Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ReidRansom posted:

OK that's a new one to me. Democrats worked with Ukraine to influence 2016 against Trump??
It's a completely fabricated conspiracy theory with zero evidence that Trump has latched onto because it exonerates his idol, Vlad.

It's literally a Qanon thing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

I'll accept that as a tax. Well played.

This is going to be a hell of a fortnight if they maintain this clowncar energy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

I'll accept that as a tax. Well played.

This is going to be a hell of a fortnight if they maintain this clowncar energy.

Nunes can't even maintain it through a single hearing.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I'm pretty happy with how well the dems have been keeping the whistle-blowers identity a secret. Whoever they are, I hope the cons never get them murdered.

Isn't stopping the crazies like Alex Jones from putting that person's name out there.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ReidRansom posted:

OK that's a new one to me. Democrats worked with Ukraine to influence 2016 against Trump??

A bunch of Ukranian politicians aligned with Poroshenko savaged Trump in the candidate phase of the 2016 election, something a lot of politicians in US allies did, on written/online platforms. The republicans are trying to tie the black ledger which led to Manafort's downfall to a Democratic hit job against Trump to this narrative to paint a picture of Ukraine interfering in the elections in Hillary's favor.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What's the motion that the republican lawyer wants to make?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I'm pretty happy with how well the dems have been keeping the whistle-blowers identity a secret. Whoever they are, I hope the cons never get them murdered.

yeah but doesnt trump know it was the russians because you know the whole muellr thing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

I WANNA YELL AT THE WHISTLEBLOWER, I believe

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

evilweasel posted:

To add op Ed articles from the nyt about Obama into the record.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ReidRansom posted:

There isn't any basis for it. There was consternation in Ukraine over Candidate Trump's close ties to Manafort (who was close to former President Yanukovych) and Russia which led to them reaching out to the Clinton campaign, but it's not remotely comparable to Russia's actions with regards to the 2016 election.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but doesnt trump know it was the russians because you know the whole muellr thing.

Come on now :chaostrump:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

queeb posted:

To add op Ed articles from the nyt about Obama into the record.

Apparently Taylor was involved with the op Ed in regards to Ukrainian assistance at the time being not enough. Something something Obama

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

cochise posted:

Apparently Taylor was involved with the op Ed in regards to Ukrainian assistance at the time being not enough. Something something Obama

Yeah they've been digging up articles and stuff, some of which were authored by Taylor and possibly Kent. For reasons.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

cochise posted:

it's a really dumb tactic by republicans as it shows that he's not some liberal communist scum

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

it's a really dumb tactic by republicans as it shows that he's not some liberal communist scum

Yeah if anything it makes him look nonpartisan and puts into perspective his concerns about the aid being held up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Mitch Mcconnel does not give a single gently caress about Trump if it looks like these proceedings are going to hurt gop chances in 2020 (and they are). The damning thing for conservatives with this is that, while Trump is popular with a portion of their base 15% of Rs already think Trump should be impeached. They don't have a path to winning much of anything if that much of their base refuses to pull the lever for them.

Plus, defending Trump now means he becomes your personal albatross should be commit any other illegal act between now and when he leaves office. This is the main reason outside of Graham, almost no one in the senate has come out in his defense at all.

Removal from office is already 49 support/46 object

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 13, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Vox Nihili posted:

That's an artifact of the top-two "jungle" primary system California uses. Something like 12 republicans ran for that seat, they just didn't finish in the top two in the primary (in part because they heavily split the GOP vote).

You need actual human beings who are willing to debase themselves and run these campaigns.

Republicans can make that happen even in the bluest states because their constituents are insane, and you can easily find an insane person to run in Vermont against Bernie or whatever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Piell posted:

I WANNA YELL AT THE WHISTLEBLOWER, I believe

yeah this, THE REAL PERSON WE NEED TO SUBPOENA IS THE WHISTLEBLOWER

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Mitch Mcconnel does not give a single gently caress about Trump if it looks like these proceedings are going to hurt gop chances in 2020 (and they are). The damning thing for conservatives with this is that, while Trump is popular with a portion of their base 15% of Rs already think Trump should be impeached. They don't have a path to winning much of anything if that much of their base refuses to pull the lever for them.

