Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't understand what they won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anatomi posted:

A bunch of IPs and a bunch of staff

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ETPC posted:

im intensely depressed that zenimax won in the end after basically shooting humanhead's legs off in 2013

this industry sucks

As much as I also dislike Zenimax, the reality of the industry is that you need funding for game development. AKA money. Publishers put the money, not devs, so they are going to 'win' most of the times.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

haveblue posted:

A bunch of IPs and a bunch of staff
Rune and what else?

Happy that some of the staff found a new home.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anatomi posted:

Rune and what else?

Happy that some of the staff found a new home.
Yeah, I think Rune was pretty much Human Head's only original IP. Everything else was work for hire for other publishers.

According to Human Head's own statement, all of their staff have been offered roles in the new Roundhouse Studio.

• Flipper has reached version 1.0, although it requires a up-to-date GZDoom devbuild. As the name suggests, it lets you mirror maps via a couple of methods. Completely screw up your muscle memory for funsies!
  • I haven't played it yet, but Redneck Rampage Doom exists now. Huh.
  • Join the Quake Xmas Jam! Shoot 'em your 1024x1024x1024 AD maps by December 15th.
  • D4T is getting a big update in a couple of days.
  • I can't remember if I linked Operation Arctic Wolf Redux, so I might as well re-link it. It sends you into the snow on a Wolfenstein-themed adventure.
  • Ditto Bloom, which smushes Doom and Blood together into a surprisingly decent puree with some pretty impressive environment visuals.
  • EDIT: Powerslave/ExhumedGDX continues development.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 13, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

anatomi posted:

A studio that they wanted to own but which refused to be bought and responded to strongarm tactics by going on strike.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxyclean posted:

I think this is kind of why I felt Dusk was just short of amazing/perfect. By episode three I was feeling a little let down by the weapon set not having any more surprises. Feel like they could have had some weird occulty "energy" weapons.

Same here, the weapons feel good and sound great but they’re all very normal. Also you see all of the weapons in episode 1 so there’s nothing left to build up to. Also the rocket launcher is in slot 9, seriously what the gently caress.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ETPC posted:

im intensely depressed that zenimax won in the end after basically shooting humanhead's legs off in 2013

this industry sucks

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Carmack is leaving Oculus to work on AI

e: Sort of leaving, anyway

manero fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 14, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ETPC posted:

this industry sucks

Industry sucks in general. Modding old games is the way to go.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I worry that he's going to team up with Eliezer Yudkowsky and we should just accept living under our robot underlords.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Arivia posted:

I worry that he's going to team up with Eliezer Yudkowsky and we should just accept living under our robot underlords.

Everyone hide your cats

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Industry sucks in general. Modding old games is the way to go.

That's pretty much how Bethesda operate atm

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will not stand here and let everyone discuss Doomguy lore and not discuss DoomRPGguy who is a blaskowicz and also if they are played by me uses an axe to kill a staggering amount demons to conserve ammo they'll never use.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DoomRPG? That's the one that was for pre-smart phones, that everyone said was actually pretty good right? What are the options for playing it these days?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Find out who ripped it and made an emulator i imagine because I doubt you'll find a legit source anywhere. That being said they were fun little timewaster games.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My favorite bit of Doomguy lore comes from the Romero AMA and it's the Doomguy's favorite food is medikits.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

John Carmack's Orcs & Elves got a DS port and it was a pretty fun lite-RPG built on the same platform as the Doom/Wolfenstein RPGs.

I feel like those mobile ports would be a slam dunk if Bethesda released them as a package.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Halo Reach is dropping on PC December 3rd. Not exactly classic FPS related I know, but that just means we'll be getting the Halo Anniversary version probably not long after, since the series is being released in chronological order.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Halo Reach is dropping on PC December 3rd. Not exactly classic FPS related I know, but that just means we'll be getting the Halo Anniversary version probably not long after, since the series is being released in chronological order.

Cool, never played Halo Reach and a lot of people say that it's the best one in the series. Looking forward to it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Cool, never played Halo Reach and a lot of people say that it's the best one in the series. Looking forward to it.

Having played up to Halo 4 (which I only did the multiplayer of because lol that story), I'd say this is pretty accurate. Reach just felt like everything snapped into place finally in both SP and MP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's pretty great, it's like a sort of greatest hits collection where most levels and setpieces have a clear inspiration from elsewhere in the series.

I still think it's weird to release them in series chronology order, which I guess means Reach, 1, ODST, 2, 3, 4. There are going to be some wild swing in game design and sophistication there.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think all of the games up to 4 are worth playing (4 isn't like offensive but it's not good), and that Reach is the best. Excited to have them all on PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh really? I thought 4 and 5 were considered equally mediocre?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

4 has a new enemy type that doesn't really fit and a extremely stupid story with like 1 good setpiece and AFAIK 5 just made those things even worse.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
4 tries very hard but just can't get ANYTHING right from a story, mechanics, gameplay, or design standpoint. The new enemy type, the Prometheans, just might be the worst enemies in any shooter I've ever fought.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry_Ed posted:

Having played up to Halo 4 (which I only did the multiplayer of because lol that story), I'd say this is pretty accurate. Reach just felt like everything snapped into place finally in both SP and MP.
Competitive players hated reach due to reticule bloom on precision weapons(and armor abilities to a lesser extent) making it so that instead of pacing your shots, you could just fire max speed and if you got lucky you would kill faster and if you got unlucky you would kill slower. added an element of RNG where either you're doing this and relying on RNG to kill, or not doing it but someone else will be and then you're relying on RNG for them not to kill you faster than you can kill them

