Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
no, ax is an andalite, one of the blue furry scorpion-centaur liberals

the little brother of the one who gave the kids the morphing cube in the first place iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calibanibal posted:

is "ax" a member of the species of alien thats super strong and fast and covered in blades but they have the brains of children

no he's the andalite whos the little brother of the one that gave the kids their powers/the uncle of tobias

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i really enjoyed the bit in the middle of the 'time travel through human history' megamorphs book, where ax has a breakdown over how insanely horrifying human history is compared to his understanding of andalite history

and then during the disabled kids arc he acts like (and gets called on) being a real shithead about it because andalites completely oust anyone like that from their society "to spare them the shame of being seen"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Animorphs did a good job of coming up with a setting where it's reasonably plausible for children with comparatively weak powers like "Turn into animals" to actually be relevant. It basically threaded that needle by having the enemies also be vulnerable things that rely on deception, which in turn made the ability to disguise yourself as an animal a similarly useful espionage tool.

It's vaguely reminiscent of a situation like in "Death Note", where it's more about exposing who is a person controlled by a Yeerk or (on the Yeerk's side) finding out who the people controlling the animals are. Only better because Death Note has the issue where the only reason anyone had the slightest chance of discovering who was using the note was because Light was a cocky idiot and immediately allowed detectives to narrow the search down to this one city in Japan.

It'd be neat to reapproach this concept without the constraints of having countless small books (which results in a ton of filler and stuff).

one of my favorite things is that the yeerks only dont start hunting for people because they're convinced the animorphs are "andalite bandits"

and then when its revealed that they're like fourteen visser one(three) has a loving meltdown

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i dont remember animorphs too well except there was cute animals and also lots of "putrid guts" and blood and entrails and death and spaceships it was badass

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah it was pretty loving metal for a kids book

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
remember the time they recruited a new member and he turned out to be a psycho so they forced him to turn into a rat and then used their own pet psycho to take him out to a little lovely island off the coast where he'd live the rest of his days trapped as a rat

and then later in the series its mentioned that people avoid the island because everyone hears someone shrieking for help and they think its haunted

because its the loving kid they did a war crime to screaming out with telepathy

like imagine being fourteen and the cool urban legend is actually a ahorrible thing that you did to another kid and everytime you hear it you have fuckin ptsd

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gently caress I missed all of this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the scene where they spy on a yeerk chatroom is the only accurate depiction of technology and the internet in the history of literature

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
to be fair the new kid wasn’t a psycho he was a kid on a hosed up situation and the animorphs kind of poo poo on him relentlessly.

Then he was a psycho

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

warren posted:

But when Hamas puts its rocket launchers next to hospitals, next to schools, they’re using their civilian population to protect their military assets. And I believe Israel has a right, at that point, to defend itself.

hmm

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

remember the time they recruited a new member and he turned out to be a psycho so they forced him to turn into a rat and then used their own pet psycho to take him out to a little lovely island off the coast where he'd live the rest of his days trapped as a rat

and then later in the series its mentioned that people avoid the island because everyone hears someone shrieking for help and they think its haunted

like imagine being fourteen and the cool urban legend is actually a ahorrible thing that you did to another kid and everytime you hear it you have fuckin ptsd

lol :hellyeah:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

to be fair the new kid wasn’t a psycho he was a kid on a hosed up situation and the animorphs kind of poo poo on him relentlessly.

Then he was a psycho

they saved his rear end from being killed or turned into a puppet for an alien and gave him animal powers and he was like why the gently caress arent we doing cooler poo poo with this

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

how do i unlearn all of this animorphs trivia

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rah! posted:

i dont remember animorphs too well except there was cute animals and also lots of "putrid guts" and blood and entrails and death and spaceships it was badass

I have a vivid memory of one of the animorphs, I think Jake, being dismembered as an ant.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the book about the conquest of the Hork-Bajir by the yeerks was just heartbreaking

these good simple tree demons got sucked into a galactic war in which they had no stakes, just to be used as living weapons

they were only ever meant to trim trees

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I have a vivid memory of one of the animorphs, I think Jake, being dismembered as an ant.

the ant scene is legit terrifying poo poo

turn off the TV posted:

how do i unlearn all of this animorphs trivia

its cool as gently caress and they hold up surprisingly well

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
from the deend thread

Endorph posted:

There's also the time Patrick fired people for saying that men should be considered sex offenders for raping their wives

quote:

Gov. Deval Patrick’s brother-in-law did not have to register as a sex offender because his hearing officer ruled that spousal rape is not considered rape in Massachusetts — a decision that has outraged victims’ advocates calling on the governor to disavow the claim and apologize.

