Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just put up a patch in my one ceiling and started mudding together and I'm considering hire literally anyone with a pulse on nextdoor to do this instead of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Dave posted:

I just put up a patch in my one ceiling and started mudding together and I'm considering hire literally anyone with a pulse on nextdoor to do this instead of me.

gently caress hanging drywall

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

mycomancy posted:

gently caress hanging drywall

This is the one job I will always try and contract out when I diy stuff. What would take me weeks to make look passable could be done in 3 half days by guys who know what they are doing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

slurry_curry posted:

This is the one job I will always try and contract out when I diy stuff. What would take me weeks to make look passable could be done in 3 half days by guys who know what they are doing.

Like these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwZqPpSIyQ

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Helping a coworker move furniture into his new apartment. He told me the baseboard head didn't work in the bedroom, so I went to check the breakers and....

I told him it's better off broken. And to keep everything of value near the door.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

0toShifty posted:

Helping a coworker move furniture into his new apartment. He told me the baseboard head didn't work in the bedroom, so I went to check the breakers and....

I told him it's better off broken. And to keep everything of value near the door.

The baseboard heating has migrated up the walls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

slurry_curry posted:

I did such a poo poo slop job of mudding on round one and tape is visible so I know if I go and sand to smooth it out I'm going to start tearing tape and oh boy why did I start this when I need to travel for work this week and have friends staying over the night after I Get back.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Those are giant sheets of drywall. I think when my dad and I did our basement 20 years ago it took at least a weekend to hang everything and that was just a rectangle room. I imagine they could be done in an hour.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Those are giant sheets of drywall. I think when my dad and I did our basement 20 years ago it took at least a weekend to hang everything and that was just a rectangle room. I imagine they could be done in an hour.

They're normal-sized.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're normal-sized.

They looked a lot longer than 8’? I was watching it on my phone so maybe I missed the edges in the stack in the middle?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, that stack on the floor looks like at least 16' long. Probably 20', it's almost touching the back wall of the garage, and goes out to the edge of the slab. I don't see a seam in the middle of the stack, so its definitely not two stacks of 4x12. The sheets leaning against the wall are cut down already, I'm assuming the guy working on the stack is just there to cut to whatever length the other guys need to hang.

That's honestly a great idea. Probably more waste, but think of how many walls you could do with minimal seams if you were hanging 20' long sheets of drywall. Hell, I'd probably have been able to do the long wall in my basement with 4 sheets instead of 8-10 if I had those.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

They looked a lot longer than 8’? I was watching it on my phone so maybe I missed the edges in the stack in the middle?

They come in at least 12' lengths now, I had a 9x11 room done with no seams except the corners

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can buy 16’ sheets at lowes right off the floor, nothing special there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/SpicyFlimsyIndianskimmer.mp4

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Wait, pillars aren't meant to hold stuff sideways too?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nevets posted:

Wait, pillars aren't meant to hold stuff sideways too?

Sure they do, you just need to install them sideways

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Sure they do, you just need to install them sideways

And make sure to attach your line to the far end of the pillar so it's in compression instead of tension.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ftwhiskey/status/1193928088226152451

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm not surprised they quit halfway through, probably had vertigo from trying to navigate the M.C. Escher roof.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

im the "hole" sign

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
RooFS needs defragmenting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least now their roof is less likely to spontaneously catch fire.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

By popular demand posted:

im the "hole" sign

Finally the Boring Company shows some progress!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

im the "hole" sign

It's apparently a marker for a skylight.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

No I think that whole roof is basically a skylight, it'll open automatically in the first rain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

im the "hole" sign

that is where the roof toilet goes you loving rubes

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
That is exactly the roof that house deserves.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I love that there are at least 20 planes to that roof and every one is missing tiles.

e:

Apologists are coming in:

https://twitter.com/TotalGamix/status/1194189036895768576?s=19

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 13, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I love that there are at least 20 planes to that roof and every one is missing tiles.

e:

Apologists are coming in:

https://twitter.com/TotalGamix/status/1194189036895768576?s=19

https://mobile.twitter.com/waitworry/status/1018559160672243714

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

New McMansion Hell post!
featuring some Lovecraftian horrror houses

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not being involved in the construction industry it takes me some time to process all these horrors.
Nothing I've ever seen looks more like a child's creation from modular blocks than those.

America- you often criticise shantytowns in poorer regions but this sin against architecture and taste is all on you. May you burn in hell.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This is the outcome when a mansion develops malicious tumors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

This is the outcome when a mansion develops malicious tumors.

The owners?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ew that third one looks incomplete, abandoned and gross

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

ew that third one looks incomplete, abandoned and gross

The hedges haven't grown in yet, but yeah.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

This roof is infuriating and I'm not even in that line of work.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

couldcareless posted:

This roof is infuriating and I'm not even in that line of work.

Even with normal shingles it's an abomination of rooflines. They must not get any appreciable amount of rainfall, that triple slope just screams leak.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's a parabolic mirror to collect more sun!

e: wait, maybe the owner is just a huge aviation nerd and wants to live in a Nighthawk

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Youth Decay posted:

New McMansion Hell post!
featuring some Lovecraftian horrror houses

WTF is with the tumour roof-thing on the far-left slope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

It's a parabolic mirror to collect more sun!

e: wait, maybe the owner is just a huge aviation nerd and wants to live in a Nighthawk

:krad: