Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Cell phone chargers should ideally always have the USB shield/power return line connected to PE, but for some insane reason everyone seems to be ok with classing them as double insulated devices despite an insulation fault being enough to make the phone/usb cable ends hot at 110/230V.

If the USB shield was connected to PE a fault in the device would instantly trip a GFCI, lacking a GFCI the charger would probably melt/explode, signaling to the user that the charger should be replaced.
As is, a fault is silent and potentially deadly.

shame on an IGA posted:

Well the mixer and kettle simultanously as show in their promotional flyer there would draw around 30A, plus there's nothing preventing polarity reversal so anything with a 2 prong plug could easily be plugged in such that the chassis is always hot.

Maxing out the shock and fire risk independently, noice.

Surely no one's making new devices that use the neutral wire as a chassis ground anymore?
The lack of a PE connection in the extension cord is definitely an issue, but neutral is not PE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care how many precautions someone takes, I don't like any youtube channel that makes it look like they are about to kill themselves. At least the electro boom guy is knowledgeable in electricity. The backyard scientist guy always looks like he just found out about something on the internet and now he's trying it with reckless abandon because "lol i f*cking love science"

I take it you don't like the part, then, where he jabs the live electrodes (which would pass mains electricity) at his girlfriend as a joke?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jet Jaguar posted:

Congratulations to these folks for reinventing the Presto Hot Dogger.

I have used one of these, back in the late '70s.

It cooked hot dogs just fine; the issue was the perky taste of ozone that permeated your tube steak. Copious application of mustard could not remove the bouquet of excited electrons. Onions just amplified the metallic flavor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

I have used one of these, back in the late '70s.

It cooked hot dogs just fine; the issue was the perky taste of ozone that permeated your tube steak. Copious application of mustard could not remove the bouquet of excited electrons. Onions just amplified the metallic flavor.

I made one like it for Cub Scouts. Pound two nails through a board, solder wires to them, and screw them into a plug. Spear a hot dog over the nails and plug it into the wall.

The down side was that the meat dried out near the nails and then you would get arcing, burning it.

We then ate our hot dogs. It was a good night.

By the way, we wore safety glasses and leather gloves, and plugged it in with a pair of pliers with a rubber handle. It was still crazy unsafe, but not too bad for early '70s Cub Scout stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That should be a Stab-Lok, for the extra :perfect:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
In prison we called those devices "stingers" and we'd use them to boil water for coffee or soup. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/J2ORMnw.mp4

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

gently caress me

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Best action-drama scene I’ve seen in years.

schmug
May 20, 2007

I'm the guy walking who has seen this one before *takes sip*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Car drivers in a nutshell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least the train was going slow enough that the driver didn't have to worry about killing the person.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

With all that flag waving, are we sure this isn't a political ad? It just needs commentary/labels :patriot:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nenonen posted:

With all that flag waving, are we sure this isn't a political ad? It just needs commentary/labels :patriot:

I guess if the message is that you're the big tough train and your opponent is the idiot in the car.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The train is nature's stealthiest predator.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I guess if the message is that you're the big tough train and your opponent is the idiot in the car.

Looks like you are the car hating opponent who wants to railroad our freedoms.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Varkk posted:

Looks like you are the car hating opponent who wants to railroad our freedoms.

Well you're the train hating opponent who wants to car road our traindoms (being dominated by a train).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cojawfee posted:

Well you're the train hating opponent who wants to car road our traindoms (being dominated by a train).

What if the train prefers to be the sub-way

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Super Soaker Party! posted:

What if the train prefers to be the sub-way

Just wait there's a switch on the rail ahead.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Nenonen posted:

All small towns do this in the summer and it's super loving creepy, could be mostly a memorial day/4th of july thing though, which is still creepy

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Renegret posted:

gently caress me

Not without the proper PPE and safety interlocks in place.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Renegret posted:

gently caress me

Well if you want a train run on you...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Enkmar posted:

All small towns do this in the summer and it's super loving creepy, could be mostly a memorial day/4th of july thing though, which is still creepy

Yes, it does evoke images of streets in Xinjiang, China where the central government is trying hard to put the Uighur muslims into the fold:

The only limiting factor for the number of flags is that the surveillance cameras still need to have some kind of view :china:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Yes, it does evoke images of streets in Xinjiang, China where the central government is trying hard to put the Uighur muslims into the fold:

The only limiting factor for the number of flags is that the surveillance cameras still need to have some kind of view :china:

Lol, camera catches you putting up a PRC flag, flag obscures camera, into the camps with you!
Ever read Schweik? Like the bar owner being thrown in jail because a fly poo poo on the portrait of Franz in his bar.

