Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Do you ever get more skill slots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GigaPeon posted:

Do you ever get more skill slots?
Two extra slots unlock through the basic skill tree, and one more is in the expanded one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I sorely underestimated the shuffle functions willingness to drill you to death with one exercise repeating. :negative:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I got to Allegra and her attack animations are very much someone’s fetish

Also, I feel like her walk away animation is there to make me feel better after she wipes out 1/3 - 1/2 of my life in one attack phase :yosbutt:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i didn't even notice but yes you are correct, many folks will appreciate being stepped on in that way during their nintendo workout

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Abdonis rubs you with his abs.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Armand fists you

I got nothin

I just got to ch 6 and am not looking forward to fighting the Dark Four Masters. Then again I’m like five levels higher than the recommended level so fights haven’t been too bad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm out of shape so I picked this up hoping that at the very least it can help me with my abysmal stamina. Cleared world 1 before bed last night and felt fine this morning. Got 3 levels into World 2 before having to stop :ohdear:

This is going to be a long game for someone like me.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i just stop whenever the game wants me to take a break. usually 15mins of exercise time in. as long as i broke a sweat, it's all good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or is silent mode legit more difficult.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Is it just me or is silent mode legit more difficult.

Silent mode is more difficult for me in most situations except for stairs/pools of water. The game and I seem to disagree about how high up my knees are going so Silent Mode is a godsend for those bits.

Honestly, I just use silent mode but jog like normal mode at a slower pace, it seems to work pretty well. The legitimate Silent Mode squats are pretty difficult for me to do fast.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Saxophone posted:

The wife and I are gonna play this tomorrow night, and we're both looking forward to it. It's such an absolutely weird feeling to be excited about fitness.

My wife and I fuckin LOVE this thing, its gotten us both working out together for the first time in years and we keep each other going. It's great.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Unlucky7 posted:

Does the game have a new game plus or second loop? I would think that it would be perfect for it.

Good news, it does! So you can keep going after "finishing" the game.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How swole are your legs now, Araxxor? I only just got to World 7, because I had a busy weekend of working.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My skill setup is so fuckin' brutal right now. Leg Lifts, Flutter Kicks, Leg Scissors, Ring Raise Combo (my only friend), Mountain Climbers, Warrior 3, Hip Lifts, and Shoulder Press (we are becoming friends).

So difficult but maybe I'll finally turn this diet snapple into a 6-pack.

Also mountain climbers are easy when you're a skinny lanky dude. We each have our demons. Leg Lifts get me shaking halfway through the first set.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Manuel Calavera posted:

How swole are your legs now, Araxxor? I only just got to World 7, because I had a busy weekend of working.

Unfortunately I do not have the game myself. I only heard about it through other people who finished the main game and I remembered seeing a question about that here. I'm cheering you all on from the sidelines though. :v:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get it then, do your squats between splatting squids.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm pretty new to this whole "physical activity" stuff so sorry if this answer is, uh, obvious, but how do I know when I'm getting close to my body's limit, and what level of tiredness should I be shooting for for when I'm done? I cleared the first world in my first session and ended at difficulty 19, but holy goddamn poo poo I felt like death afterwards. I just laid down on the couch for like 15 minutes trying not to throw up. I figured I probably pushed myself too hard, so when starting world 2 today I asked the game to turn the difficulty down to 16. I was able to clear the first level okay (with a heart rate of 95% :confuoot:) then in the second level died to the first group of three enemies from not realizing I wasn't pushing ab guard in enough (and forgetting to keep holding it while enemies attacked, lol). I retried and after my first attack or two, realized I was starting to get the feeling I was hitting my limit, so I quit in the middle of the fight. I didn't need to lie down and puke, which was good, but I still felt crappy and a bit sick. I suspect it's better to turn the difficulty down and go for longer, rather than burning myself out too quickly like this. However, I don't really know what it even means to hit my "limit" or to push myself "too far". What kind of feeling should I be aiming for, really? To be tired and a bit sore, but not much beyond that? I'm a bit worried of going too easy and not getting anything out of it and not actually growing or improving any, but I suspect if I push myself too hard so I always feel like poo poo after working out, all the JRPG grinding in the world won't be motivation enough to keep me coming back.

