Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The thing that really gets me is that this cult fanbase exists despite Chris Robert's track record.

I mean I was aware that Wing Commander games existed back in the day but they were never top of the line space sims? They were 'fairly decent' but not on par with say, X-Wing or later Tie Fighter. They were low 80s score games in the old video game magazines, not classics.

Freelancer was decent fun but again, not the best thing around even when it was freshly released. How did he ever manage to sell himself as being a Big Deal?

Edit: Kitten Tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ7HC5o1Lis&t=6659s

Around 1 hour 51 Minutes. Just watch his attempts of grabbing the box. Just WATCH it and wipe away your tears of sadness or laughter. It's a proof of everything we wrote in these threads.

in year EIGHT this piece of poo poo PTU can't compete with actual game mechanics made a decade ago lmao

edit: thx Goon Sanya Juutilainen

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 13, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
PLEASE someone clips this whole attempt, I am dying from laughter :lol:

"but I enjoy playing it!" he said

HE SPENDS 5 MINUTES WITHOUT SUCCESS GRABBING A BOX in the SC PTU in November of 2019.

:laffo:

can't wait for the fakecon

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"Every NPC will have their own individual 24-hour schedule periodically constructed for them based upon things like how the economy is doing and what’s happening and within the solar system. A prosperous, growing economy might be reflected by the streets being filled with businessmen, tourists, and shoppers by day, and bar patrons, restaurant diners, and revelers at night.
Criminal activity – muggings, vandalism, pickpocketing, and even assault – might rise significantly once the sun sets, especially in those areas off the beaten path or on planets facing economic hardship. Some stores will close at night, leaving travelers arriving at odd hours and in need of their services and/or products to either burn some time at one of the establishments open around the clock, or trying to find an alternative source for their needs, which might mean trying to strike a late-night deal in a dark alley with a character of questionable integrity."

Tony Zuvorec, November 2014, just 5 years ago.

First working Box grabbing environments, THEN living space with EVERY NPC dynamicly scripted, NEXT epic space battles with x thousands of players.
We are so close!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

FakeCon

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

"Every NPC will have their own individual 24-hour schedule periodically constructed for them based upon things like how the economy is doing and what’s happening and within the solar system. A prosperous, growing economy might be reflected by the streets being filled with businessmen, tourists, and shoppers by day, and bar patrons, restaurant diners, and revelers at night.
Criminal activity – muggings, vandalism, pickpocketing, and even assault – might rise significantly once the sun sets, especially in those areas off the beaten path or on planets facing economic hardship. Some stores will close at night, leaving travelers arriving at odd hours and in need of their services and/or products to either burn some time at one of the establishments open around the clock, or trying to find an alternative source for their needs, which might mean trying to strike a late-night deal in a dark alley with a character of questionable integrity."

First working Box grabbing environments, THEN living space with EVERY NPC dynamicly scripted, NEXT epic space battles with x thousands of players.
We are so close!

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/11/24/star-citizen-qa-tony-zurovec/

"For Star Citizen, we’re going to try and do something a lot different. Designers are going to hand-craft individual mission components, and then specify how those pieces can be customized at run-time and linked to others to form coherent chains that effectively represent small, unique stories consisting of multiple sequential mission objectives. Responding to a simple distress call, then, becomes a lot more interesting because – just like in real life – you never know what might unfold as a result. Prevent a freighter from being destroyed by brigands, and you might collect your reward and leave. Search the computer core of the attackers’ ship, though, and you might ascertain the location of one of their remote outposts. Infiltrate that base and you might learn where they stash their stolen booty and make off with a fortune…if you can figure out how to defeat or draw away the heavily armed ship defending it. I think that the end result is going to be considerably greater than the sum of the individual pieces, and provide players with a much more diverse and interesting world to explore, where there are a practically infinite supply of threads that, when pulled, can dynamically instantiate long strands of a story that the player can choose to pursue or ignore as they see fit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzy9Dg-G56s

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 13, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/11/24/star-citizen-qa-tony-zurovec/

