Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm glad I'm not the only one baffled by Swanna's exclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Live Free posted:

drat b how many Pokemon are obtainable in that game

Well I got 'er hooked up to my bank with a complete national up to Gen V, so I guess 721 baby oh yeah.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't understand the hate for James Turner. Everything he's designed has been gold and that includes the silly sentient ice cream creature. Vullaby using a skull as a diaper and Mandibuzz using the mandible of another skull as an apron is goddamn inspired. Golurk is a perfect Ancient Giant Robo ghost. Everyone loves the spooky haunted tree and he blessed us with the immaculate perfection that is Buzzwole. I won't hear a word against him. :colbert:

Also he has my dream job and I may be jealous.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't understand the hate for James Turner. Everything he's designed has been gold and that includes the silly sentient ice cream creature. Vullaby using a skull as a diaper and Mandibuzz using the mandible of another skull as an apron is goddamn inspired. Golurk is a perfect Ancient Giant Robo ghost. Everyone loves the spooky haunted tree and he blessed us with the perfection that is Buzzwole. I won't hear a word against him. :colbert:

Also he has my dream job and I may be jealous.

He's the art director for Sword/Shield so he's an easy target for people wanting to lash out at someone.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He also has a strong twitter presence and is one of the few Game Freak employees that speaks English.

So it doesn’t matter that his job has nothing to do with the decisions people dislike, of course.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the art design is the least objectionable thing about Swsh. The technical implementation of the art often leaves something to be desired, but the design is great, on both the mons and the world.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Everyone loves the monsters themselves, that's part of why people are so torn up over dexit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Expect for the ice cone. :colbert:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Especially the ice cone. :colbert:

I agree. the Vanilluxe family is fantastic.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I think some people are mad at the art direction SHIFT. It’s definitely a tad less old school anime than early Sugimori and has a more western feel.

I like a lot of his designs, personally. Mandibuzz kicks rear end.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zuzie posted:

I agree. the Vanilluxe family is fantastic.

A Vanillish, half a cup of milk, a pump or two of syrup, and two minutes in the blender and you've got yourself a fantastic frappe.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zuzie posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one baffled by Swanna's exclusion.

Well you can't have trainers owning swans in Galah, see, because her maj owns them all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

extra row of teeth posted:

I think some people are mad at the art direction SHIFT. It’s definitely a tad less old school anime than early Sugimori and has a more western feel.

I like a lot of his designs, personally. Mandibuzz kicks rear end.

Given the last three generations have been western settings (NYC, France, Hawaii), that may have been influencing that.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
reviews are going up across the big sites now

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

IGN 9.3

Saying its best game in entire series

Wendell
May 11, 2003

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-the-cliffs-of-snov/1900-6417363/

In collecting, battling, and exploring, Sword and Shield cut out the bloat and focus on what makes these pillars of the Pokemon games so captivating in the first place. You're not held back by overly complicated back-end systems or hoops to jump through; from the outset, you can start wandering the Galar region, seeing its new Pokemon, and trying out its new battle strategies with very little in your way. This leaves you free to enjoy what Pokemon is all about, and that makes for an incredibly strong showing for the series' proper debut on Switch.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-13-pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-a-shadow-of-a-former-great

What is intended as a great, Breath of the Wild step forward quickly turns to two giant leaps back, and with these games that sad irony is everywhere. Pokémon Sword and Shield project a sense of scale and ambition far beyond any previous ones in the series, but to take it back to those gargantuan new Dynamax forms, the size is merely a shadow. A shallow projection, in place of the real thing.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/13/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield are closer to my dream Pokemon RPGs than anything that’s come before. I’d still like better cutscenes, companion Pokemon, the complete Pokedex, and a more visually interesting Wild Area, but nitpicks are just not very effective when everything else was such a complete joy to play. The way they respect my time is wonderful, and the removal of monotony from random encounters and other odds and ends distills it down to only the pure and charming fun of capturing, training, and battling wonderful creatures. And hey, if I’m missing any tedious repetition, I can always get back into breeding.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Best starters of any generation. Shame about how Grookey turned out, but the other 2 are gold.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I told yall it's the best one in the series

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

IGN 9.3

methinks someone used pay day :twisted:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

IGN 9.3

I'm excited. The only Twitter/Reddit meltdown that's better than "game everyone is hype for gets bad reviews" is "game everyone is mad about gets good reviews".