Also, should I be working out every day? I had heard it's better to do so every other day, but the game seems to suggest doing it every day.

Also also, when I start getting more workout attacks to choose from, should I generally try to keep them balanced? Target only areas of my body I want to work out? Either?

I don't know what I'm doing!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm pretty new to this whole "physical activity" stuff so sorry if this answer is, uh, obvious, but how do I know when I'm getting close to my body's limit, and what level of tiredness should I be shooting for for when I'm done? I cleared the first world in my first session and ended at difficulty 19, but holy goddamn poo poo I felt like death afterwards. I just laid down on the couch for like 15 minutes trying not to throw up. I figured I probably pushed myself too hard, so when starting world 2 today I asked the game to turn the difficulty down to 16. I was able to clear the first level okay (with a heart rate of 95% :confuoot:) then in the second level died to the first group of three enemies from not realizing I wasn't pushing ab guard in enough (and forgetting to keep holding it while enemies attacked, lol). I retried and after my first attack or two, realized I was starting to get the feeling I was hitting my limit, so I quit in the middle of the fight. I didn't need to lie down and puke, which was good, but I still felt crappy and a bit sick. I suspect it's better to turn the difficulty down and go for longer, rather than burning myself out too quickly like this. However, I don't really know what it even means to hit my "limit" or to push myself "too far". What kind of feeling should I be aiming for, really? To be tired and a bit sore, but not much beyond that? I'm a bit worried of going too easy and not getting anything out of it and not actually growing or improving any, but I suspect if I push myself too hard so I always feel like poo poo after working out, all the JRPG grinding in the world won't be motivation enough to keep me coming back.

Also, should I be working out every day? I had heard it's better to do so every other day, but the game seems to suggest doing it every day.

Also also, when I start getting more workout attacks to choose from, should I generally try to keep them balanced? Target only areas of my body I want to work out? Either?

I don't know what I'm doing!!

All of those things you are describing are ways your body tells you that you’re pushing yourself too far. You shouldn’t feel like you’re going to throw up, your heart rate absolutely should NOT be getting above 90% for prolonged periods. Probably not above 80%, for that matter. Drop the difficulty level and take it slow. Make sure you are doing the dynamic stretch and cool down every session, as well.

If you’re worried you aren’t going to be doing enough, pushing yourself too hard is the wrong way to go about it because there’s a serious chance of injury. Start small and if it’s too easy gradually increase the difficulty until you work up a sweat and feel like your muscles are getting worked.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shout out to my small orange cat that feels the need to rush into my room every time I start playing and just stare me dead in the eye for 40 minutes straight.
Judging her fat owner who's doing very silly poses in a fitness video game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

All of those things you are describing are ways your body tells you that you’re pushing yourself too far. You shouldn’t feel like you’re going to throw up, your heart rate absolutely should NOT be getting above 90% for prolonged periods. Probably not above 80%, for that matter. Drop the difficulty level and take it slow. Make sure you are doing the dynamic stretch and cool down every session, as well.

If you’re worried you aren’t going to be doing enough, pushing yourself too hard is the wrong way to go about it because there’s a serious chance of injury. Start small and if it’s too easy gradually increase the difficulty until you work up a sweat and feel like your muscles are getting worked.

Thanks for the help! My muscles actually feel fine generally, maybe a little tender the next day but not sore. My problem is more one of stamina, I think. I'll crank down the difficulty a bunch!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Don't forget that there's no time limit for doing reps with your attacks. You don't have to speed up on the blue part of the bar and you can stop and rest any time you need to.

Drink water, catch your breath, finish your set.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yup, today I just did Allegra's test, and it was just squats rotating with knee lifts, and I had to start resting between squats. By the third battle I knew it was all I was gonna do for the day.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Don't forget that there's no time limit for doing reps with your attacks. You don't have to speed up on the blue part of the bar and you can stop and rest any time you need to.

Drink water, catch your breath, finish your set.

I keep not doing this, cause I understand that keeping my heart rate up is important. As long as it isn’t over 90%, I can probably handle it.

