Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

You don’t really need that elaborate arenas, just a couple of layers of platforms. Maintaining a farm and fishing for potions is way more time consuming, especially since you need to hop between worlds to get completely optimal stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm on my first expert playthrough and I'd prefer not to mess up the map by building arenas besides a tiny statue farm based one at home for cheesing invasions.

What's your workflow for doing this:

watho posted:

Maintaining a farm and fishing for potions

bij
Feb 24, 2007

If you aren't trying to rush I don't think you need to change much up for Expert. Get some bombs or fish up a Reaver Shark ASAP then smash a Shadow Orb / Crimson Heart before midnight. If a meteor doesn't drop, do it again the next night. Meteor Armor and a space gun will let you thrash the EoW or Brain pretty easily. If you pick up a trident and some Moonglow seeds on your way to the Ocean you're set.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

+1 for not ever really building boss arenas. I'll put platforms over some deep pits so I don't fall into any caves but that's about it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Trident? What for?

Also which potions are you most thinking of for early bosses? Buffs have such short timespans that don't always even run out after the same amount of time. Does the orange "take all your buff potions" button re-take the potions that haven't run out yet if you press it again?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I usually fight EOC on night 2 or 3 with a boreal/ebon/shade wood bow and some frostburn arrows and use his drop to skip up to whichever evil bow my world has. If I'm feeling fancy I'll flatten out a spot near my house to call an arena.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 13, 2019

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The spear and trident are just extra useful in Expert because of the high knockback, they aren't necessary but if you snag one early it can be helpful.

I don't know about the buff button specifically but for the first couple bosses I run Iron Skin, Swiftness, and Regeneration. I don't think you need Endurance potions running early on but you'll want them from Skeletron to the end of the game

Turn any clay you snag into pots and use them to get an early Daybloom and Blinkroot farm going, get Moonglow going next for Spelunker potions, and find or create a glowing mushroom biome so you have plenty of shrooms for Shine.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ah, thanks!

Your way sounds more reliable. My playthrough so far has depended on luck more. I got a bladed glove drop because Halloween, and there's all the knockback I'll ever need, before I found any tridents. I used the bladed glove to defeat EOC although sadly I had to spam the nurse because I did not have an armor set. First time I've ever spammed the nurse and it feels cheap but MAN is it literally cheap, and does it work. I only found out recently that this can be done without worrying about keeping the nurse alive (practically nothing kills her).

I also lucked into a shark statue and used that surface level dungeon switch to farm up a diving helmet. Flippers soon followed from the ocean. That's why I never made an armor set. Underwater was still dark, but that was soon resolved too and opened up lots of early treasure.

I also lucked into a skeleton merchant or two very early and used them to refill on spelunker glowsticks, solving the underwater sight problem and skipping the need for moonglow at least. I drop one when digging down, but otherwise never spend them and just hold them in my hand to see what's around. I still drop plenty of them accidentally due to the bad controls on Mobile, hence the need for refills. Bummer about the found spelunker items no longer lighting up to be identified in the 1.3 Mobile update! Also bummer on chests no longer being openable from far away since the update.

I also lucked into a Nymph or two fairly early on, yielding two metal detectors. That plus the spelunker glowsticks lets me make a beeline for all chests.

I do not think my bladed glove will be enough to kill EOW without the nurse nearby, but the goblins just came and dropped a harpoon, which I can apparently just fire at the ground near it for high enough damage output, plus tons of spiky balls thrown everywhere. Hopefully that should do it. Failing that I'll look for a meteorite and build real gear.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 13, 2019

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You should be good, you can kill the EoW with a Harpoon pretty easily without much preparation. I like to get Meteor Armor because I usually play on a server with folks that don't have as much time to be a huge nerd as I do so I have a ton of time to kill before Hardmode. Meteor Armor is just handy for everything prior to WoF.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eschenique posted:

My point is more that Expert doesn't make the game any more challenging but rather more tedious. Bosses that could normally be easily defeated in their natural environment with dodging etc instead requires elaborate arenas.

I always play on expert and the most elaborate arena I usually make in vanilla is a set of floating platforms with torches, and I guess paving over the gaps in part of hell to make the WoF easier. My skeletron arena is almost always "the top of the dungeon with some platforms above it"; any boss that is biome agnostic from the first eye I kill to the moon lord I'll use the exact same floating arena near my house for.

