Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mr. Wiggles posted:

San Antonio- the only reason to go to Texas.

Pretty much. Too bad you have to go through loving DFW to drive there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Liquid Communism posted:

Pretty much. Too bad you have to go through loving DFW to drive there.

Not if you're coming from Laredo :ese:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

San Antonio- the only reason to go to Texas.

Man that’s the most true thing I have ever heard. I sometimes want to move back to my hometown.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Direct flights from Vegas mean I can have dinner here and then meet friends at the Sons of Herman before closing. It's like being next door!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Publix is fine. Most people like it mostly because it's going to be the whitest grocery store with some nice Christian whites working there. The subs are fine, the boar's head ones benefit from being boar's head but there's nothing special beyond that. They do sometimes have the best deals on meats and a better selection of mushrooms. Being able to get packages of meat split up is probably the biggest selling point.

Also one of their major competitors was doing this when I was a child, which definitely helped Publix https://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/07/business/company-news-food-lion-stock-falls-after-report.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh yeah I forgot, at Publix they'll give you a $10 gift certificate to get your flu shot. I took my whole family up and that's how I'm paying for my Thanksgiving prime rib. Did it last year too. Get your flu shots, dummies.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Publix is also nice by not requiring loyalty cards for the sale prices.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So I bought the whole jamon serrano from Costco the other day. I’m normally a “charcuterie last drat near forever” guy but seriously how long do you all think I can keep gnawing on this bitch if I follow the guidelines of stick “the fat back on it and drape it with a towel” method?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So I bought the whole jamon serrano from Costco the other day. I’m normally a “charcuterie last drat near forever” guy but seriously how long do you all think I can keep gnawing on this bitch if I follow the guidelines of stick “the fat back on it and drape it with a towel” method?

Send it to me and I'll experiment for you. For your own safety, of course.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I saw that in the online circular, I was joking about buying it. Never thought I'd know an absolute legend.

Now go get the sauna kit

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

For jamon? I'd probably go until it's gone or I got sick. Just keep putting the fat on.

e; I just looked at that deal and its actually a pretty good deal. Tempted to pick one up for the holidays now. Is it full on "need the stand to display/serve" or is it more a "ham".
e; It says no bone on the description. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah I'm seriously considering picking this up and just sitting it on a shelf until christmas.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 13, 2019

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I almost grabbed one of those at Costco yesterday then realized I, as a single dude, probably shouldn't have like six pounds of serrano sitting around for me to gorge myself on.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

esperantinc posted:

I almost grabbed one of those at Costco yesterday then realized I, as a single dude, probably shouldn't have like six pounds of serrano sitting around for me to gorge myself on.

Not with that attitude :colbert:

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
I came so close to getting one of those last year and regreted missing out. Looks like it is time for a Costco trip.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

esperantinc posted:

I don't see why the hell not

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Can y'all post a link? I see one for $269 but last year they had a smaller one for like $99

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Send it to me and I'll experiment for you. For your own safety, of course.

Holy poo poo, are you ok with costco if you can subvert their receipt checking? I just can't believe you of all people would accept a costco product. If you've gotten over that, go get a 1/4 plus lb hot dog and 20oz drink for $1.49, it's awesome.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 14, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://www.costco.com/d'artagnan-18-month-aged-boneless-spanish-serrano-ham.product.11679636.html

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Nephzinho posted:

For jamon? I'd probably go until it's gone or I got sick. Just keep putting the fat on.

e; I just looked at that deal and its actually a pretty good deal. Tempted to pick one up for the holidays now. Is it full on "need the stand to display/serve" or is it more a "ham".
e; It says no bone on the description. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah I'm seriously considering picking this up and just sitting it on a shelf until christmas.

I mean it comes with the stand and a knife. I put it on the stand.

Edit: mine has a bone. And it’s 14 lbs. and it was 99 bucks.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/NOEL-Jamon-Serrano-Bone-In-Ham-Leg-with-Stand-%2526-Knife%2C-14-lbs.product.100339150.html

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 14, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I mean it comes with the stand and a knife. I put it on the stand.

Edit: mine has a bone. And it’s 14 lbs. and it was 99 bucks.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/NOEL-Jamon-Serrano-Bone-In-Ham-Leg-with-Stand-%2526-Knife%2C-14-lbs.product.100339150.html

Well poo poo, time to see if there's a Costco anyone in the NYC area with this deal, because that is my father in law's christmas present.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
They only have the 15.5lber by me.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Well thanks, thread. Now I know how I want to leave this world when my time comes. Jamon sodium overdose.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Nephzinho posted:

Well poo poo, time to see if there's a Costco anyone in the NYC area with this deal, because that is my father in law's christmas present.

Well worth it

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 14, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Can y'all post a link? I see one for $269 but last year they had a smaller one for like $99

Holy poo poo, are you ok with costco if you can subvert their receipt checking? I just can't believe you of all people would accept a costco product. If you've gotten over that, go get a 1/4 plus lb hot dog and 20oz drink for $1.49, it's awesome.

What are you going on about? I love Costco. I mean, hell, my avatar is wearing a Kirkland sweater.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What are you going on about? I love Costco. I mean, hell, my avatar is wearing a Kirkland sweater.

They might be thinking of Three Olives, who has since come around and enjoys Costco

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like Costco but after about 10 minutes in there I feel like I live in some sort of capitalist space station hell where I live work consume and excrete in the same doomed cycle day after day, my only exercise is to aimlessly wander the aisles navigating my unweildy grocery landship and my only entertainment is to see if there's a new variety of fancy nuts I will never eat five pounds of.

I try to only go once a month.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You've been excommunicated from the gbs thread

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I could have sworn you hated Costco? Am I really misremembering?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
OMG, BA has a Test Kitchen shirt out. It's so cute.

https://shop.bonappetit.com/products/the-test-kitchen-but-not-to-scale-shirt?variant=31065616154685

I love how Gabby's station is the computer and empenadas.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Croatoan posted:

You're not, he did.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That is a super size family pack of Lols

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

All of this supermarket chat is moot because there's only one true supermarket and it's the Berkeley Bowl. I moved from the East Bay to the Peninsula a little over a year ago and it hurts to not be able to shop there regularly anymore. You can't imagine the gooseberries and the fingerling potatoes, the seasonal fresh mushrooms and the banks of bulk dried fruits. And all of the produce and bulk item prices are really good because they make money by selling piles of hippie facewash and organic paper towels to dumb older white people.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://shop.bonappetit.com/products/the-test-kitchen-but-not-to-scale-shirt?variant=31065616154685

Not gonna lie, there's a reasonably good chance I might ask for one of those for Christmas.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

No, you’re right, he used to have principles.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Then he had a $1.50 hot dog and soda with free refill and everything changed

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Listen. I love their content and would totally rock the merch, but $30 is a week of groceries. Yikes on a bike.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH, $30 is a night out

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

Listen. I love their content and would totally rock the merch, but $30 is a week of groceries. Yikes on a bike.

That's why I wait for a sale.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BA’s merch prices are in the “won’t buy it myself, but happy to receive as a Christmas gift” tier.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

OTOH, $30 is a night out

Hello, me from the nineties.

Get a haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Then he had a $1.50 hot dog and soda with free refill and everything changed

Look, buddy, I draw the line at soda pop!

Real talk though I tried the Costco thing again when we moved from Reno to Vegas and what I discovered was that here, nobody really gives a poo poo about the receipt thing. They just swipe your receipt with a magic marker and off you go, don't even have to slow down as you meander out the door. So maybe the receipt Nazis were just a Reno thing idk but it's cool now.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 15, 2019