Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Literally everything is and has been ported except for Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Overwatch was the last new game they released.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

If my phone is installing an update, while plugged into my MacBook, is there a progress bar for this somewhere? Like this is the Finder view:

I can't seem to find how much of my life I've devoted to sitting in this coffee shop right now.

edit: After an hour I just ran it directly from my phone and it downloaded the update and installed it in about 10 minutes. Just another 10.15 thing I guess.

follow that camel!! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 4, 2019

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

American McGay posted:

Literally everything is and has been ported except for Overwatch.

The current beta of WC3 reforged also does not work on Mac. Maybe that will change when it goes live, but as of now it does not work. D4 as of now is PC and console only. OW2 will not be on Mac.

That announcement had me looking at building a gaming PC to sit net to my current Mac instead of buying a new Mac.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a MacBook running Mojave

Xcode wouldn't update, so I removed it from Applications thinking I could just re-install it from the store. I actually did that to fix the same problem a couple updats ago

Now the app store thinks I already have it and will only let me update.

HOW THE gently caress

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

follow that camel!! posted:

If my phone is installing an update, while plugged into my MacBook, is there a progress bar for this somewhere? Like this is the Finder view:

I can't seem to find how much of my life I've devoted to sitting in this coffee shop right now.

edit: After an hour I just ran it directly from my phone and it downloaded the update and installed it in about 10 minutes. Just another 10.15 thing I guess.

I think there's one in the window bar of all places.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

follow that camel!! posted:

If you update through iTunes/macOS, it downloads the entire iOS setup file, which is like 4 GB or something now. If you update on the phone, it downloads a delta update which is usually only a couple hundred MB for point updates.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I have a MacBook running Mojave

Xcode wouldn't update, so I removed it from Applications thinking I could just re-install it from the store. I actually did that to fix the same problem a couple updats ago

Now the app store thinks I already have it and will only let me update.

HOW THE gently caress

Did you trash it or just move it? Moving it from /Applications to somewhere else doesn't necessarily mean that the App Store can't find it from the way the file system works.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last Chance posted:

Did you trash it or just move it? Moving it from /Applications to somewhere else doesn't necessarily mean that the App Store can't find it from the way the file system works.

Trashed, and then emptied the trash

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Today it finally came back in the app store with the cloud icon.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Anyone else no longer getting Google Calendar notifications with Chrome on schedule meetings?

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm still half asleep right now, but nitsuga is right. I wouldn't use configuration profiles for software deployment.

I'd add in that part to the policy for the software install. It could be a script to install the plist or whatever file it is to the right location, or a script that runs a command to activate the software. Those are just examples since it would depend on how the software does things.

That all said, configuration profiles generally aren't slow. They go through APNS so they install near instantly, not dependent on the next time the computer talks to your Jamf.

I would search Jamf Nation because odds are someone has had the same problem as you.

Can you give us the name of the software? I work in higher ed, so maybe it's something I can help with.

Cheers for you and nitsuga, the problem's not with the packaging/installation but more the philosophy behind it. I was :psyduck: about putting software keys in plain text and blasting it across our environments in case someone ever installed it.
A frank exchange of ideas later, we do find out that running a jamf policy also instantly sticks down a configuration and i'm voted down from a position of no software keys in configuration policies.

Now to figure out a way of stopping personal appleIDs from remote locking MDM devices!
Any knowledge about federating apple IDs in here?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

blindidiotgod posted:

Cheers for you and nitsuga, the problem's not with the packaging/installation but more the philosophy behind it. I was :psyduck: about putting software keys in plain text and blasting it across our environments in case someone ever installed it.
A frank exchange of ideas later, we do find out that running a jamf policy also instantly sticks down a configuration and i'm voted down from a position of no software keys in configuration policies.

Now to figure out a way of stopping personal appleIDs from remote locking MDM devices!

I have a little experience with that too. Sounds like you’ll need to get set up with Apple Business Manager, but once you do that you can federate from Azure AD: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-business-manager/mdm1c9622977/web

I know there’s some trickery you can do to prevent Activation Lock, so that might cover Remote Locks too, but I’m not sure. There is the Jamf Pro Adminstrator’s Guide, which might give you some info on what kinds of payloads are available for Configuration Profiles: https://www.jamf.com/resources/product-documentation/jamf-pro-administrators-guide/

Essentially though, I think both of the things you’re looking for are doable. You just need to find the right combo of things for your company.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Years ago, when I was dumber and owned a MacBook Air, I downloaded CleanMyMac 2 bullshit software. I quickly learned the error of my ways and took what I thought were the appropriate steps to remove it from my computer and clean out any folders/files hidden.

