Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

but neeku owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

I am going to try and communicate to you what is wrong with your posting in a language I think you may understand:

Now you're deflecting. You said it was a racing show, i said it's not and now you have a character you don't like.

Like it or don't like it, i just pointed out you were being disingenuous about what the show was.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I assure you, I am entirely sincere.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
See? you're doing it again

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You keep using the word "disingenuous".

I'm going to assume you are ESL and are opting for a word that is close to what you mean. But the way you are using "disingenuous" in English does not mean what you think it means.

This goes back to me asking if my (potentially incorrect) assessment of Star Wars: Resistance made it impossible for you to answer my question. Clearly it does, because you are weirdly fixated on it.

So, starting over:

I liked Clone Wars.

Rebels S1 was good, the rest was trash.

Star Wars: Resistance (I had to google the name) was also hot trash and I stopped watching after six episodes.

Given Filoni's mixed record, is this show something I am likely to enjoy?

I know that I am asking you to extrapolate and that is something your brain is clearly not wired to do. So if you feel unable to answer the question, we can let other people do that.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
:suicide:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Amen brother.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

You keep using the word "disingenuous".

I'm going to assume you are ESL and are opting for a word that is close to what you mean. But the way you are using "disingenuous" in English does not mean what you think it means.

This goes back to me asking if my (potentially incorrect) assessment of Star Wars: Resistance made it impossible for you to answer my question. Clearly it does, because you are weirdly fixated on it.

So, starting over:

I liked Clone Wars.

Rebels S1 was good, the rest was trash.

Star Wars: Resistance (I had to google the name) was also hot trash and I stopped watching after six episodes.

Given Filoni's mixed record, is this show something I am likely to enjoy?

I know that I am asking you to extrapolate and that is something your brain is clearly not wired to do. So if you feel unable to answer the question, we can let other people do that.

Look if you want to be a oval office about it, i'm here for a fight.

i know what disingenuous means, your either pretending to know less about it than you do. Or you didn't watch as many as you say you did, to talk poo poo about it. Either way you are not being sincere and you are just being aggressively cunty about it. It's ok to admit you didn't pay attention.

I couldn't give a bollocks if you are likely to enjoy this show or not. It's not my job to convince you. Based on how judgey you are, i'd wager you'd be better off smelling your own farts.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Talk about rebels and resistance (and clone wars when the new season drops next year) over in the starwars tv thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870472&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

Look if you want to be a oval office about it, i'm here for a fight.

i know what disingenuous means, your either pretending to know less about it than you do. Or you didn't watch as many as you say you did, to talk poo poo about it. Either way you are not being sincere and you are just being aggressively cunty about it. It's ok to admit you didn't pay attention.

I couldn't give a bollocks if you are likely to enjoy this show or not. It's not my job to convince you. Based on how judgey you are, i'd wager you'd be better off smelling your own farts.

Then why the gently caress are you responding? Let someone else answer.

I get that you are desperately lonely and need to post something to fill the void. That's cool brother, we're all on Somethingawful.com in 2019. I get it.

Hell, even if you just wanted to defend the lovely racing show, that's cool. Plenty of people thought Rebels got better as it went on. There is no accounting for taste.

I just wanted to know if I am likely to like this show based on my experience with the showrunner's other works.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Show is fine. Go watch it.

We’re one episode in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

Then why the gently caress are you responding? Let someone else answer.

I get that you are desperately lonely and need to post something to fill the void. That's cool brother, we're all on Somethingawful.com in 2019. I get it.

Hell, even if you just wanted to defend the lovely racing show, that's cool. Plenty of people thought Rebels got better as it went on. There is no accounting for taste.

I just wanted to know if I am likely to like this show based on my experience with the showrunner's other works.

I hope you don't enjoy it, because not everyone deserves nice things.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Some people have to stop emptying their ships grey holes in this thread.

I have spoken.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i hope the mandalorian learns not to be a droid racist

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I thought it was fun. It was not deep, there was a bit of cheese, it's not Shakespeare, but this is Star Wars (holding up washer, Look, sir, droids!) and it didn't seem particularly more cheesy than the original trilogy got. Hard to be sure of anything after one episode, but it generally looks and feels Str Wars-y, it's set post-Rebellion and pre-First-Order which seems like a good place to be, and there's potential. Maybe I'll be disappointed in the end, but right now I'm entertained enough to at least give it a couple episodes and see where it all goes.

