Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hypnophant posted:

Definitely lovely behavior. Completely lacking in anything that could be described as "storming," though

peaceful, gentle invasions of state buildings

calm, reasonable requests for democratically elected leaders to surrender

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

peaceful, gentle invasions of state buildings

calm, reasonable requests for democratically elected leaders to surrender

democratically elected* in a rigged election
surrender* while not being arrested or sought for arrest

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

They're in the palace because they're police and they're securing a government building after the previous occupant resigned and fled the country

I've already said a coup is when a party acts outside the law in order to gain or hold on to power, as Morales was attempting to do by rigging the election

The Bolivian constitutional court said the term limit didn't apply, so nothing he did was outside the law. What is not legal is the military telling presidents to leave

Speaking of things that aren't legal

https://twitter.com/chrisbolivia/status/1194408394054090762?s=21

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh gently caress off

Why are we telling each other to gently caress off in here? Is this the new "I disagree with you but am too lazy to actually write an effort post" reply?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

democratically elected* in a rigged election
surrender* while not being arrested or sought for arrest

Hillary Clinton won the 2016 election if we're going to ignore other country's internal laws.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

The Bolivian constitutional court said the term limit didn't apply, so nothing he did was outside the law. What is not legal is the military telling presidents to leave

Ah, so the court also allowed him to manipulate the vote to avoid the runoff he likely would have lost

I'm fine, now that I understand

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Ah, so the court also allowed him to manipulate the vote to avoid the runoff he likely would have lost

If he was going to lose the runoff then why did he agree to it. and then why did the military kick him out anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Vote tallying hadn't even finished though?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

If he was going to lose the runoff then why did he agree to it. and then why did the military kick him out anyway.

Respectively, three weeks of protests that made it clear he wasn't going to be able to continue to refuse it, and a lack of trust in both the populace and the government that this time he would allow free and fair elections, honest

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

Most of, if not all, dispensaries in AZ give you 10-20% off with a VA ID, they had some nice sales for vets yesterday too. Turns out a lot of our problems go away if you just smoke some pot at them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Guy barging in to post about how actually the coup is cool and good with no previous post history in the thread :discourse:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Why are we telling each other to gently caress off in here? Is this the new "I disagree with you but am too lazy to actually write an effort post" reply?

It's not new, but yeah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JohnnyHardcore posted:

Most of, if not all, dispensaries in AZ give you 10-20% off with a VA ID, they had some nice sales for vets yesterday too. Turns out a lot of our problems go away if you just smoke some pot at them.

It's the active duty part of the ad that's funny.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
I just saw "Retired", my eyes can apparently no longer read that collection of letters and register it as "active duty"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
They're not saying C-I-A, they're saying C-I-Hey!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hypnophant posted:

what are some ways he manipulated the vote?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

JohnnyHardcore posted:

I think it's the Active Duty discount that caused the :wtc:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If people in the military have trouble understanding federal and state jurisdictions, I don't expect anything better out of whomever has release authority on advertisement graphics at a weed store.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hypnophant posted:

Please post any evidence at all, even evidence the OAS has presented, that the elections were rigged. The official result (Morales wins outright with less than 50% of votes but a >10 point lead) matches 5 out of 6 pre-election polls. That Morales extended his lead from the quick count to the final tally isn't surprising, either, because the rural areas that constitute Morales's base reported last. Nor was Morales legally required to support a runoff election, but he did anyway and was still forced out by the military.

The status quo is that a right-wing party that received — by their own calculation — less than 40% of the vote and fewer votes than MAS has been handed power by their supporters in the military and urban police, without a runoff election. You tell me why this is preferable to a runoff election with Morales on the ballot.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 13, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A wise man once said don’t argue with fools, because from a distance you can’t tell who is who.

Everyone participating in this argument looks foolish.. I’ve seen a dozen posts asking for evidence of I don’t know what. You’re not getting your evidence.

Have this instead:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1194375333048438790?s=21

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

colachute posted:

A wise man once said don’t argue with fools, because from a distance you can’t tell who is who.

Everyone participating in this argument looks foolish.. I’ve seen a dozen posts asking for evidence of I don’t know what. You’re not getting your evidence.

gently caress off, cole

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

gently caress off, cole

This is a good microcosm of the posting quality of the last two pages. Keep it up.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

colachute posted:

This is a good microcosm of the posting quality of the last two pages. Keep it up.

I posted a serious argument, and you replied to say that just arguing at all makes you look stupid, so I thought I would switch it up

Good to know that the only valid position is the one where I don't know poo poo, don't want to know poo poo, and mock people who do

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I posted a serious argument, and you replied to say that just arguing at all makes you look stupid, so I thought I would switch it up

Post the evidence. Any evidence. If you don’t imma ask you again in two pages.

https://twitter.com/scmphongkong/status/1194517157331161088?s=21

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

colachute posted:

quote:

The official result (Morales wins outright with less than 50% of votes but a >10 point lead) matches 5 out of 6 pre-election polls.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

drat, do you do what everyone trolling you says? I was mocking you lol

https://twitter.com/nuova_venezia/status/1194171786671341568?s=21

That’s 57 inches, a new record! Numbers go up, global warming good?

colachute fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 13, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
gently caress off, cole

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

colachute posted:

Have this instead:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1194375333048438790?s=21

How come your bars open so late?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Man imagine if a bunch of guys from a group that has been found recently to be engaged in voter suppression crashed meetings in the capitol building that they weren't allowed to attend? And then those same guys, part of a diminishing ethnic group and hailing from districts whose very designation was determined by a legally contested process, burst into a secure compartmentalized information facility with cell phones in an attempt to undermine a legal process for investigating the leader of their party.

We should let the USA intervene in this type of shenanigans, it seems pretty freaking corrupt and questionable why some of these guys are even in power.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Flying_Crab posted:

How come your bars open so late?

