is outright classist because they are demonstrably not for everyone--they are for everyone priveleged enough to have 300 dollars of disposable income for the console, a reliable source of electricity, a television or monitor if they're playing docked, plus the cost of whatever games. and we can assume that most people playing switch also have reliable housing and were raised in an environment where the system didn't fail them and they actually learned to loving read. I won't even get into the ableism/disrespect for the mentally ill on display in your post but suffice to say you're really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Is it really this hard to admit that the audio controls being unlocked via an item you get from a random npc halfway through the game is a stupid decision?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Deviant posted:

The stuff that's locked is just individual sliders for music/sfx/pokemon sounds. I think it's a bit of a stretch to call those accessibility options. It's not exactly a game where there's sound queues or voice acting that will be drown out by music?

It's still lame to lock it behind an in-game unlock, but not really the same as say, locking subtitles or colour blind settings.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxyclean posted:

The stuff that's locked is just individual sliders for music/sfx/pokemon sounds. I think it's a bit of a stretch to call those accessibility options. It's not exactly a game where there's sound queues or voice acting that will be drown out by music?

Those are the definition of accessibility options lol.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Borsche69 posted:

Is it really this hard to admit that the audio controls being unlocked via an item you get from a random npc halfway through the game is a stupid decision?

my original point was "it's just pixels who cares"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Live Free posted:

So yes it is then.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Live Free posted:

WELL YOU ARE THE REAL ABELIST HERE

good christ you are an idiot.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Live Free posted:

This is a pretty weird post bruv.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Live Free posted:

:nallears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
you know, I'm pretty much positive the main reason music options are locked behind earbuds is because the ability to turn off music makes it easier to do LP videos, and nintendo has always been weird about people playing their games on the internet (and music is much easier to content ID)

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

WELL YOU ARE THE REAL ABELIST HERE

good christ you are an idiot.

i can't force you to care about "the poors" but maybe cool it with the slurs?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[I start oscillating between two idiotic points so quickly that soon you are unable to tell the difference between me and my afterimage. I begin to weave in more dumb posts like how the game is for literal babies, or how you sound like a bigot, until the rapid, unblockable frequency of my trolls destroy your psyche]

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Control Volume posted:

[I start oscillating between two idiotic points so quickly that soon you are unable to tell the difference between me and my afterimage. I begin to weave in more dumb posts like how the game is for literal babies, or how you sound like a bigot, until the rapid, unblockable frequency of my trolls destroy your psyche]

great username, all things considered

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Locking an option that's standard in most games behind an item given by a random NPC is on-brand for Game Freak.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Live Free posted:

i can't force you to care about "the poors" but maybe cool it with the slurs?

Even worse: A boring idiot.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

Even worse: A boring idiot.

Again huh? Are you visiting from 8chan or /pol/ or something?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those are the definition of accessibility options lol.

What disability/accessibility does it cover? The focus of accessibility options is to enable people with disabilities or limitations to properly play/enjoy games. Individual sfx/music sliders aren't really going to change much for pokemon game's accessibility that your system/tv volume slider doesn't already accomplish.

Like I'm not argue against it's locking being dumb, but calling it an accessibility option feels a bit disingenuous? There's plenty of games that lack it, and while that's not entirely an excuse, I've just not had the impression this is a particularly pressing accessibility concern for a game with no important audio mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hey guys excited to play the pokemans for the first time since Red, what starter are you guys picking????