Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ugh, McCluskey piping up about keeping restrictions on freedom of movement which hopefully Corbyn will ignore. Unions own but their leadership are almost poo poo to the man.

Also stop engaging the stupid SWERF tankie who thinks that women don't know what's best for them

E: here's your page snipe: gently caress SWERFs they're a gnat's fart from TERFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That doesn't say ban it. That says create the conditions for sex work not to exist, despite the necessary continuation of work as a system. Also arm sex workers and let them kill johns.

Sex work will always exist because there will always be a demand for it and there will always be a supply for it. Even in full luxury gay space communism sex work is one of the kinds of work that would still exist because it fulfils desires that people don't have fulfilled in their day to day relationships. Nothing will ever eradicate it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jose posted:

Sex work is work and therefore should be unionised and the means of production owned by the workers

well okay but how does that work practically

i'm just genuinely curious about the union idea because it seems like a good fix but nothing i've read about it really deals with the collective bargaining necessary to unionise vs the highly individualised and other aspects unique to sw

i mean i guess a contract and salary would be priority 1 but who is the contract with? who pays the salary? what happens if someone interviews and gets the job but can't draw business because they won't do certain things or johns don't find them attractive?

not trying to be an arsehole, i just find it really interesting and challenging, that's why i ask.

edit: i mean agree with rarity that there probably will always be demand for but i'm not sure where you go from there. like there will always be a demand for all kinds of sex work and other work that i'm sure we all agree shouldn't be fulfilled and some of which is right to be outright illegal.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 13, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

buddy ain't you heard of a sex strike

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

u've been on one for years lmao

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That doesn't say ban it. That says create the conditions for sex work not to exist, despite the necessary continuation of work as a system. Also arm sex workers and let them kill johns.

This comment indicates that you hold as a value that sex work should not exist; that sex work not existing is a desirable state. This is not a value you share with the people arguing with you here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

well okay but how does that work practically

i'm just genuinely curious about the union idea because it seems like a good fix but nothing i've read about it really deals with the collective bargaining necessary to unionise vs the highly individualised and other aspects unique to sw

i mean i guess a contract and salary would be priority 1 but who is the contract with? who pays the salary? what happens if someone interviews and gets the job but can't draw business because they won't do certain things or johns don't find them attractive?

not trying to be an arsehole, i just find it really interesting and challenging, that's why i ask.

A lot of the reason it's highly individualized is because the law deliberately works to prevent sex workers organizing or working together. If two sex workers live in the same house and use their phones to book appointments, that's then a brothel and the government goes after it, even though technically exhanging money for sex is not illegal in the UK.

Workers often would rather work together for safety, or include bouncers etc, formally or informally, but all of that is deliberately broken up by the government because legislation is almost 100% aimed at punishing women rather than improving safety.

This is a big argument for collectivization, because it's so heavily prevented right now that if you have any faith in workers at all (and you should) there's room for vast improvements to be made under their own power, if the government would stop trying to get them killed for doing it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Genuinely can't wait for this shithead to be identified so we can all see they are not actually Jewish and are probably Paul Staines

Gnasherjew has been identified, hasn't it? It's a shared account and I'm sure I've seen at least one contributor named.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Rarity posted:

Sex work will always exist because there will always be a demand for it and there will always be a supply for it. Even in full luxury gay space communism sex work is one of the kinds of work that would still exist because it fulfils desires that people don't have fulfilled in their day to day relationships. Nothing will ever eradicate it.

Oldest profession etc etc

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jedit posted:

Gnasherjew has been identified, hasn't it? It's a shared account and I'm sure I've seen at least one contributor named.

it's the same bunch of cranks and MI5 cunts who are behind phillip cross and part of the bloodworth/toube/paul canning set isn't it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wish I could be a sex worker. Fed up cleaning noses and arguing with ED patients. Gimmie a full shift's pay in an hour of wanking off a business man who cries because his wife loves him.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://mobile.twitter.com/theipaper/status/1194578152112185344

"Griffiths said her “first priority” would be to support Boris Johnson"

Taking a hard stance on sex pest male politicians clearly.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Josef bugman posted:

I mean it would hopefully mean I don't get yelled at as much, which would be nice.

An armed restaurant is a polite restaurant :freep:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of the reason it's highly individualized is because the law deliberately works to prevent sex workers organizing or working together. If two sex workers live in the same house and use their phones to book appointments, that's then a brothel and the government goes after it, even though technically exhanging money for sex is not illegal in the UK.

Workers often would rather work together for safety, or include bouncers etc, formally or informally, but all of that is deliberately broken up by the government because legislation is almost 100% aimed at punishing women rather than improving safety.