I know nothing about Mandalorians or Bounty Hunters besides what we saw in the original trilogy. My only interaction with the Star Wars EU was the Thrawn trilogy, which rereading a couple years ago, I was sad to discover did not hold up, writing-wise, to my memory. I still love the concept of Thrawn as a baddie though,.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Slashrat posted:

Wait, as I recall it the whole "adopting orphans into the culture" was a big thing in Traviss' books too. What's the deal here?

Yeah, I'm really not getting the sense that other people seem to be getting that Filoni is out to spite Traviss. Hell, even back in Rebels, he lifted the vocabulary directly from her pet Mando language that she came up with, and adoption as part of Mandalorian culture was a pretty central point of her Republic Commando books.

I think the main difference is just that Filoni doesn't absolutely despise Jedi as a concept. It's easy to say that Traviss is obsessed with her Mandalorians, but I always felt like that came down more to how she would always spend so much time presenting them as this flawless opposition to how messed up the Jedi Order is, particularly in the prequel area. Jedi steal children away from their families and brainwash them from a young age into abandoning all emotional attachments, while Mandalorians are all about family and love as hard as they fight, blahblahblah. But with Filoni, he seems a lot more open to just taking some of those ideas and letting them breathe without making it all about how the Jedi are worse.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The only thing I didn't like about some of the music was that it felt like I was about to be shown a Dothraki scene from GoT but I guess the Mandos are basically space Dothraki in some sense but with more gender equality.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Everyone shut the gently caress up and appreciate Tatooine rideshare valet guy, please.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Why is every vehicle in the star wars a convertable, even on Planet Antarctica?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Owlbear Camus posted:

George Lucas fuckin loves classic cars, convertibles, and all that poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This sure felt like a web series created by Jon Favreau. I don’t know, there was enjoyable stuff but not much to chew on. It’s a short season so I don’t know why they decided to hold back on their characters. The only person I thought that was not only chewing scenery but absolutely killing it was Werner Herzog. He was fantastic and I wanted to know more about him! It’s weird when the side character was so much more interesting than our main character.

Like this show has good ideas but for me I think Pedro Pascal is completely wasted. I’m not really interested in this guy’s story after the pilot, I don’t know what his deal is other than he is a part of the bounty hunter guild and needs money for his people (who all wear masks).

Also for a show that’s been described as sparing no expense on the budget, it felt weirdly short for some reason. I’ll be watching with friends and hope it picks up. But I mostly just want to see Werner Herzog say sci fi gibberish words in a menacing manner.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Yoda fucks

get over it

Did he have an office fling with Yaddle? :barf:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

tadashi posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up and appreciate Tatooine rideshare valet guy, please.

I'm not sure why it amused me so much that he used the exact same sound effect for his dialogue as the Kubaz in A New Hope, but it did.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

exmarx posted:

i hope the mandalorian learns not to be a droid racist

He warmed up to IG11 at the end there... before blowing his brains out.

So we'll have to wait and see if he goes back to hating droids 24/7 once IG11 is repaired and hunting the mando down for revenge.

Quinton posted:

I know nothing about Mandalorians or Bounty Hunters besides what we saw in the original trilogy. My only interaction with the Star Wars EU was the Thrawn trilogy, which rereading a couple years ago, I was sad to discover did not hold up, writing-wise, to my memory. I still love the concept of Thrawn as a baddie though,.

This might help you, a brief history of the mandalorians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lkpU6Kg1E

And an older video of his (2 years) which covers the new canon history of the mandalors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woT-x2tyn4Y

His videos tend to be pretty good for the broader subjects and normally pretty short, then he'll do a longer video with much more detail on things like tv show episodes and weekly Q&As etc.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/13/cars/mclaren-elva-supercar-with-no-roof/index.html

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
These are definitely Filoni Mandalorians, not Travis's ones. TCW portrayed Mandalore as a burgeoning developed nation threatened by internal revanchist politics (and then, a sith Lord); Rebels has us see them as client-warlords to the Empire. TM appears to be communicating some further degradation/primitivism in mandalorian culture, and I'm curious where that goes.

The blacksmith had horns on her helmet; is she a descendant of the Maul Watch, or inherited her helmet from a soldier in that period?

Iirc this is also the first fiction to explore Mandalorians in a post-fett timeline when the fetts have been retconned into mandalorian pretenders. What's that cultural effect, I wonder, to be in a (complicated) profession where the two most famois practitioners were also stolen valoring the whole aesthetic and reputation that you're now cashing in on?