"For Star Citizen, we’re going to try and do something a lot different. Designers are going to hand-craft individual mission components, and then specify how those pieces can be customized at run-time and linked to others to form coherent chains that effectively represent small, unique stories consisting of multiple sequential mission objectives. Responding to a simple distress call, then, becomes a lot more interesting because – just like in real life – you never know what might unfold as a result. Prevent a freighter from being destroyed by brigands, and you might collect your reward and leave. Search the computer core of the attackers’ ship, though, and you might ascertain the location of one of their remote outposts. Infiltrate that base and you might learn where they stash their stolen booty and make off with a fortune…if you can figure out how to defeat or draw away the heavily armed ship defending it. I think that the end result is going to be considerably greater than the sum of the individual pieces, and provide players with a much more diverse and interesting world to explore, where there are a practically infinite supply of threads that, when pulled, can dynamically instantiate long strands of a story that the player can choose to pursue or ignore as they see fit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzy9Dg-G56s

Man, gimme some of what Tony Z is smokin'...

I hope we'll be seeing him at Citizen Con this year doing his stage magician act again. GASP! as he puts Crobbers to sleep on stage!! ROAR WITH LAUGHTER! as he hypnotises backers into believing any of this utter horsehit is possible or even remotely near to being in the game!! YAWN MIGHTILY! at the way he *dreams.txt* for an hour and makes it feel like 18 hours have passed!!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ7HC5o1Lis&t=3057s

Around 51 Minutes. Just watch his attempts of grabbing the box. Just WATCH it and wipe away your tears of sadness or laughter. It's a proof of everything we wrote in these threads.

in year EIGHT this piece of poo poo PTU can't compete with actual game mechanics made a decade ago lmao

It's at 1h 51 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ7HC5o1Lis&t=6659s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah Wing Commander was definitely a really big deal among most gamers. Not the hardcore sim crowd but everyone else. I still remember this dude in my art class giving me a pile of floppies to install it

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

edited, thanks!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Patrat posted:

How did he ever manage to sell himself as being a Big Deal?

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia during a mid-age crisis.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Chris almighty, why the gently caress do they have to use that rendered POS of a menu? They could, I don't know, have a hotkey, such as 'E', that grabs the thing/opens a context menu where you can then tap 'E' again to pick it up (since apparently all you do in SC is carry some goddamn boxes around).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Star Citizen: [thread title edited by CIG moderation]

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen is good [Edited by CIG Moderation]

efb

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

That reminds me. Where'd BNBL go to.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

TheAgent posted:

It's that time of year again, folks! Let's do some numbers:

Total in 2012: $7,226,318
Total in 2013: $28,446,117
Total in 2014: $32,933,205
Total in 2015: $35,961,202
Total in 2016: $36,100,538
Total in 2017: $34,912,412
Total in 2018: $37,759,020
Total in 2019 (to date): $27,580,617

CIG has less than two months to make $10m+.

Usually CitizenCon is in October and the Anniversary Sale is in late November, but right now they on the same day: November 23rd. No idea how this will impact funding.

2018's CitizenCon Sale total: $4,123,565
2018's Anniversary Sale total: $9,172,592

Reminder: according to CIG, they burn $50m+ a year. Without the Calder investment, they would have been sunk around Q2/Q3 2018. If additional revenue isn't secured -- either by a product release or additional investment -- they'll be out of money (again) by Q1/Q2 2021. And that's with funding continuing to hit the ~$35m/yr mark.

Wait why would you ever try and merge two successful sales into one ??? Perhaps Sandi and her black hand of marketing has touched our favorite sales.

I mean all things being equal and CR whips the Faithfull into a frenzy I can't see them doing 15 mil at citcon alone, unless he really gets the whales salivating.

Sir put me down for $11,836,481

2018 - Peak whale oil

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is Death Stranding worth charging my ps4 controller for?

I don't feel like looking for the cable.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizen: [Thread written by Hideo Kojima, produced by Hideo Kojima, Hideo Kojima, Edited by CIG moderation]

All kinds of nightmares tbh.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/open-world-pvp/2233401

quote:

The Best drat Space Sim Ever is intended to be more cerebral than run-of-the-mill shooters. This usually attracts a more mature and sophisticated type of player.

:homebrew:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lladre posted:

Is Death Stranding worth charging my ps4 controller for?

I don't feel like looking for the cable.

I've played a bit of it, but I nodded off while doing the first walking section. So technically, I 'sleep walked' a bit while playing it. Not sure I'd recommend. :thumbsup:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
lol reddit talking about normies

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Okay, I thought they share ideas how they are going to deal with the misinformation and desinformation that the SC communities spread.
Because that obviuosly hurts the SC project if anything?