This is a big argument for collectivization, because it's so heavily prevented right now that if you have any faith in workers at all (and you should) there's room for vast improvements to be made under their own power, if the government would stop trying to get them killed for doing it.

oh sure, i get all that. i am coming at it from the same place of harm reduction, which i guess is why i can sound quite cranky about it. not my intention! but i do think there need to be extremely strict, hard and fast, one-strike rules and regulations to make it even halfway feasible to work. so strict vetting, compensation for workers who don't succeed, strict sentences for slavers and rapists etc.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Rarity posted:

It's completely hosed that anarchists are able to imagine a world without work more easily than they can imagine a world where gender has been abolished.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This has to lead to a meme, right?

https://twitter.com/chelleryn99/status/1194597370471862272?s=19

Glad to see this sort of thing, we need to make sure the Lib Dems own what they did in coalition.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

oh sure, i get all that. i am coming at it from the same place of harm reduction, which i guess is why i can sound quite cranky about it. not my intention! but i do think there need to be extremely strict, hard and fast, one-strike rules and regulations to make it even halfway feasible to work. so strict vetting, compensation for workers who don't succeed, strict sentences for slavers and rapists etc.

I would rather see any recommendations for legislation come from a well organized union rather than people not involved in the trade deciding for the workers what is best for them.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's completely hosed that anarchists are able to imagine a world without work more easily than they can imagine a world where gender has been abolished.

I can imagine a world without gender quite easily but I don't see why people would stop wanting to have sex in it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Aaaand there's the TERF.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

OwlFancier posted:

I can imagine a world without gender quite easily but I don't see why people would stop wanting to have sex in it.

They wouldn't? Sex work is gendered violence, not sex.

Tenebrais posted:

Aaaand there's the TERF.

I'm a trans woman. Our liberation is only possible through the complete abolition of gender.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How does that work with say, same sex sex work?

E: Or should that be same gender sex work now rather?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

Fuckbots though

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lord of the Llamas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/theipaper/status/1194578152112185344

"Griffiths said her “first priority” would be to support Boris Johnson"

Taking a hard stance on sex pest male politicians clearly.

https://twitter.com/BBCChrisD/status/1194570698674638849

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm a trans woman. Our liberation is only possible through the complete abolition of gender.

Is it gendered violence? Could you explain that please?

Wait, I am not particularly good at these things, but how does one completely abolish gender?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Emotional support fleshlight, can use it in public.

You don’t unless you want to abolish science and fact altogether. They have to exist in unison and that’s not really hard to do, you just have people who are unwilling to accept change, as with everything.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally gender abolition either means "everyone turns into identical featureless humans" or "everyone's presenting however they want so that presentation has no discernable correlation to one's body features so the structures of gender are rendered nonsensical"

The latter one is an appealing vision of the future imo. The former isn't necessarily bad but I don't see how you get there.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Diet Crack posted:

Emotional support fleshlight, can use it in public.

Oh dear lord.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't stop you being a TERF or parroting TERF poo poo, and big shock it's gone hand in hand with SWERF stuff.

Also let's not pretend like the abolition of gender is an agreed goal of the trans community; it's specifically very important to some of us.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm trans too so you can put the transphobia card away right the hell now.

gently caress off, tankie.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I would rather see any recommendations for legislation come from a well organized union rather than people not involved in the trade deciding for the workers what is best for them.

sure but the recommendations would still need to be discussed and considered within a broader social context you know? i mean like with anything there will be some things that are just complete non-starters because they aren't feasible or conflict with existing laws or something.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Josef bugman posted:

Is it gendered violence? Could you explain that please?

Wait, I am not particularly good at these things, but how does one completely abolish gender?

Please someone better qualified in gender studies correct me if I’m wrong, but as gender is a social construct, in similar ways to how race is a social construct, it’s not an empirical truth that has to be recognised that genders (or races) actually have any meaning other than what we give them. This then, I’m assuming, feeds into the power structures inherit in classification and othering of people.

That’s my incredibly simplistic take on what is meant here, again please correct me if I’m wrong.

E: Others have put it better than I have above, thanks peeps!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

OwlFancier posted:

How does that work with say, same sex sex work?

E: Or should that be same gender sex work now rather?

Through the historical construction of homosexuality as inherently feminine. And the hyper-fetishisation of lesbianism should be obvious.

I should clarify it's not just the client enacting that gendered violence. It's the construction of a gendered division of labour as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mfcrocker posted:

Doesn't stop you being a TERF or parroting TERF poo poo, and big shock it's gone hand in hand with SWERF stuff.

Also let's not pretend like the abolition of gender is an agreed goal of the trans community; it's specifically very important to some of us.

And abolish gender has been a smokescreen cry of TERFs for years and years, because the way they see it when gender doesn't exist neither do trans people. Basically reducing gender dysphoria down to just clothing and presentation.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Coding chat:
If I were assembling a toolbelt of languages today for a rounded set of tools for most/any problem I'd probably be picking:

JS (or some derivative like TypeScript), this most certainly isn't going anywhere in the web app/SPA space

Python, is widely used for a number of purposes from web apps/APIs, backend processing, machine learning/AI and other data processing, science and education and is seen a lot in devops circles

C#, I used to recommend Java in this slot as this is my "can usually find some enterprise level job looking for Java people" but mono/.net/C# has come far enough now that I'm starting to pick it up for myself for this need and so gently caress Oracle and all who sail in her

Elixir, more niche but very versatile for real time web apps, event driven messaging, distributed micro services etc

Maybe PHP if you really want to slug it out in some loving horrific code mines but can usually find a job but I wouldn't go for this first as it's a god awful entry point for coding and I'll die on this hill.

