Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

mfcrocker posted:

Seriously there's no difference in your arguments and those of a Greer or Moore

Because they literally use it as a smokescreen, a genuine belief in the abolition of gender is now TERF? Are you loving kidding me? We need to continue to promote a violent system of domination and division of labour in order to make sure trans people can be properly recognised in our gender as either abuser or abused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Because they literally use it as a smokescreen, a genuine belief in the abolition of gender is now TERF? Are you loving kidding me? We need to continue to promote a violent system of domination and division of labour in order to make sure trans people can be properly recognised in our gender as either abuser or abused?

You'll understand that, given the rest of your posts today, I'm not exactly intending to give you the benefit of the doubt on it being a genuine belief

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Aphex- posted:

I'm a QA tester and have been trying to learn to code for the past year in quiet periods of my job. I'm learning Python and have written a couple of simple automation scripts. I'd love to get into development but it feels like learning to code is such a slow process. I also don't feel like I've actually learnt much, sure I've written scripts and things that work but it's mostly just finding similar pieces of code by googling the problem, pasting them together and modifying them slightly until they work.

I'm completely fine with the workload and actual job of developers though. As a QA I seem to get a lot more pressure and last minute problems to deal with, I just get paid a lot less than the devs to try and sort them out. I'm definitely going to stick with learning Python though, it is very satisfying to figure out a problem you've been stuck on for ages.

Hi there, I'm LTTP but might be able to help. I'm working as an automation tester, which kinda sounds like what you've started to do with your python scripts.

As people mentioned, what you're doing is pretty much how most coders work anyway. It's a slow process but you don't need to be a genius to get a somewhat entry level dev or test automation job that's likely in my experience to be a hell of a lot more fun, and pay a LOT better than manual testing.

If you like problem solving and swearing at yourself, coding might well be a career for you!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

mfcrocker posted:

You'll understand that, given the rest of your posts today, I'm not exactly intending to give you the benefit of the doubt on it being a genuine belief

Well go gently caress yourself. None of my posts have been disingenuous, you've just disagreed with them.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Spuckuk posted:

Hi there, I'm LTTP but might be able to help. I'm working as an automation tester, which kinda sounds like what you've started to do with your python scripts.

As people mentioned, what you're doing is pretty much how most coders work anyway. It's a slow process but you don't need to be a genius to get a somewhat entry level dev or test automation job that's likely in my experience to be a hell of a lot more fun, and pay a LOT better than manual testing.

If you like problem solving and swearing at yourself, coding might well be a career for you!

Haha yeah problem solving and swearing at myself is pretty much what I've been doing with my code so far! I actually started to learn to code because I kept getting emails from recruiters advertising automation testing positions, and it kind of blew my mind at the salary they were offering. I'm going to set up a github account and just put all these little simple scripts on there and keep doing it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well go gently caress yourself. None of my posts have been disingenuous, you've just disagreed with them.

gently caress off, you tankie swerf

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

CGI Stardust posted:

This is a good and informative post, thank you! It's interesting that as a former Lib Dem you also have no idea what the gently caress they're actually trying to achieve. It's like there's no long-term planning going on, and they haven't got any idea how to achieve what their values are / claim to be (other than Stop Breeeexiiiit)

Couple of things I'm curious about in (3). First, what's the reason that they don't see a backlash from the right after immediate revoke, do they just not consider anything beyond the superficial connections? Second, how does the Lib Dem / climate change intersection work? Surely they're aware that there's going to be a fuckload of upheaval? I'm trying to find their manifesto green policies and, uh, decarbonization by 2045 is a bit limp, all things considered. Just found this from 2017 - love to "Reduce demand using Incentives, taxation, and regulation" for heat in buildings, also I n n o v a t i o n c l u s t e r s

They don't believe revoke will actually happen, it's all tactics.

I think the climate change intersection is based in their history. They used to be anti-nuke and were paying some attention to the environment before Labour and the Conservatives. Green lefties coming up out of CND and similar organisations often joined them during the Blair years when they were under Charlie Kennedy. At that point I would have said their platform was left of Labour, not now.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would you say that you’re an engaging, high-impact poster with a lot to offer?

