Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/Circushellspawn/status/1194470929432285184?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the last time I played a pokemon game was red/blue and I caught them all, to this day I still get to say that I caught them all before retiring

I look forward to once again being to say this thanks to Dexit not requiring me to spend hundreds of dollars on games and systems

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hammerite posted:

I really feel like I might need both a Scorbunny and a Sobble, they are both just so good and so are their evolutions

Just steal one from those people that box their starters.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Squats posted:

Is the wild pokemon calling for help mechanic back? That could help alleviate the scarcity. Otherwise how would we evolve any Sirfetches after beating all the trainers in game?

Someone mentioned being able to rebattle gym leaders I think

great info, please keep us updated on all the furry homestuck forum news

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

smh lazy GF reusing assets again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

this is interesting because I'm into both the casual pve playthrough and competitive pvp but the former is leaving me alot colder based on what we've been seeing. it really feels like the competitive players are gonna have a better time at the end of the day

I'm really easy to please though, some gyms, some badges, a couple dudes to catch

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

toby fox is bad now

you hate to see it

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is there anything in the game that indicates that a Pokemon you own has the ability to evolve?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only thing I find weird is stuff like the gamexplain review where it's positive to a point but ultimately falls to "yeah I didn't like it and there wasn't much if anything there for me content wise. I'm not a competitive person but it LOOKS like it's made for them, and since I can't judge it's pretty good."

I'm not full :tinfoil: so it's nice to hear something positive, even if it does turn out IGN was paid off or something goofy like that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm really easy to please though, some gyms, some badges, a couple dudes to catch

fair enough! they really knocked it out of the park when it comes to new mon design this time around, i don't think anyone's gonna be disappointed there

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

For people who’ve played it early/seen streams: how does this compare to X and Y? Because seem the most similar to the complaints I’ve heard about SwSh but I still managed to squeeze a couple playthroughs worth of fun from them

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I am so glad I don’t know what half of this even means

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Impressions (not a full review) from USGamer:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-impressions

Basically, succeeds in being a Pokemon game but not the next gen leap that it should have been

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

All the ultrabeasts are dogshit and the only benefit to them culling the pokedex is that we'll hopefully never have to see them ever again.

What the actual gently caress

Amazing.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Imagine seeing Buzzwole and not thinking it's the best Pokemon anyone's ever seen

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

extra row of teeth posted:

I am so glad I don’t know what half of this even means

Not an empty quote

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Impressions (not a full review) from USGamer:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-impressions

Basically, succeeds in being a Pokemon game but not the next gen leap that it should have been

From what I've played so far that's probably the best take. It's a 3DS Pokemon game given a resolution boost. It could have used more development time but gets the Pokejob done.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all you need to know is that despite his incredible success toby fox still finds time to troll us unfortunate homestuck readers

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have a full dex from transferring stuff up through games and have since x/y so this feels... really dumb personally. Am I suddenly a authority in saying what is/isn't a bad call? I feel like it's also missing the point as to why a good handful of people are upset. It's kind of a bad tweet.

But eh, entitled to her own opinion even if I don't agree with it.

For folks that spoiled themselves is it possible (with trading) to get all 400 naturally or are there some event mon that people would have to wait for in order to get 100%? I'm also curious if there's a shiny charm or anything like that still in the game or if that got removed.

Oh and final question but someone said that it was impossible to get Shiny starters, is that confirmed? I don't really understand why that would be the case but still.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Given the existence of

-shinies
-pokebank
-ivs

it's fuckin ridiculous that anyone doesn't understand why someone would be unhappy with dexit

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the event mons are the 20 or 30 extra datamined ones that are mostly starters and legendaries. the 400 we originally heard about should all be obtainable in game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh and final question but someone said that it was impossible to get Shiny starters, is that confirmed? I don't really understand why that would be the case but still.

Starters are shiny locked same as LGPE. You can however get access to the breeder almost immediately and just breed for a shiny starter (assuming your starter is a female, I think)

And speaking of shinies also read this morning the following: the pokemon that you can’t catch in the Wild Area (because they’re higher level than you have the badges for) are apparently their own standalone thing and are also shiny locked so you don’t have to worry about encountering a shiny you can’t catch.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And speaking of shinies also read this morning the following: the pokemon that you can’t catch in the Wild Area (because they’re higher level than you have the badges for) are apparently their own standalone thing and are also shiny locked so you don’t have to worry about encountering a shiny you can’t catch.

