Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’m not worried about the government; I’m worried about the FB-KillBots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

chitoryu12 posted:

All you guys freaking out about the government getting your face will be real surprised when you learn about IDs.

What part of this has anything to do with the government, in your mind?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

chitoryu12 posted:

All you guys freaking out about the government getting your face will be real surprised when you learn about IDs.
Facebook is the government now?

I already know the gov has my face (though they don't have a 3D scan... Yet) but I don't want a private company having that same data specifically for advertising and/or better face matching data. Theyve got better reasons to give it to anyone who pays

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
amazon has given the state carte blanche excuse to intercept every conversation happening in proximity of one of their internet connected snooper-speakers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I just witnessed a Geico commercial that included product placement for Heltzberg Diamonds.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Because it wasn't posted in here yet

David Mack (@davidmackau) Tweeted:
when i tell you i finally realised what i was watching that i SCREAMED https://t.co/RCY4N8PEAx https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1193987805984231425?s=20

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

when i tell you i finally realised what i was watching that i SCREAMED https://t.co/RCY4N8PEAx https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1193987805984231425?s=20

According to the replies, Renault is apparently the car of choice for European lesbians for some reason. I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
im missing how the two are related in that vid, please help

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The letter is signed “your best friend”.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

im missing how the two are related in that vid, please help

Yeah. So is the car "30 years in the making" just like LGBT rights?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Not really, they’ve been making them all along. It’s basically like saying the Honda Civic has been.
Also, I’m French and I’ve never heard it singled out as a “lesbian car”. It’s a compact car for city driving, pretty commonplace and not very fancy. It’s also many a student’s starter car.

HerStuddMuffin has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Nov 13, 2019

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The MSJ posted:

Yeah. So is the car "30 years in the making" just like LGBT rights?

The idea is that their relationship was 30 years in the making, afaict.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Len posted:

https://youtu.be/iIpCYnT4a0U

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I thought Subaru was the lesbian car?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Salami posted:

I thought Subaru was the lesbian car?

It is in the US. I thought it was a Subaru commercial until the end.

Subaru sponsored a lesbian...I want to say tennis player, and it paid off big-time. Lesbians are 4 times as likely as straight women to own a Subaru, and the Outback is the #1 lesbian car.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Not really, they’ve been making them all along. It’s basically like saying the Honda Civic has been.

I think you can get the confusion as Renault did that trick where the name keeps going for 30 years, while the 4 different cars it was attached to share only the vaguest of similarities (i.e. each one is the smallest in their current range and little else)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beachcomber posted:

It is in the US. I thought it was a Subaru commercial until the end.

Subaru sponsored a lesbian...I want to say tennis player, and it paid off big-time. Lesbians are 4 times as likely as straight women to own a Subaru, and the Outback is the #1 lesbian car.
They were doing unrelated market research and found for some reason a disproportionate number of Subaru owners were lesbians, so they leaned into it hard and it super paid off.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Splicer posted:

They were doing unrelated market research and found for some reason a disproportionate number of Subaru owners were lesbians, so they leaned into it hard and it super paid off.

That is kinda funny as Subaru is known here (Switzerland) for being a country bumpkin / farmer car. They also get the tuned up versions similarly dumb to lifted pick-ups, they get nicknamed "Farmer Ferraris".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Helios Grime posted:

That is kinda funny as Subaru is known here (Switzerland) for being a country bumpkin / farmer car. They also get the tuned up versions similarly dumb to lifted pick-ups, they get nicknamed "Farmer Ferraris".

Something similar in Australia, my rural mum and grandma both got Subarus and they got stickers on them so they could tell them apart in the parking lot from all the others. I think because they fit a useful niche of being just powerful and lifted enough to be suitable for off-road/dirt road driving while also being practical cars to drive around town.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Also, I’m French and I’ve never heard it singled out as a “lesbian car”. It’s a compact car for city driving, pretty commonplace and not very fancy. It’s also many a student’s starter car.

