Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Hope the surgery went ok and that you're feeling better, friend. Where do you get your insurance from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there a thread on beds and/or back pain?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Or start one?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Where would I start if my health insurance didn't cover nearly as much as I thought on emergency surgery I had and I can't afford to pay it. Like, it's at least 5 times what I thought I was going to be paying, that was billed to 5 different companies and my insurance company just dumped it on me to deal with them. gently caress this country.

Serious answer I've just not paid like 10 000 worth of bullshit in terms of construction bills and insurance(not medical) and have that be the right thing to do. They'll figure it out themselves if you don't roll over and start throwing away money.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks. I seemt o remember a thread called "Back pain sucks", and I thought it was in YLLS, but I can't find it. But the beds thread is a good starting point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

life is a joke posted:

Hope the surgery went ok and that you're feeling better, friend. Where do you get your insurance from?

It went well and thank you! I have Cigna through my employer.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Qubee posted:

The loving thing is morbidly obese so I wouldn't be surprised if it's on a feline McDonald's diet and has next to no portion control which helps it produce this apocalyptic neon yellow turd.

It was absolutely traumatizing mowing the lawn, there were so many buried hidden treasures, it got everywhere. Despite carefully combing through the lawn and attempting to pick it up to throw it out, there were a couple I missed (not that grabbing them in poop bags did anything, it'd just smear and disintegrate into the blades of grass). I got splashback on my jeans, a speck even hit my face and made me dry heave. The lawn mower had it caked into every crevice. I have actually come to fear stepping foot outside in my own garden, and I no longer want to be terrorized by this hellish creature. Help.

Oh, didn't catch that you've identified the specific cat. It may well be sick, not just fat. I've known a few really fat ones and they still had normal poo poo. Though being an outdoor cat, yeah it could be eating rotting garbage, especially if it's too fat to catch mice and birds.

Also, yikes. :gonk:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
TLDR: This is all to say, I want a word which just means "this person right here I'm indicating, who is a person, whose gender is irrelevant." Is there such a word, or is there any kind of growing movement to creating such a word?

Is there a stand-in pronoun or noun that just means "a person" or "this person"? I understand that gender-fluid, gender-noncomforming, gender-nonbinary and what have you have adopted "them" as a singular identifying pronoun. So, the problem that I'm having is that there becomes effectively three major gender identifiers, which go something like he = man, she = woman, them = gender-noncomforming, gender-nonbinary and gender-fluid. The situation here is that there's a local school board politics somethingorother going on, and one of the congressfolk referred to a "them" teacher as "she" and anyway, someone got very upset and it became a big thing. I want to respect anyone's preference of any kind of identifier, but it's a loving hassle to making sure you know everyone's gender or non-gender. It's not like just learning people's names; "he," "she," "are stand-ins for people, and now I feel like "they" is as well. Anyway, that's all to vent about this dumb conflict and how upset I am at, I don't know, the english language. I know there are some variations; zhe, ze, etc. but I'm not sure of their use or what they specifically mean...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

TLDR: This is all to say, I want a word which just means "this person right here I'm indicating, who is a person, whose gender is irrelevant." Is there such a word, or is there any kind of growing movement to creating such a word?

Is there a stand-in pronoun or noun that just means "a person" or "this person"? I understand that gender-fluid, gender-noncomforming, gender-nonbinary and what have you have adopted "them" as a singular identifying pronoun. So, the problem that I'm having is that there becomes effectively three major gender identifiers, which go something like he = man, she = woman, them = gender-noncomforming, gender-nonbinary and gender-fluid. The situation here is that there's a local school board politics somethingorother going on, and one of the congressfolk referred to a "them" teacher as "she" and anyway, someone got very upset and it became a big thing. I want to respect anyone's preference of any kind of identifier, but it's a loving hassle to making sure you know everyone's gender or non-gender. It's not like just learning people's names; "he," "she," "are stand-ins for people, and now I feel like "they" is as well. Anyway, that's all to vent about this dumb conflict and how upset I am at, I don't know, the english language. I know there are some variations; zhe, ze, etc. but I'm not sure of their use or what they specifically mean...