Execs people typically make their appearances in the office in the morning before ducking out for happy hour.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Man imagine if a bunch of guys from a group that has been found recently to be engaged in voter suppression crashed meetings in the capitol building that they weren't allowed to attend? And then those same guys, part of a diminishing ethnic group and hailing from districts whose very designation was determined by a legally contested process, burst into a secure compartmentalized information facility with cell phones in an attempt to undermine a legal process for investigating the leader of their party.

We should let the USA intervene in this type of shenanigans, it seems pretty freaking corrupt and questionable why some of these guys are even in power.

I agree- the US shouldn’t let this banana republic bullshit stand in the Western Hemisphere.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

colachute posted:

https://twitter.com/scmphongkong/status/1194517157331161088?s=21

Des Voeux road is like where all the big money laundering banks are, rad

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Weird that the news never mentioned this at all

https://bbackdoors.wordpress.com/

quote:

Some day ago I published some information and evidence (audio) about the coup, which is about to enter its final phase.
Today I seek to enlarge a little on what can happen in next days.
What I advanced in the article “US hands against Bolivia. Part I”, is already almost a fact: If Evo Morales wins the elections, the next october 20, a civic-military transition government will be put in its place. This new Government would not recognize Evo’s electoral win and would allege fraud during the elections.

October 19th

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m probably the closest person to “conservative” on this sub forum. And I’ve never voted Republican, I just have an insatiable lust for Slavic and Terrorist blood and a true desire to see nukes at least go back into testing so we can see 4K HDR nuclear explosions. If they’re over Moscow or Riyadh, all the better.

I mean, I have voted for republicans because I was young and stupid (see also enlisting), but I got better(ish).

But "only votes for Democrats (or non-Republicans)" is not the metric by which you measure whether someone is a leftist by.

My point is there are actual disagreements on what "good things" are in GIP. It's not just virtue signaling or purity testing or whatever the current buzzword is for leftists disagreeing with centrists.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Please post any evidence at all, even evidence the OAS has presented, that the elections were rigged. The official result (Morales wins outright with less than 50% of votes but a >10 point lead) matches 5 out of 6 pre-election polls. That Morales extended his lead from the quick count to the final tally isn't surprising, either, because the rural areas that constitute Morales's base reported last. Nor was Morales legally required to support a runoff election, but he did anyway and was still forced out by the military.

The OAS report is extremely clear and I'm not sure why the report of a neutral, international expert team of auditors would apparently carry less weight with you than the word of the supporters of the man who has gone to extraordinary lengths to stay in office past the constitutional term limit, but it's there in black and white if you want to actually address it. In any event, the report found: "forged signatures and alteration of tally sheets, deficient chain of custody, flawed transmission systems for both preliminary election results and the final count," and in anticipation of your argument, the team specifically looked at both the initial count and the official count and found the trend in the last 5% of the vote "highly unlikely."

quote:

Consequently, there are two especially interesting moments in this election. First, the moment when processing of the tallies reaches 81%, just before the TSE stops reporting progress with the vote count. That is the moment when an abnormal number of tally sheets are uploaded in the TREP system, coming from a server that was unknown at the time.
The second is a number of statistical charts showing the marked departure in trends before and after the count was stopped. I'm sure Morales supporters can point to simple explanations for why this change occurred, and why the stop count was necessary for perfectly innocent reasons; I don't have to judge those explanations myself, though, because neither the OAS team nor the Bolivian protesters appear to have found them convincing enough to address.

quote:

The status quo is that a right-wing party that received — by their own calculation — less than 40% of the vote and fewer votes than MAS has been handed power by their supporters in the military and urban police, without a runoff election. You tell me why this is preferable to a runoff election with Morales on the ballot.

It's not clear that anyone has been "handed power." Most of Morales's cabinet, including everyone in the designated chain of succession, had resigned prior to his leaving office, and there's a great deal of ambiguity over who now has authority to even set up a new election. This situation presumably could have been avoided, had Morales followed the constitution he himself helped establish over a decade ago, and left office at the end of his second term under the new constitution. Instead, he chose to contest for an additional term. Is Morales the only leftist politician in Bolivia? Is there some reason he was unable to find a successor who could carry on his work without violating the constitution he himself established? Why take such extraordinary lengths to stay in power when it was clear early on that doing so would undermine his own legacy and embolden the right-wing opposition?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

bird cooch posted:

There's a lot of folks who misconstrue an understanding of how a candidate can seem appealing (discussion on buttigieg, Biden, et El) and approval for said candidate.

The same thing happened with Clinton. Debunking bullshit ment you were a supporter, not just someone who actually read the article.

(Edit: I also have enough personal experience with Russia and it's citizens to want nothing but the worst for them)

I'm talking about people who are like, "I'm not sure I want buttigieg for president, but we absolutely need the guy who put out a book in 2019 deriding Iraq war protesters as clueless hippies who don't understand how the world works in future administrations."

I'm both trying not to be lovely by singling out particular individuals, and also I don't keep like lists of everyone's lovely posts or political opinions, but no it's not that all GIP leftists (or just me) are dummies who don't understand nuance.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

when is the US gonna para drop m16s and LAWs into HK

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Also I hope the both of you are just trolling with your hard man "watching millions of civilians die would be awesome because they're our nation's geopolitical enemies(or should be, in the case of the Saudis), hyuck hyuck" because that poo poo is loving gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crakkerjakk posted:

Also I hope the both of you are just trolling with your hard man "watching millions of civilians die would be awesome because they're our nation's geopolitical enemies(or should be, in the case of the Saudis), hyuck hyuck" because that poo poo is loving gross.

Better they die in Russia and Saudi Arabia than say Ukraine and Yemen.