Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Python is great to learn with, but still doesn't teach you about the dis/advantages of type systems and stuff, unless you strictly enforce type hints. Maybe something like Kotlin is nice to play around with too? Java based, so has a strong type system, but with a bunch of nice stuff around it to make it feel less like that you're faffing with Java.

The other alternative if you want Java without all the loving bloat is Go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1194635049980743688

Holy loving poo poo. Youth turnout is absolutely key.

Lol rip the UK

At least most of those 65+ will starve to death over the next couple of years

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

We knew this. It's why the polling is so bad and always skews right - they only count people who state they are certain to vote.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Python is great to learn with, but still doesn't teach you about the dis/advantages of type systems and stuff, unless you strictly enforce type hints. Maybe something like Kotlin is nice to play around with too? Java based, so has a strong type system, but with a bunch of nice stuff around it to make it feel less like that you're faffing with Java.

Eh, Python is still strongly typed it's just not statically typed, it doesn't do coercion unlike poo poo like PHP and JS. You can't shove assign a name to 1 and then start treating it like it's "1" because you'll get an exception to the face.

Personally, I prefer treating data structures as immutable rather than of any particular type.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

loving hell

Why won't people save themselves

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Could Greens and Labour done a deal or does Labour have a rule about not standing down for seats (I think I heard this?).

What should the Greens have done instead of the terrible decision to ally with the lib dems?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

JavaScript just makes it too easy to make things that work without actually thinking about what you're trying to do.
this is a heck of a position to take

how many parts of the software industry have you worked in?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

fuf posted:

Could Greens and Labour done a deal or does Labour have a rule about not standing down for seats (I think I heard this?).

What should the Greens have done instead of the terrible decision to ally with the lib dems?

Run where they're likely to win (Brighton) and where there's no danger of handing the seat to the tories

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jedit posted:

We knew this. It's why the polling is so bad and always skews right - they only count people who state they are certain to vote.

Well, yeah.

18-24 turnout in 2017 was actually about 64%. If get near that again it'll be pretty tasty.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuf posted:

Labour is a major party and standing down would be humiliating and lead to wall to wall negative coverage about them being shook. c.f. Brexit Party shenanigans

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
i am a mathematician who learned haskell first and the quality of the code ive seen over the years is pretty close to uncorrelated with how many types are scattered around. they're nice to have! sometimes! for some systems! and in others - especially when there's not much branching - they're just a pain in the rear end that lengthens your research loop

frankly opinions on type systems are just shy of opinions on indentation when it comes to tech industry shibboleths

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Well, yeah.

18-24 turnout in 2017 was actually about 64%. If get near that again it'll be pretty tasty.

What percentage of them are 'likely', as in, more than 5 out of 10?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

fuf posted:

Fold as a party and join Labour. I'm not sure what the point of the Greens is anymore with Labour and their green new deal kicking around, especially with the Greens going "b-b-but the unions!!"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

i am a mathematician who learned haskell first and the quality of the code ive seen over the years is pretty close to uncorrelated with how many types are scattered around. they're nice to have! sometimes! for some systems! and in others - especially when there's not much branching - they're just a pain in the rear end that lengthens your research loop

frankly opinions on type systems are just shy of opinions on indentation when it comes to tech industry shibboleths

ahhh my yearly reminder to shave the rust off my haskell

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

loving hell

Why won't people save themselves

Why would you trust the pollsters to get that question right when they constantly gently caress up on every other one?

Re. Nationalism-chat, I've always held the opinion that nationalism can be a good servant to a greater cause under some circumstances, e.g. if you need to do a Great Patriotic War or a national liberation struggle or something along those lines, but only as long as it stays a servant. Because as history shows, nationalism is a really loving bad master.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess I should actually do some C# now that my job's in the shitter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerebral Bore posted:

Re. Nationalism-chat, I've always held the opinion that nationalism can be a good servant to a greater cause under some circumstances, e.g. if you need to do a Great Patriotic War or a national liberation struggle or something along those lines, but only as long as it stays a servant. Because as history shows, nationalism is a really loving bad master.
Much like fire can be very useful in winning a war, you have to make sure you fully extinguish it afterwards though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

As was explained in the Stalin piece, Judaism isn't a nation. Israel is a settler colony, not a nation.

Funny, because they tick all your other boxes for being a nation like shared language, history, community, maybe not economic activity because they were pretty spread out at the time. I'm not saying Israel isn't a lovely country, but I wonder if good ol' Uncle Joe would have had any other reason for not considering Jews a real nation.. :thunk:

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty sure the anarchist alternative is that there is no concrete material basis for nationalism and that it is a political fiction, one which reliably results in people turning into the dickheads even if it's originally used as a vehicle for emanicpation, so be careful if you're using it, because it is a tool that by the nature of its form lends itself to harm.

Do not want a nation, because it's a bad way of thinking, and it being potentially a better way of thinking than being oppressed by some bigger assholes is not an endorsement of it as being good, any more than a gun is inherently good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why would you trust the pollsters to get that question right when they constantly gently caress up on every other one?

Yeah, good point, dumb of me and I'm still not totally au fait with How Polls Work. Like, I know they gently caress with the weightings to give the results they want but I figured the raw data would be relatively sound - but there's a bunch of ways for them to gently caress with that as well, I guess

Sorry for going off on one

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Bundy posted:

Eh, Python is still strongly typed it's just not statically typed, it doesn't do coercion unlike poo poo like PHP and JS.