Plus, defending Trump now means he becomes your personal albatross should be commit any other illegal act between now and when he leaves office. This is the main reason outside of Graham, almost no one in the senate has come out in his defense at all.

McConnell has the advantage that he can bring Trump down all while claiming "his role as Majority Leader / oath / the law requires that he do so" and say that he took no pleasure in it, etc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

You need actual human beings who are willing to debase themselves and run these campaigns.

Republicans can make that happen even in the bluest states because their constituents are insane, and you can easily find an insane person to run in Vermont against Bernie or whatever.

Running statewide campaigns also requires a ton of money and time, effectively giving up a year of your life. Not to mention that losing actively harms your chances of winning in the future.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
C-Span feed has reporters questioning one of the R-Reps, and the argument is "people were yawning, these are supposed to be the most compelling witnesses," yada yada.

Seems they're really trying to hype these as boring.

EDIT: HAHAHA "It's hard when these two witnesses admit to never talking to Trump" "So are you going to ask Trump to allow first-hand witnesses to testify" "...well"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DarkHorse posted:

C-Span feed has reporters questioning one of the R-Reps, and the argument is "people were yawning, these are supposed to be the most compelling witnesses," yada yada.

ATTENTION AMERICANS PLEASE DO NOT TURN ON YOUR TVS TO SEE EVIDENCE OF THE PRESIDENTS CRIMES

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Removal from office is already 49 support/46 object

I think McConnell's plan is to let the Republicans vote however they feel will best save their seat. For most of them, their bigger danger is getting primaried, and that's that.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah that's not much of a defense, but I guess it was enough to sweep the Mueller Report under the carpet, so why not try again?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

There's a name out there in wacko RWM circles, but nobody reputable is repeating or confirming it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Low ratings, sad!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1194696050008821760

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think McConnell's plan is to let the Republicans vote however they feel will best save their seat. For most of them, their bigger danger is getting primaried, and that's that.

Exactly, about a 5% swing in impeachment popularity (much less a 10-15% as is historically the case around impeachment proceedings) changes the calculus completely.

Significantly, to keep the potential opinion swing to a low % Trump and house Rs would both need to craft an impeccable message (which they have shown zero capacity for) and then stick to it flawlessly and adaptively (which they also have shown zero capacity for).

This scenario is so loving implausible and that's why basically no one in the senate not named Graham is actively defending Trump's chances

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 13, 2019

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

evilweasel posted:

There was some dumb motion he made at the very beginning of today that Schiff put on the table until the witnesses were done. It might have been about calling witnesses the Rs wanted or something? Ah, they just cut back to it, it's to subpoena the whistleblower in closed session. Looks like it failed 13-9.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Headlines from hell world (thx google news)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Wylie posted:

There was some dumb motion he made at the very beginning of today that Schiff put on the table until the witnesses were done. It might have been about calling witnesses the Rs wanted or something? Ah, they just cut back to it, it's to subpoena the whistleblower in closed session. Looks like it failed 13-9.

yeah, looks like he wanted to subpoena the whistleblower, Schiff had it delayed until after the witnesses, then they did the recess to have the vote afterwards.

Seems like a pretty effective way to shunt it out of most of the reporting of the hearings. The vote seems effectively like a completely separate issue (which it is)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

incidentally, Karina Longworth is the writer and host of one of the best podcasts ever made, "You Must Remember This," in which she goes over the history of lesser known hollywood movies, history, and scandals.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And her HUAC series was terrific and relevant.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

ummel posted:

Headlines from hell world (thx google news)

“Republicans go on the offensive”, what’s their strategy, Charge of the Light Brigade?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

“Republicans go on the offensive”, what’s their strategy, Charge of the Light Brigade?

It’s really that 300 thing innit..except without oily muscles and Persia is the Democrats and..

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

It’s so in 2035 Fox News can look back on the Republicans and claim they wanted to impeach the Democratic Party president, Donald Trump, for his heinous crimes involving 9/11 and Benghazi, and the Neo-Gilded Age Rich Children can point to the headline as proof.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ringo Star Get posted:

The Charge of the Light Brigade worked, this is more akin to Pickett's Charge.

e: wait no it didn't, let's say both are applicable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pickett's Charge

I don't know enough GOP reps to try to make a pun name out of that

e: and also I was beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene