Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Broken Cog posted:

Can you manage to stay Raphaël Ambrosius Cousteau through the entire game?

If you keep insisting on it after finding your badge, Kim will say "Yes, well, you can get it changed officially once we finish this case". A true bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Wheeee posted:

The major plot beats don't change, but the manner in which things happen can, sometimes to fairly major effect.

For example, an excerpt from the very end-game debriefing with the Precinct 41 cops and your new Martinaise partner when Jean grills you over a shitshow tribunal result:
the book reference is just :discourse:

haha this is the exact dialogue I got in my main playthrough.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

is there any cool stuff you can miss that only happens at night? I looked around a few times and didn't see much but I feel like there's gotta be some stuff

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Church of Saint Saens is incredibly heavy and I love it and want to know if anyone knows a song like it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fellatio del Toro posted:

is there any cool stuff you can miss that only happens at night? I looked around a few times and didn't see much but I feel like there's gotta be some stuff

One thing I've noticed is that the white check to conceptualize painting graffiti on the blank wall gets easier in the evening (but not the dead of night) because the lighting conditions help you out.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 13, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Church of Saint Saens is incredibly heavy and I love it and want to know if anyone knows a song like it.

Yeah this is exactly like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwB6P4mkEA

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Try some Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVV6pN-8Js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxU88pUxNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzTCbaZj5HA

Try his latest album, Skeleton Tree, if you want something REALLY heavy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4aF-MDumFg

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Post your Sad FM playlists or die IMO

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Kinda of a dumb question but when a thought says it increases your learning cap to 5 it means that it lets you have 5 total points in that skill, right? Not that it increases how many points you can invest in it by 5 (i.e. making it possible to go over 5)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SardonicTyrant posted:

The whole OST is by a band called British Sea Power. The original song is Smallest Church in Sussex but I like the OST version more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Kinda of a dumb question but when a thought says it increases your learning cap to 5 it means that it lets you have 5 total points in that skill, right?

Right. It's nice to have on skills in one of your weak stats.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i've played through the intro segments a couple of times while having indecision over my build, and trying (and failing) to "quietly slip away" from Garte the first time you talk to him is incredible and a scene everyone should have to see. I also think it's a good example of how solid the writing is for as short as that scene is, it manages to develop the personalities for like 4 different characters

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Right. It's nice to have on skills in one of your weak stats.

Then I don't get how people are boasting like 12 points into some stats unless they are doing really specialized builds, because I'm at the limit in lots of skills that I wanted to invest more and can't find a way to lift the cap (PSY doesn't get higher with alcohol or cigarettes, for example). And all thoughts I have seem counter-productive to my stats. I'm actually sitting on two or three points for a little while now, which may be really dumb since it might mean I'm losing options I'm not even seeing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Then I don't get how people are boasting like 12 points into some stats unless they are doing really specialized builds,

It's that. Start high, get the right clothes and thoughts for added pluses, then do a drug to temporarily raise the cap even further and invest extra skill points that'll remain in place after the drugs wear off.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 13, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Failed a posting check, eh?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This is a red check. It cannot be retried.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like someone shotgunned open the skull of a 4chan poster without the satisfaction of actually shotgunning open the skull of a 4chan poster.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
gently caress, I didn't realize that it wouldn't let you arrest Klaasje after you had declined to do it the first time. I just wanted to follow up on Ruby a little before I committed to the arrest and now I'm ready but I no longer have the option

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Why would you arrest klaasje? She's so pretty :shobon:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A true comrade would arrest the moralist lapdog.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack2142 posted:

A true comrade would arrest the moralist lapdog.

a TRUE comrade would arrest almost everyone. All of you have failed.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

So I've been too busy irl to have time to continue the second playthrough, which means the next best thing is talking about the game and/or reading others' impressions of it instead, and in search for more of those I came across this (super spoilery) essay, which is someone going over their thoughts on the game's themes, references and how it all fits together.

It's very wordy and, once again, super spoilery (don't even think of clicking that link unless you finished at least one playthrough!), but overall a nice take that is both literary and not up its own rear end, and worth a read. Perhaps even doubly so if the mystery resolution didn't click with you or you found the ending lackluster. Not to say it'd change your mind, but it might provide a perspective of why it works for people who love it, myself included.

As a side note, this is also the first time I've seen anyone writing about the game to pick up and dig into the end credits reference, which is another indicator that the writer's done his research. (Also makes me feel a bit less of a madwoman for having done the exact same thing lol.)