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
WhiskyWhiskers raises some good points, i'm not sure why you're shouting her down. Gender abolitionism has been a strong point of marxist gender politics for a long time. Heck, even Engels wrote a short and good essay on it, when he was writing about the capitalist construction of the family, which any marxist feminist worth their salt should read https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1884/origin-family/ch05.htm

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Quick reminder to the computer touchers in the thread that you can get involved with Momentum's digital tooling - there's a slack server and everything! If you sign up at https://volunteer.peoplesmomentum.com/multistep you'll get emailed back (there's a bit of a backlog I think someone managed to get hold of a shitload of people recently) with a link inviting you to it. Come hang out in #tech with the rest of the UKMT

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Shakespearean Beef posted:

WhiskyWhiskers raises some good points, i'm not sure why you're shouting her down. Gender abolitionism has been a strong point of marxist gender politics for a long time. Heck, even Engels wrote a short and good essay on it, when he was writing about the capitalist construction of the family, which any marxist feminist worth their salt should read https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1884/origin-family/ch05.htm

Probably due to the utterly dreadful takes on sex work. As I said, after all that poo poo I don't trust them. There's arguments to be made for gender abolitionism but it's not the only approach and needs to be discussed with nuance given how critical gender can be to some trans identities.

Also hi Shakey Beef it's been a while

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Holy moley the arguing with the dumb tankie telling people to read Mao & Stalin is very silly and going no where, isn't it? Imagine being communist and actually thinking nation states were a good idea and your guiding man for that take is Stalin. What a time to be alive.

It's important to remember that as well as being apologists for utterly failed states like the USSR tankies are horrendously regressive on most, if not all, social issues (see rambling about homosexuality being bourgeois degeneracy for example, far too common in those circles) and there's so few of them at this point that it's not even worth wasting your time trying to convert them to a less monstrous outlook. Your time is more valuable than that.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Imagine being communist and actually thinking nation states were a good idea and your guiding man for that take is Stalin. What a time to be alive.

...the 1960s?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you were pretending to be a landlord now shakey? was no one biting

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
landlords can be marxists too. u could say i imagined that i was enthusiastic about lenin, the value form, and the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, until the day of danger wrung from me the confession that i am enthusiastic only about ground rent.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

forkboy84 posted:

Holy moley the arguing with the dumb tankie telling people to read Mao & Stalin is very silly and going no where, isn't it? Imagine being communist and actually thinking nation states were a good idea and your guiding man for that take is Stalin. What a time to be alive.

It's important to remember that as well as being apologists for utterly failed states like the USSR tankies are horrendously regressive on most, if not all, social issues (see rambling about homosexuality being bourgeois degeneracy for example, far too common in those circles) and there's so few of them at this point that it's not even worth wasting your time trying to convert them to a less monstrous outlook. Your time is more valuable than that.

Miftan posted:

...the 1960s?

quote:

'The training schedule was exacting, but occasionally left us time for a little fun. We were 'entertaining' a group of foreign students and trying to lead a Bedouin kind of life in order to politicize our Bedouin population. The students had been attending an international solidarity meeting in Amman held under the auspices of the General union of Palestinian Students. Most were graduates of the 1968 university upheavals in the West. We found it very amusing that they honestly believed they were making a 'revolution' if they undressed in public, seized a university building, or shouted an obscenity at bureaucrats. I was initially opposed and refused to talk to them, even though some believed in violent revolution, because I didn’t want to be another experimental 'guinea-pig' to Westerners.

I finally relented and I am glad I did. I hadn’t met Western 'revolutionaries' before. It turned out they represented an unfamiliar cultural rather than a political phenomenon. Some seemed to have read the history political literature of the left, but most regarded the Marxist-Leninist leaders disdainfully, with the exception of the 'Young Marx,' who held some sort of fascination for revolution. Some Americans were quite serious and believed in the historic mission of the working class and were making plants to integrate themselves with the masses.

