Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Are there any mods that, among other things, rebalance rune drop rates to the extent that you can actually use the more interesting runewords without having to do 15,000 kurast runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eastern Sun has much better rune drop rates than vanilla d2 and high runes drop from endgame monsters rather than boxes

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Are there any mods that, among other things, rebalance rune drop rates to the extent that you can actually use the more interesting runewords without having to do 15,000 kurast runs?
On slash diablo nodrop doesn't exist so it's always like a slightly better players 8 in terms of drops. And rune drop was buffed significantly on official a few years ago. Those changes are present there. I only played to ~84 and a few high runes drop.

I believe a lot of people deliberately farm cows to get HRs early in the season there. Usually the big nerds have enigma before the end of the weekend.

If you're talking single player, there are probably edits to disable nodrop there for you.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 31, 2019

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Does slash diablo change skills at all?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

soscannonballs posted:

Does slash diablo change skills at all?
No it's pretty much normal d2 except for the nodrop thing. It just makes mf easier and supports maphack.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 31, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Path of Diablo patch notes have been posted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofdiablo/comments/ck604m/patch_17_tourmaline/

Looks like some fun stuff. With the changes to some of the bows and the additional arrows from the new quivers, perhaps the dream of a good bowadin will finally come true.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Any way to get widescreen on 1.14d playing on bnet?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

codo27 posted:

Any way to get widescreen on 1.14d playing on bnet?

In nvidia settings you should be able to scale the screen or gpu to fullscreen.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I've been playing on slashdiablo for a week now. I have a lvl 70 light sorc that can effectively clear hell pit. My first nightmare Andy run dropped me a SOJ, and I found a nice HOZ and shako within my first 5 hell pit runs.

One thing I still do is run max block, because I spent a summer doing hc characters and the habit stuck.

The maphack is a really nice QOL for a 30something gamer that works 60 hrs a week. If I can't progress father I'll do a second char, either a summon necro or a budget hammerdin to get to hell Baal.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Audax posted:

I've been playing on slashdiablo for a week now. I have a lvl 70 light sorc that can effectively clear hell pit. My first nightmare Andy run dropped me a SOJ, and I found a nice HOZ and shako within my first 5 hell pit runs.

One thing I still do is run max block, because I spent a summer doing hc characters and the habit stuck.

The maphack is a really nice QOL for a 30something gamer that works 60 hrs a week. If I can't progress father I'll do a second char, either a summon necro or a budget hammerdin to get to hell Baal.
You can run up to 4 clients total there. So you could even rush yourself or use the hammerdin to clear immunes while playing the sorc otherwise. Just open a tp for the hammerdin, slam down some hammers, go back up, and then keep sorcing.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Speaking of Maphacks, is there one that someone here would recommend me to use for offline play, (LoD v1.13d) + (PlugY v11.02) + (Glide3-to-OpenGL-Wrapper v1.14e) is pretty much how I play Diablo 2 nowadays, but I just wanna rush through stuff as fast as possible.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Im_Special posted:

Speaking of Maphacks, is there one that someone here would recommend me to use for offline play, (LoD v1.13d) + (PlugY v11.02) + (Glide3-to-OpenGL-Wrapper v1.14e) is pretty much how I play Diablo 2 nowadays, but I just wanna rush through stuff as fast as possible.
planqi's slashdiablo maphack works on 1.13c and 1.13d and is the best there is as far as I know. It's also open source.

Never use it on real bnet though you'll get banned.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Khorne posted:

planqi's slashdiablo maphack works on 1.13c and 1.13d and is the best there is as far as I know. It's also open source.

Never use it on real bnet though you'll get banned.

I just wanted something simple but after reading over all those QoL features... once I get used to some of those things I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to plain mode. Potions from inventory, Shift + Click item moving, my God.

So do I just drop the .dll into my install folder and that's it?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Im_Special posted:

I just wanted something simple but after reading over all those QoL features... once I get used to some of those things I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to plain mode. Potions from inventory, Shift + Click item moving, my God.

So do I just drop the .dll into my install folder and that's it?
I think you have to run the injector after d2 is open, but there's also a way to get it to auto load that I never bothered with.

I just created a batch script that opens diablo 2 then waits a few seconds then injects.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been thinking about playing through the game again and I have my copies registered to my Blizzard account. However, are the .exe's you get directly from Blizzard supposed to be these funky 2.6mb things? Windows 10 does not like them at all and won't open them unless it's in Admin mode. It set off a whole lot of red flags.

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!

Jimbot posted:

I've been thinking about playing through the game again and I have my copies registered to my Blizzard account. However, are the .exe's you get directly from Blizzard supposed to be these funky 2.6mb things? Windows 10 does not like them at all and won't open them unless it's in Admin mode. It set off a whole lot of red flags.

The funky 2.6mb file is a downloader which has some p2p torrent capabilities built in. So that's likely why Windows doesn't like it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I've been playing d2 again and yeah you're just getting the downloader.

I highly recommend playing plugy or slashdiablo if you want a somewhat improved experience. Both are easy to get going.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. Can you do multiplayer with plugy? A few friends might be playing as well.

Edit: The version you get from Blizzard is 1.14b and Plugy doesn't support that version. That's a real bummer.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2019

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I finally got around to taking my summon necromancer through Hell; it's my first time playing through on this difficulty ever, despite having had the game since launch. I just beat Duriel and he dropped an item called "Twisted Essence of Suffering". Looks like a pile of bluish ashes. What does this do?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Meaty Ore posted:

I finally got around to taking my summon necromancer through Hell; it's my first time playing through on this difficulty ever, despite having had the game since launch. I just beat Duriel and he dropped an item called "Twisted Essence of Suffering". Looks like a pile of bluish ashes. What does this do?

It doesn't do anything by itself but acquire one of each of these:

Twisted Essence of Suffering (dropped by Andariel and Duriel)
Charged Essence of Hatred (dropped by Mephisto)
Burning Essence of Terror (dropped by Diablo)
Festering Essence of Destruction (dropped by Baal).

Then put all four into the cube and you get a token of absolution. This token allows you to respec your characters stats and one time.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Ah, so just a fourth chance to respec if the three Akara gives aren't enough? And you only get it after you've beaten the game? Interesting. I see it being handy if one wants to experiment with different builds stress-free.

Not that a summon necromancer is that stressful, anyways. And this particular run has given me some good luck with drops. Harlequin Crest, Smoke runeword armor; +7 skills across all my gear, and maxed out poison and cold resistance, with fire and lightning not far behind. I'm level 79 going into Act III and am still sitting on 60 undistributed stat points because, eh, I haven't really needed to bother with them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meaty Ore posted:

Ah, so just a fourth chance to respec if the three Akara gives aren't enough? And you only get it after you've beaten the game? Interesting. I see it being handy if one wants to experiment with different builds stress-free.

You can farm them repeatedly, so it's infinite respecs via timesink.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Eastern Suns is apparently very dead? What miss do Goons plau, with, if any? Is MedianXL any good?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I came wondering the same thing. My son and I just installed Median XL tonite and whipped up some quick characters. Seems very neat in the first 4 minutes.

Edit: Also, is there a way to force Median XL to run in D2's original 800x600? I think 1024x768 is a touch too small.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 8, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Found this the other day. Diablo II - Mod Pack

It's basically just a convenient package of mods and QoL things to get Diablo II as close to one can as a Diablo II: Remaster version of the game without crossing into the total conversion territory.

Patch v1.13d, Glide v1.4e and PlugY v11.02, I already knew about, but did not know there was a working MultiRes mod for v1.13d, I'll have to check this one out since this is the one thing the game sorely needed. Some of the other balance type stuff included I'm not to keen on or care about, but those can be excluded easy enough.