Fast forward to 2014 and I replace the Air with a MacBook Pro. I migrate everything to the new computer and everything seems to go hunky dory.

Fast forward to 2019 and I start getting notifications on my MBP about how it’s time to Clean My Mac. Clicking on this notification appears to do nothing. It just sits there until I dismiss it.

When I go into the Notifications settings in System Preferences, I see CleanMyMac 2 Helper in the list of apps with notification privileges.

Now try as I might, I can’t find this CleanMyMac 2 Helper anywhere on my system. It’s clearly there, or something is, but I can’t root it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It’s a 2013 rMBP on v 10.14.6 of Mojave.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gay Retard posted:

They'd be stupid not to release it on Switch/Mac.

It’ll come out on Switch for sure I think, Mac OS? Dunno, wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
n*thing, I've been running a phiole locally for years, works great. Lately, I've setup a VPN on the free AWS tier. About to migrate the pi to the cloud because its easier to manage and higher avail.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

blindidiotgod posted:

I’m on vacation so I’m not about to log in to my Jamf Pro to confirm but I’m 99% sure that the device has to be supervised to prevent activation locks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Years ago, when I was dumber and owned a MacBook Air, I downloaded CleanMyMac 2 bullshit software. I quickly learned the error of my ways and took what I thought were the appropriate steps to remove it from my computer and clean out any folders/files hidden.

Fast forward to 2014 and I replace the Air with a MacBook Pro. I migrate everything to the new computer and everything seems to go hunky dory.

Fast forward to 2019 and I start getting notifications on my MBP about how it’s time to Clean My Mac. Clicking on this notification appears to do nothing. It just sits there until I dismiss it.

When I go into the Notifications settings in System Preferences, I see CleanMyMac 2 Helper in the list of apps with notification privileges.

Now try as I might, I can’t find this CleanMyMac 2 Helper anywhere on my system. It’s clearly there, or something is, but I can’t root it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It’s a 2013 rMBP on v 10.14.6 of Mojave.

This FAQ lists the location of the helper files: https://macpaw.com/support/cleanmymac-3/knowledgebase/cleanmymac-helper-tool

If that doesn't work, according to this Apple thread and the company support site, you may need to re-install the software and then use it's uninstall function to remove everything cleanly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife wants to watch Chernobyl, but she's an animal lover, so she can't watch episode 4 of that. I have already ripped the bluray and want to trim out all that kind of stuff for her. However, the bluray rip is like 22 GB, which is how much space I have on my HD. I have it ripped to my NAS, but iMovie won't use that, it has to be a USB drive in a certain format.

Is there a free movie editor program that I can use my NAS with, to just trim out these scenes? I'm not looking to burn it back on a disk or anything after. I'm just going to put it in Kodi.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IUG posted:

My wife wants to watch Chernobyl, but she's an animal lover, so she can't watch episode 4 of that. I have already ripped the bluray and want to trim out all that kind of stuff for her. However, the bluray rip is like 22 GB, which is how much space I have on my HD. I have it ripped to my NAS, but iMovie won't use that, it has to be a USB drive in a certain format.

Is there a free movie editor program that I can use my NAS with, to just trim out these scenes? I'm not looking to burn it back on a disk or anything after. I'm just going to put it in Kodi.

You could downsample the file using Handbrake before editing it. Editing a network-hosted video file, especially one of that size sounds kind of painful though, I'm not sure anything's going to make it easy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just have her watch what the film makers intended. But afterwards this should make her feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDz599SBRNA

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Just have her watch what the film makers intended. But afterwards this should make her feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDz599SBRNA

I did, now she's sad the puppies can't be pet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Forbidden puppies :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone know what to do about some music not transferring to the iPhone through the new finder interface? It just says that the tracks or albums couldn't be found. They are in the same format, etc. as the other albums that did transfer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Anyone know what to do about some music not transferring to the iPhone through the new finder interface? It just says that the tracks or albums couldn't be found. They are in the same format, etc. as the other albums that did transfer.

at this point I think apple has sadly given up on manual music management and is trying to push people to the Apple Radio model. It's just getting really bad, and they've forgotten that there were a lot of music nerds who bought into the ipod back when and have been sticking with Apple ever since because of that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

apple makes products for 95% of users, the issue is that we're in the 5% now

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I ended up using Openshot to edit a Handbrake downsampled 2GB version of the episode. The episode went from 61 minutes to 39 minutes, haha. (I also got rid of the cow execution at the beginning of the episode.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Arivia posted:

at this point I think apple has sadly given up on manual music management and is trying to push people to the Apple Radio model. It's just getting really bad, and they've forgotten that there were a lot of music nerds who bought into the ipod back when and have been sticking with Apple ever since because of that.

