Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this game sucks rear end!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Framboise posted:

You're really going to struggle to get an objective answer anywhere because it's extremely polarizing. Some people are thinking it's the absolute worst most insulting thing ever, and others are very excited.

The game has flaws, some of which may be frustrating. If you can accept that, get the game and have fun! If not, you're probably better off giving the game a miss and either playing something more worth your money or join the dead horse beating riot.

I think it's gonna be ok. Not amazing, not mindblowing. But it'll be ok and I'll grab it.

Sounds good to me. I have not once in my life expected to have my mind blown by a pokemon game.

They're all single type?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My man

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

this game sucks rear end!!

but wooloo, yamper, galarian weezing hattrene, cursola, grimmsnarl, toxtricity

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

2 questions:

1) If I bought the new zealand version, how many hours from now does it unlock (Is it midnight their time?)
2) Is there a list somewhere of new pokemon movesets/stats that isn't just a straight up text dump from the leak

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Clarste posted:

Sounds good to me. I have not once in my life expected to have my mind blown by a pokemon game.

They're all single type?

Yuh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Weird, but I was going to do an all Bug team anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

...Does this game have bugs?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Clarste posted:

Weird, but I was going to do an all Bug team anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

Psychic beetle, fire centipede, ice moth, can't remember any more.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Rhibombee is also here, as is Butterfree, the ninjask line, Galvantula, shuckle, golisipod and..uhh.. does drapion count?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 13, 2019

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

I was just listing the new ones, though I do agree that Ribombee is important content.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ice-Bug sounds cool. That's a new combination iirc.

Edit: Also a terrible combination, now that I think about it?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

I've been completely out of the loop on this but when I noticed it was coming out soon I encountered the abstract idea of controversy without any details. Someone explain: is this game good or bad?

Roughly on par with the 3DS games probably.

People's frustrations are essentially with the last 2 gens having obvious lacks of polish and unfinished or missing features. Then a total eruption was caused by this new gen on the new home console suddenly cutting a bunch of stuff, while not appearing to have done much improvements in the other departments, but costing more than previous entries.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Clarste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, shiny Cursola is pretty rad looking, kind of wish these were the default colors.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

That's it for new ones but this is a really good gen for bugs. Vikavolt, Galvantula, Butterfree(only mentioning because it gets a gigantamax), Ninjask, Shedinja, Vespiqueen(though heal order doesn't exist anymore), Ribombee, Golisopod, Drapion, Durant(who gets First impression now :shepface:), Flygon(okay it's not technically a bug but come on), and more.

Also 2 of the new bugs get gigantamaxes.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Just found out they gave my boy Hawlucha Close Combat, I no longer have to stress about HJK. New Pokemon GOTy 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, shiny Cursola is pretty rad looking, kind of wish these were the default colors.

Helps make that ectoplasmic coral look a lot more defined I gotta say.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Just found out they gave my boy Hawlucha Close Combat, I no longer have to stress about HJK. New Pokemon GOTy 2019

Know who also gets Close combat?

Aegislash.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Previous gen you had Toxapex eating Corsola alive. This gen Corsola is loving ded

stop bulli the coral

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RatHat posted:

Apparently to evolve Farfetch’d you need to KO 3 Pokémon with it in a single battle. That’s kinda annoying.
oh wow that's a cool mechanic actually - until I remember watching the stream and seeing that most trainers had 2 pokemon with them

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

2 questions:

1) If I bought the new zealand version, how many hours from now does it unlock (Is it midnight their time?)
2) Is there a list somewhere of new pokemon movesets/stats that isn't just a straight up text dump from the leak

IDK if it'll unlock at midnight (I don't see why not?) but you're looking at 28 hours and 12 minutes from now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

IDK if it'll unlock at midnight (I don't see why not?) but you're looking at 28 hours and 12 minutes from now.

Cool! It'll be like 2PM here anyway so I figure by the time I'm done with work it might be unlocked

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RatHat posted:

Know who also gets Close combat?

Aegislash.

*spitscoffeeeverywhere*

Excuse me, what!?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Drumpanzee? I thought its name was Thwackey?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It is. Some of those names were guesses before the actual info got out.