I'm very interested in how the pilot episode so subverts a lot of OT plot beats and imagery, but the ending shows that at it's core this is a pure genre tough guy meets a baby story. It feels like a different breed of star wars, but with so much genre stuff at its core it still feels authentically star warsian at the same time

E: it's also surprising that the bounty hunters guild, which just by its name and onscreen procedures, exists as a legal organ of galactic law enforcement, can't/won't pay a contractor in New Republic credits. Is the NR still so new and unstable at this point that their minted currency isn't considered solvent, meaning most transactions are now done in local money? Nah, I won't take NR Creds but give me some of that squishy fish money and we're in business

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 13, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So when will Boba Fett inevitably get resurrected? Season one cliffhanger? Hope they bring him back first as a bad guy chasing our hero but then as a bro.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Yoda is a deadbeat dad

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SyRauk posted:

Me: Huh, that guy sounds like Brian Posehn.

Me 10 seconds later: That IS Brian Posehn.
I said this verbatim. I hope to see more stunt casting as the show goes on.

Was good. The bar is extremely low after TLJ but I liked it. Waititi continues to be a gem.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vishass posted:

Yoda is a deadbeat dad

You are hiding a child, let that boy come home

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I thought it was fun enough but didn't super love it. I know it's the Mandalorian gimmick but "never removing his armor" is silly. Dude just never showers or eats? The emotional backstory about clans and armors with the lady Mandalorian falls flat because it's two expressionless masks talking at each other through voice modulators. Everything felt a little too bright and colorful, too. The bar in the opening scene felt more like a Space Applebee's than a seedy dive where the patrons murder each other.

I dug the fighting, the whole fight with IG-88 was fantastic. Hoping to see some character development that matches the action.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I thought it was fun enough but didn't super love it. I know it's the Mandalorian gimmick but "never removing his armor" is silly. Dude just never showers or eats? The emotional backstory about clans and armors with the lady Mandalorian falls flat because it's two expressionless masks talking at each other through voice modulators. Everything felt a little too bright and colorful, too. The bar in the opening scene felt more like a Space Applebee's than a seedy dive where the patrons murder each other.

I dug the fighting, the whole fight with IG-88 was fantastic. Hoping to see some character development that matches the action.

I got the impression the two Mandalorians don't know each other. Anybody else get that vibe? All her questions seemed impersonal.

For people who want more dialogue, remember that this is supposed to be a Western. You don't necessarily get a lot of dialogue in Westerns because they want to drive home the isolation of the gunslinger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Upon a re-watch, that is some top-shelf IG droid shooting stuff.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

tin can made man posted:

E: it's also surprising that the bounty hunters guild, which just by its name and onscreen procedures, exists as a legal organ of galactic law enforcement, can't/won't pay a contractor in New Republic credits. Is the NR still so new and unstable at this point that their minted currency isn't considered solvent, meaning most transactions are now done in local money? Nah, I won't take NR Creds but give me some of that squishy fish money and we're in business

Mon Calamari was a central member of the rebellion afaik, so their squishy fish money may be the de facto NR currency for the time being.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

tadashi posted:

I got the impression the two Mandalorians don't know each other. Anybody else get that vibe? All her questions seemed impersonal.

For people who want more dialogue, remember that this is supposed to be a Western. You don't necessarily get a lot of dialogue in Westerns because they want to drive home the isolation of the gunslinger.

Someone is mad he didn't banter with his weird warrior clan's ceremonial blacksmith?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This show is only like 5 years after ROTJ. The empire is still around or only recently hosed off to the outer regions.

I think the Republic still has its baby teeth in terms of currency. They're as concerned with not getting run over by a while lot of factions as well as trying to establish stuff like currency.

I didn't understand why that one bar had the imperial stamp in it? Imperial hard currency? I have babies so I watch with low sound and captions....

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 13, 2019

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

imagine being a baby for 50 years

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
really liked it. a few things I could quibble with (the flashback mini-montages felt clumsily inserted, and some spotty CG on the glurgs or whatever they were called), but it's well-paced (the short running time is a blessing) and seems to be delivering a pretty distinct take on the SW universe

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

tadashi posted:

I didn't understand why that one bar had the imperial stamp in it? Imperial hard currency? I have babies so I watch with low sound and captions....

It's basically space mithral, with the implication the Empire took it from the Mandos back in the day. According to books and stuff it can even take a glancing blow from a lightsaber.

romanowski posted:

imagine being a baby for 50 years

Does seem like an evolutionary liability. Probably why there so few Yodas running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do we know what mandalorians look like? Are they human or do they have a predator face or something