Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mila kunis posted:

what was that adam curtis documentary where he talks about the feeling of living in an unreal world because the media is transparently full of poo poo

all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

HyperNormalisation

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

mila kunis posted:

what was that adam curtis documentary where he talks about the feeling of living in an unreal world because the media is transparently full of poo poo

https://youtu.be/PtjfoEvsR9w

here you go frien!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Truga posted:

isn't there literal evidence from behind the scenes this time because everything is done so shamelessly?

yeah there were those leaked recordings that it was all being orchestrated from the US embassy with the involvement of senators Rubio, Cruz, and Menendez

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

vyelkin posted:

yeah there were those leaked recordings that it was all being orchestrated from the US embassy with the involvement of senators Rubio, Cruz, and Menendez

coincidentally I don't see this being mentioned in any MSM narrative

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

What was the original piece that had those again?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/allezlesboulez/status/1194085622924939265?s=21

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Does anyone know anything about the makeup of the Bolivian military? I did some Bellingcat style Wikipedia research but the results were... mixed.

quote:

Since 1904 military service has been compulsory for all fit males between the ages of eighteen and forty-nine. In practice, however, budgetary limitations strictly limited the number of eligible men conscripted, and those traditionally tended to be mostly Indians. Beginning in 1967, conscripts were legally held on active duty for up to two years, but funds seldom permitted even a full year's service. Noncommissioned officers (NCOs) and warrant officers, all of whom were volunteers, generally were drawn from mixed-blood cholos (those of Spanish and Indian descent). In the late 1980s, the service obligation was one year, and conscripts had to be at least nineteen years of age. The FF.AA. commander reported in early 1989 that the largest percentage of conscripts came from the middle class. One explanation for this change could have been the flocking of youths to the lucrative coca paste-making business. Military authorities in the Cochabamba area in particular began to experience growing difficulty in enlisting volunteers in the mid-1980s. Consequently, the military reportedly was resorting to pressganging eighteen-year-olds off the city streets to fill their annual quotas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_Bolivia#Conscription

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

I'm not really well informed on latin american politics and US backed coups but this one in particular seems really poorly run compared to others in the past.

The CIA failed to coup Maduro, and while time will tell if the MAS movement that Morales left behind will be able to resist the fascist take-over (I certainly hope so), Morales himself has personally been forced out.

This makes the Bolivia affair, as it currently stands, more successful than Venezuela, but messier than Brazil*. It only feels like a shitshow to us because it's blatantly obvious that it's a coup, and it's blatantly obvious that there's a huge cover-up to make it not seem like a coup.

* and Brazil was itself mostly an Obama-era operation

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kunster posted:

What was the original piece that had those again?

https://www.en24.news/news/2019/11/10/bolivia-audios-leaked-from-opposition-leaders-calling-for-a-coup-against-evo-morales.html

That said, no clue who the gently caress en24 news is, or if anyone in Bolivia's MAS has referred to these recordings since they have come out, so be a bit cautious

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1194619421697949697?s=20

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Much obliged, compañero.

e:

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://www.en24.news/news/2019/11/10/bolivia-audios-leaked-from-opposition-leaders-calling-for-a-coup-against-evo-morales.html

That said, no clue who the gently caress en24 news is, or if anyone in Bolivia's MAS has referred to these recordings since they have come out, so be a bit cautious

Apparently the audios were uploaded by a small Costa Rican publication for some reason.

Chewbaccanator has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Nov 13, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The CIA failed to coup Maduro, and while time will tell if the MAS movement that Morales left behind will be able to resist the fascist take-over (I certainly hope so), Morales himself has personally been forced out.

This makes the Bolivia affair, as it currently stands, more successful than Venezuela, but messier than Brazil*. It only feels like a shitshow to us because it's blatantly obvious that it's a coup, and it's blatantly obvious that there's a huge cover-up to make it not seem like a coup.

* and Brazil was itself mostly an Obama-era operation

It's less successful than Haiti and Honduras, also Obama operations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

We're circling around the John Dolan thesis that Obama was the perfect imperial President

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

democracy now? more like this sucks now
https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1194614007803662336?s=20

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

democracy? nah

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The real coup? Winning an election.
https://twitter.com/EMPosts/status/1194400068884946944?s=20

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Can't wait for this to happen here when Bernie wins.

10 million dead. Minimum. Including my children, before anything changes for the better.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Given that there's been a huge uproar about indigenous religious practices in right wing Catholic media recently I wonder how many of those people are CIA

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Dreylad posted:

I'm not really well informed on latin american politics and US backed coups but this one in particular seems really poorly run compared to others in the past.
There is one rule to US backed coups, and that is ABC: Always Be Couping

Who give a poo poo if it is a bad coup, there will never be negative consequences to the coup, because there haven't been negative consequences up to this point yet that anyone's felt. Phoned-in action is better than no action at all, since it keeps everyone else on their toes at the very least and stretches out others' resources (and they will have fewer stockpiled up), and at the most, the US scores a sweet jackpot.

