Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

At this point the silent majority are those wide eyed watching this guy go full fasc on Tucker Carlson and whose who just wish they could never hear his name again.

Lol, basketball is having an explosion of popularity in this country because of the Raptors and whole new generation of fans and hockey has had the same racist grampy foreeeeever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think he's confused. It's the silent generation that's with him.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

odiv posted:

I think he's confused. It's the silent generation that's with him.

My old and similarly confused Grandma started a sentence by saying “There’s so many of these immigrants coming in...” and I groaned but was so happy when she ended it with... “and it’s wrong that we’re not helping them out enough to get well settled”. :)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I cannot stop laughing best one of those ever

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
mods please change my name to “tabarnak fuckkkkk”

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can someone translate it please? :(

I stopped taking french after gr 7.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The small bird is mildly cursing the cold in standard french, the crow is using some more enthusiastic Quebecois vernacular

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vintersorg posted:

Can someone translate it please? :(

I stopped taking french after gr 7.

it's a string of Quebecois cursing so you probably would not have learned it in school anyway. little french bird's mild curse about the cold weather gets overpowered by quebeccrow going off
e:fb

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thank you :)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My grade 7 French teacher explicitly told us about tabernak to tell us that culturally it's the heaviest swear and to never say it.

In retrospect, I don't know if she was playing a prank on us or if she was just that naive at what telling swears to a room full of 12 year olds would do.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

tabarnak is the greatest swear word in any language and it’s the best thing Quebec every game up with. it just feels so good to yell

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Noblesse Obliged posted:

tabarnak is the greatest swear word in any language and it’s the best thing Quebec every game up with. it just feels so good to yell

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:dogbutton:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Jun 20, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Eox posted:

i don't know poo poo about hockey, did don cherry ever actually have anything worthwhile to say about it

He was nostalgic for a style of hockey that hasn’t existed for like 25 years.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ARACHTION posted:

At this point the silent majority are those wide eyed watching this guy go full fasc on Tucker Carlson and whose who just wish they could never hear his name again.

Lol, basketball is having an explosion of popularity in this country because of the Raptors and whole new generation of fans and hockey has had the same racist grampy foreeeeever.

Considering the cost of Hockey now, I wouldn’t be surprised in a generation or two Basketball or Soccer overtake it as the #1 sport. Cherry ain’t helping.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
how many kids these days really want to spend thousands of dollars on uncomfortable sports equipment and then get up at the crack of dawn to go running around on a slab of ice at 5 in the morning while getting yelled at by some red-nosed hockey dad for being utterly disinterested in the whole affair

I'm glad hockey is dying and I hope it dies out so thoroughly that in 200 years the only people that still give a poo poo about it are random starship captains stationed in the rear end end of nowhere

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Frond posted:

Considering the cost of Hockey now, I wouldn’t be surprised in a generation or two Basketball or Soccer overtake it as the #1 sport. Cherry ain’t helping.

Or rugby which is gaining traction. We'll be putting my kids in that since my wife played it for 15 years.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

Or rugby which is gaining traction. We'll be putting my kids in that since my wife played it for 15 years.

Fortunately, concussion ball will probably be banned by the time your kids are old enough.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

how many kids these days really want to spend thousands of dollars on uncomfortable sports equipment and then get up at the crack of dawn to go running around on a slab of ice at 5 in the morning while getting yelled at by some red-nosed hockey dad for being utterly disinterested in the whole affair

I'm glad hockey is dying and I hope it dies out so thoroughly that in 200 years the only people that still give a poo poo about it are random starship captains stationed in the rear end end of nowhere

On the other hand.

Frond posted:

hockey that hasn't existed for like 25 years.

