Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd like F&F a lot more if they just accepted what they are and gave everyone weird colorful 80s GI Joe costumes with wacky themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought this Shaw guy was also a bad guy. I never saw anything except this new movie since Tokyo Drift.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tenzarin posted:

I thought this Shaw guy was also a bad guy. I never saw anything except this new movie since Tokyo Drift.

People say the series became the Avengers with #5 but it also shares a lot of similarities with Dragon Ball Z in how the crew grows ever larger from friends and heroes earlier in the series coming back and recruiting/reforming villains.

Also the increasing "power levels".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tenzarin posted:

He was the bad guy in 7 but teamed up with the good guys in 8 and had such good chemistry with The Rock in 8 they decided to make a spin off with the 2 of them.

You really should watch 5,6 and 7. Not for back story or anything, just because it's a near perfect dumb action movie trilogy

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The F&F movies know exactly what they are and they are wonderful. I just need them to hurry up and drive fast cars in space.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

The answer is about 5k pounds for a Huey. Unless that Huey is particularly fast and furious, then who knows how much it can haul.

I'm sure they had a helicopter expert on set to make sure everything was realistic.

Ok, lets say two of the tow trucks also activate NOS while that are pulling the other tow trucks which are all attached to the helicopter. What kinda of force is that placing the fast and furious helicopter under?

Also can a tow truck also activate it's NOS system without damaging the car its towing?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

I also have another fast and the furious question.

They daisy chain tow trucks attached to some kinda of military helicopter. It's a fancy skynet robot enhanced helicopter. Ok, they attached 4 tow trucks in a row, lets say they each weigh 1.5 tons. And because they have some farcical movie helicopter, how much tonnage can a military helicopter carry before it like blows it's engine?

The cargo hook on an UH-60 is rated to 8,000lbs, while the total gross weight of the helicopter is 22,000 lbs. So to figure out how much it can lift you add up the basic weight of the helicopter (Engines, airframe, oil, etc), add in the weight of the crew, add in the weight of any equipment such as door guns, survival gear, body armor, and add the weight of the fuel on board and what remains is the rated limit of what the aircraft can weigh. Usually a UH-60 loaded with crew and fuel weighs around 14,500 lbs. 22,000 - 14,500 = 7,500 lbs of carrying capacity.

Now you also have to factor in the effects of heat and altitude on the engine's performance. Their rated output is calculated at 15*C at sea level. Warmer temperatures and high altitudes mean a decrease in the performance of the engines due to the thinner air having less oxygen and lift producing characteristics. Now, I've only seen the trailer to Hobbes and Shaw, but it looks like the helicopter stuff is happening on a tropical island, so the engines should be performing close to their rated power.

So, a UH-60 should be able lift 4 tons under those conditions. If the weight of the tow trucks together was greater than that, one of two things would happen. One is that the engines reach the limit of power they are able to produce before they are able to lift the weight off the ground. To prevent damage to the engines, the control module cuts fuel to the engines until they drop back into their normal range then re-introduces fuel. This has the effect of drooping the rotor RPM on the aircraft and causing it to settle towards the ground. If this happens too severely the aircraft could crash. The other thing that could happen is the engines produce more power than the airframe is rated for, which means that the pilot can apply more power from the engine to the aircraft than the aircraft can handle, which will damage the transmission and other components. The is usually prevented by the pilot monitoring a gauge of applied aircraft power or "torque."

So if the Rock and company daisy chained six two trucks together and attached the trucks to a UH-60 Black Hawk, they would be able to tether the Black Hawk to a particular spot as the helicopter couldn't physically lift the total weight. They wouldn't necessarily be able to move the aircraft unless they were able to apply more force than the aircraft was creating to keep it in one spot, and this would factor into the power of the truck's engines versus the helicopter's.

So basically if you could spear a Black Hawk with a tow cable like in the Empire Strikes Back you could pin it to one place if you had more weight than it could shift, but you wouldn't be able to drag it along with the cable unless you had stronger engines than the helicopter. The Rock wouldn't be able to pull it out of the sky with his bare hands and a rope, but a strong enough winch could if it was anchored securely.

This answer has gone on way too long, but basically helicopters in movies are magic machines that mainly exist to blow up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh also they weren't hooked to like the normal lifting area of a helicopter. You know how like attack helicopters have those little wings with missiles? It was tied around that. Not like the bottom of the helicopter.

Jesus Christ! Your answer is so loving detailed. Yea, they were like only 20-30 feet from the ground also, if like the engine turned off. They would have been splat all over the ground in like less that 1 second.

I also take it that the cargo hook itself is one of the most structural solid parts of the helicopter which has an incredible amount of yield strength to protect the itself from damage from lifting heavy objects. And other parts of the helicopter wouldn't be able to lift a heavy mass as well as the cargo hook.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 11, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can't get over expectations of the laws of physics being important to your enjoyment of a Fast and Furious film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Shhhhhhhhh, were doing important work here!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Shhhhhhhhh, were doing important work here!

I don't want opinions on the Fast and Furious franchise from people who haven't seen number 5.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With greater understanding, Presenting Shaw and Hobbs might be the most influential Fast and the Furious movie since 2 Fast 2 Furious!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Oh also they weren't hooked to like the normal lifting area of a helicopter. You know how like attack helicopters have those little wings with missiles? It was tied around that. Not like the bottom of the helicopter.

Jesus Christ! Your answer is so loving detailed. Yea, they were like only 20-30 feet from the ground also, if like the engine turned off. They would have been splat all over the ground in like less that 1 second.

I also take it that the cargo hook itself is one of the most structural solid parts of the helicopter which has an incredible amount of yield strength to protect the itself from damage from lifting heavy objects. And other parts of the helicopter wouldn't be able to lift a heavy mass as well as the cargo hook.

Yeah, if a rope was around the wing stores it would either tear the wing off, or it could cause the aircraft to go into dynamic rollover, where in it rolls too much to one side to maintain lift and topples over and crashes.

Helicopter stunts were cooler prior to CGI when you had to have actual aircraft.

Check out this stunt from T2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7auKRPiNGU&t=69s

An actual Bell 206 flying under a bridge. Wasn't faked, they just did it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I can't get over expectations of the laws of physics being important to your enjoyment of a Fast and Furious film.

How Tie fighters fly in atmosphere is the physics question I want answered. Wings don’t work like that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

How Tie fighters fly in atmosphere is the physics question I want answered. Wings don’t work like that.

IIRC starships switch to repulsor lift engines in atmosphere, the same technology that speeder bikes, Jabba’s sail barge, etc. use

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are three John ford silent Westerns I could show to set up Stage Coach?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are three John ford silent Westerns I could show to set up Stage Coach?

3 Bad Men is essential. Tom Santschi's performance is great and anticipates John Wayne's persona by a decade.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

IIRC starships switch to repulsor lift engines in atmosphere, the same technology that speeder bikes, Jabba’s sail barge, etc. use

Speeder bikes are aerodynamic and Jabba's barge just kind of floats (and is still at least slightly aerodynamic). It's Star Wars, so I can't expect too much realism; I just figured they'd bring out a different imperial ship for atmospheric fights.

I don't think they showed a Tie fighter flying through the air in any of the prior movies so it was a little weird seeing it in TFA and then Rogue One.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the answer is The Force y'all

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*notices TIE fighter flying through Regular Atmosphere* The Force is strong with this one

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, I've made the following list of westerns for my freinds to watch and discuss, in something more consistent and serious than just a regular movie night. We did this previously with 10 Kurosawa films and it went well.

This list is already much larger than the Kurosawa list, but is there anything I absolutely must add? Or any glaringly bad choices? I've seen some of these but not many. I plan to watch them in chronological order except that Unforgiven will be last, after Tombstone.

The Great Train Robbery 1903
Hell's Hinges 1916
straight shooter 1917
iron horse 1924
Charlie Chaplain Gold Rush 1925
3 Bad Men 1926
Stage Coach 1939
My darling clementine 1946
Fort Apache 1948
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon 1949
Rio Grande 1950
Shane 1953
The Searchers 1956
Rio bravo 1959
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 1962
El Dorado 1966
True Grit 1969
For a Fistfull of Dollars 1964
For a Few Dollars More 1965
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 1966
Once upon a time in the west 1968
High Plains Drifter 1973
Tombstone 1993
Unforgiven 1992

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I might strike one of the Sergio/Clint movies for The Wild Bunch

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

I might strike one of the Sergio/Clint movies for The Wild Bunch

Out of the four I listed I've only seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, which of the four would you recommend I drop? One of the three that form what I believe is a loose "man with no name" trilogy, or High Plains Drifter? Or, hell, maybe just add one more movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd probably drop Few Dollars More.

Edit: and I'd probably find a way to sneak Johnny Guitar in there, too

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 13, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Speeder bikes are aerodynamic and Jabba's barge just kind of floats (and is still at least slightly aerodynamic). It's Star Wars, so I can't expect too much realism; I just figured they'd bring out a different imperial ship for atmospheric fights.

I don't think they showed a Tie fighter flying through the air in any of the prior movies so it was a little weird seeing it in TFA and then Rogue One.

Several Star Wars video games, most notably the Rogue Squadron games, had TIEs flying in atmosphere so I was used to it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea 4 Leones might be overkill, and For a Few Dollars More is probably the best one to drop. Some probably would say it's better than Fistful but I disagree AND it's somewhat similar to the superior The Good the Bad and The Ugly so it might feel a bit redundant when you watch them all.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's a brief shot and I doubt George thought about it all that much, but IIRC in A New Hope when the X-Wings are taking off to attack the Death Star they kinda hover straight up before turning and flying away

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Eh, I like Few Dollars More much more than Fistful.

Also, add High Noon to that list bruh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Eh, I like Few Dollars More much more than Fistful.

Also, add High Noon to that list bruh.

In fact, take Rio Bravo off the list and replace it with High Noon.

Personally I really enjoy Fistful's more streamlined story. Obviously a lot of that is due to Leone making an adaptation of a story that had already been successful, but most of his other stuff has a tendency to be more meandering.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'd probably throw one or both of Winchester '83 and The Naked Spur on there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, I might give More a slight edge but if you're going for a canon list the Red Harvest/Yojimbo/Fistful template shows up everywhere

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do I have enough Henry Fonda westerns to set up his cast against type appearance in Once Upon a Time in the West? I have no clue what Westerns he was in before that, but I understand it's part of the hook.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He's in My Darling Clementine, which should be enough, but I wouldn't sweat it in any case. It's a masterpiece whether you have that context or not

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Maybe it's too modern but The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is phenomenal in my book.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never seen it but I've heard it's good and would like to watch it some time. I kind of thought that that, once we'd watched through to Unforgiven, we'd be prepared to watch on our own any modern western like that, or Bone Tomahawk, Buster Scruggs, etc. But I'll admit I'm also biased towards wanting to end on Unforgiven, I love it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 13, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Maybe it's too modern but The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is phenomenal in my book.

Very, very good film. Agreed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've never seen it but I've heard it's good and would like to watch it some time. I kind of thought that that, once we'd watched through to Unforgiven, we'd be prepared to watch on our own any modern western like that, or Bone Tomahawk, Buster Scruggs, etc. But I'll admit I'm also biased towards wanting to end on Unforgiven, I love it.

And jarmusch's Dead Man, The Quick and the Dead, the True Grit remake, Hostiles, Sisters Brothers, City Slickers

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seconding Sisters Brothers, thirding Assassination of Jesse James, adding The Proposition.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Seconding Sisters Brothers, thirding Assassination of Jesse James, adding The Proposition.

Ok, if I wanted to add fewer than a half dozen "modern westerns" to show after Unforgiven and Tombstone, dating from the 90s to today, what are the five I absolutely have to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Good, The Bad, and The Weird is all kinda of great.