“That one/that person/this person/these people/[name]”?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

credburn posted:

This/these fellow/s? My Colleague? This educator? Yeah I admit this is a difficult situation to easily answer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just go full walking on eggshells and refer to everyone as “Teacher Smith” or “Principle Willis”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Show community spirit and refer to everyone as comrade.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

credburn posted:

"they" has been the standard for this rhetorical usage for hundreds of years, which is why it is being adopted and developing an extension to its current usage. Just think of it as a homophone, like how "right" can mean a direction, something being correct, or something being just. Or like the word "just" means something analogous to something else, or something that is morally righteous. Or like the word "like" which can mean something similar/analogous to something, affection towards something, an action someone performs on social media, a cultural signifier for a dated version of the valley girl dialect of English when it is, like, used habitually

If you find this unsatisfying, think about it this way: Linguistics, the scientific field dedicated to understanding the human capacity to create and comprehend Language, has been around for around 2500 years, and we still don't have a solid, scientific definition for what the gently caress a "word" is. Language is the product of a loving weird biological system that may or may not be entirely logical, but it still works. Somehow.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 12, 2019

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

credburn posted:

Anyway, that's all to vent about this dumb conflict and how upset I am at, I don't know, the english language.

Feel free to be upset about the person who decided to make a big thing out of something that was probably an innocent mistake.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a term for what you collectively call daylight saving time and standard time? They're not time zones, of course, but "times" is too vague.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

Is there a term for what you collectively call daylight saving time and standard time? They're not time zones, of course, but "times" is too vague.

They are time zones.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tenik posted:

"they" has been the standard for this rhetorical usage for hundreds of years, which is why it is being adopted and developing an extension to its current usage...

Agreed.

I found out because I had a gay professor in college and they referred to their fiance as "they". Everybody was totally cool with it (this was happening in the most liberal part of California). One class teased him about it by calling their group project, a musical, "They the fiance" and everybody had a good time.

Ever since then, I say/type "they" instead of "he/she".

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a lamp that takes an E14 bulb and says MAX 40 W. I'm assuming that I can put in a LED E14 bulb that's rated at 8 W but equivalent of 60 W with no issues, correct?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Busy Bee posted:

I have a lamp that takes an E14 bulb and says MAX 40 W. I'm assuming that I can put in a LED E14 bulb that's rated at 8 W but equivalent of 60 W with no issues, correct?

Correct.

Unless it's a lava lamp or an easy-bake oven or something else that relies on the heat of the bulb, and even then, there's no safety issue, it just won't work very well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

In older hotels, ones from the 70s or so, sometimes there's an additional light switch in the bathroom that turns on a red light bulb that puts out a bunch of heat. What is that supposed to be for? Was turning one's bathroom into a sauna a thing in the 70s?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

regulargonzalez posted:

In older hotels, ones from the 70s or so, sometimes there's an additional light switch in the bathroom that turns on a red light bulb that puts out a bunch of heat. What is that supposed to be for? Was turning one's bathroom into a sauna a thing in the 70s?

I don't know if I've seen red light ones, but the ones I've come across are heat lamps. The idea is that it can be nice to step out of a shower into a warm bathroom, especially if it is winter and the place is a little chilly.

The apartment I am in has a bathroom fan that is also a combo heater. Turning the fan on to help with humidity from the shower also adds some hot air.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a heater. My parents' house has one and I think it was pretty common when they had it installed - which would have been in the '90s?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's just to take the chill out of that moment you step out of the shower/tub. P nice actually. Not sure why it went out of vogue even.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah it's just to take the chill out of that moment you step out of the shower/tub. P nice actually. Not sure why it went out of vogue even.

Turning electricity into heat is notoriously expensive.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a way to check how many users have put an account on their ignore list?

Can you check how many times an account has been quoted?

Check how many users have ignore listed my account?

Check how many times an account has been reported/flagged?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a way to check how many users have put an account on their ignore list?

Can you check how many times an account has been quoted?

Check how many users have ignore listed my account?

Check how many times an account has been reported/flagged?
For the first one, yes, if they're on the hot 100.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My local Wal-Mart has started checking receipts at the door. This pisses me off--probably more than is warranted, but here we are. This is a regular Wal-Mart, not a Sam's Club.

What would happen if I just said "No thanks!" and kept walking?

I assume nobody will tackle me to the floor, but will some poor old elderly door-minder lose her job?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

jjack229 posted:

I don't know if I've seen red light ones, but the ones I've come across are heat lamps. The idea is that it can be nice to step out of a shower into a warm bathroom, especially if it is winter and the place is a little chilly.

Yeah, the outdated unit we rent in Sydney has one. It's really nice in the winter because in general Australian buildings have no insulation so get really cold for a couple of months. The bulb on ours is orange. The only other heating we have is a reverse cycle aircon and plug in heaters we bought ourselves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

My local Wal-Mart has started checking receipts at the door. This pisses me off--probably more than is warranted, but here we are. This is a regular Wal-Mart, not a Sam's Club.

What would happen if I just said "No thanks!" and kept walking?

I assume nobody will tackle me to the floor, but will some poor old elderly door-minder lose her job?

The "say no thanks and keep walking" thing is what I always do at these places. The door checker would only get fired if they DID try to tackle you.