I made some much more elaborate arenas for Calamity Revengeance but the bosses in that are kaizo insanity compared to vanilla.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wait, is the spelunker buff a different effect from the spelunker glowsticks? DO the treasure chests / hearts / different ore types still in fact light up to identify themselves with a potion after all, as opposed to just sparkle, and I just haven't been trying potions again ever since finding my first glowsticks?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Spelunker isn't just a sparkle, it shows ore, chests, herbs, and heart crystals with a clear yellowish overlay.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ahhhh I had assumed that 1.3 deleted that functionality because it took me a while to notice that the spelunker glow sticks I encounted were only sparkling, and by then I had long since started just substituting them for potions assuming they were the same

I could have REALLY been making a beeline for each chest with the metal detector all this time then with potions, whoops lmao

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I like to finish my hellavetor and then drink a spelunker and just drop straight down and hook to the side when I see something nice.

Some ores look a little too similar in my opinion. I also was kind of attached to the iron + silver + gold ore and making lead stuff doesn't feel right.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 13, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

What's the deal with growing stuff in pots these days?

Used to be I could throw down 50 tightly packed pots and put in 50 seeds then a while later I would have 50 flowers to collect.

Now maybe 15 or 20 of those bloom and the rest just never.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What's your workflow for doing this:

Farms are easy so long as you know when to harvest, I just build a glass house or dig a pit with glass over it (the glass is just for thematic reasons, everything can grow wherever) and put planter boxes bought from the dryad there. On vanilla I tend to keep a chest with alchemy ingredients on the surface next to an alchemy table so I can just hit auto stack while running past it.

Harvest daybloom during the day to get seeds, moonglow during night, waterleaf when it’s raining, fireblossom during sunset, and deathweed during blood moon or full moon. Blonkroot will bloom randomly and shiverthorn is based on time so just check them periodically. Deathweed is by far the one that’s most annoying to keep a steady supply of.

As for fishing i will try to consolidate water sources into a big underground lake thing in the relevant biomes and just fish there for a while with like a podcast or something on, maybe watch videos. The most useful fish are armored cavefish from underground to make 10% damage resistance potions, and ebonkoi/hemopirhana from corruption/crimson for 10% damage/crit chance boost.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eschenique posted:

What's the deal with growing stuff in pots these days?
Used to be I could throw down 50 tightly packed pots and put in 50 seeds then a while later I would have 50 flowers to collect.
Now maybe 15 or 20 of those bloom and the rest just never.
What seeds are you using?
Personally I just use planter pots. Much cheaper than regular pots and they come in a variety of colors. Plus, they double as self-contained platforms, rather than needing a platform to sit on.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I am glad to know that they did not nerf spelunker potions into uselessness.

I'll try to buy a lot more planters and automate potions until their only cost to me is inventory space, then I won't have to care about wasting them

Are the latter two potions you mentioned available pre-hardmode?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yes

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Vib Rib posted:

What seeds are you using?
Personally I just use planter pots. Much cheaper than regular pots and they come in a variety of colors. Plus, they double as self-contained platforms, rather than needing a platform to sit on.

I suspect they added some penalty to growth for planting them too close together?

There was some reason I didn't use planters but I don't remember why. Do they use more space?

My setup is usually 200 daybloom and then 100 of all the other plants. Then I leave the game on overnight and harvest the next day.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i can think of no good reason you wouldn't use planters aside from how irritating is that you slowly unlock them

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Patware posted:

i can think of no good reason you wouldn't use planters aside from how irritating is that you slowly unlock them

The ideal is to have each herb type in its own planter, but there's no reason why you can't have them all in daybloom planter boxes. Farming coins to buy them is generally faster and easier than farming clay, anyway, and you can build the planter boxes by themselves. Pots need a platform/etc.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Patware posted:

You mean unlocking more just for cosmetic reasons right? Because it says any of them will work for any seed. e: fb

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Are planters 1x1 for every plant like pots? Also can you jump down through them like you can pots on platforms?

I never saw clay farming as an issue because just mining the clay I come across while adventuring will keep me with pots faster than my seed gathering and seed growth can fill them.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ambaire posted:

The ideal is to have each herb type in its own planter, but there's no reason why you can't have them all in daybloom planter boxes.

RATS

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ambaire posted:

The ideal is to have each herb type in its own planter, but there's no reason why you can't have them all in daybloom planter boxes. Farming coins to buy them is generally faster and easier than farming clay, anyway, and you can build the planter boxes by themselves. Pots need a platform/etc.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You mean unlocking more just for cosmetic reasons right? Because it says any of them will work for any seed. e: fb

gently caress me, really?

Thanks. :downs:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Eschenique posted:

Are planters 1x1 for every plant like pots? Also can you jump down through them like you can pots on platforms?

Yes and yes.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes and yes.

Why do I never use them then? Are they expensive or late to show up?

Edit: Noticed you can't get them until killing a boss which is usually by the time I have most of my planting already going.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just tried making my first planter farm. I found a gap and spanned it across with several bridges of planter boxes.

