Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Hard to say, I haven't played em all lol

Theres a massive secret that a lot of time went into

does it involve jiub and fargoth's adopted son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

idk man anyone whos tried predicting it has failed

all of the questlines are officially submitted and are undergoing review, the only thing left is finishing npc placement and smashing everything together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfz9OVrWM1I

Two things about TR are really interesting to me that I think I talked about

1: how dense everything is. Like dense with details and stuff. I assume it's kind of just that impetus some modders have to really mod it the gently caress up, combined with loose restrictions where you don't have to worry about overloading the memory cores with pixels or w/e like you might have had to when they designed vvardenfel.

2: how dense everything is, architecturally? Best way to describe what I mean is if you go back and find the vid where they shoehorned in 3d goggle support. The balmora mages guild and even just the little square they have there, the one with the pawn shop right by the gate -- they're huge. TR is more normally built, or more realistically scaled in some places. I'm thinking of how the artist's house in old ebonheart is set up.

I think I saw something one time about designing video games and the need to make everything much larger than would be reasonable in real life. Because even now, when you play a game you're playing through a mail slot. It was way worse in the olden times, but your vision is so restricted everything feels insanely cramped if you make things normal sized.

When I saw the 3d morrowind it was kind of suprising to see how fast you actually walk and how insanely huge most map features actually are, which gives an impression of you being very slow.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I think I saw something one time about designing video games and the need to make everything much larger than would be reasonable in real life. Because even now, when you play a game you're playing through a mail slot. It was way worse in the olden times, but your vision is so restricted everything feels insanely cramped if you make things normal sized.
Yeah. I think a good illustration of that is if you do Ajira's flower quest in third-person view. Look at some Willow Anthers or whatever in first person, then move to third person so that you get your character to scale. That flower's gigantic. It doesn't look that big in first-person view.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know it's because they're just... overlays or whatever but that always makes me feel so disoriented with weapons and other held items specifically, in just about any first person game. the way you can just walk up to people/furniture/doors/anything and your gun or sword or hands just get absolutely tiny by comparison. I get why it happens but it's so uncomfortable

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone know if strength affects damage done with bow and arrow?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My gut says yes, because I have a clear memory from over a dozen years ago of one-shotting a dragon with a bow when I had potion-enhaced strength of +30000 or so. Durability loss was also increased, so I could usually only get two shots with a bow before it broke.

UESP confirms:

Strength posted:

How much damage you do with weapons, including Marksman weapons, and how much damage you do to your own weapons when you perform a successful attack as a result.
code:
( 0.5 + ( Strength / 100 ) ) * Weapon Damage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vavrek posted:

My gut says yes, because I have a clear memory from over a dozen years ago of one-shotting a dragon with a bow when I had potion-enhaced strength of +30000 or so. Durability loss was also increased, so I could usually only get two shots with a bow before it broke.

UESP confirms:

Thanks, I read over the combat page on UESP but somehow missed the part explicitly including marksmen when talking about strength.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Learning to use UESP is like learning to play the games. There are innumerable little tricks of the trade which you learn through experience and happenstance, and it is through memory of trivia that you achieve mastery.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Thanks. I hate it.

So lets say for the sake of the argument that Red Mountain erupts and the ash levels rise by 5 feet, lets say 10 feet over the next hundred years and it puts all the Ashland settlements under the ash and blight... lets say all of that happens, you're saying that the people of Ald'Ruhn aren't just going to sell their homes and move?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That logic could actually work when you have merchants who will buy everything you sell them, including completely useless items they could never hope to resell.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cat Mattress posted:

That logic could actually work when you have merchants who will buy everything you sell them, including completely useless items they could never hope to resell.

The only proper way to play Morrowind is to be the Junk Merchant class, and pick up every single item that isn't nailed down and selling it to someone.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Node posted:

The only proper way to play Morrowind is to be the Junk Merchant class, and pick up every single item that isn't nailed down and selling it to someone.

No, the way to play is to take over a tiny shack and be a pearl diver.

Random thoughts from most recent playthrough: Old Ebonheart is great and took me a minute to learn, but once I did it was easy to navigate and laid out in a way that you could easily know what part of town to look for particular things, Mage and Thieves guild quests were great. Found the labyrinth tomb in the preview area and holy wow of almsivi you should definitely set a mark outside the tomb. Gondolier's License is a really underrated mod. You get to take a Vivec geography quiz to get certified and receive the official hat and shirt. Is the game supposed to crash whenever you get near almalaxia? Do I need to do a clean install and restart?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m a sad roleplayer and have been trying to figure out which conflicting factions would ordinarily disallow you from joining them if you’ve joined their competitor. I found a mod (“Strict Factions”) that forbids you from joining opposing groups, which does appeal to me, but I think the mod creator gets some things wrong and is TOO strict.

So far I have:
Telvanni - Mages Guild
Thieves Guild - Fighters Guild
Temple - Imperial Cult
Telvanni - Temple
Temple - Mages

A couple of these I’m just basing on what the wiki page says about reactions between the factions, I don’t know enough to say for certain that, say, the Temple would turn away a Mages Guild member.

Anyway any thoughts on this list? Am I missing some conflicts?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't see why the Temple would prevent you from joining the Mage's Guild, or vice versa. Mage's Guild isn't religious or anti-religious that I can think of. Only thing they'd possibly disagree on is Necromancy.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only hard locks on joining factions are
-You can only pick one great house
-There's a fighters guild quest which locks you out of the thieves guild if you don't join before doing it

The rest is just minor disposition bonuses/penalties that are there more for lore than gameplay impact.

