Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey I'm trying to avoid all spoilers, but have the actual starter evolutions been leaked yet because I want to see them if so.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJHWqdLufYw

national treasure of a human being Tim Rogers of Kotaku says he loves SwSh and the dude is typically hyper-critical of games-- and I trust his opinion and therefore am convinced the game is Good

this is not a full extensive review (seriously the guy puts out hour+ reviews) due to the review embargo limits, so he'll have more to say later, but after hearing what he has to say I am officially Excited

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey I'm trying to avoid all spoilers, but have the actual starter evolutions been leaked yet because I want to see them if so.

Imgur is not letting me upload the pictures, but here's an article with all the evolutions and their special moves.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

national treasure of a human being Tim Rogers of Kotaku says he loves SwSh and the dude is typically hyper-critical of games-- and I trust his opinion and therefore am convinced the game is Good

this is not a full extensive review (seriously the guy puts out hour+ reviews) due to the review embargo limits, so he'll have more to say later, but after hearing what he has to say I am officially Excited

also the game looks good and doesn't seem to have the draw distance issues we saw before-- and that's something he'd complain about for sure

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Cartoon Violence posted:

yeah dude. gorilla drum monkey, soccer bunny, and TF2's The Spy

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 14, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

Imgur is not letting me upload the pictures, but here's an article with all the evolutions and their special moves.

Did they remove scope lens or something because I know for a fact intelleon gets focus energy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

extra row of teeth posted:

I’m a girl so I play a girl. This will probably never happen, but what I would really like are more robust POC options.

It was infuriating being surrounded by people in Alola with my exact skin tone yet not being able to choose it at the start, just white or various shades of black. I mean it’s nice to have a choice of color at all but still the color is already in the game fuuuuuuck

That should definitely be a feature, just give people a slider and let them pick whichever skin they want instead of having to choose from the default options.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Flopsy posted:

Didn't notice if they did. Also Hop is absolutely Hau 2.0 but he's animated better so I don't especially care.
technically he's mostly the same animation rig but with a better model :ssh:

that's not really a complaint though, those animations were fine and hau was great. like, 10/10 best rival, IMO.

Khanstant posted:

Don't see why they couldn't just take your average party level and have trainers you face have +/- a few levels. Maybe give trainers more than two of the weakest pokemon from the area?
that would mean that kids wouldn't be able to power level if they wanted, and it would be really easy to break over your knee (ie: have a level 1 pokemon with you to bring down the level)

Framboise posted:

The girl trainer always looks better and gets the better clothing options in later gens. It's not even a question which to choose
well that's because girls are best, duh

Framboise posted:

u can choose donuts or a broom it's also an easy choice

(admittedly I'm biased because I didn't care for bw2 and donut girl is probably my least favorite even if I like her

the best design in bw2 is champion Iris)
while the hair donuts are a little silly, I think they're cute in a dorky way :shobon:
also I like her color scheme and her weird skirt/shorts thing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calling the Wild Area a Dragon Quest game for the Dreamcast is... pretty harsh but good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

yeah dude. gorilla drum monkey, soccer bunny, and TF2's The Spy

I wish Scorbunny's middle evo was its final evo becasue it's so much cooler

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Macaluso posted:

I wish Scorbunny's middle evo was its final evo becasue it's so much cooler
the middle evolution looks like he's trying to be a naruto character and i just cant take him seriously because of that

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Blaziken386 posted:

technically he's mostly the same animation rig but with a better model :ssh:

that's not really a complaint though, those animations were fine and hau was great. like, 10/10 best rival, IMO.

I've become more lukewarm on Alola as the months have gone by, but Hau really was the greatest.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
game... good?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

the middle evolution looks like he's trying to be a naruto character and i just cant take him seriously because of that

Uh yeah, like I said

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Calling the Wild Area a Dragon Quest game for the Dreamcast is... pretty harsh but good.

The fact that that's the harshest thing he had to say* does nothing but shine on the game, because he said it was a compliment. And it was, he's said many times that Dragon Quest is by far his favorite series ever.

*(well, aside from his snipes at Nintendo being really stupid with review embargos-- those were harsh and deserved)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Framboise posted:

Note how most of the time he's having his character run into the camera. At 4:20 there's a trailing camera, at 4:22 a butterfly pops into existence not 20 yards in front, and then someone under a tree also only appears relatively close at 4:23, with the video immediately changing scenes like that wasn't supposed to appear. Looks like the pop-in is still pretty bad. Again at 5:42 holy gently caress that actor load distance is absurdly short. At 10:20 is just running past that same area again in the other direction in rain.

The only real city running is in the start and the sides (where stuff is probably popping in) is blocked by those banners.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 14, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i love when the middle evo exudes Real Teen Energy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tim Rogers confirms that Wooloo is NOT a pokemon.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Uh yeah, like I said

well there's no accounting for taste i guess :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tim Rogers confirms that Wooloo is NOT a pokemon.

yeah its not a pokemon, it's a welshman's wife.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Note how most of the time he's having his character run into the camera. At 4:20 there's a trailing camera, at 4:22 a butterfly pops into existence not 20 yards in front, and then someone under a tree also only appears relatively close at 4:23, with the video immediately changing scenes like that wasn't supposed to appear. Looks like the pop-in is still pretty bad. Again at 5:42 holy gently caress that actor load distance is absurdly short. At 10:20 is just running past that same area again in the other direction in rain.

The only real city running is in the start and the sides (where stuff is probably popping in) is blocked by those banners.

Compare this to Breath of the Wild, where you can make some absurdly long range bow snipe shots, or see guardians moving from hundreds of yards away.