I did not know there was a difference between "sprout" "mature" and "blooming" so I broke a lot of blinkroot at the "mature" phase, the wrong time for them to drop seeds. Oops. Running out of seeds, but now I know to look for the yellow buds.

When you say the planter boxes can be 1x1, you still need to leave an air gap above them for any plants to grow right? Are you mostly just talking about horizontal restrictions? But could my bridges have been just one air gap apart without any penalty? I can fit more layers between them if so!

How do I avoid accidentally mining the wrong plant? I turn off smart cursor but still my pickaxe smashes through seedlings near the plant I am trying to mine. Ugh.
Unless I zoom waaay in, which is hazard for getting attacked.

Speaking of which, how do I avoid getting attacked in the gap that I bridged over with planter boxes? At night it's impossible to harvest anything with so many flying eyeballs and zombies. I tried digging a minor fall trap on either side but that seems slow to do and not the best way?

Anyway, my woes with pickaxe aiming might be over because:

I just read that the staff of regrowth allows me to just plant like crazy, indiscriminately, and do not have to even wait for anything to bloom at the right times before attempting harvest? The seeds will drop, even if it's not time to bloom, and if they won't, the staff of regrowth will refuse to break them. Wow.

That might be important for anyone who does not know it!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I just build my farm close enough to my NPCs so monsters don’t spawn

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I just read that the staff of regrowth allows me to just plant like crazy, indiscriminately, and do not have to even wait for anything to bloom at the right times before attempting harvest? The seeds will drop, even if it's not time to bloom, and if they won't, the staff of regrowth will refuse to break them. Wow.

That might be important for anyone who does not know it!

Holy poo poo

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

How are y'all not using Staff of Regrowth for gardening? It makes the whole thing much easier.

There is one weird thing about it, though. You'll get seeds from non-blooming plants if you plant on dirt, but in a planter box or pot, you get the feature of only harvesting blooming plants (and harvesting extra seeds/flowers). For maximum benefit, plant most stuff in planters, but firebloom and deathweed in dirt.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I didn't for a while because it didn't exist when I first playing :smugdog:

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

By the time I can explore the underground jungle for Staff of Regrowth my growing area filled will pots will have been completed with time to spare (need mah potions)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
One more reason to rush big caves to some underground chests early on IMO

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Usually I just turtle in my base for the first 6 or so hours. Making all the rooms I will need for the end game, placing pots, walls etc.

Then I get seeds for every flower. Like making a suicide run into the jungle and digging myself into the ground below a budding moonglow and then just sitting there until it blooms.

Take a trip to the ocean and gather all the coral, get the chest and then mirror back home, make a hellavator with water stored on the sides and then dump that + gill potion to clear lava and then quickly dart into hell to get firebloom seeds.

Then once I have one of every flower planted I put out 5-10 pots for each type and go out adventuring as they grow. Then as I find more clay I put down more pots in front of each flower (double for daybloom)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's fascinating, a really potions-first way of playing the game. It sounds safer than almost anything, like if you're playing Hardcore maybe? The speedruns never attempt to gather potion ingredients, or even build houses really.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How do I avoid accidentally mining the wrong plant? I turn off smart cursor but still my pickaxe smashes through seedlings near the plant I am trying to mine. Ugh.
Unless I zoom waaay in, which is hazard for getting attacked.

Speaking of which, how do I avoid getting attacked in the gap that I bridged over with planter boxes? At night it's impossible to harvest anything with so many flying eyeballs and zombies. I tried digging a minor fall trap on either side but that seems slow to do and not the best way?
... Build it indoors, near your residents? Player-placed back walls prevent enemy spawns, as do multiple town NPCs close to each other.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Eschenique posted:

By the time I can explore the underground jungle for Staff of Regrowth my growing area filled will pots will have been completed with time to spare (need mah potions)

This is why I use Imksushi's mod. It adds tokens that drop from any mod, based on the biome and general progression, that can be crafted into biome/progression appropriate items at the Anvil and Tinkerer's Workshop. For example, pre-boss loot tokens (that have a chance to drop from any mob before you kill the first boss) can be crafted into (at 25 tokens apiece) Bezoar, Black Lens, Depth Meter, Desert Spirit Lamp, Diving Helmet, Jellyfish Necklace, Money Trough, Shackle, Slime Staff, or Tattered Cloth. Once you've defeated a goblin invasion and gotten the Tinkerer's Workshop, you can head over to the Jungle and kill Jungle mobs for Jungle tokens to craft the Staff of Regrowth, Boomstick, Flower Boots, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh yeah mods make the staff of regrowth ez pz to get but I tried to keep my advice strictly vanilla since dumb lowtax is in mobile