A Storm Is Blowing from Paradise: Disco Elysium on the Past and Present

quote:

The task of the detective, on the conventional view, is to point out an evil and cleanse it. If we can identify “whodunnit,” we can punish the culprit and make things right. But there is nothing to be done with (endgame spoilers) Iosef, an angry old man who murdered a stunted ogre on behalf of a sad and unavailable woman. Disco Elysium cares about all three of them as people, but it’s not clear things could have gone otherwise. History wouldn’t allow it.
Let’s be honest: the simple fact of the Deserter’s identity isn’t valued in the story of Martinaise, and neither is the player’s vanity in deducing it. This place was shattered decades earlier, and the Deserter’s act is just one more sad beat of its dying heart. Lely’s
murder isn’t a mystery to be solved; it’s a tragedy to be understood — and mourned. It deserves as much consideration as the death of the working-class drunk who slipped and died on the boardwalk. Which is to say, all the consideration we can muster.

quote:

H.D.B. cannot be remade as he was, yet he gets to his feet and goes back to work. He picks through the wreckage, his flotsam and jetsam. He tidies up, solves tasks, and seeks to understand. Somewhere along the way, he becomes someone or other new. Bearing witness to this process are the people of Martinaise, and a shadow in the reeds — and you, the kind player.
Down by the seaside, Harry Du Bois wakes up in a new life. Maybe there’s hope for the rest of us.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Reported

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
:allbuttons:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Electrochemistry, you maniac!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Perhaps a hamster posted:

So I've been too busy irl to have time to continue the second playthrough, which means the next best thing is talking about the game and/or reading others' impressions of it instead, and in search for more of those I came across this (super spoilery) essay, which is someone going over their thoughts on the game's themes, references and how it all fits together.

It's very wordy and, once again, super spoilery (don't even think of clicking that link unless you finished at least one playthrough!), but overall a nice take that is both literary and not up its own rear end, and worth a read. Perhaps even doubly so if the mystery resolution didn't click with you or you found the ending lackluster. Not to say it'd change your mind, but it might provide a perspective of why it works for people who love it, myself included.

As a side note, this is also the first time I've seen anyone writing about the game to pick up and dig into the end credits reference, which is another indicator that the writer's done his research. (Also makes me feel a bit less of a madwoman for having done the exact same thing lol.)

A Storm Is Blowing from Paradise: Disco Elysium on the Past and Present

Thanks for posting this, it's almost as nice as the memes image is bad.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

No Mods No Masters posted:

Seconded it actually made me tear up a bit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah, it's really worth giving it a read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok someone find me a photo:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.6720381,1.2769864,337a,35y,140.71h,39.86t/data=!3m1!1e3

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 13, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This seems to be it?

https://seine76.fr/communes/bosc_le_hard/

It's a small stone building with a tiny spire.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OTOH this seems to be the smallest church in sussex, as per the original lyrics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lullington_Church

That's a small church, alright.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
OTOH this seems to be the smallest church in sussex, as per the original lyrics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lullington_Church

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

can someone spoil for me what happens if you successfully open the door to the bunker north of the church? i haven't been able to manage more than a 3% success rate, even on my PHY play through, and i'll be damned if i'm going to reload spam for an hour to hit the magic boxcars.

the first time i played through i thought "oh poo poo, maybe that's is how i can get to the island without having to go through the tribunal" but after my second go and reading up on this thread, i think there's no possible way to circumvent those plot points. so what actually happens if you open the bunker door?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Freaking Crumbum posted:

can someone spoil for me what happens if you successfully open the door to the bunker north of the church? i haven't been able to manage more than a 3% success rate, even on my PHY play through, and i'll be damned if i'm going to reload spam for an hour to hit the magic boxcars.

the first time i played through i thought "oh poo poo, maybe that's is how i can get to the island without having to go through the tribunal" but after my second go and reading up on this thread, i think there's no possible way to circumvent those plot points. so what actually happens if you open the bunker door?

As far as I can tell, the door is a lie.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

can someone spoil for me what happens if you successfully open the door to the bunker north of the church?
You don't. I rolled critical success on that (with already high chance from 10+ interface) and the result had "inevitably failed". Apparently you're meant to have a thought arise from that, but I don't think I even got that haha. Kim just said, "You can't open every door, Harry," and I could grumble a bit, and that was that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Are there any funny responses from using the boombox during conversations? I didn't have it out too often - most of my play through was spent with the flashlight and ledger welded onto my hands.

Also, what's Kim's reaction if you take the boots and wear them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

What are some of the best/most interesting things that can happen if you fail a Check? The poster who mentioned failing to sneak away from Garte got me thinking about this.

For me failing to come up with a fake name is almost essential and failing that Check really adds some character to our boy early on. Similarly, I've heard that there's a Thought you can gain from triggering but failing a Check with Manana, but I've never been able to get it.