My wife plays, and is a huge fan. Because of that I've started watching more of it. I never got in to hockey as a kid because we could never afford it but I remember both trying to enjoy watching it, and putting up with the sort of kids that the game attracted. That was decades ago. These days being a big prick goon that can't control their temper won't get you very far in the sport. I'm hoping that as time progresses it just keeps getting better.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Tighclops posted:

One cool thing is that any brain problems I might discover as an adult (ie: posting on this website) can definitely be traced back to getting concussed as a child many times and being encouraged to just get right back in the game

Eox posted:

i don't know poo poo about hockey, did don cherry ever actually have anything worthwhile to say about it

Yes, just this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwAI4rntFrE

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Nov 13, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

As a child I ate at the Don Cherry Sports Bar & Grill, AMA. It's where I found out about chicken fingers

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/leftynut/status/1194793737265635333?s=20

Yeah, gently caress this province.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

As a child I ate at the Don Cherry Sports Bar & Grill, AMA. It's where I found out about chicken fingers

Did you get gravy with everything?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Canadian Nationalist Party Leader Travis Patron charged after 2 women attacked in Regina

This guy:

Travis Patron is charged with assault causing bodily harm, aggravated assault and breach of probation after two women were attacked in Regina on Nov. 2.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5358611 posted:

Police were called to the 1900 block of Victoria Avenue around 2:27 a.m. CST on Nov. 2 for a report of an assault. Officers were told that two women — ages 33 and 43 — were attacked by a man.

The women had visible injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment.

Police said further investigation revealed the women had been talking with Patron earlier in the night. It's alleged that Patron offered the women a ride home, they refused, and then he assaulted them.

So, first of all, more evidence he's a nutjob. Secondly, does everyone else read this as "he beat up a couple prostitutes who rejected him due to the overwhelming bad vibes"?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

:woof:

https://twitter.com/BikingVikingMan/status/1195022636625080320?s=20

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

winnipeg is going to start turning off more streetlights at night to save money so they dont have to raise property taxes and to that all i can say is lmao

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

So, trying to google anything about this is a sea of twitter spam, pay walled articles or articles written by right wing rags. Most I can parse is she.. said a thing on TV about hockey being the realm of mostly white boys and bullying? Stirred up more complaints than Don Cherry's racist rant?

I have already spent too much time on whatever the hell this is lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find it suspect that someone in media wouldn't realize making comments like that would further rile up the segment of society who are real mad about Cherry's firing. Got some news bites out of it just like as expected.

Pretty safe to create that controversy because the mad folks would be in no way the demo for The Social.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

So, trying to google anything about this is a sea of twitter spam, pay walled articles or articles written by right wing rags. Most I can parse is she.. said a thing on TV about hockey being the realm of mostly white boys and bullying? Stirred up more complaints than Don Cherry's racist rant?

I have already spent too much time on whatever the hell this is lol.

here u go fam

quote:

Allen told viewers that she doesn't "worship at the altar of hockey" and found in her experience that those who do "all tended to be white boys who weren't, let's say, very nice."

Allen went on to say "They were not generally thoughtful, they were often bullies, their parents were able to spend five-thousand dollars a year on minor hockey -- $5,000 is a lot of money," Allen continued in Tuesday's panel discussion.

Allen pointed out "You can do other things besides spending your time in an arena; you can go on a trip and learn about the world, see other things, eh? The world is a big place, maybe get outside of that bubble.

She said for her, Don Cherry is the walking, talking representative of that type.

In Wednesday's opening segment of the CTV series, Allen acknowledged that she "struck a nerve with many people."

She said she was only speaking to her own experiences with specific people who were hockey players.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/the-social-cast-member-jessica-allen-clarifies-cherry-comments-1.4684143

and here's the thing, she's right and there's only a backlash to her comments because of white fragility

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

Did you get gravy with everything?

I had just discovered plum sauce, I had no time for gravy

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

vyelkin posted:

here u go fam

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/the-social-cast-member-jessica-allen-clarifies-cherry-comments-1.4684143

and here's the thing, she's right and there's only a backlash to her comments because of white fragility

There isn't a hint of a lie in what she said, the entire set of statements is calm and rational, and people are loosing their minds over it.

lmao

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

white conservatives want to be victims so bad that any time anybody says the word "white" now they all freak the gently caress out

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Ugh, everyone involved here kind of sucks. What Allen said isn't wrong but after reading her comments I have to admit I was a little confused to look her up and discover that she is seemingly a white woman with a successful media career who lives in Roncesvalles Village, who loves to eat at Terroni's and shop for cute outfits at vintage clothing stores, given that her critique was that hockey made her uncomfortable because of its association with affluent whiteness.