I don't know if it's the same for y'all in Finland, but my father said you would only see the German flag flying from civic buildings or during sports games. Even in mainland China and Taiwan during the 80's (the latter still under miltary rule at the time), they would only be where he'd expect them. Cue my father and I walking around a small town in Iowa during their combo 4th of July/volunteer fire-squad fundraiser with flags on every house, every car in the parade, every business, etc. Complete and total bemusement on his part.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Either the city or some private group comes and places flags on people's lawns all the way down the avenue that my mom lives on for memorial day without asking. :Iowa:

Powershift posted:

Never trust a fart, earth edition.

"you won't get stuck under that bridge, it's too high"

sure showed him

Oh ye of little faith; look how big that is

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 13, 2019

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

madeintaipei posted:

Lol, camera catches you putting up a PRC flag, flag obscures camera, into the camps with you!
Ever read Schweik? Like the bar owner being thrown in jail because a fly poo poo on the portrait of Franz in his bar.

I don't know if it's the same for y'all in Finland, but my father said you would only see the German flag flying from civic buildings or during sports games. Even in mainland China and Taiwan during the 80's (the latter still under miltary rule at the time), they would only be where he'd expect them. Cue my father and I walking around a small town in Iowa during their combo 4th of July/volunteer fire-squad fundraiser with flags on every house, every car in the parade, every business, etc. Complete and total bemusement on his part.

In the street where my grandparents lived in Germany, there were flag holders on a lot of houses. For church flags during processions. It's a *very* catholic area.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Found on the woodworking subreddit as the machine that ate 3 fingers in its lifetime, which seems far too low imo:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

I think this is the most unsafe King of Random video out there, but they're all pretty OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsDZbN05tE

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The gun one was way worse, but I think it was taken down after the bomb incident.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trabant posted:

Found on the woodworking subreddit as the machine that ate 3 fingers in its lifetime, which seems far too low imo:

wtf why would anyone even want a blade in that orientation

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Someone here posted a video to Well There's Your Problem. They now have their own channel.

(I don't know how to link to a channel from the Android app, so here's the newest video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMfv1i3eFk

Edit: Lotta unexpected Lowtax love at the end of this video.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 13, 2019

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

If you want a vision of the future...

schmug
May 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

wtf why would anyone even want a blade in that orientation

I'm guessing it's actually a shaper that some yahoo set a saw blade on for the picture...at least I hope that's what is going on. For one it's not even centered; two, an arbor wouldn't stick that far through the table; and three, wtf kind of arbor is that? Looks like something off a milling machine.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Luneshot posted:

If you want a vision of the future...

It's very much like living inside a tinderbox, inside a fan-forced oven. Best ecosystem on the planet babey, half our animals barely make sense, all the trees are basically made to be on fire, plus I swear we have the highest possible concentration of pyromaniacs. there's so much arson jesus christ

here's some roadworks shenanigans from my beautiful state

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dreamin of semen posted:

It's very much like living inside a tinderbox, inside a fan-forced oven. Best ecosystem on the planet babey, half our animals barely make sense, all the trees are basically made to be on fire, plus I swear we have the highest possible concentration of pyromaniacs. there's so much arson jesus christ

Also, y'all have birds spreading fires because they've learned that when wildfires start, animals run away from the flames. Wildfires, therefore, are buffet lines. And there are documented cases in Australia of birds grabbing branches and sticks that are on fire on one end and bringing them over to areas that are not on fire to start a new fire and scare out food.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a slightly-too-low bridge is St, Peretsburg, Russia, as well.

It caught two idiots today. First it was this guy:

https://twitter.com/FoolsBridge/status/1194521836689788928

Then a bus joined him:

https://twitter.com/FoolsBridge/status/1194567967096410113

I wonder what the second driver's logic was.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

KLD-STROY.RU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Birds suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Trabant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8c0RNGfG0