What astonished us most about this group was that they were opposed to nationalism, a doctrine we hold dearly as a colonized and dissipated people. Some believed in violence for 'the hell of it' and in students as revolutionary agents of history. But the majority were inclined towards guerrilla theatre as a means of 'making revolution.' They performed a little for us.

As they were departing I was rather struck by a French anarchist student who proclaimed 'Let chaos reign' and by a German who echoed the same sentiment. I exclaimed that the Palestinian people were an example of a society in chaos without authority and leadership, which as a result, was left at the mercy of the Zionist oppressor. I asked them what could they prescribe for us in order to overcome our kind of alienation'--beards, long hair, and toy guns? They merely paused, they smiled, they reflected, they inhaled and passed their joints on in universal wonder."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

what is there to apologise for about a nation that introduced universal sufferage, repelled invasion from a coalition of colonialist paedophiles, raised 10s of millions out of poverty, put the first person in space, and destroyed the nazis, what i ask you

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

landlords can be marxists too. u could say i imagined that i was enthusiastic about lenin, the value form, and the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, until the day of danger wrung from me the confession that i am enthusiastic only about ground rent.

dull, bad. try?

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

CoolCab posted:

dull, bad. try?

if you're going to sign your posts, it usually goes at the end

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

gh0stpinballa posted:

what is there to apologise for about a nation that introduced universal sufferage, repelled invasion from a coalition of colonialist paedophiles, raised 10s of millions out of poverty, put the first person in space, and destroyed the nazis, what i ask you

Commentariat

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1194627641090949120

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

Making their own colonialist paedophile deputy premier wasn't great.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

Making their own colonialist paedophile deputy premier wasn't great.

yes but on the plus side they blew his head off, whereas ours goes to church with his mother the queen every sunday

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

if you're going to sign your posts, it usually goes at the end

even worse, honestly.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bundy posted:

JS (or some derivative like TypeScript), this most certainly isn't going anywhere in the web app/SPA space

I'm going to offer the opinon that learning JS as your first language is a really great way to learn some atrocious coding habits. It's absolutely vital for front-end webdev, but for the love of God, learn it after you have a solid foundation in a language with a strong, static type system.

Bundy posted:

Read up on paradigms as well. People have said things like "data structures/algorithms are cool and all, but..." where I'd disagree. Getting your head around some of the key fundamentals, even at a higher level (intro to data structures, intro to algorithms) will help you make better choices when reaching for a language, or a language feature, to solve a problem.

Agreed. I work with a team at the minute where there just is not a whole lot of knowledge of different types of data structures and it's a definite pain point, both for them and for me, the poor bastard who's being pigeon-holed as the refactoring/optimisation guy.

I'd also recommend looking into higher-order functions like map, filter and reduce. They sound scary, and can look scary sometimes, but they're a) extremely powerful, b) generally applicable, c) usually cleaner than whatever your other solution was going to be, and d) are available in most languages these days.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Alctel posted:

I was in computer server/network/storage for 16 years till I quit and went travelling on my boat.

I haven't done any programming (apart from scripts) since my software engineering HND (lol) but thinking of getting back into it so I can work from my boat in nice places.

C# should be what I concentrate on eh?

just for you, from the 2019 SO survey data

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

gh0stpinballa posted:

yes but on the plus side they blew his head off, whereas ours goes to church with his mother the queen every sunday

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Actual lmao at using the Palestinians as an example of needing nationalism when the problem with nationalism is exemplified in the Israeli state. I don't hate nationalism for the sake of it, but because it seems to always turn the people who were oppressed and lunged out of through nationalism into oppressors (or overthrown by the CIA whatever comes first).

Actually, scratch that, because the Kurds seemed to be doing pretty well!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jose posted:

Stanning for the massacre of students at Tiananmen is a spicy hot take there pal. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

Oh a tankie

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Miftan posted:

Actual lmao at using the Palestinians as an example of needing nationalism when the problem with nationalism is exemplified in the Israeli state. I don't hate nationalism for the sake of it, but because it seems to always turn the people who were oppressed and lunged out of through nationalism into oppressors (or overthrown by the CIA whatever comes first).