I've skipped any Hot New Things/node.js/Kafka as I've little exposure to them/haven't needed any (yet).

Read up on paradigms as well. People have said things like "data structures/algorithms are cool and all, but..." where I'd disagree. Getting your head around some of the key fundamentals, even at a higher level (intro to data structures, intro to algorithms) will help you make better choices when reaching for a language, or a language feature, to solve a problem.

Read up on paradigms but don't get dogma'd into any of them. An understanding of OOP is very useful as it's in use everywhere but it has a great many flaws and in modern coding often isn't the right approach for a task at hand. A reason I am a big fan of Python is I'm not forced to reach for classes/methods if I just need name space separation for what are otherwise a handful of functions that work on the same/similar data, I can just use a module.

Don't get too hung up on which language you start out with though, pick up whichever one at a cursory glance of some code scares you the least when it comes to trying to read it. This usually leads many to Python but others start with shell scripts with things like bash, which is perfectly valid for starting out too. The key is reading up on the limitations and criticisms of whatever language you pick (none are perfect but again I caution here to probably not go and pick up PHP first, more on that later) and working within those while you set about whatever you want to do. A language is just a tool for telling a computer how to solve a problem in the way you've decided to solve it. Getting good at the latter will carry you much much further than knowing any one language off by heart. For that there's manuals/reference docs.

My hateboner for PHP, particularly for people going down the self-taught route (and thus less likely to get any grounding in any specific principles to begin with) is it lets you do REALLY stupid things as a developer and get into incredibly bad habits without raising much of a fuss. This has an effect on a lot of developers where they end up sticking with PHP and maybe a little JS but nothing else, because they venture into other languages, try the same poo poo PHP let them get away with and run into a wall of exceptions being pushed over on them from a great height. PHP enables new devs that don't know any better to not need to know any better rather than feeding fast failures when something stupid is (potentially) about to occur.

I highly recommend, once you do pick out a language to start learning with, searching out the generally well respected 3rd party libraries or apps implemented in that language on git hub and as you work through whatever tutorial you find yourself comfortable with (Treehouse have a very good set of Python content, as does Packt in my experience and it's all cheap), explore those projects on github and see how they're written. You won't necessarily understand all of it but things will start to leap out/make sense as you work through the material. Get involved in chat rooms/forums for the language. I can vouch for the Python community here for sure.

A personal recommendation for anyone new to programming, or informally trained is the Think Python book which is free.

PMs are open and I'm on Discord if people want to ask questions as I'm completely self taught and worked in IT for over 20 years in sysadmin/dev/devops/DBA roles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Through the historical construction of homosexuality as inherently feminine.

:thunkher:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

mfcrocker posted:

Alright, explain how gender abolition is TERF poo poo then.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Alright, explain how gender abolition is TERF poo poo then.

njsykora posted:

And abolish gender has been a smokescreen cry of TERFs for years and years, because the way they see it when gender doesn't exist neither do trans people. Basically reducing gender dysphoria down to just clothing and presentation.

Seriously there's no difference in your arguments and those of a Greer or Moore

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Just as a quick aside because I hate that antisemitism baiting account - The hebrew in their name makes no sense. Either translate the word Gnasher into its hebrew world equivalent, or phonetically. They've done neither, since Hebrew doesn't have a silent G and so the ג at the start of the Hebrew (remember, right to left!) makes it read like it has a hard G sound and makes no loving sense.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

it's the same bunch of cranks and MI5 cunts who are behind phillip cross and part of the bloodworth/toube/paul canning set isn't it

Interestingly there's a document here https://www.academia.edu/38139484/The_Mendacity_of_Gnasher_Jew

talking about how Gnasher was one of the first people (alongside Semen Staines of Guido Fawkes) to 'notice' the mural that launched the big stink about anti-Semitism - and notes the timing meant that Corbyn's condemnation of mass slaughter of Palestinians on the March of Return was drowned by the backlash.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Just as a quick aside because I hate that antisemitism baiting account - The hebrew in their name makes no sense. Either translate the word Gnasher into its hebrew world equivalent, or phonetically. They've done neither, since Hebrew doesn't have a silent G and so the ג at the start of the Hebrew (remember, right to left!) makes it read like it has a hard G sound and makes no loving sense.

Ganesha, the Jew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

sure but the recommendations would still need to be discussed and considered within a broader social context you know? i mean like with anything there will be some things that are just complete non-starters because they aren't feasible or conflict with existing laws or something.
The demands of the ECP and most other UK sex work collectives is for decriminalization, that is the removal of any existing punitive laws around sex work while using general laws against rape, abuse, harassment, and assault to protect sex workers, but not legalization, i.e. no state-backed regulatory framework that disproportionately benefits privileged groups. A plurality of the public seems to side with this too when the issue is explained.

The existing laws currently disagree with this. They should change.

You can imagine any end state that you like to this, but that's what the current set of affected workers are asking for, which will create a new set of material conditions where they may ask for something else, so it's the most worthwhile immediate step to pursue.

Miftan posted:

:discourse:

Tesseraction posted:

Ganesha, the Jew
by A. Schopenhauer