Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never heard this bit of Burr making GBS threads on Anthony about his racism and straight up says Anthony argues like a child. I'd stopped listening by the time Obama totally broke Ant's brain.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqWM8rwpHMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOeOzYn7nE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_qdZJgOPI

Jim's dumb on race too in this bit but Anthony obviously blows him out of the water.

Ant comparing the Klan and the Black Israelites lmao

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never heard this bit of Burr making GBS threads on Anthony about his racism and straight up says Anthony argues like a child. I'd stopped listening by the time Obama totally broke Ant's brain.

There's one video where Anthony is railing against someone on some race issue and Jim and Opie are just quiet throughout, Opie eventually decides to just play Candy Crush until Anthony is done. Eventually they couldn't even poke fun at his racism for laughs anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vichan posted:

There's one video where Anthony is railing against someone on some race issue and Jim and Opie are just quiet throughout, Opie eventually decides to just play Candy Crush until Anthony is done. Eventually they couldn't even poke fun at his racism for laughs anymore.

Yeah I think that was in the documentary that guy put together. I wanna say it's when Jim said "I miss Patrice".

In the last part of the bit I linked Anthony said black and white people were made equal which is great because on one of Street Fight's Shocktober episodes (not sure if it was the Mancow one) they talk about how Anthony is a stupid guy who thinks he's smart and my mind immediately went to that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqWM8rwpHMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOeOzYn7nE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_qdZJgOPI

Jim's dumb on race too in this bit but Anthony obviously blows him out of the water.

Ant comparing the Klan and the Black Israelites lmao

I can't listen to these now but are you talking about the time Burr had enough and said something like "You're on your own when you say poo poo like that Anthony". It's still the most concise and perfect response to any of his old tirades. I had to stop listening around the Treyvon Martin case because of Ant.

Also it's extra lovely when you know Bill was dating Mia at the time

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it starts with Anthony making another racist joke and that's Burr's response. The only time I've heard any of the Trayvon stuff was the part of the argument between he and Jimmy included in the documentary (maybe that's when Jimmy said "I miss Patrice"?).

Pretty rich of him to call Trayvon a thug because a teenager smoked weed when Anthony smoked crack with his family on the regular.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 10, 2019

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it starts with Anthony making another racist joke and that's Burr's response. The only time I've heard any of the Trayvon stuff was the part of the argument between he and Jimmy included in the documentary (maybe that's when Jimmy said "I miss Patrice"?).

Pretty rich of him to call Trayvon a thug because a teenager smoked weed when Anthony smoked crack with his family on the regular.

The excuse from Anthony is that he "made something of himself", ie: found the right people to schmooze with, especially while on drugs and poo poo, and so he's beyond reproach for his behavior because he has something to show for it.

And now, getting fired for not behaving, and beating up <20 year olds, look what he has to show for it. He's pure and utter white trash, which he acknowledges exists but he won't remark on them because the sites he goes to don't have surveillance footage or wildly inciteful news articles about how they should be told to behave.

So, his issue is an individual issue, while every black person he sees misbehaving is a racial issue.

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 11, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought I read that we aren't supposed to like Burr now since his last special is about how cancel culture sucks.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 11, 2019

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

vincentpricesboner posted:

I thought I read that we aren't supposed to like Burr now since his last special is about how cancel culture sucks.

Bill could've been correct about calling Anthony out then, and also do something dumb now. They're two different moments in time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah I definitely get Anthony's "logic" but Trayvon was 16. Jimmy - who aint the best on race - seems taken aback that Anthony would call a kid a thug. I'm glad I'd stopped listening by that time it sounds like it was inexorable.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hiroshima, there-oshima...

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bill Burr has always been overrated, who cares about his new special.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I always got the impression that Bill Burr felt like he had an "in" or a "pass" since his gf/wife is black.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't. I know though that a gently caress ton of O&A people, particularly those who backed Anthony's racist poo poo were quick to jump on Bill for calling Ant out and say he was whipped by his black (then) girlfriend or some stupid poo poo.

Bill can be dumb and he often admits it, but I like his stuff.

Related; at least it seems Ant doesn't carry much a grudge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j39DGHBYw40

The comments, again, are quick to point out the fact that Bill is married to a black woman. Because that matters.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

What the gently caress happened to Ant's voice?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vichan posted:

What the gently caress happened to Ant's voice?

According to himself on TACS last week, he has the "throat hiv".

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

I always got the impression that Bill Burr felt like he had an "in" or a "pass" since his gf/wife is black.