I'm mainly just posting this here as a bookmark for myself :cheeky:, but maybe some of you will find this handy too.

Also a discussion on reddit about it, in case you have questions, maybe someone else did too and got their answer, also where I found out about this mod pack.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That’s an awesome link, I’m gonna try it out!

Edit: Maybe it's just me, but the installer instructions are kinda confusing. It's a pack of QOL mods, but the instructions have tell me to install specific versions of each mod individually. If I'm doing that, what's the pack for?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 10, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
To install, you need to go. Game (not the latest v1.14 Battle.net one) > Patch v1.13d > Glide v1.4e > PlugY v11.02.

What's in the .zip file on GitHub just seems to be everything else with all the proper .config files and .ini tweaks already setup for an out of box experience so to speak.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Im_Special posted:

To install, you need to go. Game (not the latest v1.14 Battle.net one) > Patch v1.13d > Glide v1.4e > PlugY v11.02.

What's in the zip file on GitHub just seems to be everything else and all the proper .config files and .ini tweaks already setup for an out of box experience so to speak.

So once I'm done with the D2->Glide->Plugy, am I just dropping the rest of the poo poo into the Diablo 2 folder?

Edit: Got it all installed ok. Only problem is now the game runs in a small box surrounded by black borders. It’s a super tiny box in the middle of my screen that is in the proper aspect ratio but doesn’t fill the entire screen.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm guessing so? I haven't tried this personally yet though, not sure why those instructions specifically says to "not mass merge, one at a time" shouldn't make a difference... I would make a copy of your "D2->Glide->Plugy" folder just in case.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I got it all working now, yay! I have the game running in 1400x600 so it fills up 95% of my Ultrawide 21x9 monitor with now aspect ratio fuckery. drat it looks really good like this!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, curiosity. I recently said "screw it" and picked this game up, having also recently played through Diablo 1.

I love reading through old Blizzard manuals, for some of the lore dumps. However, the Diablo 2 install doesn't appear to include a PDF of the manual with it, and the only Diablo 2 manual I can find online is completely lacking in a plot-synopsis lore-dump (though it does have info on the classes and monsters and such, that's not what I'm looking for). I've seen several sources claim that more information on Lazarus, for example, is mentioned in the Diablo 2 Manual. But what I've found, he's not even mentioned.

Any ideas?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
https://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_II_Manual

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Diablo%20II%20Manual.pdf

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Those are what I've already found, and contain no such backstory lore dump that I've been led to believe was in the Diablo 2 Manual.

EDIT: Nevermind, did not look far enough through the wiki version. Found sections that it explicitly states did NOT appear in the PDF version of the manual. Excellent.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Well that's the manual... maybe you want the Strategy Guide? https://archive.org/details/Diablo_II_Official_Strategy_Guide_BradyGames

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Im_Special posted:

Well that's the manual... maybe you want the Strategy Guide? https://archive.org/details/Diablo_II_Official_Strategy_Guide_BradyGames

Got a physical copy of that thing. It's more cute than informative, giving you nuggets such as "Putting 20 points into Clay Golem means it has 600 Life! Wow!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So thinking about my Paladin for the long road ahead and I have question: how difficult is it to get enough mana leech/regen to use Vengeance as my left clicker? That seems like a very strong ability for later difficulties when enemies have immunities to certain elements.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Just make an Insight runeword polearm for your A2 merc. I think the runes are Ral Tir Tal Sol.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

soscannonballs posted:

Just make an Insight runeword polearm for your A2 merc. I think the runes are Ral Tir Tal Sol.

I think I actually already have those words too, sweet! I'm gonna do it up real good like!

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Make sure you put it in a Polearm and not a Spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

soscannonballs posted:

Make sure you put it in a Polearm and not a Spear.
And double check because there are spear class weapons that have polarm names and pictures.