Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, I never got the hate for double team evasion until very recently

fun fact: did you know there's a gym in pokemon xd whose theme is "every trainer will spam double team" :eng101:

Clair in Gold/Silver was a great gym where there were 3 Dragonair with Thunder Wave/Dragonbreath, and then a Kingdra that used Smoke Screen. I'm surprised they didn't fit Confuse Ray in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kinda weird how blandly positive IGN and Gamespot are in comparison unless they're just coasting on a "well it's Big IP so people will probably like it and it was fast and painless for me to rush through before deadline" attitude.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Motto posted:

Kinda weird how blandly positive IGN and Gamespot are in comparison unless they're just coasting on a "well it's Big IP so people will probably like it and it was fast and painless for me to rush through before deadline" attitude.

Maybe they liked it?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pylons posted:

Maybe they liked it?

Nonsense; it must be games journalism that’s the problem.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Looking at the pokemon stat spreads right now and holy poo poo polteageist is bizarrely strong. Give it a white herb and this thing will go on a murder spree.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is there a dump of the movepool changes with the new TMs?

Also looking through it, some of the complaints about powerful TMs being moved to the 1 use ones are pretty overblown. Like yeah, Earthquake was but High Horsepower is the same drat thing with 5 less power and is still a regular TM etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Average Bear posted:

This. Wife's boyfriend isn't letting me get this quite yet.

Lol

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Flopsy posted:

Looking at the pokemon stat spreads right now and holy poo poo polteageist is bizarrely strong. Give it a white herb and this thing will go on a murder spree.

galarians like their tea strong

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still on the edge of getting this, but from what we know are there any starters that are not viable in the long run? I am kind of leaning toward Grooky for how the final evo looks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They actually made uniforms for all 18 Pokemon types. Uniforms for the gyms that don't appear can be bought for 18,000 pokedollars each.

They're all unique but Steel type in particular is anime as gently caress.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still on the edge of getting this, but from what we know are there any starters that are not viable in the long run? I am kind of leaning toward Grooky for how the final evo looks.

For the main game doesn't matter. Competitively Sobble got the short end of the stick but that won't matter until the other two get their hidden ability variants anyway.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Dehry posted:

They actually made uniforms for all 18 Pokemon types. Uniforms for the gyms that don't appear can be bought for 18,000 pokedollars each.

I love absolutely everything about this. Even my little trainer dude can get in on the Monotype action, now.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dehry posted:

My goodness I can't wait to see the bug uniform.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wait

Do the character models not have loving antialiasing?

Cmon son

Like, acceptable on a 3DS game, and I’d appreciate the aesthetic, but cmon

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The Eurogamer review saying “maybe Gigantamaxed Pokémon are an allegory for Britain’s over-enlarged image of its power as a former and now declined Empire” is my new favourite thing about this game

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

My goodness I can't wait to see the bug uniform.

The only other real unique one so far has been from Nessa's gym because they all wear that two piece swimsuit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wow that’s trash (like most bugs that aren’t Shuckle)

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Dehry posted:

Don't you mean...metal as gently caress? :c00l:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dehry posted:

The only other real unique one so far has been from Nessa's gym because they all wear that two piece swimsuit.

Can I get dreadlocks like my good friend Rillaboom?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

Can I get dreadlocks like my good friend Rillaboom?

The girl has some braids I think. Don't know about the boy.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Nonsense; it must be games journalism that’s the problem.

There are absolutely reasons to be suspicious of anyone raving about the evils of game journalism but IGN and Gamespot suck and aside from some of the future GB folk that came from Gamespot have pretty much always sucked.

Maybe their reviews are accurate but expecting them to softball a big release is not exactly a bad idea.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Reviews for big games tend to be soft unless it's really obviously bad. The audience reception can vastly differ from the reviews, so they aren't necessarily indicative of anything.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Araxxor posted:

Reviews for big games tend to be soft unless it's really obviously bad. The audience reception can vastly differ from the reviews, so they aren't necessarily indicative of anything.

I am warmer on reviews on most, but ultimately ymmv. I mean, I bounced hard off of Fire Emblem Three Houses, but I will gladly say that I am in the minority.

At the very least the positive reviews indicate that the game is not the unmitigated disaster that certain sectors of the internet are saying it is.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

When will a Pokeman game let me play as my Mii.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dehry posted:

I kinda expected big yellow bug eyes somewhere near the neck, antennae patterns on the collar and horizontal lines where extra bug legs would be on the side of the shirt but that's probably too much for a futbol uniform. I suppose that's fine.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dehry posted:

Looks exactly like a Grass shirt.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

qnqnx posted:

Looks exactly like a Grass shirt.