Anyways, I'm excited for the new Pokemon. Some of the changes look dumb but they also look like stuff I won't actually care about while I'm actively playing the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Looks like everyone that matters is giving it high praise, apart from Eurogamer.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I've played and liked the last couple gens and might talk myself into getting this one this weekend but good God is the stuff on twitter making me glad I don't interact with the series' fanbase (no offense to y'all).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Wendell posted:

Looks like everyone that matters is giving it high praise, apart from Eurogamer.

I was expecting Eurogamer to give out a recommended at least but it was a fair but very damning review, it was enough to make me reconsider my own pre-order and cancel it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hammerite posted:

Best starters of any generation. Shame about how Grookey turned out, but the other 2 are gold.

excuse me you leave giant fuckin hippie drum monkey out of this because he rules

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wendell posted:

Yea pretty much, Eurogamer's review was good despite me disagreeing with a lot of it so at least the one (so far) kinda bucking the grain review is a fairly well written one and not just "#GAMEFREAK LIED DEXIT KILLED MY FAMILY" poo poo like you'd see on reddit.

I think the big divide is gonna be that a lot of fans expected some radical leap forward due to the platform shift, and I also wish they were bolder with this gen, but...GF never really promised anything like 'it's gonna be BotW, but with pokemans!'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wendell posted:

The national dex folk (now apparently the GameFreakLied folk?) is saying GameFreak paid them off so I'm pretty sure the game is actually bad

Hammerite posted:

I like all the base forms, but none of their final evos do it for me. I might just have a team without a starter for the first time because so many of the other Pokemon this gen are just leagues better than the starters

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I think the big divide is gonna be that a lot of fans expected some radical leap forward due to the platform shift, and I also wish they were bolder with this gen, but...GF never really promised anything like 'it's gonna be BotW, but with pokemans!'

They literally promised that "The game after Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are going to be more like a traditional Pokemon game", and they delivered on it. Kind of.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I was expecting Eurogamer to give out a recommended at least but it was a fair but very damning review, it was enough to make me reconsider my own pre-order and cancel it.

Yeah, holy poo poo Eurogamer was not impressed.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad reviews are generally positive. Might remind people that a game can still be perfectly playable even if it isn't perfect and doesn't appease their every demand.

Macaluso posted:

The national dex folk (now apparently the GameFreakLied folk?) is saying GameFreak paid them off so I'm pretty sure the game is actually bad

:nallears:

Some people are impossible to satisfy and tantrum out the hardest

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

Yea pretty much, Eurogamer's review was good despite me disagreeing with a lot of it so at least the one (so far) kinda bucking the grain review is a fairly well written one and not just "#GAMEFREAK LIED DEXIT KILLED MY FAMILY" poo poo like you'd see on reddit.

Eurogamers review is pretty much what I expected. Correctly points the flaws and shallowness but concludes that it’s Pokemon on the Switch and for many that’s all this needs to be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though it seems that Eurogamer only did the easy Max Raid Battles.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zuzie posted:

They literally promised that "The game after Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are going to be more like a traditional Pokemon game", and they delivered on it. Kind of.

Yea I mean I DO wish they did more, I'd love if they shifted from this yearly mainline release thing because I do feel it's hurting the game and all, but yea they said 'yep this is gonna be a normal pokemon game after so many of you had meltdowns about Let's Go, don't worry' and now...It's a normal pokemon game?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Goddamn this is like the last bastion on the internet that isn’t venomously negative about the games. At least it’s made avoiding spoilers a little easier :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: pokemon gens are the new star trek movie rule :v:

At least the first releases in a given one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is who wrote Gamespot’s 9/10 review:

https://twitter.com/inkydojikko/status/1193997295886299136

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
She's right

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wait they took out companion pokemon???

This is the final straw, I'm gonna hold off on preordering for an EXTRA HOUR

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wait they took out companion pokemon???

This is the final straw, I'm gonna hold off on preordering for an EXTRA HOUR

Buddy you can’t even ride the pokemon anymore.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

shes right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buddy you can’t even ride the pokemon anymore.

this is probably the worst thing about the game