Okay, but I'm not sure that's an answer to my question.

Is there some alternative software I should use?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There's a patch that lets you keep using iTunes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe try converting the id3 tags to another version? You should be able to do this by right clicking the song files.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay I'll try that thank you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have a FileVault question / problem.

A friend at work asked me to update their late 2012 15inch MBP. She said she never used it much and wanted to maybe start using it more. I had her buy an SSD and more ram for it because those are the quickest fixes. No big deal right?

Well.... it doesn't look like she has updated it since 2012 either. I went to update the machine to Catalina before I installed the SSD and Catalina wouldn't install because it said that FileVault was encrypting the drive. I thought that was weird because I didn't turn it on and I know she didn't either.

The thing is I've had the machine plugged and running for 24+ hours now and FileVault is still running! The gauge is moving so it seems to be making progress but holy poo poo is it slow. So questions,

Can I stop it? I don't see any option to cancel the process so I assume not. Doing a quick estimation it looks like its going to take at least 2 more days to finish.

Second is it really possible that its been trying to encrypt this drive for 7 years now but hasn't been able because she doesn't use the machine enough to let it finish? Shes copied over a lot of pictures and movies from her phone over the years too so I imagine that FileVault is trying to play catch up.

Do I just have to let it run? It says it has over a day left still...

My mind is a little blown if FV has been trying to run for 7 years lol.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I have a FileVault question / problem.

A friend at work asked me to update their late 2012 15inch MBP. She said she never used it much and wanted to maybe start using it more. I had her buy an SSD and more ram for it because those are the quickest fixes. No big deal right?

Well.... it doesn't look like she has updated it since 2012 either. I went to update the machine to Catalina before I installed the SSD and Catalina wouldn't install because it said that FileVault was encrypting the drive. I thought that was weird because I didn't turn it on and I know she didn't either.

The thing is I've had the machine plugged and running for 24+ hours now and FileVault is still running! The gauge is moving so it seems to be making progress but holy poo poo is it slow. So questions,

Can I stop it? I don't see any option to cancel the process so I assume not. Doing a quick estimation it looks like its going to take at least 2 more days to finish.

Second is it really possible that its been trying to encrypt this drive for 7 years now but hasn't been able because she doesn't use the machine enough to let it finish? Shes copied over a lot of pictures and movies from her phone over the years too so I imagine that FileVault is trying to play catch up.

Do I just have to let it run? It says it has over a day left still...

Your theory is certainly possible. I don’t think it was in the Setup Assistant then, but who knows what happened. The time sounds normal for an HDD. I think you can cancel it, but if not punch “caffeinate” in Terminal and let it finish.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Your theory is certainly possible. I don’t think it was in the Setup Assistant then, but who knows what happened. The time sounds normal for an HDD. I think you can cancel it, but if not punch “caffeinate” in Terminal and let it finish.

Thanks! I think I might just let it run and finish. I'm a little gun shy because she does have quiet a few things saved on there.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks! I think I might just let it run and finish. I'm a little gun shy because she does have quiet a few things saved on there.

If you haven’t already, use this time to make a separate super duper clone to a new external drive before doing anything else. My new policy is I won’t touch a friend/family members machine until they buy an external drive and we do a verified clone first.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

If you haven’t already, use this time to make a separate super duper clone to a new external drive before doing anything else. My new policy is I won’t touch a friend/family members machine until they buy an external drive and we do a verified clone first.

You are right and I would make a clone but I'm leery of making a clone while FV is running. I have to imagine it could jack up the clone.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There's a patch that lets you keep using iTunes.

Can you give a bit more information on this? My wife has one of the sixth-gen iPods that no longer syncs with the most recent updates.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

Its loving incredible that Macs ever run.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

redneck nazgul posted:

Can you give a bit more information on this? My wife has one of the sixth-gen iPods that no longer syncs with the most recent updates.

Retroactive

I haven't used it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding Apple Music:

Why oh why did they remove the “view album art” option from the “Songs” tab? Why does making a playlist suck so much rear end?