Legally, they can ask to see anything they want, but they have no power to force you, and the door checker will (or at least should) know that and will let you go right by. Your new purchases are now your personal property and they have no right to search them. (They can make things like bag searches a condition of entry, but not of exit. On entry, after all, if you don't like it, you can walk away.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Powered Descent posted:

Legally, they can ask to see anything they want, but they have no power to force you, and the door checker will (or at least should) know that and will let you go right by.

As a general matter of US law, this is is not the case. To very briefly sum up the Shopkeeper's privilege and it's subsequent codifications:

quote:

Shopkeeper's privilege is a law recognized in some parts of the United States under which a shopkeeper is allowed to detain a suspected shoplifter on store property for a reasonable period of time, so long as the shopkeeper has cause to believe that the person detained in fact committed, or attempted to commit, theft of store property.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopkeeper%27s_privilege

EDIT:

Georgia statute:

OCGA § 51-7-60 posted:

Whenever the owner or operator of a mercantile establishment or any agent or employee of the owner or operator detains, arrests, or causes to be detained or arrested any person reasonably thought to be engaged in shoplifting or refund fraud and, as a result of the detention or arrest, the person so detained or arrested brings an action for false arrest or false imprisonment against the owner, operator, agent, or employee, no recovery shall be had by the plaintiff in such action where it is established by competent evidence:

(1) That the plaintiff had so conducted himself or herself or behaved in such manner as to cause a person of reasonable prudence to believe that the plaintiff, at or immediately prior to the time of the detention or arrest, was committing the offense of shoplifting, as defined by Code Section 16-8-14, or refund fraud as defined in Code Section 16-8-14; or

(2) That the manner of the detention or arrest and the length of time during which such plaintiff was detained was under all the circumstances reasonable.

Louisiana statute:

Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure Article 215 posted:

Art. 215. Detention and arrest of shoplifters

A.(1) A peace officer, merchant, or a specifically authorized employee or agent of a merchant, may use reasonable force to detain a person for questioning on the merchant's premises, for a length of time, not to exceed sixty minutes, unless it is reasonable under the circumstances that the person be detained longer, when he has reasonable cause to believe that the person has committed a theft of goods held for sale by the merchant, regardless of the actual value of the goods. The merchant or his employee or agent may also detain such a person for arrest by a peace officer. The detention shall not constitute an arrest.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 14, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ulmont posted:

As a general matter of US law, this is is not the case. To very briefly sum up the Shopkeeper's privilege and it's subsequent codifications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopkeeper%27s_privilege

EDIT:

Georgia statute:

Louisiana statute:

There’s no way a store is going to rely on shopkeepers privilege to detain someone not showing a receipt unless they have other suspicions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Quoting and bolding the relevant part:

ulmont posted:

Shopkeeper's privilege is a law recognized in some parts of the United States under which a shopkeeper is allowed to detain a suspected shoplifter on store property for a reasonable period of time, so long as the shopkeeper has cause to believe that the person detained in fact committed, or attempted to commit, theft of store property.

If they saw you conceal something and try to walk out with it, then yes, they have expanded rights to stop you. But they don't get to automatically invoke that against every single person who walks through their doors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can walk on past them but do you really want to feel like a big tough person telling an elderly woman to gently caress off?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The elderly woman isn't going to be heartbroken because someone ignored them at work, they're making 4$/hour or whatever the American minimum wage is now. They don't actually give a poo poo if you're stealing or not, just if they're fulfilling their obligation to get a paycheck.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

(They can make things like bag searches a condition of entry, but not of exit. On entry, after all, if you don't like it, you can walk away.)

I've always wondered, what would a retailer have to gain from this?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I've always wondered, what would a retailer have to gain from this?

Fewer people shooting up their building?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The less people that can bring outside food and drinks to your venue "for safety" means the more attractive your $10 hotdog or $4 bottled water looks.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Does anyone have experience with saddle chairs/saddle stools? Do they really help your posture and relieve back pain?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Every time I make stew, I get burning on the bottom of my pan. This only happens when I coat the beef in flour, and I think it's because the flour separates during cooking and falls to the bottom and burns. How do I stop this happening? Putting heat on low doesn't help, and I can't baby the thing and stir it every ten minutes. A set and forget method would be amazing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

Every time I make stew, I get burning on the bottom of my pan. This only happens when I coat the beef in flour, and I think it's because the flour separates during cooking and falls to the bottom and burns. How do I stop this happening? Putting heat on low doesn't help, and I can't baby the thing and stir it every ten minutes. A set and forget method would be amazing.

One of these then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A heat spreader helps on a gas hob. You'll also want to use a pan with sufficient thermal mass to help spread the heat more evenly.