Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

joat mon posted:

Is that what used to be called a 'suspicion'?

A South American government is overthrown by the military, whose leaders were trained by the FBI and at the SOTA, shortly after their duly elected president decided to socialize their mineral rights. If the CIA isn't involved, then some people at Langley are getting fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Pretty good job to get the protests going two weeks before he nationalized the mine then

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Pretty good job to get the protests going two weeks before he nationalized the mine then

Do you have a defense of the police not allowing legislators from the majority party to enter their capital building to vote?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Oh, shut the gently caress up.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

hypnophant posted:

It's not like they don't have plenty of practice in destabilizing governments.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A Bad Poster posted:

A South American government is overthrown by the military, whose leaders were trained by the FBI and at the SOTA, shortly after their duly elected president decided to socialize their mineral rights. If the CIA isn't involved, then some people at Langley are getting fired.

That's a good suspicion.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
At this point it feels like Hypnophant is posting from inside the coup...

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Andean states are restive in general right now. Ecuador's left-wing government fled the capital last month after attempting to end subsidies and implement austerity measures which caused protests. Chile's right-wing government is currently facing massive protests that started over public transit fare increases. Peru's president has dissolved the right-wing dominated congress over corruption issues with new elections in January, and has deployed the military against protesters at a Chinese-owned copper mine. There's a bunch of low-level violence in Columbia right now against local politicians due to recent elections, and (IIRC) demobbed FARC members have been forming cartels and murdering indigenous people over drug plantations while the government goes "lol whatever." And Maduro is still starving Venezuela.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
https://twitter.com/organizingpower/status/1193773026535448577?s=21

Hmm.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well then.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Oh right almost forgot, some South Carolinian Libertarian politician showed up in Chile shooting at protesters.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article237279074.html

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

The Washington Post said Corbin “participated in the League of the South, a neo-Confederate hate group” in South Carolina before his failed congressional campaign.

Im actually shocked that someone running for office who was part of a rascist hate group in the Carolinas didnt win easily

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If there is one good thing coming from the impeachment it’s that trump is occupied. Like a child.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

That is a news source I've never, ever seen before (with a .news url, which automatically trips my bullshit alarm), which has no description of itself of any kind (and which has a suspended Twitter account), in a story written by a reporter I can't find any information on, citing audio posted by a Costa Rican newspaper(?) who I also can't find any information on, outside their own website.

Just because you agree with the source's conclusions doesn't mean the source isn't bullshit.

E: a brief search for news sources in Costa Rica doesn't even bring up "El periodico." I can only find it by googling "elperiodicocr."

Note also that the story, while cited to "El Periodico", doesn't include a link to it on "El Periodico's" website. Or even says that it came from there outside "Elvis Martinez / EP". The reader is presumably supposed to infer that from the initials and the name of the SoundCloud account.

Nor is it tagged under the listed author therein:

https://elperiodicocr.com/tag/elvis-martinez/

Checking "En24.news":

Registry Expiration: 2020-05-21 00:05:31 UTC
Updated: 2019-11-06 03:00:40 UTC
Created: 2019-05-21 00:05:31 UTC

Yes, clearly a completely unknown news site created 6 months ago that only reports things from other sources, completely uncited, must be trustworthy.

Oh but don't worry, it's been picked up by telesur, the Venezuelan state owned outlet, so it must be true.

Check your freaking sources, that's all I ask. And when in doubt, don't trust Twitter randos. Especially don't trust partisan Twitter randos.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 14, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Check your freaking sources, that's all I ask. And when in doubt, don't trust Twitter randos.

Don't freaking self-censor, you dingbat. I come to these forums for some authentic gutter talk.

/edit: I thought for a moment that was the Eve News 24 domain and had a good laugh

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
http://cepr.net/press-center/press-...-analysis-shows

quote:

Washington, DC ― Statistical analysis of election returns and tally sheets from Bolivia’s October 20 elections shows no evidence that irregularities or fraud affected the official result that gave President Evo Morales a first-round victory, researchers and analysts at the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) say. Contrary to a postelection narrative that was supported, without evidence, by the OAS Electoral Observation Mission, statistical analysis shows that it was predictable that Morales would obtain a first-round win, based on the results of the first 83.85 percent of votes in a rapid count that showed Morales leading runner-up Carlos Mesa by less than 10 points.