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Preorder is actually up now for Reach and MCC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064220/Halo_Reach/

Still no dates for the rest of the games, though.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Competitive players hated reach due to reticule bloom on precision weapons(and armor abilities to a lesser extent) making it so that instead of pacing your shots, you could just fire max speed and if you got lucky you would kill faster and if you got unlucky you would kill slower. added an element of RNG where either you're doing this and relying on RNG to kill, or not doing it but someone else will be and then you're relying on RNG for them not to kill you faster than you can kill them

This is an interesting way to think about it that I hadn't considered before. How do other competitive FPS and their communities think about it? Do other games like counter strike have a better implementation or is there just a different attitude and culture in the community about it?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Halo 1,2,3, ODST and Reach are all fantastic and I am excited to play them on PC. Personally I love Halo 1/3 single player campaign the most, and Reach multiplayer/coop the most. My roommates and I in college (and post college) spent god-knows how many hours in firefight mode between ODST-Reach. I even dumped hundred of hours into the special edition Halo:Anniversary firefight map
I couldn't finish 4. It's not horrible just...boring? The plot makes no sense because it requires you to read the Halo Expanded Universe novels which got more, and more ridiculous after 3 The flood came from infected pets that ancient humans kept but also the enemies were dull as poo poo too. They were bullet sponges and unlike Covenant, were not fun to fight against, at all.

If I had to rank them it would be in this order

Reach
Halo 1
Halo 3
ODST
Halo 2 (2 was revolutionary at the time but it's kind of a mess )
Halo 4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
2 needs separate ratings for MP (holy poo poo) and SP (probably the worst crash stop cliffhanger in gaming)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

timn posted:

This is an interesting way to think about it that I hadn't considered before. How do other competitive FPS and their communities think about it? Do other games like counter strike have a better implementation or is there just a different attitude and culture in the community about it?

counter strike doesn't have reticule bloom from shooting, despite what the default crosshair makes it look like. every gun has a fixed recoil pattern that you can learn and compensate for. For instance, here's the AK-47's:

Not to mention since you die so quickly it's more about individual shots or short bursts than actually holding down long enough to see the tail end of patterns like these. There is some RNG for shooting while moving, but generally speaking you want to be accurate, and players will either be minimizing movement while shooting or using the way that movement acceleration works to get rid of it(start moving in opposite direction before shooting so you decelerate first). The time to kill is way faster compared to halo, especially with headshots(1 headshot with most weapons will just kill outright) so being precise is more important, and the random spread for movement is big enough that you're at a big disadvantage if you run while shooting an AK that the person who stops moving to shoot you is almost certainly going to kill you first.

I guess you could say Reach's reticule bloom is at an unfortunate sweet spot where firing as fast as you can doesn't make your aim worse by such a big margin to make it not worth doing, because often you can get those faster kills, but also you get screwed by RNG often enough to make it frustrating. On both ends, really. If you're the guy spamming shots you get frustrating situations where RNG makes you miss and die, even though your reticule is perfectly centered, and if you're the guy pacing your shots you get frustrating situations where the other guy can kill you first even though you're playing just as well(or a little better).

If it went farther in either direction it would be a different story. If reticule bloom was smaller or nonexistent, everyone would fire max pace and there would be no issue. If reticule bloom was a lot bigger so firing max pace was way worse odds of winning than pacing your shots to minimal bloom, everyone would pace their shots and there would be no issue. (Also it would need to snap back to minimum bloom sharply instead of gradually or there would be the same RNG issue just at a different timing.) But as is, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. Either way not quite how CS penalizes movement though.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 14, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait... When you say it has a fixed pattern are you saying it's entirely deterministic? Or are you saying your aim climbs at a fairly predictable rate?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think there's a mild amount of random inaccuracy but it's quite small. RNG in aiming mostly comes from movement and the spray patterns are largely deterministic.

It's actually hard to find concrete info on this despite playing the game, I guess because it's not very actionable while the spray patterns are something that there are specific ways to counteract.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 14, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

They're worse than mediocre, they're actively terrible. They're hot flaming garbage.

But I think they were saying "up to 4" like, exclusive, not inclusive. So Halos 1 - Reach are the ones worth playing, that's what everybody agrees.

I love 1 a whooooole lot because I grew up on it, but the best are definitely Reach, ODST, and 3. ODST is underrated IMO. But Reach is definitely the absolute best.

Bungie at their greatest, actually moving past just Master Chief and having a whole cast of characters.

Shame they had to do Destiny next.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

4 tries very hard but just can't get ANYTHING right from a story, mechanics, gameplay, or design standpoint. The new enemy type, the Prometheans, just might be the worst enemies in any shooter I've ever fought.

It really is incredible how badly 343i does not understand how to make an FPS.

As bad as 4 was though, 5 is actually even worse. 5 is so aggressively terrible its offensive. Fight the same boss 5 times, copy pasted! Its like the entire game is The Library.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 15, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Reach isn’t that good

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
No Halo is that great :shrug: That doesn't mean I didn't play the heck out of 1 through 3 with my friends.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
1-3 are all quite a lot better than Reach imo. The 343 stuff definitely sucks poo poo but ODST and Reach are both fairly boring games. Reach had decent multiplayer but no way was it better than 3’s. The series was played out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only thing I ever hear about ODST is its smooth jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Reach has a good ending and invasion is kinda neat.

ODST gets talked up a lot for the non-linearity in the story but it's not really that open in practice.