“It’s insulting to all women,” said victims’ lawyer Wendy Murphy. “Gov. Deval Patrick knew this man was fighting to give his brother-in-law a discount for violence against women. You don’t get a discount from rape to a pat on the rear end because the victim was your wife.”

quote:

On September 17, 2014, Patrick fired the Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board chair Saundra Edwards and placed director Jeanne Holmes on paid administrative leave because they pressured the board to force Patrick's brother-in-law to register as a sex offender, based on his conviction for raping his wife, Patrick’s sister

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I used to be so excited about the new animorphs book coming out that my mom would drive me to buy it on release day and by the time we got home from the store I had already finished it

they were like 90 pages double spaced lol

the longer epic ones were sweet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
lmbo im reading wiki summaries of these books and i forgot rachel straight up threatening to kill david and his family if he outed the animorphs

and that hwen he says as much to the rest of the team nobody says poo poo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Calibanibal posted:

is "ax" a member of the species of alien thats super strong and fast and covered in blades but they have the brains of children

no, those are the hork-bajir

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Office Pig posted:

from the deend thread

jesus gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
they also made the new guy sleep in a barn and when he freaked out about his parents they told him tough poo poo rear end in a top hat

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i don’t know anything about animorphs

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Office Pig posted:

from the deend thread

you can't deny that this guy has cross party appeal

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I do remember all this

poo poo ruled

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

they also made the new guy sleep in a barn and when he freaked out about his parents they told him tough poo poo rear end in a top hat

hosed up that teenagers didnt have a good place for another teenager wanted by brainslugs who knew his identiy to stay on short notice

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Rah! posted:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also they dont tell him tough poo poo they explain whats going on and he's like nah i got it i'll ransom them back with the box and they're like no no no no no

no

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

no

thats not how this works doofus

which they're right to do, controllers with transforming tech is fuckin Bad News and also they'll just take david and brainslug him too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

hosed up that teenagers didnt have a good place for another teenager wanted by brainslugs who knew his identiy to stay on short notice

yeah they are huge pricks which I assumed was going to be why he betrayed them but nope he’s just also evil.

that part of the series is really bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

yeah they are huge pricks which I assumed was going to be why he betrayed them but nope he’s just also evil.

that part of the series is really bad

god yoou're an idiot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"its hosed up that on zero notice they didnt have a plan for a situation they had never encountered before, involving someone who could reveal their identities and get them all killed who was actively being hunted by the brainslugs, what assholes they are for not anticipating an edge case scenario like this"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

did anyone ever try to shoot the Animorphs

can you morph a bullet out of your body and then rip yourself in two by merit of the bullet being larger than you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Victory Position posted:

did anyone ever try to shoot the Animorphs

with lasers or regular guns

either way

yes

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the scene where they spy on a yeerk chatroom is the only accurate depiction of technology and the internet in the history of literature

Galactic USENET from A Fire Upon The Deep would like a word

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think you're too hard on the ol Ellimist, dickeye

crayak was out there destroying for shits and giggles, once Ellimist had the freedom of the stars he mostly spent his time ending wars, teaching people and building things

he didn't take up the war path until Crayak stumbled into his view, and his moves since then have been to minimize, subvert or negate Crayak's attempts at destruction

remember the mission to that weird alien planet, when the animorphs fought crayak's best engineered killers, and applegate introduced a generation to the concept of 'flechettes'

and jake ruined them as a weapon for crayak by streaming his memory of being held in his mother's arms directly into their hivemind

Ell's not a liberal, the only reason he no longer physically engages with Crayak is because the last time that happened it destroyed 1/10th of a galaxy, and E no longer has a physical body anyway

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

loquacius posted:

honestly if it's Redwall plus hindsight, meaning

a) with more variety in the plots
b) fewer racist undertones
c) less of Brian Jacques going on and on about food

then it can only be good

I know we moved on to Animorphs chat but

I don't know about the actual comic but the Mouse Guard paper and pencil RPG still describes weasels as inconvertibly evil. So yeah.

Fe: lol that these bright young succ hopes have such huge skeletons in their closets.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now I want to read all the animorphs books.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i think you're too hard on the ol Ellimist, dickeye

crayak was out there destroying for shits and giggles, once Ellimist had the freedom of the stars he mostly spent his time ending wars, teaching people and building things

he didn't take up the war path until Crayak stumbled into his view, and his moves since then have been to minimize, subvert or negate Crayak's attempts at destruction

remember the mission to that weird alien planet, when the animorphs fought crayak's best engineered killers, and applegate introduced a generation to the concept of 'flechettes'

and jake ruined them as a weapon for crayak by streaming his memory of being held in his mother's arms directly into their hivemind

Ell's not a liberal, the only reason he no longer physically engages with Crayak is because the last time that happened it destroyed 1/10th of a galaxy, and E no longer has a physical body anyway

he's a lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

Now I want to read all the animorphs books.

good news applegate has personally endorsed downloading the epubs that a fan made, which are SURPRISINGLY high quality