Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zegermans posted:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1194652537523245057

Chapo boys are really bad about pretending this impeachment stuff is too complicated. Teapot Dome was complicated, what Nixon actually did for a coverup was complicated. The president on tape saying "do me a favor and investigate my political opponent or else you don't get your aid" isn't.

It's not that it's complicated, it's inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
of all of the many crimes trump has done in office, blatantly profiting off his presidency, why are they focusing on a loving phone call to a shithole eastern european country

i swear, the entire spat with russia is entirely because ukraine thinks it's a real country when it clearly isn't

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

if the Democrats were really the Resistance they would impeach Trump for giving weapons to Ukraine in the first place

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

if the Democrats were really the Resistance they would impeach Trump for giving weapons to Ukraine in the first place

it's like this

but all of the letters are the times Trump said something mean on the TV

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Atrocious Joe posted:

or for having his name on giant buildings everywhere and charging his secret service detail for golf carts at his own clubs and poo poo

they made jimmy carter give up his peanut farm, that should be a slam dunk lol

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

MizPiz posted:

imo the complicated part is getting GOP senators to vote Trump out over something completely inconsequential to their voters except in how it pertains to sleepy joe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they don't need to successfully impeach him, just to publicly poo poo on him and force republicans to defend it and smear it all over themselves too

instead of just rolling over and peeing a lil like them seem to actually want to

remember, republicans came out p far ahead of their failed impeachment of clinton - it won them congress and then the presidency

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

MizPiz posted:

there are impeachment hearings on the TV on all channels today

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember, republicans came out p far ahead of their failed impeachment of clinton - it won them congress and then the presidency
It's true, the Republicans win a lot of elections. But if we won elections, we'd be just like them! The only moral way to imitate Republicans is to adopt all their policies and beg their voters to like us.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

zegermans posted:

The media is usually fascinated by inconsequential things. Did you already forget about russiagate?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zegermans posted:

The media loves stupid poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

zegermans posted:

Amber a'Lee Frost.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or for having his name on giant buildings everywhere and charging his secret service detail for golf carts at his own clubs and poo poo

they made jimmy carter give up his peanut farm, that should be a slam dunk lol

I mean, if they want a real reason the dead and disappearing kids in concentration camps on the border is their best one legally and emotionally.

lol but Obama helped build those so it's not gonna happen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I expect that ignoring half a dozen clear-cut cases of corruption kinda hurts your case when you decide to finally impeach someone for a clear-cut case of corruption.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i remember one of the early things republicans claimed back p soon after the election was "what will his (adult) children do if trump sells off all of his real estate dealings for a blind trust"

lol

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

zegermans posted:

Chapo boys are really bad about pretending this impeachment stuff is too complicated. Teapot Dome was complicated, what Nixon actually did for a coverup was complicated. The president on tape saying "do me a favor and investigate my political opponent or else you don't get your aid" isn't.

they either think this is, or want this to be, russiagate v2. but, given how this has played out already, it's clear that while it may be another russiagate on its merits, it's going to be more consequential. not in the sense that impeachment, even if it passes the house, could end up getting enough votes in the senate to remove trump. but if you don't think this will affect how people vote in 2020 and how the dem primary and then the general election play out you're out of your mind

there are so many low-hanging, cynical yet correct leftist takes on this (that still let you own the dems), so the chapo takes on this seem really dumb to me

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Nov 13, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Saying that the Ukraine impeachment stuff is "too complicated" sounds like a lazy and overly simplistic way of saying that Americans will see a messy situation with probable corruption on both sides and just default to their partisan loyalties, especially once the process goes from a TV abstraction to an actual choice between the Republican candidate and the Democratic one.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

they either think this is, or want this to be, russiagate v2. but, given how this has played out already, it's clear that while it may be another russiagate on its merits, it's going to be more consequential. not in the sense that impeachment, even if it passes the house, could end up getting enough votes in the senate to remove trump. but if you don't think this will affect how people vote in 2020 and how the dem primary and then the general election play out you're out of your mind

there are so many low-hanging, cynical yet correct leftist takes on this (that still let you own the dems), so the chapo takes on this seem really dumb to me

Will has said that impeachment is a good idea not because it'll work but because it'll piss trump the hell off and energize Democrats who really want to see their party doing something which sounds like the correct take to me

Why not? The republicans impeached Clinton and it sure helped their political agenda at the time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Helsing posted:

Saying that the Ukraine impeachment stuff is "too complicated" sounds like a lazy and overly simplistic way of saying that Americans will see a messy situation with probable corruption on both sides and just default to their partisan loyalties, especially once the process goes from a TV abstraction to an actual choice between the Republican candidate and the Democratic one.
Y'know, I'm starting to think that trying to flip Honorable Conservatives isn't a viable strategy!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shipon posted:

Will has said that impeachment is a good idea not because it'll work but because it'll piss trump the hell off and energize Democrats who really want to see their party doing something which sounds like the correct take to me

that's my base level view impeachment, as well. i just think chapo's missing out by failing to cover all the dumb inside baseball poo poo that goes on between democratic elites about impeachment. i realize a lot of this poo poo is fodder for lib wonks, and so not really within their wheelhouse. still tho, i've found their coverage/commentary to be kind of weak, even considering what chapo is and who it is for

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

zegermans posted:

thankfully, I am at work and not watching the Democrats piss all over themselves

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Finicums Wake posted:

i just think chapo's missing out by failing to cover all the dumb inside baseball poo poo that goes on between democratic elites about impeachment.
Yeah, that sounds like a real knee-slapper.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
impeachment is always about politics, not about legality

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Victory Position posted:

thankfully, I am at work and not watching the Democrats piss all over themselves

they're actually doing surprisingly well

the republicans are in the "whine terrified" mode and the democrats are treating them like tenants trying to make excuses for a late rent check.

it's still just spectacle, but it's a lot less embarrassing a spectacle than preceding ones

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

democrats, the landlords of the political arena

Serf
May 5, 2011

zegermans posted:

the joke is that it will mean about as much as the sassy reply gif in the tweet. its all meaningless bullshit because the senate is not going to impeach trump

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i say swears online posted:

democrats, the l*n*l*r*s of the political arena

please don't use the l-slur on SA tia respect our Property-Owning-Americans (POA) and vote blue no matter who!!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Finicums Wake posted:

that's my base level view impeachment, as well. i just think chapo's missing out by failing to cover all the dumb inside baseball poo poo that goes on between democratic elites about impeachment. i realize a lot of this poo poo is fodder for lib wonks, and so not really within their wheelhouse. still tho, i've found their coverage/commentary to be kind of weak, even considering what chapo is and who it is for

Please loving god no

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a real knee-slapper.

chapo is at its funniest when they're reacting to clueless self-important wonk poo poo, which perfectly describes intra-dem impeachment debates

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Matt has video-games to direct others to play badly at. Please consider priorities here

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Shipon posted:

Why not? The republicans impeached Clinton and it sure helped their political agenda at the time

Virgil also expressed that he thought it would be good to have for the historical record. Not that it'll work to remove him from office, but that whether he wins or loses, we should have a convincing case of criminality that was put into formal process to impeach. I can't imagine why THIS is the smoking gun compared to his literally hundreds of other crimes, but whatever. The point is that years or decades from now there ought be a clear answer historians can point to as to whether he was a criminal or just maligned, when most living remembrance is gone.

As a history lover I can very much understand why that's important, and I also emphatically do not want to listen to the Chapos trying to figure out how to make it interesting.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Helsing posted:

Americans will see a messy situation with probable corruption on both sides and just default to their partisan loyalties, especially once the process goes from a TV abstraction to an actual choice between the Republican candidate and the Democratic one.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I think part of it is the dissonance between how much the impeachment proceedings matter (or dont) versus how much attention the news gives it. I know I'm pretty fed up with wall-to-wall coverage of some minutiae--as if it mattered!--while the same station doesn't mention anything about actually interesting poo poo like Bolivia or Chile

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1194703985569075200?s=21

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

zegermans posted:

you're right that it's simple, but once you understand it, why continue talking about it at all? you just become cnn at that point

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also feeding into the trump-news-industrial-complex is insanely toxic and should be avoided at all costs. that goes for the trump thread here as well

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i need chapo to cover the impeachment because i only get my news from them and from old star trek deep space nine episodes on netflix

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Shipon posted:

of all of the many crimes trump has done in office, blatantly profiting off his presidency, why are they focusing on a loving phone call to a shithole eastern european country

i swear, the entire spat with russia is entirely because ukraine thinks it's a real country when it clearly isn't

My money is on the fact that Trump was threatening to cancel an arms deal. It's all fun and games until the MIC misses a payday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

THS posted:

i need chapo to cover the impeachment because i only get my news from them and from old star trek deep space nine episodes on netflix

I get my news via the idiots on social media thread, it's great.