The Grass uniform is what Milo wears.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I kinda expected big yellow bug eyes somewhere near the neck, antennae patterns on the collar and horizontal lines where extra bug legs would be on the side of the shirt but that's probably too much for a futbol uniform. I suppose that's fine.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dehry posted:

The Grass uniform is what Milo wears.

I am seeing double, two Grass uniforms!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am warmer on reviews on most, but ultimately ymmv. I mean, I bounced hard off of Fire Emblem Three Houses, but I will gladly say that I am in the minority.

Really? Didn't that game came under fire because people wanted a strategy game and not a dating sim? Also apparently like one of the routes was unfinished and ended awkwardly. Don't think you're in the minority for not liking it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hmmmm most reviews are positive and say the game is great.

Good times ahead imo.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Araxxor posted:

Really? Didn't that game came under fire because people wanted a strategy game and not a dating sim? Also apparently like one of the routes was unfinished and ended awkwardly. Don't think you're in the minority for not liking it.

anyone complaining about horny anime girls in fire emblem is like 6 years late to the fight

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Araxxor posted:

It more than stuck the landing but it is blatantly unfinished. I am just willing to give them a break because the title is ambitious, including four full routes in game, being fulled voiced, having a lot of that fully voiced dialogue react to things you've seen in game, and so on. And the unfinished route is my favorite by far but, yeah I love the game and think it's one of the best Fire Emblems. The game is on the easy side but it feels as difficult as Awakening. :shrug:

like if you want fantasy x-com you'll be sad but Fire Emblem hasn't been fantasy x-com for at least the last two games.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 13, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Araxxor posted:

If anything most modern FE fans want more dating sim, less strategy

The game was insanely popular and there's people who complain because people complain about everything and the game is far from perfect but it's definitely a game most people liked, disliking it is definitely a minority opinion

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ok well now there's incredible precedent for all kinds of coleoptera to use and I'll be a little sad that "grass but olive colored" is what we got.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Araxxor posted:

It’s actually enormously popular and well-loved

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Motto posted:

That attitude kind of has to go into their reviews. Review scores themselves are hopelessly stupid way to encapsulate reviews but they're also pretty much the only important part of reviews in too many ways. It's a powerful number, that stupid loving number can determine whether people get bonuses, whether they get to keep their jobs or get a raise. It also factors into whether sequels get approved, if investors will get a return and seek to reinvest, if publishers and development companies keep supporting projects, etc. Just knowing that, if I was a professional reviewer tasked with slapping an idiotic number on my reviews so everyone can gloss over what I said, I'd give every game a 110, if only for the sake of any workers who stand to benefit from higher scores. Then there's the whole sketchy relationship between review outlets and publishers, but that's its own can of worms.

In any case, it seems safe to assume reviews from the biggest outlets on the most popular AAA IPs are, if nothing else, self-moderated to take into account the perceptions and expectations of those who would raise hell if a score seems too abberant for them to tolerate without harassing the reviewer. There's also some degree of bizarre faux-objectivity sometimes squirted in the pot.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I checked the new FE out from the library to see if I liked it and kinda bounced off it after a couple hours, though I can definitely see why people would like it. Being able to test these things out for free is definitely pretty great, even if I'd never in a million years actually be able to finish one of these 50+ hour games in the rental period lol

there's 22 holds on Pokemon Sword and they didn't even order a copy of Shield lmao

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s actually enormously popular and well-loved

Yeah, everything I hear on my Twitter feed and what I see in this very forum is warm on the game.

And my dislike is only because I can’t quite get into it, rather than a outright hatred of anything it did. Maybe I will revisit it at some point.

Anyway, I apologize for the off topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Araxxor posted:

I mean, the fact that it doubled down on the dating sim aspects is a big reason why it’s popular now. And it’s still a strategy game, albeit on the easier side on default. But they did release a free new difficult for the masochists who wanted the second coming of Thracia 776 or some poo poo

Sword and Shield’s situation is a bit different because there’s a lot of removal without much to compensate (I’m not hog wild about the Dex situation but a lot of my favorites did end up not making the cut). You’ll get a good enough product; but it’s also fair to just say “yeah... y’all probably could have done a lot better than this” too