Oh! D'oh, I always confuse the 2 terms. Still, static typing is also nice to play around with sometimes

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Personally I have become a massive fan of Kotlin. If you have or want experience with Java or other JVM based languages, I highly recommend it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Funny, because they tick all your other boxes for being a nation like shared language, history, community, maybe not economic activity because they were pretty spread out at the time. I'm not saying Israel isn't a lovely country, but I wonder if good ol' Uncle Joe would have had any other reason for not considering Jews a real nation.. :thunk:

Because Israel is in Siberia, duh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I suspected

Guavanaut posted:

Belief that the nation is its territory and its people's and both can be distinctly defined is textbook nationalism, so this is sure to go in a cool direction.
but I wasn't quite expecting "As per the Stalin piece, Jews aren't real" within 2 pages.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i didn't see this posted in the thread, maybe missed it in among all the other stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/13/mccluskey-tells-corbyn-defy-calls-extend-freedom-of-movement

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1194601893374418944

coffeetable posted:

i've liked static type systems in my personal projects because they're externalizing cognition, which helps if you are, like me, a bit of a dumbass who keeps forgetting what things do. if you're some kind of person with memory, maybe they're less important! although one thing we should all be able to agree on is that syntax highlighting is nice

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The Kantar site makes it abundantly clear how important it is to get young people to first of all register and then get them to turn out on polling day

https://www.kantar.com/public/uk/our-thinking/methods/weighting-voting-intention-data posted:

How does Kantar Public estimate voting probabilities?

Kantar Public does not take expressed voting probabilities (‘how likely are you to vote?’) at face value. Firstly, some are not registered to vote so they need to be identified and given a voting probability value of zero once the registration deadline has passed. Secondly, we know from doing post-election re-contact surveys that what people say they are going to do (or not do) is not always a great match for their eventual behaviour. In particular, younger people and previous non-voters are prone to over-estimating their likelihood of voting in the next election.

Our empirically-grounded formula for estimating voting probability takes all this into account and has proven reasonably robust to different election scenarios. For example, this formula led us to believe that the turnout among the Voting Age Population in 2017 would be 64% (it was actually 63%) and that this would vary from 42% among 18-29 year olds to 87% among those aged 60+. Undoubtedly, these figures are not wholly accurate but they are very similar to those obtained from the British Election Study post-election survey that used the highest quality sampling methods[5]. This gives us confidence that both our weighting and voting probability estimation methods are along the right lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me floating around in my giant levitating stone head of stalin "THE NATION IS GOOD, THE PENIS IS EVIL"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rod Stewart has a massive model railway set. Looks really cool.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

And to think some people thought if we got rid of Pissflaps we'd just devolve into some type of groupthink echo chamber.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'm having a massive headache because today was an incredibly lovely and stupid day at work and I'm lolling at the people in the thread talking about becoming a software developer like the technical side is the difficult part

Like yes there are challenges and you need actual talent to get to the higher paid positions but boy howdy you better be ready to deal with incredible human stupidity because that's going to be the part that will make you miserable every day

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Could be worse, could be telesales.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

My first instinct was to sneer because lol Rod Stewart but then I opened the link and holy poo poo that's actually amazing

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

sebzilla posted:

Hence this spicy hot take

Rod the Fuckin' Liddle posted:

Universities may have broken up by the 12th and the Lib Dems and Labour will therefore risk losing a tidal wave of support from voters who are pig ignorant, pay no taxes and who, when delighted by something, do not clap their hands but wave them in the air like Al Jolson singing ‘Mammy’.

If you have a student son or daughter who’s thinking of voting, shove some high grade skunk under their bedroom door the day before the poll. You can lace the skunk with horse tranquilisers if you wish — do anything, just stop them voting. Pay them not to vote, or organise a rave with bangin’ choons for polling day. It is your duty — and the kids will thank you for it in about ten years’ time, when a semblance of sentience has established itself inside their heads.

It was principally the student vote that won Canterbury for the sobbing and oppressed Rosie ‘#MeToo’ Duffield. Please don’t let that happen again. My own choice of election date would be a day when universities are closed and Muslims are forbidden to do anything on pain of hell, or something. There must be at least one day like that in the Muslim calendar, surely? That would deliver at least 40 seats to the Tories, I reckon.

Javascript chat, I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a first language either. Front-end development in general is a horrific morass, i.e. https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f . Personally I'd start with C# for a 'proper' typed language and maybe Groovy for mucking about scripting stuff.

E:

Pochoclo posted:

I'm lolling at the people in the thread talking about becoming a software developer like the technical side is the difficult part

Like yes there are challenges and you need actual talent to get to the higher paid positions but boy howdy you better be ready to deal with incredible human stupidity because that's going to be the part that will make you miserable every day

Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to get across. You don't know you hate that part of the job until you're stuck looking at another 40 years of it and trying not to burn out and/or shoot up the office.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 13, 2019

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pochoclo posted:

be ready to deal with incredible human stupidity because that's going to be the part that will make you miserable every day

Pretty sure that's every job everywhere, forever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rod Stewart join momentum

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

i've liked static type systems in my personal projects because they're externalizing cognition, which helps if you are, like me, a bit of a dumbass who keeps forgetting what things do. if you're some kind of person with memory, maybe they're less important! although one thing we should all be able to agree on is that syntax highlighting is nice

Having explicitly declared type makes the it more readable for the poor sap that has to deal with my code a couple months later (and more often than not, I am that person)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Stop the young from voting, use voter oppression!

But we must maintain democracy from the communists!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm also laughing at how much of a car crash Jo Swinson is turning into. It brings me great joy to see the lib dems fumbling over themselves because they're so incomprehensibly stupid and short sighted.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fuckin' LMAO

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1194558449239109632?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Diet Crack posted:

I'm also laughing at how much of a car crash Jo Swinson is turning into. It brings me great joy to see the lib dems fumbling over themselves because they're so incomprehensibly stupid and short sighted.

Oh look, it's the bedroom tax Jo voted for :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Not UK Pol but affects us all ultimately:
Impeachment proceedings started against Trump.