Chris Roberts was caught beeing a liar about dates and the project status, several times, even called out by "pro" SC sites.

SC reddit: He did not lie!

Calling a liar not a liar is...misinformation? Or desinfomation?
Defending broken mechanics that can't compete with 2009 games is misinformation? Or desinformation?

And what do the commandos think of that: https://scfocus.org/star-citizen-myths/
Reality? lol

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

failure makes a great point in this video about wormhole sizes.
are CInotG going to have a size limit on which ships you can take through those wormholes?

it wouldn't surprise me in the least, they tie all of their other crap to specific ships

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

That thread is comedy gold. TLDR

Single player console games will look better than SC because star citizen is an MMO

SC has to dumb down the graphics to get a wider group of people play

When SC has a grass planet it will look better

It's alpha and cannot be compared a finished game

We all knew console games would look better but it's ok because they don't have whole planets.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.PayDay posted:

[video type="youtube" start="6659"]EQ7HC5o1Lis[/video
Around 1 hour 51 Minutes. Just watch his attempts of grabbing the box. Just WATCH it and wipe away your tears of sadness or laughter. It's a proof of everything we wrote in these threads.

edit: thx Goon Sanya Juutilainen

This is a pro-click. Truly the most exciting box gameplay ever, and I am being serious.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1194295208390930432
https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1194548442258903041

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

That reminds me. Where'd BNBL go to.

/Mirificus summon "Big Nipples Big Life" -t 10h -p 0

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is it normal for game companies to do this much public recruitment?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Mr.PayDay posted:

We are so close!

There is something about this that reminds me of Todd Howard hyping up the Radiant AI for Oblivion.

The joke here is that the Radiant AI didn't work, and ended up creating a lot unintentional comedy. Much like Star Citizer.

History repeats itself, time is a cube, etc...

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

And what do the commandos think of that: https://scfocus.org/star-citizen-myths/
Reality? lol

I don't get that site...like it's so unhinged.

Half of his myths he just states the facts and slaps myth on the end all calls that a convincing argument.

Some people said CR lied about release dates but that's a myth

Some people think gravity pulls things towards earth 9.8m/s MYTH.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

This is a pro-click. Truly the most exciting box gameplay ever, and I am being serious.

There is nothing hidden, there is no "secret PTU" where the commandos can claim "woah, we can play the jesus patch, it all WORKS, just wait, NDA here, not gonna spoil the BDSSE".

The failure is visible. You can watch and PLAY the PTU and all it's bugs and glitches that they could not get rid of since 1500+ days.
1500+ days of pre alpha tech demo bugs and glitches in the 8th year and 300 Million burned.

Please let the local installed demo & inengine.avi-CON with their conartist be a success with another 10+million of fresh cash.
This deaster may not stop, the aftermath gets funnier the more money they sink

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Quavers posted:

SomethingJones was cool too, but the project broke his mind :saddowns:

There was some painful discussion, after which he stopped posting.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

:lol:

How long before they get to the point where they turn up in maternity wards trying to flog off positions at CInotG to the 'recently birthed' future software developers?

I mean, it just seems 'wrong' to me to be going into educational facilities where students have no life experience and trying to slyly sneak out advertisment for an unmade product while also recruiting said younglings. It seems, scummy, which I guess is CInotG's favored strategy for just about everything.

They may as well just write on their twatter page "Hey, look at all this stuff we sell that doesn't exist, come work for us before your moral compass develops or at least before you see how others actually make real things"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.PayDay posted:

There is nothing hidden, there is no "secret PTU" where the commandos can claim "woah, we can play the jesus patch, it all WORKS, just wait, NDA here, not gonna spoil the BDSSE".

The failure is visible. You can watch and PLAY the PTU and all it's bugs and glitches that they could not get rid of since 1500+ days.
1500+ days of pre alpha tech demo bugs and glitches in the 8th year and 300 Million burned.

You say bugs and glitches you cuntiflas but I can see the riveting, cerebral box-acquisition gameplay that makes you think outside the box. (get it? outside the box? wakka wakka)

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/open-world-pvp/2233401

quote:

The Best drat Space Sim Ever is intended to be more cerebral than run-of-the-mill shooters. This usually attracts a more mature and sophisticated type of player.

:homebrew:

just another way to write "It's not meant to be fun", innit