Actually, scratch that, because the Kurds seemed to be doing pretty well!

As was explained in the Stalin piece, Judaism isn't a nation. Israel is a settler colony, not a nation.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm going to offer the opinon that learning JS as your first language is a really great way to learn some atrocious coding habits. It's absolutely vital for front-end webdev, but for the love of God, learn it after you have a solid foundation in a language with a strong, static type system.

Agreed. I work with a team at the minute where there just is not a whole lot of knowledge of different types of data structures and it's a definite pain point, both for them and for me, the poor bastard who's being pigeon-holed as the refactoring/optimisation guy.

I'd also recommend looking into higher-order functions like map, filter and reduce. They sound scary, and can look scary sometimes, but they're a) extremely powerful, b) generally applicable, c) usually cleaner than whatever your other solution was going to be, and d) are available in most languages these days.

html/javascript/css/front-end-web-dev is by far the most popular part of software dev and in many ways the easiest to get into. concerns about ideological purity of the language can wait until after your first paycheck

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's something kinda lolworthy about a self professed marxist going round with the calipers declaring who is and isn't a nation.

Like fishook theory only apparently you go far enough left and end up back at british colonial administration.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oops I actually wasn't meaning to imply learn JS first, but that it's something that should probably end up on your belt at some point. Should have been clearer but I swerve to Python for starting out later in the rambling post of :words:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah and if you do go down the Python path to start out, comprehensions are amazing in addition to these.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

OwlFancier posted:

There's something kinda lolworthy about a self professed marxist going round with the calipers declaring who is and isn't a nation.

Yes, very strange that Marxists might believe in an explicable material basis for nations.

I definitely enjoy the completely incomprehensible anarchist alternative of everyone who wants a nation being one, but also having to denounce it and never use it.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure the anarchist alternative is that there is no concrete material basis for nationalism and that it is a political fiction, one which reliably results in people turning into the dickheads even if it's originally used as a vehicle for emanicpation, so be careful if you're using it, because it is a tool that by the nature of its form lends itself to harm.

Do not want a nation, because it's a bad way of thinking, and it being potentially a better way of thinking than being oppressed by some bigger assholes is not an endorsement of it as being good, any more than a gun is inherently good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes, very strange that Marxists might believe in an explicable material basis for nations.

I definitely enjoy the completely incomprehensible anarchist alternative of everyone who wants a nation being one, but also having to denounce it and never use it.

your a country

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Bundy posted:

Oops I actually wasn't meaning to imply learn JS first, but that it's something that should probably end up on your belt at some point. Should have been clearer but I swerve to Python for starting out later in the rambling post of :words:

Yeah and if you do go down the Python path to start out, comprehensions are amazing in addition to these.

Python is great to learn with, but still doesn't teach you about the dis/advantages of type systems and stuff, unless you strictly enforce type hints. Maybe something like Kotlin is nice to play around with too? Java based, so has a strong type system, but with a bunch of nice stuff around it to make it feel less like that you're faffing with Java.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think the idea of "nationhood" is a silly one, there have been thousands of different kin groups, polities and other factors to create differing systems, but to have any great love for them is foolish.

Nations are bad because they are tools that inevitably harm us when they do things we do not agree with, and the structures become self-perpetuating instead of serving a purpose.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1194635049980743688

Holy loving poo poo. Youth turnout is absolutely key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

coffeetable posted:

html/javascript/css/front-end-web-dev is by far the most popular part of software dev and in many ways the easiest to get into. concerns about ideological purity of the language can wait until after your first paycheck

My concern isn't "ideological purity" so much as "the absolute greatest ally you're ever going to have in writing robust code is a strict compiler that won't take any bullshit, but to make that work you need to be able to give it the information it needs to dom your idiot arse." JavaScript just makes it too easy to make things that work without actually thinking about what you're trying to do. I just don't think that's a good way to learn.