There's probably a fair bit of overlap between 'a student away from parents at last' and coming out. Is there a 'gay man car' taking up that share of the market already?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The Miata?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have heard that the Volkswagen Golf is the gay man's car. No idea if that's true though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Volkswagen Golf is like the bestselling car in the world, so statistically it's likely.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I've been led to believe the minimum level of vehicle for heterosexuality is an F-350 Super Duty.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EoinCannon posted:

I have heard that the Volkswagen Golf is the gay man's car. No idea if that's true though

Miata’s

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Papa?

Nicole!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_and_Nicole

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still wondering why that guy SCREAMED when he realized what he was watching. :confused:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hirayuki posted:

I'm still wondering why that guy SCREAMED when he realized what he was watching. :confused:

regular human reactions are no longer sufficient to get clicks

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Elfface posted:

There's probably a fair bit of overlap between 'a student away from parents at last' and coming out. Is there a 'gay man car' taking up that share of the market already?

PT Cruisers are pretty gay.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
PT Cruisers are more a boomer car, and specifically boomer moms, because they think it looks like the type of car that a "gangster" would drive.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

About 10 years ago me and my husband went on holiday to Las Vegas and California and we hired a car to do a road trip for a week.
They gave us a PT Cruiser and we hated it, it was the crappest car we'd ever driven. A tyre burst while we were driving through Yosemite and we had to put on the emergency tyre and limp into Lee Vining where they put a proper one on.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Marketing experts say that the PT Cruiser is genius level marketing just by existing because it's basically the platonic archetype of a car for the target audience. (How good it is as a car doesn't matter)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Hirayuki posted:

Its also pretty obviously a car commercial early on. Theres just way to much stuff happening in cars and some car is pretty much always in frame and in the background.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently the only way to get kids to thrive is by buying them Apple

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/13/apple-exec-students-who-use-googles-cheap-laptops-wont-succeed.html

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Apple's marketing SVP Phil Schiller might be somewhat... biased.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Apple's marketing SVP Phil Schiller might be somewhat... biased.

You obviously only think that because your intellect was stunted by being raised without Apple products. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Helith posted:

About 10 years ago me and my husband went on holiday to Las Vegas and California and we hired a car to do a road trip for a week.
They gave us a PT Cruiser and we hated it, it was the crappest car we'd ever driven. A tyre burst while we were driving through Yosemite and we had to put on the emergency tyre and limp into Lee Vining where they put a proper one on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

What I’ve heard is that they were the first car company to advertise in LGBT magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Henchman of Santa posted:

What I’ve heard is that they were the first car company to advertise in LGBT magazines.

Their marketing people noticed that Subarus were already disproportionately popular with lesbians and doubled down.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/how-subarus-came-to-be-seen-as-cars-for-lesbians/488042/

quote:

When one Subaru ad man … proposed the gay-targeting ads in talks with Japanese executives, the executives hurriedly looked up “gay” in their dictionaries. Upon reading the definition, they nodded at the idea enthusiastically. Who wouldn’t want happy or joyous advertising?

quote:

“It was certainly a learning process for everybody,” says Bennett. While Bennett, who is gay, didn’t reveal his sexual orientation for fear of overshadowing the effort, he nonetheless recalls holding company meetings with names along the lines of “Who Are Gays and Lesbians?”

quote:

Subaru of America knew it had to support its gay and lesbian employees if it wanted to appeal to lesbian customers, so they scheduled a meeting with a senior Japanese executive to make the case for domestic partnership benefits. Bennett and his colleagues had prepared to argue their case at length, but the meeting lasted 20 seconds. The executive, who had worked for Subaru in Canada, already knew about benefits for same-sex couples. “He said, ‘Yeah that’s fine. We did that in Canada years ago. Anything else?’” says Bennett. “It was the easiest thing we did.”

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Nov 14, 2019