Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Why didn't they do Log Horizon instead, man. Shiroe and Akatsuki would have been cute and funny. Or Slime guy, I've never read it but it looks fun.

IIRC people in the industry don't like the Log Horizon guy for some reason, tax evasion I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

sirtommygunn posted:

IIRC people in the industry don't like the Log Horizon guy for some reason, tax evasion I think?

Didnt that guy get in trouble for tax evasion, get everything squared away and paid up then immediately get in trouble again

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Master of the Tax Database

Whoa ohhhhhhh oh ohhhhh

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Meme Emulator posted:

Didnt that guy get in trouble for tax evasion, get everything squared away and paid up then immediately get in trouble again

ugh, is this why that show never came back?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Meme Emulator posted:

I just read up on it, he got sentenced to probation. The prosecution wanted a harsher sentence because they thought it was intentional, but they didn't get it.

Nullsmack posted:

ugh, is this why that show never came back?

The show was on NHK, aka the government network. So probably not the sort to associate with a tax evader.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

Only the first season though.

Season 2 is getting ruined by including Incel Hero.

I'll wait and see, because Kazuma might get to poo poo all over him and I'll love that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are we talking about the Ufotable guy or are there multiple tax evasion guys in the industry?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are we talking about the Ufotable guy or are there multiple tax evasion guys in the industry?

Another, lots of people (and Yoshi) evade taxes.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Saw it last night, had a good theater experience (once the guy behind stopped with the "Titties!") and want to chime in it was worth it for the sound system during the climax.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tyberius posted:

Saw it last night, had a good theater experience (once the guy behind stopped with the "Titties!") and want to chime in it was worth it for the sound system during the climax.

We had a lot of "useless goddess!" in the theater, which was wrong and terrible and they wouldn't even sign the contract or buy the soap we'll get through to them eventually

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Yeah.

That's still a high school junior dating a freshman. I'm not sure how typical that is in America, much less Japan.

That's not crazy and is relatively common.

It makes sense for Kazuma to date either Megumin or Darkness considering their relative ages (he should date Darkness though)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
dont date the crazy

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

dont date the crazy

you heard it here first, mentally unwell people do not deserve to be loved

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dont date the crazy

Okay, but are you talking about Kazuma, Megumin, Darkness, Aqua, or another character of the cast?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay, but are you talking about Kazuma, Megumin, Darkness, Aqua, or another character of the cast?

Especially do not date Thumbs Up Mohawk Man. He is an Artisan Weaver. He will dress you up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tyberius posted:

I like going to those fancy ones where you get reclining seats and waiters, only because viewers behave much better (and you can drink), but this was just general admission. Thank goodness that my audience just laughed at the appropriate times and was not otherwise annoying.

I wanted to get a census by sitting in the back but I read the seating chart wrong and sat closer to the front :sweatdrop:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheKingofSprings posted:

(he should date Darkness though)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dont date the crazy

That disqualifies everyone in that world.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yes

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've been reading volume 5 since I can't make the movie, there's a line where Megumin specifically says she just turned 14. I have no idea how old Kazuma is, maybe 16?

At the start of the series, Megumin was 13 and Kazuma was 16. At the current point in the light novel series, she is 14 and he is 17. In the anime, it should be 14/16. Kazuma is about 2.5 years older than her.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think of it, our audience (central NJ theater) was perfectly behaved. The only outright outward weeb was one girl who came in a kigurumi but that's drat near harmless.

Same thing happened when I went to see Bunny Girl Senpai last month, same area. There was even a father and daughter that went to see it together, so wholesome.

Good on you, Jersey weeb crowd

On topic, I futzed around and apparently Kazuma and Megumin are actually a canon pairing from later in the novels. Given light novel harems I was expecting no actual pairing, or even First Girl Wins, but drat am I glad that Kazumin is an actual thing. It seems like it just works out, kinda.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I could never see an Aqua/Kazuma pairing working at all. They're super awkward even as friends.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

I could never see an Aqua/Kazuma pairing working at all. They're super awkward even as friends.

Also, he's tried to find her attractive and can't.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
She's just way too old for him. He's into younger, little sister types.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nalin posted:

She's just way too old for him. He's into younger, little sister types.

But he specifically chose a succubus that was older than him!

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
There's like zero romantic tension between aqua and kazuma and that's fantastic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The original Log Horizon author went to jail for tax evasion. The light novels have resumed but there was a good 2-3 year gap.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Takoluka posted:

Also, he's tried to find her attractive and can't.

She was attractive right up.until she started talking to him, and made fun of the way he died. Their relationship of mutual antagonism was then born.

Then again, they'd make a perfect 50s sitcom couple. Mutual loating, but they'd never actually split up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Syritta posted:

There's like zero romantic tension between aqua and kazuma and that's fantastic

And the romantic tension between him and Darkness that exists is pretty one sided.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kazuma and Aqua have like a top 5 platonic anime friendship

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I cannot imagine a functional relationship between Aqua and anybody.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mitsurugi

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rand Brittain posted:

I cannot imagine a functional relationship between Aqua and anybody.

I can't imagine a functional anything with Aqua involved.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
functional? maybe not. fun? absolutely

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nah it's easy. Aqua would tell Mitsurugi to do things, he'd do them. Aqua is pleased with this arrangement.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Truga posted:

functional? maybe not. fun? absolutely
It's fun until the nth time when Aqua does something self-defeating and you realize that no matter what you do, this is going to keep happening forever.

Tolerances will vary, but Aqua owning herself and dragging everyone around her down is neverending.

Shinjobi posted:

Nah it's easy. Aqua would tell Mitsurugi to do things, he'd do them. Aqua is pleased with this arrangement.

And then Mitsurugi's faith in the divine is shattered when he realizes that all of the things Aqua tells him to do outside of 'defeat the Demon King' have absolutely nothing to do with defeating the Demon King.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, just got back from the showing and it was pretty great. Shame they cut a number of fun scenes like the Crimson Demons massively trolling Sylvia with teleport, but they got most/all of the critical stuff in and there had to be cuts somewhere.

Mokinokaro posted:

And the romantic tension between him and Darkness that exists is pretty one sided.

It's not so much that Kazuma isn't attracted to Darkness, so much that her... eccentricities... always come out fairly quickly and honestly disturb him. Like, there's a line in one of the novels that's basically along the lines of "I'm probably her best match, because I can humor her tendencies without going too far, but just how far she wants to pursue that stuff really makes me uncomfortable". Like seriously, just from this movie, while it's played for comedy with Darkness being extremely upset that there are no male orcs left, it's also extremely in line with her overall reactions throughout the work.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Wow, that ending just goes to show that Kazutrash really deserves his nickname. Way to abuse an inexperienced woman’s trust and first love just to take advantage of and hurt her.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 15, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"I'm Mitsurugi" made me laugh my rear end off.

What a great fuckin' movie. I was dying to see it animated and boy did they deliver. 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Vengarr posted:

"I'm Mitsurugi" made me laugh my rear end off.

They place that audio way off to the right side so it sounded like someone in the audience said it the first time and I was like wtf. Then it happened again.

the film was pretty cool other than trauma counter, lack of megumin pjs, and upstaging komekko at the end!