Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

not joseph stalin posted:

LOL at the recreated text message where they added Volker with a "..." Unless its a screenshot Taylor took, in which case, hats off to him for documenting that thoroughly a text conversation.

I want taylor to read me bedtime stories

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1194657446159167488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cr0y posted:

Who is this counsel guy?

An actual prosecutor with some experience with crimes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...acaa_story.html

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, you're very right but also you can do a bad thing even if it's not a bad thing in a vacuum. Like, in a vacuum yea it's good to not send missiles and guns to nazis on vague cold war era 'we gotta stop the ruskies' but it's not good to do that because you want those nazis to investigate your enemies for you before you do.

Sure, no question - I'm in complete agreement with this, and I am glad he's giving this testimony.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

cr0y posted:

Who is this counsel guy?

He's counsel for the majority. The Democrats wrote the rules for impeachment this time that as part of the 45-minute questioning period that Democrats or Republicans could hand off their time to their respective counsel for questioning because obviously a trained lawyer is going to be better and more pointed at asking questions than your garden variety congressperson.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

This strikes me as a really good argument for the U.S. not to be involved in Ukraine, though.

it is an argument for maintaining the peace by continuing to let russia dominate its former empire, yes. that said, russia's army is not the ussr red army, and the realpolitik need to allow russia to govern its former empire by military force is seriously diminished compared to trying to impose a general "one country does not deal with its issues with another country via invasion" principle* as well as trying to allow Ukraine to escape Russian domination.

*yes, this is also honored in the breach by the United States

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

The biggest advantage this has over Mueller is A) none of these people seem to be actively going senile, so that's nice, and B) 'we all thought it was clear trump wanted personal gain for aid' is a much more easily expressed thing than the fifty layers of That Russia poo poo.

that and this guy sounds like what people hoped mueller instead of droopy dog who didnt answer poo poo.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Majorian posted:

Sure, no question - I'm in complete agreement with this, and I am glad he's giving this testimony.

Then you better fix major gaps in your knowledge, starting with the Budapest Memorandum.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xarthor posted:

He's counsel for the majority. The Democrats wrote the rules for impeachment this time that as part of the 45-minute questioning period that Democrats or Republicans could hand off their time to their respective counsel for questioning because obviously a trained lawyer is going to be better and more pointed at asking questions than your garden variety congressperson.

yeah basically. they're doing this for two reasons:

1) congresspeople are 90% horrid at witness questioning, and usually waste their five minutes grandstanding. they have an actual litigator who does this professionally
2) by giving this guy 45 straight minutes, he can get a full story out of the guy without giving republicans a chance to disrupt the testimony every five minutes, so the story will hang together better (or if it's a hostile witness, to keep the pressure on until he cracks rather than giving him a break every 5 minutes)

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

Xarthor posted:

...a trained lawyer is going to be better and more pointed at asking questions than your garden variety congressperson.

Surely the Republicans will do the same thing instead of bringing in several rodeo clowns...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Then you better fix major gaps in your knowledge, starting with the Budapest Memorandum.

I'm well-aware of the Budapest Memorandum. I'm also aware of arguments that the U.S. is as much in violation of the Memorandum as Russia is. Are you?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1194660033138741249

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

evilweasel posted:

in case anyone is curious about the upcoming HEARSAY!!!!! objection about the testimony of overhearing what trump said to sondland

the strongest hearsay exception is a statement by the opposing party: as trump is on trial, anything trump said that was overheard by anyone else is admissible despite being hearsay

Uhhh I think you’ll find that party opponent statements are clearly defined as “statements which are not hearsay,” which is somehow undefinably different from hearsay statements subject to an exception. Since this distinction is very meaningful and important I’m going to need you to surrender your lawyer card.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

The biggest advantage this has over Mueller is A) none of these people seem to be actively going senile, so that's nice, and B) 'we all thought it was clear trump wanted personal gain for aid' is a much more easily expressed thing than the fifty layers of That Russia poo poo.

also there are a lot fewer of them who are explicitly republican cops who made their bones talking about how no, really, Iraq has weapons of mass destruction

it's still likely to end in the same place, but The Optics (tm) are a hell of a lot better this time around than the cast of SNL gathering in public loving prayer around a shrine

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Majorian posted:

This strikes me as a really good argument for the U.S. not to be involved in Ukraine, though.

But Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and they are still occupying Crimea. The US and Europe have to step in now. Stopping the invasion of other countries is like the primary goal of alliances.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trump felt he had been "wronged" by Ukraine and the Biden investigations were what they "owed" him to fix things

E: Haha they used the word extortion finally

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Old Surly posted:

Surely the Republicans will do the same thing instead of bringing in several rodeo clowns...

It’s pretty hard to miss Gym Jordan. He is the only one without a jacket and he brought a giant sign.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
there is is!! "bribery, extortion"

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Holy poo poo! "regardless of what you call it.. quid pro quo, extortion, bribery, abuse of power..." that's a hell of a question.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ok I like this being done by a lawyer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So many sound bites.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RBG retired during Obama’s term thankfully.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

But Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and they are still occupying Crimea. The US and Europe have to step in now. Stopping the invasion of other countries is like the primary goal of alliances.

Ukraine is not an ally of the U.S. It is not a NATO member or an EU member. We do not have to step in, and we should not step in unless we want to turn the country into a no man's land for a massive proxy war.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Goddamn Goldman is a loving shark

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Majorian posted:

I'm well-aware of the Budapest Memorandum. I'm also aware of arguments that the U.S. is as much in violation of the Memorandum as Russia is. Are you?

"Slavs are really aliens" has filled up my quote of insane theories for the region in a week. It's hard to be more in breech than annexation combined with occupation of half of another region.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

Uhhh I think you’ll find that party opponent statements are clearly defined as “statements which are not hearsay,” which is somehow undefinably different from hearsay statements subject to an exception. Since this distinction is very meaningful and important I’m going to need you to surrender your lawyer card.

absolutely brutal

evilweasel has no choice but to resign from his posting career

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I know everyone is saying it, but man, a real litigator makes so much difference. It's the only way to go.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So, just tuning in for bits now and then but what will the Fox spin be on this tonight? Like others mentioned it's waaaaaay more cut and dry and documented than the Mueller investigation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AhhYes posted:

I know everyone is saying it, but man, a real litigator makes so much difference. It's the only way to go.

:same:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just turned on the hearing again and hearing the phrase "something like a drug deal" is amazing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Neo Rasa posted:

So, just tuning in for bits now and then but what will the Fox spin be on this tonight? Like others mentioned it's waaaaaay more cut and dry and documented than the Mueller investigation.

Fox will just be airing a segment on the latest Ronco invention rather than actually even trying to spin it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oxsnard posted:

Goddamn Goldman is a loving shark

He's a former SDNY AUSA. He's basically spent a decade prosecuting criminals.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

cr0y posted:

Hearing this dude makes me want to be a lawyer but then I remember all of the dry legal texts that put me to sleep in college :(

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

AhhYes posted:

Yeah, stripping away the bullshit political posturing, this is an extremely effective way to question witnesses.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

The Fox spin is to run the gently caress away as fast as possible.

https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/status/1194654981862969344
(posted earlier)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

cr0y posted:

Yeah that was a good call.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ewiley posted:

Yeah, stripping away the bullshit political posturing, this is an extremely effective way to question witnesses.

It is almost like this is how it should be done.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

augh

this shame, it hurts

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Slowpoke! posted:

It’s pretty hard to miss Gym Jordan. He is the only one without a jacket and he brought a giant sign.

Seriously whats with the no jacket? I mean I hate suits, but I equally hate the shirts and ties as well so why doesn't he just go full CHUD and wear his wrestling spandex.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for Nunez' time to start so we can hear him whine about Hunter Biden. It's going to land like a wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Failed Imagineer posted:

My Ukrainian friend from Kyiv pronounces it like Kyiv

Kiowa