Yes, there is the glitch that let's you join more than one great house.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You are correct. The TG FG thing almost doesnt come into play ever, just join everything you want first and you're fine. No one seems to care.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly the only reason the TG and FG are at odds is that the FG has been infiltrated by the Cammona Tong.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Isn't the deposed fighters guild head okay with some of the thieves guild stuff like flipping Fire-Eye? Like if you're roleplaying a thief/agent/whatever I could see a character wanting to run the commona tong muscle out so clearing the fighters guild makes sense.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Advice for first time players: if a character is killed, they will die.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Average Bear posted:

I musta killed dura gra-bol 30 times before I learned you can get paid to do it.

Makes u think.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

Unless they're a cliff racer

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

Honestly the only reason the TG and FG are at odds is that the FG has been infiltrated by the Cammona Tong.

I forget the exact details but there are advanced quests where one has you taking out prominent members of the other, some of them quest givers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I forget the exact details but there are advanced quests where one has you taking out prominent members of the other, some of them quest givers.

The Thieves Guild only has you kill Sjoring Hard-Heart. In the Fighters Guild, Sjoring Hard-Heart wants you to kill basically all the Thieves Guild leaders, but you can ignore him and instead do Percius Mercius' quest to kill Hard-Heart thus fulfilling the Thieves quest at the same time. It's not much of an issue to reach the top of both guilds.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the morag tong master quests ask you to cut the heads off Larrius Varro, Baladas Demnevanni, Dram Bero, and Mistress Therana

its basically the 'no gods no masters' end of the questline where you put two middle fingers up to the entire political structure of morrowind

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah thanks for the answers! I was asking from a roleplayer’s point of view, I’m not so much interested in maximizing one character’s quest log. Rather I just wanted to be sure the factions my dude aligns with make internal, ~lore-friendly~ sense, so no proselytizing two different religions at once

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Joining religions just for the benefits, and raising in the ranks while actually faithless are very Vvardenfelly things for a random adventurer to do.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The FG questline has you killing a bunch of TG guys, including TG questgivers, if you don't check in with Percy in Ald'ruhn and don't do the TG quests first.

The TG quest has you finding ways to convince FG quest givers to stop wanting to murder the TG, except for that one FG leader that they really can't find a counter to. However, you've got to murder him too when doing the FG questline eventually, so, yeah. And don't worry, you can still do all of his "legit" quests first before executing him. Just remember to check in with Percy.

The TG questline towards the end gets on a real Robin Hood vibe, where you get tasked with stealing stuff so as to give it back to their legitimate owners.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
There’s also a MG quest where you knock off all the Telvanni bigwigs but it’s pretty off the beaten path and not even canon (because one of them shows up two games later).

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Jay Rust posted:

Ah thanks for the answers! I was asking from a roleplayer’s point of view, I’m not so much interested in maximizing one character’s quest log. Rather I just wanted to be sure the factions my dude aligns with make internal, ~lore-friendly~ sense, so no proselytizing two different religions at once

There's not a ton of hard lore conflicts within the joinable factions other than the ones mentioned (and the Twin Lamps quests if you join Telvanni.) If you're RPing, you have a ton of freedom to join factions however you want to outside of the very few restrictions. In fact, some parts of the faction quest lines account for you joining other factions.

raminasi posted:

There’s also a MG quest where you knock off all the Telvanni bigwigs but it’s pretty off the beaten path and not even canon (because one of them shows up two games later).

Is that one of Trebonius's quests?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Joining religions just for the benefits, and raising in the ranks while actually faithless are very Vvardenfelly things for a random adventurer to do.

Same could be said for real religions

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Leal posted:

Same could be said for real religions

Maybe the darkness that drives Dagoth Ur to the Heart of Lorkhan is the darkness in our own hearts.

Really makes u think...

(For more info, please see my 15 part blog Digital Theophany: Transcending metatextualism: how awareness of the medium is demonstrated in every videogame.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Is that one of Trebonius's quests?

I love that guy's quests. He's presented as being stupid and out of touch, but it also just seems like he's trying to stop you bothering him.

"Hey, hey, arch-mage, what should I do next?"
"Uhh. Find out what happened to the dwarves." There, that'll keep 'em busy and I can always say 'Hey you haven't finished my last quest'.

Later,
"Okay, so I talked to the last living dwarf and had him translate a pair of metaphysical tomes ..."
Well poo poo. "Uh. Well done."
"What now?"
How do I get rid of this person? "... Kill ... the Telvanni. All of them."

Even later,
"The lords of the Telvanni are now all dead by my hand."
That's it, I'm leaving. "Congratulations, I declare you Arch-Mage. Here, have my staff and amulet. When's the next boat to Cyrodiil leave?"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

kazr posted:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I sneakily killed trebonerus for his amulet at level 1 this playthrough and didn't get kicked out of the mages guild

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The rest of the mage's guild also really doesn't like Trebonius and they think he's a total dumbass. He's described as extraordinarily good at any magic relating to combat but completely horrible at literally every other thing a person can possibly do, including running a guild. The suggestion is that mostly they just ignore him which he seems largely fine with.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Trebonerus

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

kazr posted:

I've heard others say the same.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm going to start working on openmw in my spare time and haven't played for years and my mod collection is even older, what are the essentials these days that work on openmw?

It's the op kept up to date with mods? Noticed the openmw list link is dead at least

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm going to start working on openmw in my spare time and haven't played for years and my mod collection is even older, what are the essentials these days that work on openmw?

It's the op kept up to date with mods? Noticed the openmw list link is dead at least

All mods that don't use MWSE (Morrowind Script Extender) should work with Open MW.