I was really hoping for this. It's still a bit silly but I do like the idea of walking into the wild area at level 5 and getting clowned by a level 50 Tyranitar. Makes the place feel more dangerous, and gives incentive to return later.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Eh. Didn't much like the main games of XY and SM, so I kinda think I'll skip Swish if it isn't any better. Glad to see that they've improved the competitive scene though. Couldn't be hosed with Megas and Z-Moves in the last two gens' competitive scenes, so it's nice to see they removed them. Showdown'll be a lot of fun now.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who is calling this stuff 'Dexit', saying it ruins the game, or is like some grand betryal is an absolute psycho. There's like 700 of these things and it's just going to get worse going forward, do you seriously expect them to keep up with that poo poo?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

fuckin, yes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Starters are shiny locked same as LGPE. You can however get access to the breeder almost immediately and just breed for a shiny starter (assuming your starter is a female, I think)

so the 'you can't catch these yet' mons are more specific 'tough pokemon' types meant to serve as kinda a benchmark for the area rather than a natural thing?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Fsmhunk posted:

Anyone who is calling this stuff 'Dexit', saying it ruins the game, or is like some grand betryal is an absolute psycho. There's like 700 of these things and it's just going to get worse going forward, do you seriously expect them to keep up with that poo poo?

They expect the biggest IP on the planet to have enough budget to either copy-paste all the mons just like they did with the ones that are in the game, or to have improvements in other aspects of the game instead of even more technical issues.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Scrap Dragon posted:

For people who’ve played it early/seen streams: how does this compare to X and Y? Because seem the most similar to the complaints I’ve heard about SwSh but I still managed to squeeze a couple playthroughs worth of fun from them

Turns out this was Pokemon Z all along.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks for the answers, yeah I wouldn't of grinded the intro hoping for a slightly different sobble or whatever but I am bored enough half the time to try and breed one just for fun.

Last thing I want to ask, Chansey is my favorite pokemon of all time next to Mew, but I was told Chansey isn't catchable in this game.
Is Corsola in? I know it's useless for the most part but I really like my happy lil lad.

I caught a Chansey in Red when I was a kid and became 'schoolyard famous' as everyone thought it was a legendary with how rare and hard to get it was- so I always felt really attached to it because of that silly memory.
I just really like Corsola and thought it was really cute. I'm a mark for happy pink things I guess.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
corsola is loving dead lmao

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thanks for the answers, yeah I wouldn't of grinded the intro hoping for a slightly different sobble or whatever but I am bored enough half the time to try and breed one just for fun.

Last thing I want to ask, Chansey is my favorite pokemon of all time next to Mew, but I was told Chansey isn't catchable in this game.
Is Corsola in? I know it's useless for the most part but I really like my happy lil lad.

I caught a Chansey in Red when I was a kid and became 'schoolyard famous' as everyone thought it was a legendary with how rare and hard to get it was- so I always felt really attached to it because of that silly memory.
I just really like Corsola and thought it was really cute. I'm a mark for happy pink things I guess.

The answer is "kind of". You'll want to get Shield and you'll probably be fairly pleased.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Corsola got a Galaran forme and a unique Galar evolution!

its a spooky ghost now because bleached coral

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

so the 'you can't catch these yet' mons are more specific 'tough pokemon' types meant to serve as kinda a benchmark for the area rather than a natural thing?

Without having actually played it myself, that’s how I’m reading it from the various posts about it. Here’s the actual post detailing it:

quote:

When you first arrive in the Galar Region's Wild Area, you quickly come across Pokemon who are ten or fifteen levels above you. These are specifically identified as "very strong Pokemon." You might manage to take these strong Pokemon down for lots of experience points if you have the right team, but you won't be able to catch them. Any attempt to throw a PokeBall informs you the Pokemon won't allow itself to be caught.

This catch limit exists for the same reason high-level Pokemon you receive from trades won't listen to you until you have enough Gym badges. Namely, Game Freak doesn't want you to sweep the early game with an Onix that's 15 levels higher than the surrounding wildlife. However, there's no need to fear coming across a super strong shiny Pokemon you can't catch: these "very strong Pokemon" aren't random spawns. They're anchored to a certain part of the Wild Area, and they don't seem to come in shiny varieties. Note that lower-level Pokemon spawn in the tall grass, whereas very strong Pokemon tend to hang out in the open.

Been trying to find more info on this (and the ranked battle tower stuff) but everything is flooded with pro/anti review poo poo right now.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Good news, Corsola is in and has a new evolution
Bad news, it is neither pink nor happy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn people are going nuts about this. A friend of mine is convinced the franchise is dead. I sent him Nadia Oxford's impressions article and he somehow walked away thinking she thought the game sucked poo poo, despite it being overall positive.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fsmhunk posted:

Calm down.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Venomous posted:

Eh. Didn't much like the main games of XY and SM, so I kinda think I'll skip Swish if it isn't any better. Glad to see that they've improved the competitive scene though. Couldn't be hosed with Megas and Z-Moves in the last two gens' competitive scenes, so it's nice to see they removed them. Showdown'll be a lot of fun now.

lol get hosed.

Megas were great and are the real worst removal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh no :smith:

Live Free posted:

corsola is loving dead lmao

You know I thought this meant it was cut but now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'm miffed at the cuts themselves (though it was inevitable something had to give, it's more the lack of communication regarding Home + certain move staples being axed) but Dexit was a dumb name, on the same vein as every slight scandal being called -gate. But it's seared into vocabulary now, so trying to push back against it is just yelling at clouds.

but lmao at the sheer balls needed to put one's banned parody(?) song into a Pokemon game. This really is the most appropriate outcome for both Toby and Game Freak.