Living in the downtown core of Toronto and making fun of deplorable Canadian hockey chuds doesn't make you any less of a rich white lady who works for a lovely right-wing media company. She decries bullying in hockey? Great. Has she ever said anything about her own employer destroying the mental health of its employees? How about the way the drive for relentless profits has destroyed all local reporting and thus empowered right-wing news sources like the Sun and National Post? It's kind of ironic that she tells other people to get out of their bubble when she works for one of the organization's in Canada most dedicated to removing any platform for local non-corporate voices to get into the media.

I am tired of these performative statements where superficially progressive rich white people with privileged positions in the media make these comments that are apparently supposed to position them as somehow alienated from their own race when in fact every aspect of their lives is an example of the massive privileges they've enjoyed. Given that people from her demographic just overwhelmingly voted to re-elect the Prime Minstrel himself I think maybe they can find a less cringey way to distance themselves from the Don Cherry's of the world.

Again, what she said is not wrong and people calling her out for being racist are dumb as hell. But surely there is a better way for white Canadian journalists to signal their solidarity and to highlight the issues with hockey (including its implicit whiteness) that don't come off as the equivalent of walking up to a person of colour and saying "Aaaay loving white people amirite? Always trying to keep us sisters down, I sure hated that growing up." This does not feel like a genuine attempt to grapple with the uncomfortable role of race in defining our ideas of Canadian identity. It just feels like a lazy self serving way for affluent urban white people in Canada to distance themselves from responsibility for the system that continues to support their privileged way of life. In other words it's exactly the kind of media commentary I'd expect from a country that just re-elected Justin Trudeau.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I get where you're coming from Helsing but I think it's good she stirred the fragile white hockey identity cult pot because it's a pot that never ever get stirred and I'm glad people are talking about it. Let's stir that pot and strain out the worst offenders.

Of course I live in an area of Toronto as bougie as Roncy Village and my living room is decorated in all vintage modern teak furniture so maybe I'm a lot like this woman. "I'm glad people are talking about it" sure sounds like some Liberal bougie bullshit coming out of my mouth.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Destroy whiteness but let me keep my hot tub, is what I'm saying.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Another Bill posted:

I get where you're coming from Helsing but I think it's good she stirred the fragile white hockey identity cult pot because it's a pot that never ever get stirred and I'm glad people are talking about it. Let's stir that pot and strain out the worst offenders.

Of course I live in an area of Toronto as bougie as Roncy Village and my living room is decorated in all vintage modern teak furniture so maybe I'm a lot like this woman. "I'm glad people are talking about it" sure sounds like some Liberal bougie bullshit coming out of my mouth.

"Aaaay loving D&D IKs amirite? Always trying to keep us posters down, I sure hated that growing up."

Honestly it is a hard channel to navigate. If someone manages to find a way to do it that doesn’t look and feel performative they should share the technique.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Isizzlehorn posted:

There isn't a hint of a lie in what she said, the entire set of statements is calm and rational, and people are loosing their minds over it.

lmao

And if the circus in the US has demonstrated anything, it's that those same people can be so, so, so, so, sooooooo much worse!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Another Bill posted:

Destroy whiteness but let me keep my hot tub, is what I'm saying.

"Cold weather" is good for you

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/1194943378581942273

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there's zero happiness and zero drinkable water in the coldest parts of this country though

this butts dude sounds a little suspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Ugh, everyone involved here kind of sucks. What Allen said isn't wrong but after reading her comments I have to admit I was a little confused to look her up and discover that she is seemingly a white woman with a successful media career who lives in Roncesvalles Village, who loves to eat at Terroni's and shop for cute outfits at vintage clothing stores, given that her critique was that hockey made her uncomfortable because of its association with affluent whiteness.

love her, love her, she's a liberal