Bill is such the antithesis to this that I'm curious how you came to this conclusion at all? I would say you're thinking of the wrong guy but I doubt there's many ginger comics with black wives

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Maybe he said like one thing about it once upon a time and I latched onto it. Maybe he was joking. I'm not really a Bill Burr expert. He didn't sound like that kind of guy in the first clip of the three-parter (I couldn't get through the other two :negative: ), so I could just be outright wrong/mistaken.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

So has every other big comedian at this point. Hell, even Obama has spoken out against cancel culture.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I couldn't remember when exactly I stopped listening to O&A, but I knew it was after Obama was president. The comments in this thread reminded me it was after Trayvon martin was killed. It was the same show everyday for weeks with Anthony ranting with the same talking points, and I'd have to fast forward through the file to get past it. There were a few shows in a row where I couldn't find a funny point to stop and fast forwarding and start listening again. That's when I realized I was just done. I never really missed it either.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Yeah that's when it all started to have a sharp drop in quality. Ant's brain broke at some point- the other two have always been consistently neurotic. Opie playing Candy Crush when one of Ant's rants started is actually funny, which goes to show how far Ant had fallen from consistently being the funniest guy in the room and being able to go toe-to-toe with top-notch comics. Bill Burr and Ron have been really good friends to Anthony in the sense that they were the only people to tell him exactly what he needed to hear; but obviously he could never heed the advice.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Ron vs white supremacist clip on the cumia show is so unbelievable awkward and also amazing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The Ron vs white supremacist clip on the cumia show is so unbelievable awkward and also amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfSr49VqJY&t=2708s

Anthony can not handle conflict at all.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Vichan posted:

Anthony can not handle conflict at all.

Sounds like the kind of person you want with a gun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Love how mad the guy gets when Ron points out the inarguable fact that poverty is the issue not race.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

Love how mad the guy gets when Ron points out the inarguable fact that poverty is the issue not race.

Ron has plenty of faults but you can't say he will tolerate racists getting away with their bullshit. He is great in this clip. Anthony reverts back to 7 year old anthony with the spaghetti on the dining room wall.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
RON: You used to be one of the funniest people in the world
ANTHONY: I'm still hilarious
RON: *won't make eye contact, dead silent*

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Or this part:

quote:

Colin: They're not putting black people in jail anymore.

Ron: Have you seen any jails? They're filled with black people!

Colin: ....Why?

I never really listened to Ron & Fez all that much but now I feel I should.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

RON: You used to be one of the funniest people in the world
ANTHONY: I'm still hilarious
RON: *won't make eye contact, dead silent*

I feel bad for Ron there. He's so close to just laying it out for Ant and bringing it all to a head: the grooming young girls, the alcoholism, the pathetic racism. And you can tell if he even approaches one of those things it'll just dovetail into the whole thing and simply destroy Ant who really comes across of not being able to deal with ANY of it.

That said, one of the greatest tragedies of this whole thing is that you can see how racism can destroy a genuinely funny guy. Ant has his issues, but he had some really funny moments. By all rights in an alternate reality him and Jimmy are doing a MST3K for the entire run of the Ropers and making fun of the theme. That's what we could have had, and Ant's problems just robbed us of that fun.

Edit: gently caress it, here's the Ropers bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO4XW0JbGdI&t=263s

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That said, one of the greatest tragedies of this whole thing is that you can see how racism can destroy a genuinely funny guy. Ant has his issues, but he had some really funny moments. By all rights in an alternate reality him and Jimmy are doing a MST3K for the entire run of the Ropers and making fun of the theme. That's what we could have had, and Ant's problems just robbed us of that fun.

Edit: gently caress it, here's the Ropers bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO4XW0JbGdI&t=263s

I'm with you. Anthony used to make me laugh so hard. I think that by the end of 2009 (gulp 10 years ago) I was done. Even most of that year I was only listening to the first hour + if they had a good guest. Like Jay Mohr or Louie or someone fun to bounce off. The racism was too much.

I started listening to Pete Dominick's morning show, a little less funny but he was great interviewer in that he would make colossal hilarious mistakes. Like the time he told Laura Dern mid interview he was sorry for her father's passing ( Bruce Dern is still alive). But he's cancelled now. Frank Conniff was great on Fugelsangs show but he got fired for calling Chris Christie fat too many times.

I dont even know where to go anymore for my daily dose and its bumming me out. Bonfire or Chapo just dont do it for me, they're both pale imitations of the real thing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Cum Town is my only go-to for comedy anymore. LoS and Bonfire and Real rear end are all hit-or-miss with a lot more missing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Saw a bunch of new posts, thought maybe Anthony died. Nope, just still racist.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Saw a bunch of new posts, thought maybe Anthony died. Nope, just still racist.

Nah, he's going to be busted for child molestation first.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Nah, he's going to be busted for child molestation first.

i think hes got those ducks in a row, he sticks strictly to grooming until the clock strikes midnight on the local age of consent birthday

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I've been listening to You Up with Nikki Glaser in the morning and it ranges from annoying to really good, depending on her mental state that day and who the guests are. Luckily she has on a lot of NYC comedians. It's only weekly but I also like Your Mom's House with Tom Segura and Christina P. I can't bring myself to listen to Jim and Sam. They're both so unlikable and have been doing the same jokes for years - in Jim's case 20 years.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I only listen to the Bonfire these days and I'm way behind on it so everything else has fallen off for me. I used to listen to YMH but the new studio and parade of boring guests killed it for me. And Christina's fake laugh is jocktober worthy

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Vichan posted:

Or this part:

I never really listened to Ron & Fez all that much but now I feel I should.

I got into R&F YouTube clips a while ago, and man has it aged better than most of O&A. The Earl-Dave fights are great

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

big boi posted:

I got into R&F YouTube clips a while ago, and man has it aged better than most of O&A. The Earl-Dave fights are great

R&F was such a bizarre circus that will probably always be great to revist. God bless Disco Dog on Youtube for posting tons of clips.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Posts you can hear:

"Hi! I'm Earl's Grandmother~"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.