Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

every few months I think "you know, i bet the conklin duraflex is better than I give it credit" and nope, it's always still complete trash.

edit: just bought what HAVE to be fake Parker Sonnets on ebay for shits and giggles. hopefully what ever they are isnt unusable

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The fake Parker Sonnet I got off of Aliexpress wrote better out of the box than any of the three real Sonnets I've bought.

Also, new Delta day

Probably the most non-Delta Delta I've ever bought.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's a very sexy pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

The fake Parker Sonnet I got off of Aliexpress wrote better out of the box than any of the three real Sonnets I've bought.

Also, new Delta day

Probably the most non-Delta Delta I've ever bought.

Classy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It is easily the thinnest fountain pen I've ever owned, and pretty much the thinnest I've ever seen. At it's widest point, it's the same diameter as a short international cartridge. Thankfully it came with it's own cartridge, or it would be completely unusable.

Edit: Whelp, after doing some research, it turns out that the pen was likely made in Germany or Austria, and was rebranded by a number of European brands. It just so happens that I got one with Delta branding. Good enough

grack fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 3, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Hey guys, I am selling my pens. Well almost all but two metro's and this is not a joke.
I just am not sure what to ask for them, right now they are gathering dust and yeah, I am really slimming down on stuff I am keeping.
While I am aware this should officially go in SA-mart, how about this is a question on pricing?

From left to right
- Some Sheaffer I dont know the model of
- A (fake?) Mont Blanc Meisterstuck
- some Parker
- blue Waterman Hemisphere
- two weird round waterman
- black/gold Hamisphere
- Waterman, vintage model?

edit: I missed a close-up

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 3, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The ballpoint is a Parker 45 Flighter

The two Waterman pens in the middle are Kulturs

The Waterman at the bottom is a Forum

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

So apparently there's a Montblanc Meisterstück 149 with a flexible nib as a limited edition and it seems like it's an actual, modern, flexible nib and my desire to own a 149 has grown even greater.

edit: with a good feed, even!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWNSotzqQXM

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It’s alright — more flex than, say, an FA but not full on the way old nibs are. If you really want to spend that money you can get an actual vintage 149 with a better nib and feed.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I started using fountain pens a few months ago, and I just picked up a Parker 51 Vac. on Ebay for a good price. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to send it to get it fixed up? Right now the plunger sticks, and I think the diaphragm might need replacing. I'd like to do the work myself, but realistically I don't actually have the time.

Cursory googling returns http://www.parker51.com/ as one possibility, and I'd love to know what the denizens of this thread have to say about them or other U.S.-based options.

Thanks for your help!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

fanny packrat posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to send it to get it fixed up? Right now the plunger sticks, and I think the diaphragm might need replacing. I'd like to do the work myself, but realistically I don't actually have the time.

I sent mine off to Brian at Anderson Pens for pretty much the same thing, and he did a great job, not too expensive either.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Goulet is giving away a bunch of nice pens for their 10th anniversary giveaway. It's only a sign up and you're entered thing, no liking Facebook pages or following Twitter accounts that I can see.

https://www.gouletpens.com/pages/giveaways

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It's baaack! :toot:

Fountain Pen Secret Santa sign-ups are open!

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

atholbrose posted:

I sent mine off to Brian at Anderson Pens for pretty much the same thing, and he did a great job, not too expensive either.

Cool, thanks. I'll drop them a line and see what they have to say. I also decided to see what Parker would recommend; I'm not expecting much, but they did ask me to send them pictures.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New Delta day today (aka day that ends in -y)!

Also yellow, so one step closer to both my "All the Deltas" and "Rainbow of Deltas" goals.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
That’s not a pen, that’s a banana

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a request, although it's probably a bit specific.

I want to get a couple of notebooks, preferably with some quality cloth binding, with some dot grid or blank paper, preferably with Tomoe River or similar quality, and preferably with a blank cover or one without a logo on it, very minimalist. Does anybody have recommendations for that? No hardcover notebooks, please.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A Seven Seas standard writer perhaps? http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/copy-of-seven-seas-standard-a5-blank-journal.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Heath posted:

I have a request, although it's probably a bit specific.

I want to get a couple of notebooks, preferably with some quality cloth binding, with some dot grid or blank paper, preferably with Tomoe River or similar quality, and preferably with a blank cover or one without a logo on it, very minimalist. Does anybody have recommendations for that? No hardcover notebooks, please.

Check out the Seven Seas line of notebooks from Nanaimo: All Seven Seas and Accessories

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We've been doing these on private sale:
https://tinyurl.com/MusubiPreview2019
https://tinyurl.com/MusubiBank2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You guys are fast, thank you. Kessel, do the Musubi ones only come in one size? I have a hard time picturing exactly how big A5 is. I think I'm shooting for an A6, as I would like it to be roughly the size of an average paperback book - so bigger than a trade paperback, but not by a lot. I'm planning to use it as a book journal for notes on things I'm reading.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Heath posted:

You guys are fast, thank you. Kessel, do the Musubi ones only come in one size? I have a hard time picturing exactly how big A5 is. I think I'm shooting for an A6, as I would like it to be roughly the size of an average paperback book - so bigger than a trade paperback, but not by a lot. I'm planning to use it as a book journal for notes on things I'm reading.