And if you're saying "well the OAS said it was a sham!" the OAS has agendas of their own sometimes:

quote:

“We encourage anyone interested in what happened in Bolivia’s elections to do their own examination of the tally sheets and their own statistical analysis,” Long said. “Hopefully, the OAS electoral mission will do that. But we also need to remember that an OAS electoral mission overturned election results in Haiti in 2011 with no statistical or other basis for doing so.”

edit: here's some info on some people who started the coup

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/11/11/bolivia-coup-fascist-foreign-support-fernando-camacho/

quote:

The presidential candidate Bolivia’s opposition had fielded in the October election, Carlos Mesa, is a “pro-business” privatizer with extensive ties to Washington. US government cables published by WikiLeaks reveal that he regularly corresponded with American officials in their efforts to destabilize Morales.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

That is a news source I've never, ever seen before (with a .news url, which automatically trips my bullshit alarm), which has no description of itself of any kind (and which has a suspended Twitter account), in a story written by a reporter I can't find any information on, citing audio posted by a Costa Rican newspaper(?) who I also can't find any information on, outside their own website.

Just because you agree with the source's conclusions doesn't mean the source isn't bullshit.

E: a brief search for news sources in Costa Rica doesn't even bring up "El periodico." I can only find it by googling "elperiodicocr."

Note also that the story, while cited to "El Periodico", doesn't include a link to it on "El Periodico's" website. Or even says that it came from there outside "Elvis Martinez / EP". The reader is presumably supposed to infer that from the initials and the name of the SoundCloud account.

Checking "En24.news":

Yes, clearly a completely unknown news site created 6 months ago that only reports things from other sources, completely uncited, must be trustworthy.

Oh but don't worry, it's been picked up by telesur, the Venezuelan state owned outlet, so it must be true.

Check your freaking sources, that's all I ask. And when in doubt, don't trust Twitter randos. Especially don't trust partisan Twitter randos.

Yeah, you’re right. I should have done some work to check the source. Usually I’m pretty good about it but I was lazy this time, my bad :shrug:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Ragaman posted:

Yeah, you’re right. I should have done some work to check the source. Usually I’m pretty good about it but I was lazy this time, my bad :shrug:

I found an article that cited that audio recording and it was dated a day before the election even happened. Still can't find the actual audio of tbeeak yet though

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Checking "En24.news":

One of the now suspended twitter accounts had a post the day before the coup saying that tomorrow there is going to be a coup, and hey, here is audio tapes of them planning a coup. Same account had like two weeks of posts saying that people were planning a coup

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

M_Gargantua posted:

One of the now suspended twitter accounts had a post the day before the coup saying that tomorrow there is going to be a coup, and hey, here is audio tapes of them planning a coup. Same account had like two weeks of posts saying that people were planning a coup
Can you provide a link to a source on this? This claim is another of the things that's been circulating left-wing Twitter that doesn't have a clear originator, just vague allusions to "a Spanish-language Twitter account that hady been banned". Screenshots of individual tweets are extremely easy to fake.

Back during the DAPL protests, the goons dispatched to disperse the protestors rightly earned a lot of hate from folks. A number of my friends would post anything and everything they came across that fit their side of the story, including one very memorable picture of the encampment with a caption along the lines of: "THIS IS THE STRENGTH OF THE PROTEST MOVEMENT. BET THE CORPORATE MEDIA HASN'T SHOWN YOU THIS. FACEBOOK IS TRYING TO HIDE THIS POST, SHARE TO SHOW THEM THE TRUTH WINS". The picture was an aerial photo of Woodstock.

See, the poster's heart was in the right place, but their bullshit sensor was all out of wack. Because of their buy-in to the cause, their brain gave a pass to anything portraying the protest in a good light and the opponents in a bad one. Fake news like that actively undermines the cause they support by making them look laughable and untrustworthy to anyone that recognizes the problem.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Saugus-High-School-Shooting-Santa-Clarita-California-564919052.html

Active shooter situation at a California high school.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’m watching the Chairman of the Federal Reserve testifying to the House because I hate myself, and he just said he doesn’t see any bubbles happening right now or any other potential warning signs of a recession.