Turns out the best way to avoid everyone catching onto your poo poo is to constantly point to other places and say, "look over there! There's trouble over there, right now! I heard it's bad. (It might not be, but do you really want to take a chance by not getting rid of it?)" Also, it keeps the war zones on foreign soils so the people in charge of operations don't have to worry about physical harm if the coup flops and partisans start burning mansions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Given that there's been a huge uproar about indigenous religious practices in right wing Catholic media recently I wonder how many of those people are CIA

I thought those were attacks against Pope Francis because during the Amazon Synod he received Indigeneous religious leaders and said that their practices should be tolerated and the Trads went loving berserk

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I thought those were attacks against Pope Francis because during the Amazon Synod he received Indigeneous religious leaders and said that their practices should be tolerated and the Trads went loving berserk

That's pretty much the short version. A lot of the original criticism came from LA fascist groups like Tradition Family Property (who tried to murder Pope John Paul for being a deep cover Trotskyist) and since it coincides with attacks on indigenous people in Brazil, Bolivia, and elsewhere the conspiracy part of my brain is buzzing

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
I can practically hear the theatrical accent this guy would put on "el país" if he were saying it out loud.

https://twitter.com/Orsag13/status/1193730196005965824?s=20

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know, I kinda had an epiphany a while ago, and reading that dumbshit tweet made me remember it, and I thought I'd share.

Basically, every time a lib uses the word "nuance" just replace it in your mind with the term "mental gymnastics" and poo poo suddenly makes a hundred times more sense.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah the latter is why I question the competency of the coup here. I guess we'll see if the coup can hold power.

StashAugustine posted:

That's pretty much the short version. A lot of the original criticism came from LA fascist groups like Tradition Family Property (who tried to murder Pope John Paul for being a deep cover Trotskyist) and since it coincides with attacks on indigenous people in Brazil, Bolivia, and elsewhere the conspiracy part of my brain is buzzing

always nice to see freaks trying to finish what the conquistadors started

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Nov 13, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

You know, I kinda had an epiphany a while ago, and reading that dumbshit tweet made me remember it, and I thought I'd share.

Basically, every time a lib uses the word "nuance" just replace it in your mind with the term "mental gymnastics" and poo poo suddenly makes a hundred times more sense.

Yeah. Anytime somebody pretends that their thoughts are "nuanced" it really means that they're harboring contradictions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

Drake no: nuance
Drake yes: moral clarity

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the new president certainly counts but how many other pro-coup bolivian twitter people look like they emerged from a boys from brazil bolivia spawning pool

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Dreylad posted:

the new president certainly counts but how many other pro-coup bolivian twitter people look like they emerged from a boys from brazil bolivia spawning pool

Most of them look like stock photo models. Hey, wait...

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ok whats democracy nows! deal though they're usually pretty good at anti-western coverage

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zegermans posted:

ok whats democracy nows! deal though they're usually pretty good at anti-western coverage

theyre libs op

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

3 stages of moral thought imo

stage 1: everything is either bad or good

stage 2: everything is shades of grey, good and evil are subjective

stage 3: actually everything is either bad or good

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i didn't know what was going on until it already happened, and a trivial amount of looking had me find stuff that indicated that people were calling out that there was a planned coup based on falsifying fraud, back in august

gently caress mainstream media, its just insane how worthless they are. bunch of press release laundering lapdogs.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

zegermans posted:

funny I just went on the subreddit on democracynow to look for discussion on this. Heard the "two sides" coverage this morning. Very disappointing. DemocracyNow still seems popular in leftist circles but the constant ukraine/russia gate coverage makes some hesitant to tune in, including myself. I only caught part 1 of the Bolivian interviews , was part 2 any better in regards to pushback?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

kneelbeforezog posted:

funny I just went on the subreddit on democracynow to look for discussion on this. Heard the "two sides" coverage this morning. Very disappointing. DemocracyNow still seems popular in leftist circles but the constant ukraine/russia gate coverage makes some hesitant to tune in, including myself. I only caught part 1 of the Bolivian interviews , was part 2 any better in regards to pushback?

They have Greenwald brain poisoning of "US foreign policy bad, so Russia bad foreign policy don't real?" but this seems to fall squarely into their usual anti-imperialist wheelhouse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i didn't know what was going on until it already happened, and a trivial amount of looking had me find stuff that indicated that people were calling out that there was a planned coup based on falsifying fraud, back in august

gently caress mainstream media, its just insane how worthless they are. bunch of press release laundering lapdogs.

Mainstream media is completely captured by reactionary private interests and it's just better to accept that and move on. Liberal media is especially bad because all they do is sell the premises of US imperialism to Democrats.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

meanwhile in Chile

https://i.imgur.com/KD8eWBT.gifv

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

also
https://i.imgur.com/q5hl1gh.gifv

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
cyberpunk 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zegermans posted:

democratic primary and trump election broke their brains, or private equity takeover, take your pick