Don’t be like me though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

Yup, today I just did Allegra's test, and it was just squats rotating with knee lifts, and I had to start resting between squats. By the third battle I knew it was all I was gonna do for the day.

What about Thigh Squeezes or whatever it’s called. That one is super easy. I just unlocked the overhead wide squats and am excited/terrified to try them since I basically always cheat at wide squats by resting my elbows on my knees.

Knee Lifts are the best though, reminds me of being in a circle pit at a punk/ska show.

Edit: lol you can unlock Warrior III, yeah right like I would voluntarily do Warrior III

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What about Thigh Squeezes or whatever it’s called. That one is super easy. I just unlocked the overhead wide squats and am excited/terrified to try them since I basically always cheat at wide squats by resting my elbows on my knees.

Knee Lifts are the best though, reminds me of being in a circle pit at a punk/ska show.

Edit: lol you can unlock Warrior III, yeah right like I would voluntarily do Warrior III
I forgot their name too lol I think thigh press. But after doing so many squats, the only way I could get a great reading was almost sitting on my calfs, they were killing me too. I was using the knee lifts as easier finishers since I could rush through them. I was also forcing myself to do more squats since it's a major target area for me.

Side note, I think it was mentioned that there's an achievement for so many days straight, but I think it just counts days, as I just got it but have been taking days off.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I feel like giving a title for working out so many days in a row (unless that number were 3 or 4) would be antithetical to the game’s philosophy of not pushing yourself too hard. Nintendo doesn’t want to encourage people to hurt themselves by never taking days off.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I hope there's no level cap, because I'm at 80, and nowhere near completing the grid.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

i am so fuckin out of shape lol

anyway my FC is SW-7930-5907-2202 if you want someone to feel good in comparison to.

that dragon swole af

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I feel like giving a title for working out so many days in a row (unless that number were 3 or 4) would be antithetical to the games philosophy of not pushing yourself too hard. Nintendo doesnt want to encourage people to hurt themselves by never taking days off.

You can just cheese it, pop into Adventure, and right out. I know I did one or two days in my 7 or 10 (whichever it is) stretch. I've otherwise done legit working out though. And feel like it's doing a lot more than anything I do at the gym.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I hope there's no level cap, because I'm at 80, and nowhere near completing the grid.

If there is a cap, it's not 100.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
You'll know you hit your level cap when you manage to snap the ring in half mid-set.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I went through 3 glasses of water doing my first day's session (past the first Dragaux fight). I was expecting a light and fluffy introduction after the Wii Fit games, not to be bludgeoned over the head with my own flab.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
extremely cool that I found the quest for the leg gym after I'd already gotten a 96 in the leg gym

also my legs are too long compared to my arms to do mountain climbers without wanting to die so hopefully the game will not force me to do them again

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I was not able to do world 2 in one session. ow.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I was not able to do world 2 in one session. ow.

Yeah, doing a whole world in a day stops being feasible real fast.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Junpei Hyde posted:

i am so fuckin out of shape lol

anyway my FC is SW-7930-5907-2202 if you want someone to feel good in comparison to.

that dragon swole af

are friend codes being appended to the op? that'd be great

on wednesday night I gave blood, so I haven't played again till tonight. after approximately 13 minutes of active exercise (30 mins of gameplay I think), I was just absolutely wiped out. Didn't help that I did the world 7 leg gym for a quest and chair pose/wide squats murdered the hell out of me. I'm just now kinda recovered 4 hours later. I think me being down half a liter of blood is the cause, but I don't know. I haven't felt particularly tired the past few days until now, and the donation hadn't seemed to have an effect on me, but tonight I was wiped out by the game.

oh well, gonna play again tomorrow and beat world 7 dragaux (and maybe start world 8 some too).

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 16, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha holy hell, don't train when you've just donated blood! I like your attitude but jesus.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm out of town, but will put whatever friend codes I see in the thread up in the OP by Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Getting your blood pumping and pushing yourself is often a good thing, but remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. The toughest exercise in the world can’t erase a lifetime of crap in a single night.