So this is going to be fun. Time to start stockpiling beans and bullets we’ve got Depression 2.0 coming.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I’m watching the Chairman of the Federal Reserve testifying to the House because I hate myself, and he just said he doesn’t see any bubbles happening right now or any other potential warning signs of a recession.

So this is going to be fun. Time to start stockpiling beans and bullets we’ve got Depression 2.0 coming.

They've just got to hold out another year.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/1194983687508676609?s=19

That's George Soros' son, who isn't even a state department employe from what I hear

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/1194983687508676609?s=19

That's George Soros' son, who isn't even a state department employe from what I hear

Is George Soros’ son also a communist nazi funding deep state initiatives? I don’t keep up on my right wing crazy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Not even double-digits, yawn, boring, no pizzazz.

https://twitter.com/HenryMayoHosp/status/1195016245336129536?s=19

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh okay, so apparently on some crazy fox dickhead show last night they had a dude on that said George Soros controls most of the state department, and most of the FBI especially their activities in Ukraine.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Where did the Soros poo poo come from originally? InfoWars and/or Stormfront?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
If "a dude" means a member of President Trump's legal defense team, then yup. Here's some details where those anti-Semitic attacks came from.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/dangerous-when-cornered

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

A second official has hit Trump Tower

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't reading TPM, you should. They've got some great analysis. Including this one that just went up today that pulls a lot of the red string together.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/the-most-pivotal-moment-in-the-trump-ukraine-scandal-timeline

quote:

The crucial piece in understanding the Ukraine scandal is that two months before Zelensky won power – in February 2019 – Trump thought that he had done a deal which would transform Ukraine into a domestic political bludgeon.

It came as then-President Petro Poroshenko prepared to fight for re-election in two successive rounds of elections: one in March, and a runoff scheduled for April. Poroshenko was facing an uphill battle with declining popularity, and doing Trump a solid could benefit Poroshenko politically at home.

Giuliani had already met with a key Poroshenko official, prosecutor general Yuriy Lutsenko, in New York City in January, and then again in Warsaw in February. Giuliani was accompanied on both trips by Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, who were later indicted for an alleged campaign finance scheme.

Giuliani reportedly spoke with Trump about “investigations” after the January meeting, where Lutsenko spun Giuliani a tale about abuse of office by Joe Biden and supposed collusion in 2016 between Ukraine and the DNC.

By late February, the Wall Street Journal reported last week, Poroshenko was open to a deal pushed by Parnas and Fruman in which the Ukrainian leader would get electoral help via a state visit to the U.S., while he would give Trump a lift by announcing investigations into the Bidens and potential Ukrainian interference in the 2016 elections.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Bad Poster posted:

Being a billionaire funding political organizations is ok if you're republican, but if you're a democrat you're plotting the rise of the new world order.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

A Bad Poster posted:

Soros has been slagged off in the British press since 1992 when we had a huge economic crash, he made a bunch of cash betting against our government on the money markets. Which was entirely the governments fault, but I bet there's rather a large amount of racist British people that think a jew made it happen. Our press is so loving antisemitic I can't even joke about it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

Soros has been slagged off in the British press since 1992 when we had a huge economic crash, he made a bunch of cash betting against our government on the money markets. Which was entirely the governments fault, but I bet there's rather a large amount of racist British people that think a jew made it happen. Our press is so loving antisemitic I can't even joke about it.

Wow I can't believe the labour party owns all the British media

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Wow I can't believe the labour party owns all the British media

Watching them pull that on the labour party while being so antisemitic themselves is so insane it's pretty much exploded my irony fuse.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

speaking of labour...

Boris Johnson Is Not Britain’s Donald Trump. Jeremy Corbyn Is.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Slim Pickens posted:

Being a billionaire funding political organizations is ok if you're republican, but if you're a democrat you're plotting the rise of the new world order.

He’s also Jewish, which I imagine has a lot to do with it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lol, yes this ostrich and this sparrow are exactly the same thing because they have feathers and wings.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The 1st time I remember hearing about Soros related crap was on Drudge Report circa 2001-2002 or so. Maybe Rush Limbaugh was running with that too but I never listened to him once I stopped working in my dads shop after going to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Soros wasn't well known in the US until voiced his opposition to the Iraq War. Now he's the boogeyman.