Suit and Tie
May 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cool! It'll be like 2PM here anyway so I figure by the time I'm done with work it might be unlocked

NZ Eshop mentions digital preorders unlock on the 15/11 at 2am.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

If I get Pokemon Shield, there's nothing stopping me from getting a Farfetch'd from a kind goon and evolving it into a Sirfetch'd or whatever it's called, right?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

If I get Pokemon Shield, there's nothing stopping me from getting a Farfetch'd from a kind goon and evolving it into a Sirfetch'd or whatever it's called, right?

Yeah. Just have to get to the point you can trade. Preferably an egg so it will obey you.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

any game with Charjabug in it is Game of the Year.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Suit and Tie posted:

NZ Eshop mentions digital preorders unlock on the 15/11 at 2am.

yeah I think it's because we share a store with australia so it's midnight in some part of australia that it unlocks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It will unlock in 26hrs 10min from time of this posts on the Aussie eShop.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Licarn posted:

yeah I think it's because we share a store with australia so it's midnight in some part of australia that it unlocks

2am in New Zealand is midnight in the southeast of Australia, yeah.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
I'm going to sort of effortpost about Jynx and what the gently caress that whole deal was before bed.

In the Gen 1 beta materials there's an ice-type called Boo that formed a trio with Magmar (Boober) and Electabuzz(Eleboo). It was pretty transparently just a ripoff of a rather distinctive Ultraman monster called Woo, which was both a yuki-onna and a yeti and they were afraid they would get sued by Tsurubaya, who had been rather trigger happy due to a long and deeply terrible series of legal battles with their former Thai distribution partner who tried to claim the full franchise rights to Ultraman.

So they changed it into an opera singer that was also some sort of mollusc because who the gently caress even knows. Everything about early pokemon is pretty much complete nonsense and rear end-backwards design like the lead artist having to reverse-engineer the pokemon designs from the loving spritework.

Also Electabuzz is a knockoff of Eleking, another much more famous Ultraman monster, and Magmar probably is too because that's what happens when you have a franchise that's existed since motherfucking 1966.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Given how many children I meet who are terrified about climate change I do appreciate that this game has put an unremittingly bleak reference to it in here; it’s a way of making a game appeal to children that’s a bit bolder than a difficulty level is

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gulping Again posted:

I'm going to sort of effortpost about Jynx and what the gently caress that whole deal was before bed.

In the Gen 1 beta materials there's an ice-type called Boo that formed a trio with Magmar (Boober) and Electabuzz(Eleboo). It was pretty transparently just a ripoff of a rather distinctive Ultraman monster called Woo, which was both a yuki-onna and a yeti and they were afraid they would get sued by Tsurubaya, who had been rather trigger happy due to a long and deeply terrible series of legal battles with their former Thai distribution partner who tried to claim the full franchise rights to Ultraman.

So they changed it into an opera singer that was also some sort of mollusc because who the gently caress even knows. Everything about early pokemon is pretty much complete nonsense and rear end-backwards design like the lead artist having to reverse-engineer the pokemon designs from the loving spritework.

Also Electabuzz is a knockoff of Eleking, another much more famous Ultraman monster, and Magmar probably is too because that's what happens when you have a franchise that's existed since motherfucking 1966.

Golem is a pretty blatant Ultraman monster ripoff too.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Today's Pokemon hashtag trending on Twitter is: GameFreakLied. And it already has a lot of traction I see. I'm sure people are voicing their opinion in a calm and collected manner.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It looks like Sobble and Grookey should have another evolution between their middle and final evolutions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IT'S HERE! Time to get started on a whole new 3D advance in the next generation of Pokemon!

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

MikeJF posted:

IT'S HERE! Time to get started on a whole new 3D advance in the next generation of Pokemon!

drat b how many Pokemon are obtainable in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zuzie posted:

Today's Pokemon hashtag trending on Twitter is: GameFreakLied. And it already has a lot of traction I see. I'm sure people are voicing their opinion in a calm and collected manner.

At least half of the posts under that are making fun of the people pushing it. I did find this gem though:

https://twitter.com/Dilwaarr/status/1194560940584439816

Japanese fans have apparently turned on Charizard too. I'm kind of amused.