One size, yes. A6 is too small for your needs:

A6: 105 x 148mm
US trade paperback: usually 136 x 216mm
A5: 148 x 210mm (slightly wider than trade but slightly shorter)

I'd recommend A5; it's perfectly good as a book journal. However, if you must have it be larger, the closest next ISO size would be B5 (176 x 250) — which I think is out of scope for you as it's simply too large vs a paperback.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Heath posted:

Here is a pretty dope conversion tool I stumbled on. Allows you to compare different sizes against one another; I compared A5 vs the US standard 8.5" x 11" letter size.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, A5 looks good, thank you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you've got some A4 on you just told it in half and you've got A5. Or if you've got letter do the same and think just a bit wider.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have ordered the Musubi notebook and it got shipped out within like 15 minutes of me placing the order. That's some service.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Heath posted:

I have ordered the Musubi notebook and it got shipped out within like 15 minutes of me placing the order. That's some service.

Our target is <12 hours but I’m compelled to try for some absurd fulfilment times

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
After getting a flop with the LAMY 2000, I decided not to replace it and instead look at something entirely different. The Diplomat Excellence A2 had caught my eye before, and since I wanted to go through a reputable dealer this time, I decided to order one from Goulet:

(the lighting sucks in my apartment right now, sorry. I might try for a better picture of the nib)

After a few weeks of using it I've fallen in love with it. It's all metal, classy as hell, has a good flow, and unlike my Metro, it has good ink capacity and rarely leaks around the nib, if ever. It's pretty much everything I wanted out of a fountain pen. My only concern now is turning into Grack But With Diplomats; they make some pens in the $40-$80 range that I might want to collect later on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jabarto posted:

After a few weeks of using it I've fallen in love with it. It's all metal, classy as hell, has a good flow, and unlike my Metro, it has good ink capacity and rarely leaks around the nib, if ever. It's pretty much everything I wanted out of a fountain pen. My only concern now is turning into Grack But With Diplomats; they make some pens in the $40-$80 range that I might want to collect later on.

Hey hey hey, I only have 29...

Wait

*checks eBay*

30 Deltas!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmmm

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am unreasonably stoked for the Musubi notebook. I feel like I need to dedicate a pen to it so that it has a nice consistency and doesn't look like a Lisa Frank disaster like my other notebooks do.

Kessel, the unique grid layout really sold me on it. Dot grid is cool but I don't care for the look of it, and I've always found it hard to accurately count rows and columns, but having the center and alternating lines marked is a great idea.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Heath posted:

I am unreasonably stoked for the Musubi notebook. I feel like I need to dedicate a pen to it so that it has a nice consistency and doesn't look like a Lisa Frank disaster like my other notebooks do.

Kessel, the unique grid layout really sold me on it. Dot grid is cool but I don't care for the look of it, and I've always found it hard to accurately count rows and columns, but having the center and alternating lines marked is a great idea.

I agonised hard over the cross grid design for what felt like months. We were tweaking everything from the exact colour (the TR and Bank Paper versions are a different Pantone each because the papers take the ink differently) to the exact dimensions of the lines, crosses and arrows.

- the centre X is basically for folks who need to find it quickly, like students drawing graphs, or someone wanting to pie chart the centre of the page or do a mindmap
- the centre lines are open arrows so that you can quickly divide the page
- the rows down each vertical edge are marked with a dash instead of a cross every five lines, which is subtle enough to not get in the way but extremely helpful for counting rows
- the squared off design on corners and edges is so that folks wanting to draw squares for East Asian etc. languages and calligraphy practice can do so

Sometimes it’s the little things. I like working on obsessive details.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a preferred Noodler's red? I really love Black Swan in English Roses except that it's got some very long dry times on nice paper. Is there anything that's as friendly as Heart of Darkness? That stuff is basically a perfect ink.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fox is a good ink, but but you pay a little more for a lot less ink. I've tried both Widow Maker and Rattler Red Eel, but I don't remember what their dry times are like. Antietam is a fun color, but takes forever to dry on decent paper.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wish Berning Red was still available. I know it's meant to be mocking of him but the label is hilarious.

How about Tiennanmen? I've always been curious about that one.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Noodler’s Qin Shi Huang is a fun good red. I do have a bottle of Berning Red, and it’s good. I hadn’t realized it was limited edition. (Is he gonna do one about Warren?)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Tienanmen is a fantastic red, give it a go.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Tianamen is great. Nikita’s all right too.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Are there cheaper 1.1 stub alternatives for the TWSBI 580 ALR? $20 for a nib seems a bit steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It takes a #5 nib I think? Goulet serious their branded #5 nibs for $14.