If you see differently, please point out how I'm misperceiving that.

I don't give a gently caress about Breath of the Wild.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Compare this to Breath of the Wild, where you can make some absurdly long range bow snipe shots, or see guardians moving from hundreds of yards away.

None of this has any effect on being able to make new Pokemon friends. Also gently caress Breath of the Wild

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'd rather an anime ninja than that...way too just...human like...rabbit. Bugs Bunny rear end rabbit. Looks like his name is Josh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ambaire posted:

I'm actually gonna try for a response that isn't 'eat my butt' here. I see people constantly say BotW as if that's the stick we're measuring against...why? Like...they're two entirely different kinds of games, you need maximum visibility because BotW is all about terrain navigation and for a large chunk of it avoiding too much direct combat. Pokemon is...not it? I just have no idea why people compare the two other than 'they're both on switch'.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cinderace is my friend and I will not allow this slander

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Framboise posted:

Preordered.

Also Wooloo is great.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i'm not going to hold gamefreak's first foray into switch (and what, third foray into modern 3d?) to the standards of breath of the wild. despite being a launch title for the switch (and a fantastic game) nintendo has a shitload of technical expertise and experience and the advantage of being a first-party developer. a more valid comparison is probably FE:3H which, according to some guy in this thread, was also ballooned up by bringing in an outside company with a lot of technical expertise. at the end of the day i don't care too much if there's atrocious pop-in (and i probably wouldn't notice if you guys didnt point it out) because it's probably going to be a fun game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The fire and water both are too human shaped with proportions that feel too much like a different series entirely

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saagonsa posted:

Cinderace is my friend and I will not allow this slander

have fun with Josh! He looks like a nice boy!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ambaire posted:

OTOH, making pokefriends with a teapot and a ice cream cone and a crow. I think my argument is better.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

Gonna have to take that review with a few, ahem, boulders of salt.

i'm not about to take this anywhere near as seriously as you because that honestly sounds miserable, but none of that is anywhere near as jarring as people have been hyper-overreacting over, to me, tbh and it doesn't really bother me at all. even breath of the wild had wonky draw distance sometimes and that game is a goddamn masterpiece (though i am not anticipating swsh to be anywhere close to its caliber but i could also be pleasantly surprised)

also keep in mind he very explicitly says he was very limited in what he was allowed to show, time-wise.

maybe the game just isn't for you if that is something you are that bothered about.

Blaziken386 posted:

while the hair donuts are a little silly, I think they're cute in a dorky way :shobon:
also I like her color scheme and her weird skirt/shorts thing

don't get me wrong she's adorable, but she's got pretty heavy competition when almost every other girl character's design is fantastic

Mr. Whale posted:

game... good?

i trust that it is. game good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

i'm not going to hold gamefreak's first foray into switch (and what, third foray into modern 3d?) to the standards of breath of the wild. despite being a launch title for the switch (and a fantastic game) nintendo has a shitload of technical expertise and experience and the advantage of being a first-party developer. a more valid comparison is probably FE:3H which, according to some guy in this thread, was also ballooned up by bringing in an outside company with a lot of technical expertise. at the end of the day i don't care too much if there's atrocious pop-in (and i probably wouldn't notice if you guys didnt point it out) because it's probably going to be a fun game.

I like Fire Emblem Three Houses but after the slow slow slog it becomes in the back half I'm all for games being too short rather than too long

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I can't imagine what a mainline Pokemon game would have to do to get me to not like it. Suddenly turn it into an RTS I guess?

It sucks my good friend Psyduck can't join me, but my new good friend Monterrey Jack from Rescue Rangers is gonna destroy the Elite Four or whatever

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
Mannn the Pokemon reddit is wild right now, angry gamers basically forming a social media guerilla campaign to take down Gamefreak and prevent people from buying the game...I wish people were half as passionate about the impeachment inquiry. I just want new cute fanart when the game drops.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aladdin posted:

Mannn the Pokemon reddit is wild right now, angry gamers basically forming a social media guerilla campaign to take down Gamefreak and prevent people from buying the game...I wish people were half as passionate about the impeachment inquiry. I just want new cute fanart when the game drops.

Reddit would be anti-impeachment.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Game okay

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Aladdin posted:

r/Pokemon is loving garbage lol

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I like Fire Emblem Three Houses but after the slow slow slog it becomes in the back half I'm all for games being too short rather than too long

i agree wholeheartedly. it's especially a thing with big AAA games (ubisoft :argh:) that they're these big sprawling things with so much to do and so much to see and 100+ hours of content and yadda yadda yadda. but realistically, i have perhaps four hours a day to play the vidya (many people have less); time, loving time is the biggest constraint. if a game has like, 200 hours of content and i have maybe 25 hours a week, that means that one, singular game is basically a month-long project and i'm going to get bored of it long before then. poo poo, if i had a dollar for every half-completed game in my steam library. so if i don't get my money's worth that's fine but if a game wastes my time, nuh uh, gently caress off. it's the same reason i played through Moon once and never touched US/UM; i just couldn't bring myself to do it again because there's such a slog getting through the cutscenes and the first island and all that crap.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Those starter evolutions are absolutely perfect, I love them all. Have they implemented a way to choose the gender of your starter yet? I try to catch all female Pokemon for girl power teams but it's been a very long time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm really tired about hearing about reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Cartoon Violence posted:

Those starter evolutions are absolutely perfect, I love them all. Have they implemented a way to choose the gender of your starter yet? I try to catch all female Pokemon for girl power teams but it's been a very long time.

probably not, but historical trends have starters at 1/8th female so if you don't mind a couple resets you should be ok.